AVS Forum banner

Stewart GrayMatte 70 discussion

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Ftoast 
#1 ·
I own a screen with the material and would like to share some views with other owners or experts. My set up is 109" screen paired with JVC 7000 projector (about 3.5 m throw distance and 3.65 viewing distance).
I have a light controlled living room, but with light colored walls and celling.
I am satisfied with the level of brightness produced by this combo in the low lamp mode.
I also like the structure of the screen, which is very uniform and free of artifacts (such as hotspotting, sparkling, etc.).
The ALR properties are very modrate (as described by Stewart).
What bothers me, however, is the pink/blueis tinge that this screen material gives to the image. I noticed it immidiately after I started using it.
So far I only tried to calibrate my PJ using the JVC autocal software and while it help to eliminate most of this effect, I still notice some of it. I will keep trying to calibrate further, but would be grateful for any advice or experience from the fellow owners.

#8 · (Edited)
I noticed that. But if you look at the description of other material like StudioTek 100 or even GrayHawk, they use stronger terms like "reference", "superb color and white field uniformity", etc.
Anyway, I tried the white paper trick and both, my wife and I noticed color temperature shift on the paper. Not much, but still. I need to find a proper way of illustrating it on a picture. I searched this forum and I found that someone else has similar experience here.
I'm still hoping to fix it with calibration.

Edit: I found where I read about the color newtrality of thsi material. It was Don's recommendation in another thread )
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...ejecting-screen-ahead-cedia.html#post46875465

#9 ·
There's only one definition of neutral density, and that's something that affects light of all wavelengths to the same extent causing no change in color. With all due respect for eyeballing, I would trust Stewart Filmscreen products described as having neutral density to be as advertised unless proven otherwise by properly conducted instrumented testing. Hopefully Don Stewart will show up soon to explain what might be going on here.

#10 ·
If you are seeing the pink push on white paper then that rules out the screen as we all expected. You need to ask your question in a thread about JVC 7000 or in a thread about calibration.

The color push could be coming from the projector or your light-colored walls. In both cases a calibration specific for your projector and room is what is needed.

#11 ·
In the meantime you might find a temporary compromise/fix by slightly lowering your projector's Color setting..just a couple clicks lower. This can often help remove overly pink/red pushes in skin-tones.
If you only have CMS controls and no usable Color setting (many displays will grey/lock out your main Color setting when you're using the an HDMI input), you could slightly lower your CMS red and/or magenta Saturation and Luminance/Gain..only a very small amount, once again.

When screens themselves cause a pink-ish push (any color-push, really), you tend to see them in everything, particularly whites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.