Official Optoma Graywolf screen thread. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if there is a How To, if say I wanted to purchase the 106 & make it into a fixed screen?

Any/all input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Most likely not yet, since this is a relatively new screen. But you sound like a volunteer!...
post #93 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

MnkyBiz,

That is my current plan as well... I have a DIY screen that has a boarder and a removable center frame for the screen. Currently I have BO as the screen but assuming the 1.8 gain screen can be pulled tight, I'll probably staple it over the BO... I'll have to see if the screen can take such abuse.

Bob
post #94 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

So now that we agree that this screen is not as good for ceiling mounted projectors...here is a good question...

What would be the gain on the ceiling mounted projector compared to a table projector assuming that the table gain is 1.8?
post #95 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora View Post

What would be the gain on the ceiling mounted projector compared to a table projector assuming that the table gain is 1.8?

It completely depends on the angles and so there is no one number. And the true angle needs to be used, which includes offset both horizontally and vertically. Here I have converted curves for the High Power with a .45 multiplier and believe this is pretty close for the GrayWolf for gain at different angles:
Code:
0 ----- 1.4
5 ----- 1.13
10 --- .92
15 --- .63
20 --- .43
25 --- .36
30 --- .33
35 --- .31
40 --- .29
45 --- .27
50 --- .27
55 --- .26
60 --- .26
--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #96 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 04:19 PM

Mark down another white screen from buy.com. I'm done with them. It will be interesting to see if optoma can help or if I'll just need to pay more from someone else.
post #97 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 04:21 PM

Bummer
post #98 of 1914 Old 07-14-2005, 06:28 PM

i just forked over the money to purchase the screen from bb.com and no matter it wasn't worth the money, or dealing with the incompetent employees. so i have decided that i will return this screen just because of my adventure and i don't deal well with pitiful customer service. that said, i haven't even had a chance to project onto the screen, but tonight it should be getting a good test. i've already made sure to get it hung and pulled down to kill that smell. i think if you bought this screen and a projector and tried to go home and watch for the first time you might blame the projector for the headache because although the smell wasn't overbearing it was definitely powerful. the texture i believe darin hit spot on. its not exactly uniform but it seems to be from even a short distance. i checked to see if i could spot the texture with the lights on full blast in the room and no luck. due to the larger size of the screen, i purchased the 106" model, i had to find a new location and so the only projector at my disposal is an x1 with many many many hours on the bulb, somewhere in the upper 3000's but i can't be sure right now. hopefully the screen can still give me a good image but it will be a while before i can get another projector down and move it. i'll be sure to provide any information i can and with various lights on and off in the room to see just how well this screen will perform. i might only use part of the screen since i dont have a light cannon and its on its last leg. this will help me see just how well those inconsistencies in the screen really show up if hit with a few more lumens.
post #99 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 AM

once the projector hit the screen the waves disappeared! viewing angle seemed much wider than high power the screen really gave me a beautiful crisp image SDE greatly reduced ( this is with the x1 and results may vary. the lines basically blended into the screen and i could definitely sit much closer to this screen than with a high power)

then i turned on the lights sitting close to the projector was ok, but either side was out of the question. the high power i can have lights on one side of the room, sit on the other as if they weren't on. not so with this screen. i had a lamp tucked in a corner away from the screen and the image was still washed out. was very upsetting because i thought this might have a chance. i think for those with light cannons thinking about the high power this is a much better choice. i think it would have better color saturation in ambient light with a few more lumens hitting it. i really want to get ahold of some other projectors and have some comparisons.

very film like image. i liked the fact that even though i wasn't completely filling the screen the gray color didn't stand out like the high power. for the first time with the projector i felt as though i was in a theater. hard to explain but usually the high power has a very sharp 3d image. although you could say dingy and muddy colors with the gray wolf i would have to disagree. instead they just felt perfect. of course i'm used to watching HD and the best i had was composite. it did remind me of just how well the x1 can perform with sdtv though. i'm going to connect some quality source material tomorrow and see what results i can achieve.

with the high power i can easily notice the viewing cone when moving around. thankfully with the graywolf it was barely noticeable. however, the cone may be the same its just that the high power is so bright in the cone that its easier to tell. i will edit this tomorrow and provide a better more concise summary once i have had time to tinker with settings.
post #100 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 01:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootron View Post

once the projector hit the screen the waves disappeared! viewing angle seemed much wider than high power

Just want to check one thing to be sure. Does the case say GrayWolf on it?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #101 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 AM

How high on the wall should the case be mounted with the 92" version for optimal viewing , about 12' back on a regular sofa?
post #102 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 06:56 AM

One of the most frustrating aspects of this screen is trying to find a reliable vendor with a good price. If you search the part no. for this screen, you will see that a lot of vendors have it listed as a matte white screen with a black case. A few have it listed correctly, but it looks like some of those are still shipping the wrong part.
post #103 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem is that the matte white screen with black case is the same part number as the Graywolf screen with white case.

I ordered mine a few days ago from B&H photo. They assured me I would get a 1.8 gain Graywolf with a black case. I now know that doesn't exist. I'm curious which one I'll get -- I'm guessing it will be the matte white screen.

Steve
post #104 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 AM

the box clearly stated graywolf 1.8. the case also says graywolf on it
post #105 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 12:28 PM

SSJ2

Please let us know how it all works out, becuase I would like to have the Black case also. Heck I would be happy just to know I was getting the Graywolf screen.
post #106 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just remember guys, dont let the white case be a deal-breaker. Roll it up and set upon it with a can of KRYLON and you'll be in business in about 10 minutes.

In fact you could probably do it as FlatBlack instead of the gloss that comes on most black cases, further reducing the chances of light reflectivity.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #107 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The white case will actually be a benefit for me initially because it's in my living room and will look better when it's not dark (80% of the time we're in the room). Once I build a dedicated HT (obviously only in use when dark), I'll be using a 2.35 screen and will thus need a different one anyway. Good point about how easy it is to paint it though, HeadRusch.
post #108 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post

The problem is that the matte white screen with black case is the same part number as the Graywolf screen with white case.

I ordered mine a few days ago from B&H photo. They assured me I would get a 1.8 gain Graywolf with a black case. I now know that doesn't exist. I'm curious which one I'll get -- I'm guessing it will be the matte white screen.

I'm also curious to see what you get as I was going to buy from B&H. I'm north
of the border (Canada) and doing exchanges across the border is a real PITA.

Hopefully these ordering bugs will be ironed out soon.

Dave
---
"Better to burn out then fade away"
post #109 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
I'm back, Retro-relect screens being better for a table or low shelf mount doesn't mean they won'twork good and solve problems for ceiling mount users, we been setting up ceiling mounted with the Retro-reflects for years and happy. You'll get a brighter picture than mat white 1.0. I'll run a test but if the graywolf reacts like the HP we'll drop to near 1.3 or 1.4 gain using a ceiling mount.

The screen gets bonus points for lowering reflections users with white walls and ceilings get, like Darin just said.

Plus a non-tensioned pull down that won't show waves badly with video on it.

Then an amount of added gain. It has it's uses, love it with the H79.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #110 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Tom, seriously....I'm sure I speak for everyone here.

If you go away on vacation or business, please, let us know. We were worried.
We were about to send out the Dogs

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #111 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I'll run a test but if the graywolf reacts like the HP we'll drop to near 1.3 or 1.4 gain using a ceiling mount.

You're already near 1.3 to 1.4 gain if you are at the projector with the GrayWolf. For your eyes at 42" off the floor and the projector 7.5' (or 90") off the floor and 16' from the screen, for the straight ahead spot from the viewer, the angle is about 16.8 degrees. I believe the gain is then about .56 for the GrayWolf and about 1.25 for the High Power.

--Darin

post #112 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

With my ceiling/shelf mount the PJ center lens is at 6.5" up from the floor, 12' back from the screen. Where am I at now?

What I did with the HP and the light meter is, face the meter to the screen just off side of the lens, then same facing I dropped the meter to where my eyes would be. I got a .08 difference.

With the H79 I see plenty of gain power. Way too much with the HP screen though. Much happier with the Graywolf. You've tried your H79 with both, which look do you prefer?

I have a spare Cosmo roller with Mat White on it same width size, so I'm thinking of carefully installing the Graywolf to it. I like the fact I can hang the case high and use the Graywolfs huge dropdown. You've figured it out haven't you this is a 120" 4.3 screen with large masking at the top, very useful for me.

Using the GW with a 16.9 dropdown I can't get a the 2" border spot, anybody get a clean stop at a 2" border at the top? I wonder if there's and adjustment inside to fix this problem? If I'm going to be taking it apart I guess I'll find out.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #113 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Tom, seriously....I'm sure I speak for everyone here.

If you go away on vacation or business, please, let us know. We were worried.
We were about to send out the Dogs

I only said something about the beach Vac in this thread. New hot item

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #114 of 1914 Old 07-15-2005, 10:32 PM

the viewing cone and ambient light are a bit more frustrating than i thought before. of course with lights off it produces a beautiful image from all seating positions. however once the lights come on you really have to be close to get a visible image.

i have a friend bringing an hc3 over but probably not for another week. its a very bright projector with very visible SDE. hopefully this screen will reduce the SDE that is so visible on white screens. also, i believe the added ability to retain a little contrast when ambient light is present will be a huge benefit and a great match.

edit: i'm really excited to see how well this setup works because it could be a great new deal for people on a very tight budget. the hc3 dropped in price and can be found very cheap and the screen can be found cheap, especially when compared to the high power. poor contrast at 500:1 is disheartening nowadays, but for entertainment rooms and nondedicated areas it could be a crowd pleaser.
post #115 of 1914 Old 07-16-2005, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

You're already near 1.3 to 1.4 gain if you are at the projector with the GrayWolf. For your eyes at 42" off the floor and the projector 7.5' (or 90") off the floor and 16' from the screen, for the straight ahead spot from the viewer, the angle is about 16.8 degrees. I believe the gain is then about .56 for the GrayWolf and about 1.25 for the High Power.

--Darin

Would a reflective gray screen material with a .8 - 1.1 gain (I.E. Da-lite HCCV/HCMW) provide more gain for a ceiling mounted projector? Other than eliminating the visibility of screen waves, does a retro-reflective gray screen offer benefits that a reflective gray screen does not?

Steve
post #116 of 1914 Old 07-16-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"With my ceiling/shelf mount the PJ center lens is at 6.5" up from the floor, 12' back from the screen. Where am I at now?"

I've tested visually the difference in brightness with the Graywolf by standing up and sitting at the viewing spot many times. The brightness ofcourse will drop a little but to my eyes it's still very bright when seated. More then livable brightness level with added blacks, colors look excellent also. Any time you start adding more blacks the colors increase in depth also.

You should see the Incredibles on this screen. Anybody else that's ceiling mounted their PJ with this screen want to chime in on the perceived difference when testing standing up vs the seated viewing spot?

This weekend I'll wait for a pictch black enviroment and get the light meter out to give you a sure idea on the light difference with a ceiling mounted PJ.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #117 of 1914 Old 07-16-2005, 12:57 PM

Waiting on pins and needles to hear if someone has cut one of these and mounted it to a fixed frame. Wish I had a concrete date (and price) for when they'll start selling fixed wall-mounted versions. The wife is giving me a huge no to having a case up on the wall and I'd have to agree with her. I suppose we had to agree on something at some point.

My setup will be ceiling mounted as well, but I do have beige walls / white ceiling so this may be the way to go for me. The only gray screen I've ever seen was the Sony version on an HS51 at a Fry's where the image looked muted, but then again their setup and environment blew.

I'll probably pick one up at BB to test it out if anyone can confirm that cutting and applying it to a wall-frame is do-able. Maybe they'd take it back in pieces if it turns out not to be?

-Chris
post #118 of 1914 Old 07-16-2005, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,

As you know I have the H57 which is a bright projector. 1100 lumens spec. Probably that's using britemode right? I don't know what it would be using econo mode. Maybe 800 lumens??

Anyway, it's far too bright for my High Power and I've been using an ND2 filter which has made the image great.

However, I've recently gone back to my old HCMW screen which I initially used with my X1 when I had off-white walls. I have found this HCMW screen to be really nice as a complimentary piece to the H57.

My question is, if the HCMW is this good with the H57, will I even need to get the Greywolf? I have tensioning and waves on the HCMW so I know that the Greywolf will be a step up in that regard. But the 1.0 or 1.1 gain that I'm getting now with the HCMW is probably about the same that I'd get with the Greywolf is it not? My projector is almost exactly as high on the wall as yours. 6'4" lens to floor. And my screen's bottom is only 14" off the floor so the sweet spot and the cone are in my favor for brightness.

What do you think? Would I be gaining enough to warrant a change. I know that I'd lose the angular reflectiveness from the HCMW but I think that if the image from the Greywolf is at least as bright as the HCMW, it may be worth switching screens to get rid of the waves.

Wayne
post #119 of 1914 Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 PM

I just remembered that mine will be going in front of a window (I'm using a piece of melamine now so I forgot about the window). Is this an opaque screen (like the Firehawk) or do I need to get a blackout blind by next Friday?

Thanks,
Jay
post #120 of 1914 Old 07-16-2005, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wayne it's worth it for eliminating the waves alone. You know how it is with the waves, like any video perfectionist you'll be looking at them all the time.

I think you'll be surprised with the added blacks and how the image looks nice and bright at the same time with your H57.

Re backing, pretty sure it's black like the dalite screens, but not certain. I felt the thickness of the material and thought I saw black on the back. I'll double check tonight.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Screens

Tags
Optoma , Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page