Motorized Screen Will Not Come Down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-11-2004, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.

I posted the message below in the CRT section (didn't realize there was a separate scrren forum). I believed it was a problem with my PJ, but now after seeing the scrren forum, it looks like I may need a 12V trigger. I looked at the screen motor when my PJ was installed - 8 years ago, so I am not really sure what's there. Is this as simple as finding a cheap part at Radio Shack? MY PJ powers the screen on and off. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Vidikron Screen Retract Problem
Hi. Was hoping someone could help me... I am out of the country for 2 weeks and wife just called me to tell me that the motorized screen on our Vidikron VPF40SE will not come down. I am not sure who makes the screen. It comes down about 2 feet and then retracts.

I had promised myself that if this PJ ever died, I would not get it fixed. I wanted to go to a 16:9, LARGER screen. I have had the Vidikron for about 8 years and it has died twice - once under warranty and once not. It has been working very well for quite a while, but I think I would like to go with a different brand if I replace this. My screen is about 80" Diagonal but is it 4:3.

Anyway, does ANYONE out there know a way to fix this - remotely... I will have to talk the wife through the problem (I know..., a pipe dream!) I really don't feel like spending $500 for a service call/part to keep a 9 year-old PJ going. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Now, IF it is determined that I need a service call (I guess that means a new PJ!), I have some questions... First, I want wide screen, but... I currently use a networked ReplayTV with DirectTV on this PJ. The picture quality with the Replay (pixellation) isn't great but I think it is pretty darn good - even at 80" Diag. My replay cannot handle HD signals, so I really won't be using the PJ for HD (OK. MAYBE for DVD's, but I really don't like DVD's - Hate the clutter, hate renting & returning, etc...) I like PPV, plus I have tons of movies saved on my Replays (320 hours each).

So... first, can anyone recommend a dealer/installer in the Northern NJ (Bergen County) area? I bought the Vidikron from Stuart's Audio/Video in Westfield, NJ, but they are sort of far away. I paid about $8,000 + intallation and I probably am willing to spend up to $10k for a new unit. I guess I will need a new screen and some new moulding to go around it. I have a standard 8' ceiling, so I can't go too big. Any thought on types of PJ's - CRT, DLP, LCD, etc.. I haven't really kept up with the technology, so that is why I am asking. Any brand that will give me the most bang for my buck? I do like high-end stuff, so I really hate to cut corners, but it's a shame that I will be spending all this $$ to watch a large 16:9 screen through a ReplayTV. I just can't part with my Replay - it is just TOO good! Who knows, maybe in the future I will upgrade to HiDef ReplayTV??

Looking forward to a quick reply (or 10!)

Thanks!!

[i][color=blue]

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-12-2004, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK. Problem has fixed itself... Not sure why - maybe the PJ was overheating?? But it gave me the opportunity to start researching new PJ's. Oh boy. this looks like it's gonna cost me...

Jeff
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page