Elite Cinegrey3D folds/creases? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Elite Cinegrey3D folds/creases?

Anyone else have this problem? I have the material stretch very tight with no wrinkles on a 135" fixed frame. HOWEVER, there are creases every 8 inches or so they will not go away and are viewable when watching from 14 feet away. This seems very odd to me because the material was rolled on a tube and was delivered safely. I assure everyone that in order to make the 135" screen, the Cinegrey3D is pulled very tightly across the entire frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	53
Size:	6.86 MB
ID:	2264250  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170807_093418.jpg (1.28 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20170807_093223.jpg (1.75 MB, 29 views)

Last edited by EazyM3; 08-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 707
They look like marks/creases from the end of a tight roll.
If they're too stubborn, is there any kind of warranty/exchange possibility (I'm assuming not, but it doesn't hurt to ask)?

I've heard that sometimes a gentle heat-source can help in similar situations involving rollup screens or screens that have been in storage.
Hopefully someone with more hands-on experience fixing this kind of problem will chime in because I've heard a few decent recoveries.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #3 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 193
This is a common problem with fixed frame screens. Which is why I avoid them like the plague now. I have never found a way to fix this issue. Warning you now, dealing with any customer service issue with Elite Crooks is going to be a blood pressure increasing, I.Q. lowering experience.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 View Post
Anyone else have this problem? I have the material stretch very tight with no wrinkles on a 135" fixed frame. HOWEVER, there are creases every 8 inches or so they will not go away and are viewable when watching from 14 feet away.
They sometimes disappear after a few days. And a hair dryer may help.

JVC DLA-RS400
HCFR v3.4.x Bug List
post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I got a cinegrey 3D screen that has what looks like wrinkles at first glance, but they are in fact coating defects. The ALR coating has irregularities in the surface finish or reflectivity, but the screen is perfectly flat. These are never going to go away. In addition to the vertical lines in your pictures, did you notice the diagonal lines?
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldius View Post
I got a cinegrey 3D screen that has what looks like wrinkles at first glance, but they are in fact coating defects. The ALR coating has irregularities in the surface finish or reflectivity, but the screen is perfectly flat. These are never going to go away. In addition to the vertical lines in your pictures, did you notice the diagonal lines?
Changing the subject slightly:
I just received the CineGrey3D "Designer Cut" (raw screen material) and found the screen very dark. The gain is rated at 1.2, but I would estimate it to be about half that, based on meter measurement. I am barely getting 50 nits on the 120" screen, with aperture wide 0 but normal lamp power.

The projector is ceiling mounted and the angle is appropriate for angular-reflective screens.

What has your experience been?

JVC DLA-RS400
HCFR v3.4.x Bug List
post #7 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sorry, I don't follow how you equate 50 nits to screen gain, as gain is a ratio, not a specific brightness.

I know that my screen has a significant gain over an equivalent non ALR shade of grey, but I haven't measured it.

Are you sure the material is not facing backwards?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldius View Post
Sorry, I don't follow how you equate 50 nits to screen gain, as gain is a ratio, not a specific brightness.
I also said
Quote:
The gain is rated at 1.2, but I would estimate it to be about half that [i.e., about 0.6], based on meter measurement.
50 nits is the "standard" luminance for home theatre. My comment was that the screen is barely bright enough with my projector; whereas with my previous matte white screen I was getting about 90 nits and had to close the iris to reduce the brightness to 50 nits.

Quote:
Are you sure the material is not facing backwards?
There are stickers on the back labelled BACK SIDE. The back side is noticeably more glossy.

JVC DLA-RS400
HCFR v3.4.x Bug List

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 09-07-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page