post #1891 of 1914 Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post

Running product line changes and improvements, maybe?

I dont know - I can't see any sparklies in my GWII - but they were easy to spot in my GWI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1914 Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I purchased a 92' pull down Greywolf II to go with my Panny AX-200. I'm returning it and replacing with a Carada 106' fixed frame Brilliant White.

I did not like the Greywolf due to the texture on the screen - it created a graininess to the picture that precluded the seeing through a window effect of good HD. You could see the sparklies as well. The minimum viewing angle was another drawback. The most serious drawback by far though was the screen texture. For that reason alone, I would not recommend this product.
post #1893 of 1914 Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigeast44 View Post

I purchased a 92' pull down Greywolf II to go with my Panny AX-200. I'm returning it and replacing with a Carada 106' fixed frame Brilliant White.

I did not like the Greywolf due to the texture on the screen - it created a graininess to the picture that precluded the seeing through a window effect of good HD. You could see the sparklies as well. The minimum viewing angle was another drawback. The most serious drawback by far though was the screen texture. For that reason alone, I would not recommend this product.

I concur completely with the texture comment -- it was impossible to watch movies with a lot of brightness in them.

Is this a problem with HD-content only is there some "rainbow effect" element to it, i.e., only some people are affected by it? Considering the fact that these screens have enjoyed a fair degree of success, it must not bother everyone...
post #1894 of 1914 Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 AM

I'm considering the GWII motorized as a cheap entry screen. I pretty much have to go motorized as the wife does not want a fixed screen installed. I wonder if the electric vs. pulldown has the same issue with waves? I'll be using a Panny AX200U rear shelf mounted about 18 feet away.
post #1895 of 1914 Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post

I'm considering the GWII motorized as a cheap entry screen. I pretty much have to go motorized as the wife does not want a fixed screen installed. I wonder if the electric vs. pulldown has the same issue with waves? I'll be using a Panny AX200U rear shelf mounted about 18 feet away.

If your only criterion is a well built cheap electric screen, I would recommend looking at the Flexio screens from HTDepot.

If you really want a high gain gray 1.8 screen (not my choice BTW), they do have a (cheaper) electric screen that seems virtually identical to the GWII.

Anyway, most non-tensioned pulldown or electric screens will have some degree of problem with waves and curling. Depending on your tolerance level, you may want to opt for a tensioned screen...
post #1896 of 1914 Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigeast44 View Post

I have to agree with you on the texture. On any scene with a lot of white or other light color it is easy to spot and annoying.
post #1897 of 1914 Old 02-16-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Today I happened upon a set-up (in a store) using an Optima projector and a Graywolf screen. I don't know which gen the screen was (but I'm pretty sure the projection room was a new addition to the store)...but the screen structure was just brutal.

Admittedly I'm pretty sensitive to screen artifacts, but this was frankly the worst I've experienced on a projection screen. For bright images it actually made the image hard to watch for me, the sparkly screen overlaying the image was so distracting.

FWIW.
post #1898 of 1914 Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Admittedly I'm pretty sensitive to screen artifacts, but this was frankly the worst I've experienced on a projection screen. For bright images it actually made the image hard to watch for me, the sparkly screen overlaying the image was so distracting.

FWIW.

Try watching "The Shining" with this screen -- it gives a all too literal interpretation of of the title .
post #1899 of 1914 Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 AM

What are the differences between Graywolf and Graywolf II?

Thanks,
engtaz

engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
post #1900 of 1914 Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 AM

Location: Wichita KS, often in other places in the world (see my occupation)
There's a guy on ebay with 36 of the Greywolf 109" pull down, grey with 1.8 gain, and if you offer him $20.99 for it (it's a buy-it-now or make-an-offer ebay listing) he will accept it.

I got my screen and put it over a window and in full daylight this screen blocks ALL THE LIGHT BEHIND IT, with no bleed.

It has dramatically enhanced the blacks with my Optoma 617 ( 2000 lumens, always using 1600 in eco mode)

If you are using a dlp like mine is and you have a setting like I do for "White Peaking," you can dial that waaaay down to get a very natural tone--otherwise your whites will clip badly and be distracting on this high-gain screen.

My projector is ceiling mounted, as well, which causes any seated viewers to be slightly out of the most reflective zone, but it looks great when standing, too--just more bold.

Be aware--this screen gives much more of a film feeling, and screen door effect (SDE) is greatly reduced or completely obliterated.

IF YOU TAKE THE TIME, to calibrate your projector using something even as simple as the wizard in Vista Media Center (which is what I use) you can have a FANTASTIC viewing experience with this screen.

I use a projector because I like to best recreate a movie-going experience. That's what this screen does, you see the what some people describe as sparkles are really just the re-creation of film grain, which makes viewing much more big-cinema like. Heck, it says professional cinema screen on the side of the box.

If you haven't seen this, again think of a deep gray with glass beads that give 1.8 gain--you get blacker blacks and no color shift, and the glass completely eliminates the pixelation of screen door--rendering an image MUCH more like film. IMO, much more like a projector displaying 35mm film reels. How much closer can you get?

If you have any questions, please ask me. I'm not trying to sell these screens, I'm just a customer, and I'm going to share where they are available at a low cost, just like people did in the beginning of this thread.

Ebay Item number: 200263407349 , "Panoview Graywolf DS-9106PM 106" Cinema Display Screen"
Just go to ebay and paste that number in the search box.

Right now there are 35 left, and I have to say that my experience with this vendor has been quite good. These are apparently b-stock or the result of some of the people in this thread that didn't care for it and sent it back, or returned it b/c they found one somewhere else for $20 less. They also have matte white (Item number: 200265999944 or Item number: 200266005711). And they have 96" (150305107822) in 4:3 or 106" like I got in 16:9, 200263407349

Anyway, mine came in the manufacturer's box and still had the strong smell associated with the new ones. That smell was quite distinct after I had it pulled down and I immediately realized what had been mentioned earlier in the thread. It had to air out quite a bit.

Anyway, guys... 20.99 for the screen. Can you possibly beat that?
post #1901 of 1914 Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 AM

Location: Wichita KS, often in other places in the world (see my occupation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by engtaz View Post

What are the differences between Graywolf and Graywolf II?

Thanks,
engtaz

BUMP!

I'd really like to know this, too. I have a first edition, and wonder exactly what is "upgraded" in Greywolf II.

I think (do not assume true) that I heard someone describe it as having a wider optimum viewing cone.

I still think the 100 degrees originally specified is quite optimistic.
post #1902 of 1914 Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 PM

Hi. I am in the market for my second screen.

How do you think about the combination of those two?

Is it better to get white matte instead of gray?
post #1903 of 1914 Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkw3221 View Post

Hi. I am in the market for my second screen.

How do you think about the combination of those two?

Is it better to get white matte instead of gray?

I use the Graywolf II with the HD65 and it is spectacular in my set up. Make sure you don't sit too far from the center axis and have a table top set up. Not good for ceiling mount pj since this screen is retro reflective. This screen is also perfect for not light controlled rooms during the day. With the high lumens of this HD65 you can easily watch during daytime with this screen.
Have no hot spots as you might have on glass beaded screens. Make sure you calibrate brightness and contrast properly - could be too bright at night.
My manual pull down graywolf is hanging now for over 3 years and there are no waves at all. I roll it up every time after use. In my conditions a perfect screen for the HD65.
post #1904 of 1914 Old 01-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for an input on this combo DE-GWII9120E and Yamaha DPX-1000 DLP? The projector is a used unit but the screen I think will be brand new, should I go with the fixed rather than motorized? Should I be concerned about wrinkles later down the road on the motorized unit? Is there a better match for this projector? Any input will be helpfull thanks in advanced.
post #1905 of 1914 Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM

I just bought this screen for $134 at one of the closing Circuit City stores here in Sacto & was wondering can someone recommend a good Projector for it.

I just don't know which direction to go, as far as DLP, LCD LCOS etc...

My price range is somewhere around $1,500-$2,000

Thanks for your input!
post #1906 of 1914 Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by durazor View Post

I just bought this screen for $134 at one of the closing Circuit City stores here in Sacto & was wondering can someone recommend a good Projector for it.

I just don't know which direction to go, as far as DLP, LCD LCOS etc...

My price range is somewhere around $1,500-$2,000

Thanks for your input!

This screen is retroreflective and will perform best if you get a projector that can be mounted at viewer's eye level. Most LCD projectors in your price range can. Most DLP projectors cannot. LCOS can, but is probably not in your price range. If you want to ceiling mount your projector, you bought the wrong screen.
post #1907 of 1914 Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 AM

I got the motorized one, but I lost the wall bracket. Is there any replacements you can use for them? I tried emailing Optima, and they said they don't sell the brackets individually.
post #1908 of 1914 Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used L shelf brackets with a center support for my screen. I used to have a 92" Graywolf 1 manual pull down and now a 119" DaLite HP screen and they have both been perfectly sturdy on the $10 brackets... I even painted them out to match the wall. My HP screen is for sale as I need to downsize but I'll continue to use the brackets.

Basically, I ran an eye bolt through the top screw down hole of the bracket and then you can either use an S hook to connect the screen to the eye but I used a locking O ring to keep it secure... Just make sure you get the brackets in a stud, I would not trust anchors with a screen.
post #1909 of 1914 Old 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've a chance to buy the 92" GREY WOLF II, fixed frame, for about 170$.

My room is surrounded by white walls, and the projector will be ceiling mounted, 7,5 feet from floor, at a 100 feet distance.

The projector its a new Mits HC3100.

I've read the guitarman review using the HD79 (almost equal to HC3100), and i understand that for best results the projector should be table mounted, but i'm curious if the GWII, in this conditions would be a good buy at that price.
post #1910 of 1914 Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post

I've a chance to buy the 92" GREY WOLF II, fixed frame, for about 170$.

My room is surrounded by white walls, and the projector will be ceiling mounted, 7,5 feet from floor, at a 100 feet distance.

The projector its a new Mits HC3100.

I've read the guitarman review using the HD79 (almost equal to HC3100), and i understand that for best results the projector should be table mounted, but i'm curious if the GWII, in this conditions would be a good buy at that price.

You sure that you are trying to do 100 foot throw distance? Based of of the model of projector you are using the the screen size you have, the absolute MAX throw distance you can do is 13 feet 3 inches.

check projectorcentral's website it has a pretty comprehensive calculator for projectors: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mits...ulator-pro.htm

-Josh
post #1911 of 1914 Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post
You sure that you are trying to do 100 foot throw distance?
-Josh

I'm sorry, i've made a mistake I wanted to say 10 foot (3m).

Regarding my setup, would the gray wolf be a good choice ?
post #1912 of 1914 Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post

I'm sorry, i've made a mistake I wanted to say 10 foot (3m).

Regarding my setup, would the gray wolf be a good choice ?

3meters it too close to get 92" diagonal. the shortest throw distance you can do is 10 feet 11 inches, so 3.3274 meters.

Your ideal throw distance should be 12 feet or 3.6576 meters.

The largest screen you can do at 10 feet/3meters is and 85" diagonal screen.

-Josh
post #1913 of 1914 Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 AM

I forgot about this thread

I managed to get the greywolf 92" fixed screen (refurbished) for about 150$, and the combination with the HC3100 is Amazing !!!!

In the seating position i loose about 20% of brightness comparing to a standing position, but even with the lamp in low mode, it is an amazing combination.

The grey screen really helps with the white walls and the velvet frame adds another level perceiving the film boundaries.

When viewing 1.85:1 films , it seems a gigantic plasma :-D
post #1914 of 1914 Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Can anyone find a 92" gray wolf ii?

I have the original and I have heard the ii is better

Thanks
Reply Screens

Tags