Carada Screens....Opinions? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
fyi... actual lumen output for the L300 in a HT application is somewhere between 392 - 610, depending on your settings. see the L300 review on projector central for more info.

Everyone has a purpose in life. Perhaps yours is watching television - David Letterman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ron,

My main reason for mentioning the High Contrast Grey is due to the black levels on the L300U. But notice I said "I'd go with our High Contrast Grey if it were MY theater" (emphasis on MY). As I mentioned earlier, it really does depend on the viewer's personal preferences.

As Joe mentioned above, he compared our HC Grey to our Brilliant White, and for his particular screen size, viewing room conditions, AND tastes, he chose the Brilliant White. There is no "right" or "wrong" choice.

So don't worry if you do end up preferring one of the white materials over the HC Grey. You wouldn't hurt my feelings :D

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

What image do YOU want to project?
post #93 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 AM

David and others,

Good comments and points. I will let you know which sample fits my taste.

Thanks again for the responses....

David, you being on the forum is much appreciated. As another poster above has already commented, it helps me easily decide who I want to do business with... Ron
post #94 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi David,

To be precise, the FireHawk has a gain of 1.3, and yes I've compared it to our High Contrast Grey. The FireHawk is definitely going to give you brighter whites and colors within it's viewing cone. But as I'm sure you've read, the viewing cone on the FireHawk is somewhat narrow, and somewhere around 30-40 degrees off center the image from the FireHawk is about the same brightness as our HC Grey (and the FH becomes DARKER at more extreme viewing angles). So you'd have to decide if that would be a disadvantage or not with your particular seating arrangement.

The flip side to the lower gain of our HC Grey, is that it does show better black levels in a light controlled environment. But the FH is very good at rejecting ambient light and in higher ambient light levels, it's going to have the better blacks. So if that's a problem for you, the FH would be a good choice (if you don't mind paying for it).

I'll be glad to send you a piece of our High Contrast Grey, and if you can get your hands on a piece of FireHawk, you can decide for yourself if it's worth the extra $$$.

Just let me know,

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #95 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 08:47 AM

just wanted to comment on the outstanding service i received with my recent order from carada... props to david... can't wait for it to get here!
post #96 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 10:12 AM

Just to let you know I am not to concerned with the deep blacks most people are concerned about as well...i think the pt-l300u puts out very nice blacks on a bedsheet....i currently have it projected on a white wall and it looks great to me and anyone who views it...once my new home is completed i will be ordering from david as he shows a great passion for his business and it seems his customer service is second to none..:)
post #97 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 04:53 PM

Joels1010,

Is that a queen or king size bedsheet??? :)

My L300U should be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing it on my basement wall.

Thanks...Ron
post #98 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 05:09 PM

David:

I am getting close to making a decision on the Benq 8700 even with out the luxury of seeing on in person.
I will be ordering one of your 96 x 54 screens also but not sure of material type. If you have seen a 8700 Projected on your screens, can you please give us you opinion of the different Materials & the 8700.
I will be projecting in a light controlled room.

Thanks Alex
post #99 of 454 Old 10-28-2003, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Alex,

I haven't had the opportunity to see the BenQ yet either (hope to get my hands on one soon). But based on all the comments and opinions I've read about it's performance, I'd recommend you go with the 1.4 gain Brilliant White.

In Steve Smallcombe's review of the 8700 (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...or-8-2003.html) he used a 102" diagonal 1.0 gain matte white screen, and raved about the "involving" and "bright sharp punchy image" he was getting. He measured an output of about 600 lumens from the projector (properly adjusted for home theater), which gave him approximately 19 footlamberts off his screen.

On a 110" screen, with our 1.4 gain Brilliant White, you'll get just a slightly brighter image (about 4 more footlamberts) than Steve was seeing on his smaller screen. Or if you don't feel you need that brightness, you could go with our Classic Cinema White and get about 16.5 fL

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #100 of 454 Old 10-29-2003, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Received my 110" Carada screen yesterday. Custom-built and delivered in just a few days. Installed on the wall in 45 minutes. Nice fit and finish.

Had a white sheet on the wall and thought that looked ok. WOW....what a difference! The whites are white and the blacks are black!

Kudos to David and Carada! Great product....great service....great price.

Rupert
post #101 of 454 Old 10-29-2003, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Rupert,

Glad you're satisfied! Please tell all your friends and family (and strangers on the street if you feel the urge!) :D

But my curiosity has gotten the better of me. We don't have a "Rupert" on file as a customer. What name did you order under?

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #102 of 454 Old 10-31-2003, 10:33 AM

David,

I'm ordering an IF SP7200 Today. I also just sent and email to your website looking for advice. I will need a screen somewhere between 100-106 inches. Like everyone else, I'm trying to determine material type.

The room is light controlled. What do you recommend?

If I decide I want to change materials, Is there a way I can order just the screen and replace it in the existing frame? What would that cost?

Thanks,

Bob
post #103 of 454 Old 10-31-2003, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Bob,

If you have any more questions that I didn't answer by e-mail, please let me know.

Thanks!

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #104 of 454 Old 10-31-2003, 02:30 PM

After a prompt email reply from David to a question, I've ordered a Carada screen today. I'll post a report on the screen here at AVSForums when it arrives.

--- Mark
post #105 of 454 Old 10-31-2003, 02:33 PM

I received my screen yesterday, but didn't have time to set it up. I'll post a report and photos either over the weekend or early next week.

jim

Everyone has a purpose in life. Perhaps yours is watching television - David Letterman
post #106 of 454 Old 10-31-2003, 03:58 PM

Carada Screen Buyers,

When you post your impressions, be sure to tell us what material, screen size, and PJ you're using them with.

That'll help us FUTURE Carada screen buyers out quite a bit.

Thanks!!
post #107 of 454 Old 11-01-2003, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

I ordered and received my screen from David this past week. After a few emailed questions I purchased a 100" 4:3 screen in Cinema White last Saturday. It arrived Weds in perfect condition (I might live closer to them than some of you). The screen was packaged very carefully and arrived in perfect condition. The simple instructions were easy to follow and about 45 minutes after opening the package I was using the screen. I replaced a Parkland screen that I had built and now that I have I wish I'd just saved the time/effort/money and bought this screen to begin with. I cannot say enough good about my experience with Carada Screens and David. I'm posting a few pictures for those that want to see.

Cheers...
LL
post #108 of 454 Old 11-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Put together...
LL
post #109 of 454 Old 11-01-2003, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Finished...
LL
post #110 of 454 Old 11-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Oh yeah, the projector is an X1 mounted on the back wall being driven with a HTPC. The attached picture is recorded OTA HD and the pictures have been color reduced and resized so I don't think they do justice to the final product but it does look good to me.
LL
post #111 of 454 Old 11-01-2003, 09:37 AM

There have been several posts regarding the BenQ PE8700 and Carada screens. Here's my experience.

Several months ago, I began a project to turn my upstairs gameroom into a semi-dedicated theater room. After painting, blackout blinds, rugs, seating, pillows etc...I had to decide on equipment. I set a self imposed budget, and ended up purchasing a PE8700 and Carada screen, which fit nicely withing the budget. I also purchased a Kenwood 7070 THX Certified receiver & Bravo D1 DVD player hooked up by DVI cable. I continued to use my Klipsch speakers & subwoofer.

About the BenQ PE8700: It's heavy...well built. We hung it from a 10 foot ceiling using a Peerless mounting system. The mount is attached to the ceiling by 2 pieces of 1.5" wood that are secured into the ceiling studs. The wood is painted the same color as the ceiling and blends in beautifully. The PJ sits about 3 feet directly over the seats, so, for those sensitive to PJ noise, this could be a problem. The BenQ projector has a tendency to cycle between two speeds, as has been well documented. Fortunately for us, the noise is not distracting, as it simply sounds like white noise...A/C noise. We don't really notice it unless it is a quiet scene, and the PJ cycles from one speed to the other. However, we aren't very high maintenance with regard to noise...as we have 3 kids that have probably desensitized us somewhat to a perfectly quiet theater room.

The screen: As mentioned, we converted a game room into a semi-dedicated theater room. We have light control if necessary, but, we often leave the door open so we can hear what's going on with the kids in the room. This, of course, results in SOME ambient light. When we watch movies, however, we can shut the doors and achieve a very dark viewing environment. We purchased a 110-inch Brilliant White Carada screen for seating 12'6" away (16:9 aspect ratio). David also sent us two nice sized pieces of HC Grey & Cinema White screen materials...just in case. We took 3 or 4 days viewing the materials side by side (not individually as many like to do). Anyway, the BenQ doesn't seem to put out the full 1000 Lumens...I would guess somewhere in the 600-700 area is probably accurate...just by eyeballing. I don't know if the 2000:1 contrast ratio is legitimate, but, the BenQ PE8700 has NO problem with black images IMO. Only those that demand CRT type blacks would have a problem with the blacks that the PE8700 projects...and if that sounds like you, then, the Carada HC Grey screen would be a great choice. The BenQ combined with the HC Grey projected absolutely awesome blacks....deep, rich black images. However, if you're like me, it was at the expense of a "dim" picture, so, I didn't care much for it. Since I moved from a rear screen television to a FP system, I was used to a brighter, punchier image, and the HC Grey screen didn't work for me. IMO, I think most viewers moving from a rear-screen system to a FP system may have a problem with the grey screen...takes a little bit of getting used to. For us, the Cinema White and Brilliant White screen looked very comparable. Not a whole lot of difference in black images, but, a slightly brighter color output on the Brilliant White screen . Since ambient light was an issue for us...we ended up going with the Brilliant White. The image the BenQ projects on the Brilliant White is absolutely terrific....black images are very good (the BenQ does a VERY nice job in that area IMO) and wonderful colorful colors.

I appreciate those that will go out on a limb and provide a recommendation...so here's mine. If you demand a CRT type black, go for the HC Grey, but, be prepared for an adjustment period if you're moving from a regular TV to a FP TVB. The grey really does look different than the white (when side by side) If you have complete control of ambient light, then the Cinema Classic would be a good choice because it probably delivers a slightly better black image, but, I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in my viewing environment. Therefore, if ambient light is ever a concern, I'd recommend the Brilliant White screen. With the PE8700, it produces very nice black images, and the accompanying colors are bright and punchy. A terrific combination IMO...I am thrilled with the results.

A short word on my Carada experience. I hired a local HT professional to assist me with the project. He also happens to be a Stewart dealer. When we hung the screen, he said he thought the quality of the frame and screen were comparable to his Stewart screens. He said that the Carada was a little easier to hang however. Also, Carada had the best customer service experience I've had in a long time...professional, prompt, and bent over backwards to make certain I had all the information I needed before purchasing...the 30-day refund provided for peace of mind.

Hope this was helpful to those looking at the BenQ PE8700 - Carada combination. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll give you frank, honest feedback based on my experiences and personal preferences.

Good luck.
post #112 of 454 Old 11-01-2003, 03:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the comments guys!

How about some snapshots Kyle?? :)

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #113 of 454 Old 11-02-2003, 12:16 AM

Kyle T,

Excellent Review!
post #114 of 454 Old 11-03-2003, 01:50 PM

Here is my .02:

Background
I'm a first time FP owner and have an Infocus X1 in a dedicated HT in my basement, ceiling mounted at ~15', projecting onto a sheet hung on the wall (until this past weekend). We're sitting on a sectional anywhere from 9-15' from the screen. My DVD player is a Panasonic XP50 connected to the X1 via component cables. Digital cable comes into the X1 via svideo. My audio is made up of a Marantz receiver and ACI speakers. Oh, and I'm a real person, not a member of the Carada sales team - check my posts.

The Delivery of my screen
I ordered a 110" 16x9 Classic Cinema screen. As I've mentioned before, Carada (David) is extremely responsive to email, courteous and provides a first rate customer service experience. I received the package in great shape and took the time to look everything over before beginning assembly. The frame members and screen were very well wrapped and protected during delivery by multiple layers of bubble wrap, foam sheets, etc. During my inspection I found nothing wrong with the contents of the package. I was very impressed with the finish on the frame. The fabric wrap is very well done.

Installing the wall brackets takes a little patience and a level. Find the studs and screw the top bracket to the wall. Measure down the proper distance and screw in the bottom bracket. This is the tricky part. Carada gives the distance from the top of the top bracket to the bottom of the bottom bracket. IMO, a measurement to the top of the bottom bracket would be easier, since that's the edge you're trying to level. This is a nit really, since you can simply do some math and find that distance. But anyhow...

Putting together the frame is a relatively straightforward process (unlike the toy horse I put together for my daughter on the same night - what a chore that was). The screws pull the corners together nicely and in the end you'd be hard pressed to find a seam. Install the top and bottom bracket with a couple of more screws. The screen snaps on the rear of the frame and is slightly undersized so it pulls tight and flat when all the snaps are done.

Carefully lift the screen and place on the upper wall bracket and then "snap" the screen onto the bottom bracket. It's done!

Elapsed time: 45 minutes*
* - It took me a bit longer to install the wall brackets because I had to build out around/inside a basement window to give the upper wall bracket a flat surface. The 45 minute estimate is conservative if you are installing on a flat wall. I'd be shocked if it took someone longer than an hour, provided you have a screw gun to put the wall backets up (I'd recommend hand tightening all the screws on the frame).

Feedback
I can't say enough good things about my Carada experience so far. Excellent customer service for a great product with very high WAF. Speaking of my wife, she thought I was a little crazy when I was stringing wires for FP last winter, but she a convert now. When she saw the screen up on the wall this weekend her response was "Wow - that's a lot nicer than I was expecting." I couldn't have said it better myself.

I haven't had a chance to properly calibrate the pj with the new screen, but set to 50 on all settings it looks very good. It really looks like I have a 110" tv hanging on my wall. David thinks his 1x2" frame looks better than the "boxy" 1.5x1.5" frames of his competitors - I think he's right. Everyone that's seen it has been impressed with the quality/finish of the frame. I thought the picture looked pretty good on the sheet - it's a whole lot better now. You may be able to DIY for less, but I didn't want to take the time, trial and error.

Feel free to PM me with questions or post requests for more info or pictures. I think the photos posted earlier by mpenton are similar to what I had taken during the install so I won't duplicate... and screen shots are so subjective.

Jim

post #115 of 454 Old 11-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

With the Sony HS20, a table mount, and a room with well-controlled ambient light, would it be better to 1) change the projector settings to output less light, but a greater contrast image on a high-gain screen or 2) set the projector to output more light, but a lower contrast image and use a grey screen?

ericlhyman
post #116 of 454 Old 11-03-2003, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

ericlhyman,

Well just for the sake of argument, let's say that in a "perfect" room (i.e. no reflections whatsoever), you could achieve the exact same black levels and brightness from method #1 as method #2.

Then in an "imperfect" room, method #2 would be more desirable. Even a room with well-controlled ambient light isn't usually perfect. You're still going to get a certain amount of reflected light back off the walls, ceiling, furniture, YOU, etc.

That reflected light would be absorbed by the low-gain grey screen, therefore helping to preserve your real-world black levels. The high-gain screen would do the opposite, and MAGNIFY the reflected light when it hits the screen.

On another note, most high-gain screens tend to have somewhat narrower viewing cones than low-gain grey screens (except for the FireHawk, which has a pretty narrow viewing cone).

Now all this doesn't mean that you can't have a totally enjoyable viewing experience with a high-gain screen. But theoretically, method #2 wins.

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #117 of 454 Old 11-04-2003, 04:20 PM

Received my screen Monday, assembly was a snap. I have to say how impressed I am with the quality of your product and most important to me is the attention you give the customer. Thanks, Garry..

I love Hi Def
post #118 of 454 Old 11-06-2003, 07:47 AM

here's a long shot of the screen on my wall... still working on a solution for the components, center channel and wire management, but we're 95% of the way there! very comfortable way to watch a movie.
LL

post #119 of 454 Old 11-06-2003, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

jim,

at 15', i'm guessing your X1 focus must be zoomed all the way out..??? according to the infocus calculator, you need more than 15' to project a 110" diagonal 16:9

just curious..
post #120 of 454 Old 11-06-2003, 12:27 PM

i may not be at exactly 15', but i'm pretty close to maxing out the zoom - i'm planning to move the mount back a little the next time i get a chance. consider it part of the fine tuning process. there's plenty of room back there and i have the cable...

Closed Thread Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page