AVS Forum banner

DaLite HighPower Angle Pictures and AB compare to High Contrast Matte White

60K views 250 replies 97 participants last post by  ed_robyn 
#1 ·
OK. A lot of people have been wanting this. This site has helped me out a lot in my decision making, and I hope this helps to "pass it along". Due to reasons I won't bore anyone with yet, I ended up with a Dalite Model B High Contrast Matte White, and a High Power Screen.

I'm shooting a 1HD (Z1) Ceiling mounted.

What follows are is a short review, and a series of pictures comparing the HighPower to the HighContrast Matte White. And, a picture showing the brightness change at extreme angles.

I have a short AVI Movie also I'll link to, showing the change in brightness as I rapidly move around the room.

The Short Review:

The HCMW gives better blacks. The black bars visible on the screen when watching 4:3 video on my 16:9 projector, are almost black, and not at all noticeable. You also have complete viewing location flexibility, with no loss in brightness. But, you can't easily clean the screen, and it isn't as bright as the highpower. Waves are noticeable on this screen.

The Highpower does change in brightness as you move around the room, but very minimally. It seems to fluctuate about 10% visually from one extreme to the other. NOT AT ALL as bad as a rear projection TV. Not even close. Blacks are a bit less black, but the picture is more vibrant, colors pop more, and it can be cleaned. Waves are noticeable, but much less so, and only when scenes are panning and your eyes happen to track over a wave in the screen. It is much much better in that regard.

My vote? I'm definitely keeping the Highpower. Can you sit on the floor and watch TV? YES. Does it get brighter when you stand up from a seated position? (ceiling mount projector) yeah a bit, but not as much as you might think. I'd say you lose about 5% sitting, and another 5% when on the floor. (see movie if you want to see it in 'live action')

What follows are the images, and a link to the movie. (hopefully if I can get it uploaded)

Enjoy and i hope this helps people who were in the same boat I was, unable to decide between screens. All they hype about High Power, is true. It really is as good as everyone says.

-Jason W

See less See more
#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch /forum/post/0

I guess so...

I am switching from 106" 16x9 High Power Dalite Perm-wall to a smaller matte white so if anyone wants a great screen in a smoke-free environment PM me otherwise it will go to auction in a week or so.

The High Power is a nice screen and i wouldn't let the "view angle" or ceiling/floor mount effect your buying decision really. For a pitch-black theatre and close view distance it can be overpowering however.

For manual pulldowns it's also pretty much wrinkle-free.

You have mail!

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw15851 /forum/post/0

OK. A lot of people have been wanting this. This site has helped me out a lot in my decision making, and I hope this helps to "pass it along". Due to reasons I won't bore anyone with yet, I ended up with a Dalite Model B High Contrast Matte White, and a High Power Screen.

I'm shooting a 1HD (Z1) Ceiling mounted.

What follows are is a short review, and a series of pictures comparing the HighPower to the HighContrast Matte White. And, a picture showing the brightness change at extreme angles.

I have a short AVI Movie also I'll link to, showing the change in brightness as I rapidly move around the room.

The Short Review:

The HCMW gives better blacks. The black bars visible on the screen when watching 4:3 video on my 16:9 projector, are almost black, and not at all noticeable. You also have complete viewing location flexibility, with no loss in brightness. But, you can't easily clean the screen, and it isn't as bright as the highpower. Waves are noticeable on this screen.

The Highpower does change in brightness as you move around the room, but very minimally. It seems to fluctuate about 10% visually from one extreme to the other. NOT AT ALL as bad as a rear projection TV. Not even close. Blacks are a bit less black, but the picture is more vibrant, colors pop more, and it can be cleaned. Waves are noticeable, but much less so, and only when scenes are panning and your eyes happen to track over a wave in the screen. It is much much better in that regard.

My vote? I'm definitely keeping the Highpower. Can you sit on the floor and watch TV? YES. Does it get brighter when you stand up from a seated position? (ceiling mount projector) yeah a bit, but not as much as you might think. I'd say you lose about 5% sitting, and another 5% when on the floor. (see movie if you want to see it in 'live action')

What follows are the images, and a link to the movie. (hopefully if I can get it uploaded)

Enjoy and i hope this helps people who were in the same boat I was, unable to decide between screens. All they hype about High Power, is true. It really is as good as everyone says.

-Jason W

Just wanted to tack on. Finally got my HP and everything Jason said about the the HP is right on the money!! Got mine ceiling mounted as well. Thank you Jason!

Gerald

#204 ·
I had the Optoma Graywolf with my Infocus 4805 and was quite unhappy with the picture. After reading a bunch over here, and demoing samples I bought the Hipower and have had it for about 2 months. Couldn't be happier. Everything said here is true. Build quality is great, colors are vibrant, and waves are not noticeable at all (so far..) I like the bright picture so far, but I'm going to try an ND2 filter and see if I like that better.

Money well spent..

#205 ·
This thread has convinced me to go with the high power screen. Brightness is my #1 priority. Thanks for the great information

My only problem is that the permawall and other fixed screen versions of the high power are much more expensive than the pull-down. My ceilings are too low to get a pulldown and I'm to cheap to pay for the permawall. Has anyone tried to build their own? What about cutting the fabric from the pulldown and using wallpaper adhesive to attach it to a primed piece of plywood or other material? I also thought of using velcro around the entire perimeter of the fabric and attaching it that way.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

#206 ·
I'm about to take the plunge for the HP da lite, but not too sure if it's too bright for me. Da lite sent me some samples, but there only 6" big so it's very hard to tell the differences between them.

My setup: Z4, 120" home elite (1.0 gain), 23'10 ceiling mounted (7' 6") and seating is 15'.

I was interested in the video spectra but didn't think the gain was enough when seated. So the HP looks promising but would hate to special order a screen that I'm stuck with (like my Home Elite screen). Dvd's through HDMI look great but just doesn't pop and my SD material is already blown out. I can hopefully compensate for the SD material by bringing contrast and lens iris down. Also, definately need a electric screen, damn playful dogs...

Any suggestions?

#207 ·
I have no desire for a rolling screen. I am without children and pets and want a permanent screen. Unfortunately, the perm screen prices are out of this world. My plan is to buy the 96X96 High Power model B cut it down to a 54X96 screen (1.78), sell the remaining ~41X96 (2.35). I figure this could get the price down under $200. I already have a frame built for my BO screen (YUCK!!!!). I would attach a nice trim wrapped with velvet (another $60 total). Does anyone see any problems with this plan?? I had intended to go with Goo but it seems like this wouldn't cost me too much more and I don't have to sweat the painting while keeping resale options open.

My Panasonic 300 (I don't want to hear it, I still love this thing) is ceiling mounted (~7'), my back row is on riser and eye level is ~70" from floor, 16 feet from screen. I figure this should give me a pretty sweet gain from my back row. Unsuspecting visitors will be in the front row which will not be nearly as bright but they are always thrilled just to see a big screen like that anyways. I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow unless someone can give me a reason not to (before my sample piece from Da-Lite even gets to me)

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxs /forum/post/0

This thread has convinced me to go with the high power screen. Brightness is my #1 priority. Thanks for the great information

My only problem is that the permawall and other fixed screen versions of the high power are much more expensive than the pull-down. My ceilings are too low to get a pulldown and I'm to cheap to pay for the permawall. Has anyone tried to build their own? What about cutting the fabric from the pulldown and using wallpaper adhesive to attach it to a primed piece of plywood or other material? I also thought of using velcro around the entire perimeter of the fabric and attaching it that way.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't have to cut material from a pull down, DaLite screen materials can be had all by themselves.

#209 ·
C'mon! Your name is Cutman!

You can GET the material all on its own but as discussed at length (even on this thread I believe) it is still cheaper (by up to 50%!!) to buy a B and cut the material out of it than to buy the material itself. Makes no sense but thats the way it is sold.

#211 ·
I've asked this question in another thread, but it is very relevant to this one, so let me put it to those of you here:

I am considering two possible screen set-ups that are feasible for me: (1) a HiPower, with the pj on a stand about 3 to 4 ft high, ~ 13.5 ft from the screen (i.e., centered right on the middle of the screen). Thinking of a 110" (diag) screen, viewed from ~ 12 ft. (2) a Firehawk, with the pj ceiling mounted ~ 7 ft off the floor and ~ 16 ft from the screen. My room is fairly dark, but not a 'bat cave' (i.e., light colored ceiling and walls, and some light through windows with closed mini-blinds--but not direct sunlight).

Does anyone with some experience in these matters know which screen will be more satisfactory in this situation?

#212 ·
First off I am no expert and have not even seen either (though I am very close on the HP) but it seems to me these two screens are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The HP is a very high gain retroflelective screen with a fairly tight viewing angle. The firehawk is an angular reflective screen that is DARK gray. It has better gain than almost any gray screen out there but due to the gain and color it hotspots and has sparklies. Great screen when ceiling mounted and importance of blacks is considerable, but it also costs CONSIDERABLY more. I really don't even put these two in the same category as their benefits are dissimilar. Value wise I think if you can table mount the HP and can sit in the captain's chair you would have a hard time matching the HP. Tryg's exuberance sold me on it. Just waiting for AVS to give me a quote but after MUCH deliberation I decided on an HP.

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand /forum/post/0

First off I am no expert and have not even seen either (though I am very close on the HP) but it seems to me these two screens are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The HP is a very high gain retroflelective screen with a fairly tight viewing angle. The firehawk is an angular reflective screen that is DARK gray. It has better gain than almost any gray screen out there but due to the gain and color it hotspots and has sparklies. Great screen when ceiling mounted and importance of blacks is considerable, but it also costs CONSIDERABLY more. I really don't even put these two in the same category as their benefits are dissimilar. Value wise I think if you can table mount the HP and can sit in the captain's chair you would have a hard time matching the HP. Tryg's exuberance sold me on it. Just waiting for AVS to give me a quote but after MUCH deliberation I decided on an HP.

I understand that they are quite different, and need to be set up differently (I can set up either one correctly). My question (several posts up) was which one would be more effective in a non-totally light-controlled situation. I understand that the FH's gray screen rejects ambient light better, but the narrower viewing cone, and higher brightness, of the HP works in its favor. It just isn't clear to me--since I can't see them in action--which would be more satisfactory.

#214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/0

I understand that they are quite different, and need to be set up differently (I can set up either one correctly). My question (several posts up) was which one would be more effective in a non-totally light-controlled situation. I understand that the FH's gray screen rejects ambient light better, but the narrower viewing cone, and higher brightness, of the HP works in its favor. It just isn't clear to me--since I can't see them in action--which would be more satisfactory.

I suggest you order some samples and take a look at it yourself as people have different ambient light situation.

In my application I've rule out Firehawk as it is similar to my graywolf in rejecting ambient light. I'm down to either HP or Silverstar.

#215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedtsc /forum/post/0

In my application I've rule out Firehawk as it is similar to my graywolf in rejecting ambient light. I'm down to either HP or Silverstar.

Will be interested to hear which you choose. I've read that the SS is very poor with ambient light because it has such a wide viewing cone (which can be good if you're needing this, though).

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/0

Will be interested to hear which you choose. I've read that the SS is very poor with ambient light because it has such a wide viewing cone (which can be good if you're needing this, though).

I was surprised too but when I tried the samples SS looks brighther and had better contrast than HP. Firehawk and graywolf have much less ambient rejection. BTW my ambient light condition refers to natural daylight.

#218 ·
I just got my HP sample. I was really surprised at how much the blacks lightened up. There is so much punch to the screen that I think I am still going to go for it but if black level is an issue to you I would grab a free sample from Da-Lite before you make your decision.

#219 ·

Quote:

I was surprised too but when I tried the samples SS looks brighther and had better contrast than HP. Firehawk and graywolf have much less ambient rejection. BTW my ambient light condition refers to natural daylight.

You say that the FH and GW have "much less ambient rejection" than the SS. Don't you mean that they are less affected by ambient light than the SS?

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand /forum/post/0

I just got my HP sample. I was really surprised at how much the blacks lightened up. There is so much punch to the screen that I think I am still going to go for it but if black level is an issue to you I would grab a free sample from Da-Lite before you make your decision.

True. But then this depend on your projector to do the black level.

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by albo75 /forum/post/0

A lot of folks speak about ordering samples of Da-Lite's screen material from their website, but I've found nothing there that allows me to do that. Should I just call them and make the request?

Yep - they'll mail a 12" X 12" sample of any of their materials directly to you. The sample is a good indicator of the quality of the HP material but I found it difficult to get a good perspective of how a whole screen would look. I was constantly holding it at arms length in the middle of the night with a movie on moving it up, down, left & right. I tell you, if my fiance wasn't already convinced I was obsessed with my projector that night must have pushed her over the edge!

The sample is nice but it doesn't do the screen justice - you just have to see it. I am continually impressed with the silky smoothness of the picture and the eye popping colors it throws at you. Another member here described the HP as being almost 'magical', I'd have to agree.

#226 ·

Quote:

At this point SS wins being able to reject ambient light IN MY SETTING as well as provide a bright and good contrast in the overall picture.

Very interesting. From earlier posts (e.g. one thread comparing the Screen Innovations 'Mirage', a Stewart Firehawk, and the SS) with ambient light, the SS was noticeably poorer. Of course the Mirage is VERY expensive, and the FH somewhat more than the SS. But on the basis of your experience, it sounds like the SS is worth another look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.