Motorized Screen in Reverse - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Motorized Screen in Reverse

Hi Folks, first post here -- looking to purchase a Benq 2050 and a ~120" motorized screen. I'd like to mount a retractable motorized screen behind a beam that runs across my ceiling. With this setup I'd mount the screen to the back of the beam and would then need the screen to retract down facing the front (which would be the reverse of how the screen normally faces). Do you know if this is possible? Can you take a motorized screen apart easily to configure the screen backwards? Do they sell like this out of the box?

Please see the enclosed pic of the room and beam setup. Beam closest would mount the projector and furthest beam would mount the screen. Again, I'd like to mount the screen behind the beam to allow for a stealth install. Beam separation is 14'.

PS: I know there's tons of ambient light so I plan to use this at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170323_164914669.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	2045313  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The BenQ HT2050 needs to be between 10' and 13' 1" lens to screen for a 120" screen. You state its 14' between beams so that is one issue you need to rethink. Mounting the screen to the back of the beam should be easy with an extended hook as screens can be hung from chains.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
Old Today, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You're right, I'll have to bump up to a 150" screen.

Can you clarify your mounting suggestion? I didn't quite understand.

Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The screen cases that I have seen (I have an Elite that I used to use) have loops on top of the case and can be hung from chains or cables to hang off of high ceilings. Just use long hooks screwed into the back of the beam and hang the screen from them instead of from hanging chains.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
Old Today, 12:28 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked: 3212
Even electric screens with metal tabs for ceiling mounting could be mounted behind that beam - a heavy L shaped metal bracket could be used, whether you can use one you find off the shelf at Home depot, or have a local metal shop weld two up for you.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement