High gain AT screens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-28-2016, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 109
High gain AT screens

Throw them at me and help me understand how to avoid hot spotting.

I'm looking for 13' to 17' wide paired to a Sony vw1100es with a throw distance of up to 32'. The further back the pj will be located the lower it will be mounted (closer to center of screen).

Viewing angle can either be four seats wide or three seats wide. I have four wide now with my 13' wide 1.5 gain Stewart perf which I can see the perfs so goal is to not see perfs from my first and second row. I see them clearly from 12.5' and can make them out from second row on occasions around 14-15' when not reclined.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-04-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Throw them at me and help me understand how to avoid hot spotting.

I'm looking for 13' to 17' wide paired to a Sony vw1100es with a throw distance of up to 32'. The further back the pj will be located the lower it will be mounted (closer to center of screen).

Viewing angle can either be four seats wide or three seats wide. I have four wide now with my 13' wide 1.5 gain Stewart perf which I can see the perfs so goal is to not see perfs from my first and second row. I see them clearly from 12.5' and can make them out from second row on occasions around 14-15' when not reclined.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Alex
I don't know of any AT screens above 1.1 or so. I'm just guessing 1.1 because my SMX AT screen is noticeably brighter than screens that claim 1.0 gain. If you know of one I'm all ears!
post #3 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I don't know of any AT screens above 1.1 or so. I'm just guessing 1.1 because my SMX AT screen is noticeably brighter than screens that claim 1.0 gain. If you know of one I'm all ears!
There are companies that make perf screens with smaller perfs than Stewart which I have that can produce gain up to 2.8 but I just don't know which ones are available to the general public since some of these companies only sell to cinemas.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
There are companies that make perf screens with smaller perfs than Stewart which I have that can produce gain up to 2.8 but I just don't know which ones are available to the general public since some of these companies only sell to cinemas.
The only 2.8 gain screen I ever knew of was the High Power from Da-Lite, long discontinued. It was not AT. I've never heard of a 2.8 gain AT screen and would be interested in sources. My setup requires AT and a higher gain screen would let me close the iris down and get even better contrast out of my RS500.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The only 2.8 gain screen I ever knew of was the High Power from Da-Lite, long discontinued. It was not AT. I've never heard of a 2.8 gain AT screen and would be interested in sources. My setup requires AT and a higher gain screen would let me close the iris down and get even better contrast out of my RS500.
RealD makes a couple (2.1-2.2/2.8) with more than double the amount of perfs or at least more than twice as small as the Stewart perfs but they are cinema dealers and very very expensive.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
RealD makes a couple (2.1-2.2/2.8) with more than double the amount of perfs or at least more than twice as small as the Stewart perfs but they are cinema dealers and very very expensive.
Try reading this - http://www.accucalhd.com/wp-content/...een_report.pdf

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #7 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Will you be able to state exactly how expensive those RealD screens are? I never received the quote from Peter.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
What was it that I missed? I read pretty much everything that was relevant to high gain and Stewart but didn't see much that was anything new or that jumped out at me.

I have an all black room (walls, ceiling, carpet, and chairs) and have the 1.5 gain studiotek perf screen that is great from a distance but just not perfect from my front row since I can see the perfs. The perfs are small 300 micron from memory but RealD is 150micron and supposedly smoother and fewer sparkle issues and no cleaning issues. I didn't notice any other manufactures in that doc that offered similar but like I said I could have missed it. My concern with higher gain is PJ mounting from ceiling since I want to keep my shorter throw that's right in the middle as far as brightness/sharpness for my screen size.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 07-05-2016 at 03:26 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ive also seen this screen for close viewing but yet again it's for cinemas and would most likely be very expensive and hard to acquire.

http://www.harkness-screens.com/proj...erlux-220.html
post #10 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
What was it that I missed? I read pretty much everything that was relevant to high gain and Stewart but didn't see much that was anything new or that jumped out at me.

I have an all black room (walls, ceiling, carpet, and chairs) and have the 1.5 gain studiotek perf screen that is great from a distance but just not perfect from my front row since I can see the perfs. The perfs are small 300 micron from memory but RealD is 150micron and supposedly smoother and fewer sparkle issues and no cleaning issues. I didn't notice any other manufactures in that doc that offered similar but like I said I could have missed it. My concern with higher gain is PJ mounting from ceiling since I want to keep my shorter throw that's right in the middle as far as brightness/sharpness for my screen size.
I don't know much about the RealD screen myself. I didn't see what the gain is after perf'ing it. I'd be interested to see a sample.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #11 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I don't know much about the RealD screen myself. I didn't see what the gain is after perf'ing it. I'd be interested to see a sample.
Supposedly just under their rated from what I can tell. It's right at 2 and rated at 2.1-2.2. Yea I'm working on a sample to test the seam issue or non seam issue lol.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 96
In the weave (not perforated vinyl) category the highest gain tight-weave fabric I'm aware of is the Severtson SAT-4K with "rated" gain of 1.2 which I've visually confirmed to be brighter than the Seymour XD material but with sparkles. You can read more reviews of AT materials in my thread: AT screen for 8.5’ viewing distance: manufactured screen fabrics & spandex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page