Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 11-02-2003, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I have church today at 10:30 am and 4:00 pm with Dinner AND a sneaky stint over at a Client's home to install 12 Tactiles into two risers and the floor. THAT I WILL do on a Sunday. If'n I hafta.

The Masking system is based on a definative setting as far as Height is concerned. Only width is adjustable. the main qualities lie in ease of adjustment, and "Lay Flat" properties. If a Frame is used, it must have the proper thickness. Otherwise, Curtains cover all at the edges.

And remember, i haven't read any threads that might exist on the subjecr so if anyone finds me getting redundant, speak up!

Amen.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #93 of 100 Old 11-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have started a new thread to show off my One-coat solution. Please check it out as I believe it improves the brightness in ME (although it doesn't improve the blacks as I'd hoped).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=320794

Something profound

post #94 of 100 Old 11-02-2003, 11:23 AM

MississippiMan,
Thanks for your reply.

Here are my specs.

Sharp DT200 Thego. It's not the best projector I know, but brand new for $1000 I could not pass up the chance to enter the HT arena. During my initial setup I projected against a plain window shade and I find the image spectacular.

Lumens 600
Contrast ratio 1200:1

My theater is in a portion of my finished basement. I can control the light quite well and get it completely dark if necessary. On the otherhand, I can also turn off the lights in the HT area while keeping the other lights on and the image is still very sharp and not washed out.

The HT area is not so large (12'x14') so I am not going for a massive screen. I am planning on about a 72-78 inch screen (diagonal dimension in 16:9 mode).

The projector is 800x600 (4:3) format so when I view widescreen images I have the dark gray bars top and bottom. To deal with this, my widescreen side of the screen will have a generous (apprx 6 inch) masking.

When I project the image my width remains constant and only my height changes with the dvd format. (4:3 format movies are taller than 16:9 movies). This is why I am planning on a 4:3 side and a widescreen side of the screen. Otherwise I will have huge top and bottom bars for 2.40:1 movies.

Projection distance will be about 8-9 feet. Front row (eye to screen) will be about 8 feet and the second row will be about 13 feet.

With 800x600 resolution I don't want to go with much more of a 72-78 inch screen because it may be too large for the front row views and the pixels start to become noticeable. At 72 inches I am thrilled with the image even from the front row.

I agree with you now about the 20 pound comment. I think 30-40 pounds is probably more realistic. But still I think it will be reasonable to flip the screen to change for the standard vs. widescreen formats.

Lastly,
I realize we will never have perfection but stiving for it is fun. I don't plan to make a career out of HT screen production. I imagine I will make my screen and enjoy the results. I also expect perhaps an improvement or two as time marches on and new and improved paint formulas are created.

Thanks again.

John
post #95 of 100 Old 11-02-2003, 09:15 PM

Another thing.

I am setting up my screen size to see what gives a sharp image and fit the room. I had a 1:1.78 dvd in and I measured the width of the image to be 66 inches and the height to be approximately 40-41 inches. Shouldn't the height be 37.08 inches in a 1:1.78 aspect ratio image?

What am I missing here? Does it have something to do with my projector being a native 4:3?

John
post #96 of 100 Old 11-03-2003, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Most movies (that aren't 2.35:1) are actually 1.85:1 - so you image should be even shorter than that. Sounds like maybe a zoom feature? Have you checked the aspect ratio on your pj to see if you are zooming?

Something profound

post #97 of 100 Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 AM

Yes I have. I also put in a movie that is 1:1.85 and the projected width is 66 inches and the height is 40 (giving me an aspect ratio of 1:1.65) where it should be 36.

If I adjust the manual zoom on the lens, the aspect ratio does not change.

John
post #98 of 100 Old 11-03-2003, 11:03 AM

Missing Metallic Silver!

I went to 2 Home Depots in central Connecticut and was told they no longer carry the Metalic Silver. Does anyone know where else to buy it? Lowes sells a plastic bottle of metallic silver stuff in their Faux section. Does anyone know if it's equivalent?

John
post #99 of 100 Old 11-03-2003, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

What you want, Johnstof, is EXACTLY what you saw,

SILVER METALLIC GLAZE..., "NOT" just "Silver Metallic" paint. They are NOT the same thing.

..and it should be in the Faux paint section of Home Depot

Comes in a Quart Size.

But any SMG from any Faux Paint store will do. Just get it, and get on with it!
:mad: :p ;) :D :D :D :cool:

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #100 of 100 Old 11-03-2003, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

What cha got?
The mix is variable based on PJ's luminosity. type, and any ambient lighting considerations.

Could wind up anything from a 'greyish' off white, to light grey, to such a dark grey you'd think it wouldn't work.

Just relate the requested facts and I'll respond accordingly.

..but, the Base is always 4/5th SMG, and 1/5th Ultra Pure White -Flat.

Any Silver Metallic Glaze will do, it doesn't have to be Beir. Ditto with the UPW -F Everyone is just used to the convienence of shopping at HD. But hit any Sherwin Williams and I betch they'll have it!

To quote James T. Kirk;

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page