Really need help choosing screen color - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
post #1 of 8 Unread 03-07-2017, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Really need help choosing screen color

I cant decide between Screen Innovations slate 1.2 gain or pure white 1.3 gain. It's going to be a 133" zero edge screen.

I've attached some pictures of the unfinished room. The ceiling and screen wall are being painted flat black, the side walls will be light grey. I still can paint the entire room darker if I need to, although WAF could be an issue.

The room is 19 feet wide so there will be 4 feet on each side of the screen, I hope that helps with light reflection.

I would say about 30-40% of the time, the room will have some ambient light, it could be my kids watching a movie in the basement during the day or when we have a gathering, at that point there would be lights on in the back of the room. The other 60-70% of use will likely be at night with almost no ambient light.

The screen will most likely be paired with a JVC RS520, still need to make that decision as well.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

The third picture shows the screen wall, the other two are to show the ambient light that will be coming in the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2011689   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2011697   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	2011705  

Last edited by HTMatrix; 03-07-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Unread 03-07-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 949
If you're investing in a JVC you obviously put a high priority on black levels, so it makes sense to do as much as possible to keep ambient light at a minimum during those times when you aren't viewing in the dark. That's a fairly serious amount of ambient light from the windows. Do you have any flexibility to add moveable coverings (blinds, curtains, etc.) over those windows if after getting the projector up and running you find there's too much screen washout during daylight hours?

Assuming that you will be doing your critical viewing in the dark and only casual viewing in ambient light it makes sense to try to get the best screen for viewing in the dark and compromise more on image quality with ambient light when image quality will be less critical. The more you control lighting and room treatment the less you need to rely on compromising the screen. Obviously in a perfectly dark theater room a 1.0 gain matte white screen has been the standard with the fewest artifacts such as reduced viewing cone, sparkles, sheen, hot-spotting, etc.
HTMatrix likes this.
post #3 of 8 Unread 03-07-2017, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will have some type of window coverings on the windows once the house is finished, but I won't be using black out curtains or anything like that. Whatever is used will need to be aesthetically pleasing as well.

For the screen innovations zero edge 5 series, I'm stuck with 1.3 gain white or 1.2 gain slate. With just those two choices, would you still go white?

My AV guy will kill me if I try to switch brands and I really love the LED lights and zero edge.

post #4 of 8 Unread 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked: 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMatrix View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will have some type of window coverings on the windows once the house is finished, but I won't be using black out curtains or anything like that. Whatever is used will need to be aesthetically pleasing as well.

For the screen innovations zero edge 5 series, I'm stuck with 1.3 gain white or 1.2 gain slate. With just those two choices, would you still go white?

My AV guy will kill me if I try to switch brands and I really love the LED lights and zero edge.
Make sure all lighting is on dimmers, and that they are switched so that if you want a little light at your seating, there are no lights on that shine on your screen.

I'd go with a white screen, and get some nice heavy drapes that will block that light coming in. Treating the room is the most important thing you can do.

Heavy velvet drapes with blinds behind them do wonders -

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #5 of 8 Unread 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Craig, I agree, dimmers are a must in the basement. My wife didn't agree due to cost but it will be worth it.
post #6 of 8 Unread 03-08-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 949
I agree with Craig. It's generally accepted that anything up to and including 1.3 gain white is OK but anything beyond 1.3 gain will most likely show at least some artifacts.

On your window coverings, blackout curtains can be aesthetically pleasing. In our home we have some nice looking window curtains that have black, light-blocking fabric on the side facing outdoors. When closed they block out virtually all outside light but look good from inside the house. You just have to shop around for ones that suit your interior decor.
post #7 of 8 Unread 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I ended up ordering right before your post. I went with slate 1.2 gain, my AV guy insisted that I wouldnt like the white with that room and that I would love the slate. I hope he is right.

He does have an advantage in that he has been in the actual room multiple times and knows my intended use. I do plan to have a pool table in back of room etc., this is more media room then theater.

The more I think about, the lights etc. will be on more then I think, I hope the kids use the room a lot and in that case, lots of ambient light.

Now I'm down to last two pieces of the puzzle, the projector and blu ray player.

Last edited by HTMatrix; 03-08-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMatrix View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I ended up ordering right before your post. I went with slate 1.2 gain, my AV guy insisted that I wouldnt like the white with that room and that I would love the slate. I hope he is right.

He does have an advantage in that he has been in the actual room multiple times and knows my intended use. I do plan to have a pool table in back of room etc., this is more media room then theater.

The more I think about, the lights etc. will be on more then I think, I hope the kids use the room a lot and in that case, lots of ambient light.

Now I'm down to last two pieces of the puzzle, the projector and blu ray player.
I have the Firehawk in a room similar to yours and it definitely helps when there is ambient light. White screen would not have been the best option for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens