Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #451 of 1917 Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Need help selecting a Stewart micro-perfed screen (speakers behind screen):

JVC RS-1 projector arriving soon (on pre-buy), to be used in completely light-controlled "bat-cave" dedicated room with black ceiling, dark walls, etc.

20 foot throw with projector lens-shift permitting it to be ceiling hung roughly aligned to top edge of screen.

First row of 3 seats 11 feet back, 2nd row of 3 seats behind that.

I've been thinking of a 114 inch WIDE 16:9 screen, which puts it into the danger zone of getting enough light output for the RS-1. (For the past 5 years, I've used an JVC G-15 LCOS projector on a 10-foot wide (120 inch) matt painted wall, so this is actually a reduced screen size for me.). I love the immersive effect of large screen LCOS projection.

I'm guessing that the Studiotek 130 with 1.3 screen gain won't be sufficiently bright, so would a Ultramatte 150 or 200 work better? Will I encounter hot spotting with a 20 foot throw? Sparklies?

(I could move the projector mount closer to the screen to increase the lumen output of the RS-1 about 20%, but this would increase the potential for hot spotting, right? I might also be able to reduce the lens shift if I keep the projector near the back of room with a 20 foot throw.)

Your thoughts?
- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1917 Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, I have a luxus model A screen with the 12v trigger and a xantech cc12.

Does anyone out there have this combination and if so - how did you get the cc12 to trigger the 12v?

thanks for your time.

CaM
post #453 of 1917 Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

can anyone tell me if ultramatte 200 can be used with dlp/lcos projectors? Ive been told that its not recommended because the uniformity is not that good can someone from Stewart screens chime in before I make a bad choice in screen material?

Hi there,

Did you ever get any information on this? I'm considering the same material for my DLP. I'm looking at doing a 144 wide 2.35 screen and can't use the HP material Tryg reviewed. Is the Stewart material Angular Reflective?
post #454 of 1917 Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The main problem to the UM200 is the sheen to it. I have installed digital projectors on this and you can "see" the material. Not a big deal for some, but for others it may be.
post #455 of 1917 Old 03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Is the sheen noticeable even on a 1080p setup? Is it something that is noticeable from a lot of viewing distances or....?
post #456 of 1917 Old 03-16-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

The main problem to the UM200 is the sheen to it. I have installed digital projectors on this and you can "see" the material. Not a big deal for some, but for others it may be.

Hi Jason, you may know I have a Stewart "Platinum" curved screen like Alan has. I can definitely see the screen material, and it has always bugged me, when I get new material I want to be 100% sure I don't see the screen any longer.

How about the Ultramatte 150, does it show itself like UM200 ???
post #457 of 1917 Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The UM150 is smooth as silk. The Platinum is actually not as bad as the UM200.
post #458 of 1917 Old 03-17-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thx Jason.
post #459 of 1917 Old 03-17-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome.
post #460 of 1917 Old 03-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The UM150 is smooth as silk. .

I currently have the stewart ultramatte 150, 87"wide 1.78 for my G70, and it is beautiful. I probably will be getting the JVC RS1 for a 122" scope, 92x52 1.78 CIH setup. Would the Studitek 130 offer any advantage over the ultramatte150 in a total light control room? I'd like to try to get close to CRT black levels since I watch a lot of 'dark' movies.
joe
post #461 of 1917 Old 03-18-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your black levels will be ever so slight better on a ST130, but my personal opinion is that unless you want to change the size of your screen, I would just use what you have.
post #462 of 1917 Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Just got my Stewart UM150 on the wall in the HT. While I have no personal experience to speak from, in terms of comparison, I can vouch for the excellent build quality of the Stewart screen and the fact that it looks da*n good just hanging there on the wall!! Piece of cake to put up as well, with help.

That having been said, Jason, the screen is very lonely and requires the presence of its mate, a new RS1, asap!
post #463 of 1917 Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk
The UM150 is smooth as silk. .

I currently have the stewart ultramatte 150, 87"wide 1.78 for my G70, and it is beautiful. I probably will be getting the JVC RS1 for a 122" scope, 92x52 1.78 CIH setup. Would the Studitek 130 offer any advantage over the ultramatte150 in a total light control room? I'd like to try to get close to CRT black levels since I watch a lot of 'dark' movies.
joe

Quote:

Your black levels will be ever so slight better on a ST130, but my personal opinion is that unless you want to change the size of your screen, I would just use what you have.

I will be increasing the screen to a 92x52 1.78, and use the U380 with RS1 for scope material to 122x52. Projector lens 17' to screen, 2 seats 13' to screen.

Am I correct to understand that the Firehawk G3 with 1.25gain and the SST with 1.1 gain will continue to lower black levels from the ST130, total light control, dk gray walls/ceiling,
as well as lower peak whites?
joe
post #464 of 1917 Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Hi All
Does anybody have experience using an X10 or insteon switched outlet to directly control a stewart electriscreen? I am ordering a new screen and would rather not have to pay for a STI (and run a seperate wire for it) if i can just use the X10 equipment i have. i have heard some people say it works, but i wanted to confirm before i ordered.
thanks
Ian
post #465 of 1917 Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Can somebody advise me reg best screen to use with a a Sony vpl vw100[Pearl] projector in a dedicated HT 18ft x 14ft. Throw distance 16 ft. I plan to go with a 92" diagonal screen . Have complete contol of ambient light. First row of seats 10ft from screen and back row seats 15ft from screen. I understand that Firehawk SST was specifically designed for the Sony vpl vw50[Ruby]. Am not sure ifit will work with Sony Pearl .Also is there a big advantage to a perforated screen..........Thanks SB
post #466 of 1917 Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM

Hi,

Just upgraded to a 1080p projector (Mits HC5000) and now notice sparklies on my 92" Grayhawk. The projector is about 12.5' back from the screen (ceiling mounted) and that is also the main seating distance. The image does not seem quite as bright with this projector. My screen is about two years old so I don't know if it is the Grayhawk RS model or not. The logo just says Grayhawk.

Question: Would I benefit from the new Firehawk G3 material that is supposed to be designed for 1080p? I do have some ambient light to deal with wouldn't mind a bit brighter image with this new projector.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark
post #467 of 1917 Old 03-29-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

I am in the market for a 92" motorized screen to go with a Sony Pearl. I have looked at a number of options and keep coming back to the Stewart Firehawk SST. That said, I have looked at three different motorized SST's at three different locations (two Best Buy Magnolia locations and one large independent store) and I noticed the same problem with these screens at every one of these locations; every screen had the infamous "ladder marks" effects (horizontal lines/imprints/dents running across the entire length of the screen at very regular/specific intervals). None of the sales people at any of the locations had a good explanation other than saying it was inherent in the design (the dents being caused when the screen is rolled and stored out of sight when not in use).

My room location dictates a retractable screen as opposed to a fixed screen. As much as I would love to own a 92" 16/9 tab tensioned Firehawk SST, I can not see spending thousands of dollars more for this screen over a competitor just to end up with a ladder mark problem. Don't get me wrong, the screen material is beautiful and a perfect match for the Sony Pearl BUT for that kind of money/premium price, the screen should be perfectly smooth whether or not the screen is retracted/stored for any length of time.

By the way, every salesman said they would contact Stewart, find out what the explanation for the problem was and get back to me... So far, no one has contacted me with an answer to the mysterious SST "ladder marks" and if it is an ongoing problem with the Firehawk motorized/retractable screens.

I am therefore open to suggestions/alternatives for the Sony Pearl, thanks in advance.

I'm in the market for an electric screen and saw the same thing on a Stewart Screen at The Great Indoors. Are the ladder marks exclusive to the Firehawk, other Stewart screens, or all tensioned electrics? This is the only retractable tensioned screen I have seen in person.

Greg
post #468 of 1917 Old 03-31-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the difference between the Greyhawk, and Greyhawk RS? I have a 100" 16x9 Greyhawk, manual retractable. But I have no idea it's specs. Is the gain .95 on both? And does anyone know how well this screen will do with the new JVC RS-1 (I have one on order)?

post #469 of 1917 Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

What is the difference between the Greyhawk, and Greyhawk RS? I have a 100" 16x9 Greyhawk, manual retractable. But I have no idea it's specs. Is the gain .95 on both? And does anyone know how well this screen will do with the new JVC RS-1 (I have one on order)?

I am looking for the answer to exactly this same question ! :-p

Also is there a black backing on the steward screen? Or it is slightly translucent and a bright enough projector will pass some light through it?

Oliver
post #470 of 1917 Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post

I am looking for the answer to exactly this same question ! :-p

Also is there a black backing on the steward screen? Or it is slightly translucent and a bright enough projector will pass some light through it?

Oliver

My Greyhawk has a black backing. But I believe it depends on the model of screen you buy.

I've yet to find out the answer to my original question. Does the Stewart rep not participate in this forum anymore? I even emailed Stewart with this question, with no response.

post #471 of 1917 Old 04-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post

I'm in the market for an electric screen and saw the same thing on a Stewart Screen at The Great Indoors. Are the ladder marks exclusive to the Firehawk, other Stewart screens, or all tensioned electrics? This is the only retractable tensioned screen I have seen in person.

My understanding is that the electric screens are susceptible to laddering only when the screen either is kept NOT in the full up or full down position. Exact top masking is required, or screen mounting position adjusted, to ensure that the full down position aligns correctly with the projected image.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #472 of 1917 Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

My Greyhawk has a black backing. But I believe it depends on the model of screen you buy.

My understanding is that the black backing is a factory option to prevent light passing from the back of the screen to the front, e.g. when the screen is installed covering a window. The black backing is not otherwise required.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #473 of 1917 Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanK View Post

Hi All
Does anybody have experience using an X10 or insteon switched outlet to directly control a stewart electriscreen? I am ordering a new screen and would rather not have to pay for a STI (and run a seperate wire for it) if i can just use the X10 equipment i have.

My understanding is that you will need a change-over relay to activate the screen (the Stewart electric screens have a 4-wire cable, common, ground, up and down), and you will need a simple relay to sense the 12v trigger state from the projector to send the trigger status to the change over relay (i.e. the change-over relay sensing logic is "voltage free" hence the need to change the 12v trigger status from the projector to a simple on/off switch position via the relay).

In all likelihood the STI is a cheaper and easier option (they're about $275). The STI will just sense the 12v trigger state from your projector without the need for other electrics.

Edit: In addition, for a CBUS home automation installation of the electric screen, you will need an analogue input unit to get the 12v relay status on to the CBUS. The parts alone for this (12v relay, analogue input unit, change-over relay), plus the cost of the electrician to install, will probably come close to $800. Hence much cheaper to go with the STI option.

post #474 of 1917 Old 04-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post

Just an update; after doing tons of research and talking to lots of people on this forum I decided upon a 100" Firehawk SST eletricscreen. Conclusion: the very best screen and material to use with our short-throw Sony Pearl and in our lightly ambient situation with cream walls. It arrived on Friday (the screen was exceptionally well packaged against damage) and (Lord willing) I will be getting it installed this week. As for ladder tracks I will let you know if I end up with them or not but after talking with Stewart, I think things will work out ok.

I will provide a follow up after it is installed.
post #475 of 1917 Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM

jmouse,

i ended up ordering a 106" firehawk g3 thru integrity home theater to pair with a vw50. this was after talking to stewart rep (who rec your setup!) and then this guy from integrity who worked 5 years @ stewart. i also will set up at the shorter end of the throw range and that along with a slightly higher screen gain should keep my picture as good as with a 100". seating will be 5 american leather holden units side by side approx 13' from the screen. it will be several weeks before my setup occurs. (as construction is still finishing) one of my new concerns is echoing in my room. although i realize the room is empty, it is REALLY bad and i am not sure how much damping the furniture/ rugs wll give me. i am getting a denon 4306 to be paired with snell speakers in a 7:1 config that if i can rid the room of echoes should really rock.
post #476 of 1917 Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Final follow up on my Sony Pearl and Stewart Firehawk SST Lexus Model A Electriscreen home theater project. By the grace of God and the exceptional advice from numerous AVS forum members and Stewart, everything is FINALLY done; the screen is up, the projector has been ceiling mounted, the new Def Tec speakers and OPPO981 HD DVD player are all in place, the cables are managed/hidden and everything is working exceptionally well. As for the Stewart SST screen; NO ladder tracks, no defects and it, along with the picture it produces are gorgeous! Best investment we have ever made. The SST material works wonderfully well with the Sony Pearl and other 1080p short throw PJ's. No hot spotting, NO sparklies, NO screen door effect, just a VERY fine, even picture. If you would like to see how the theater turned out you can look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=838097

Here are three "Screen Shots" FYI:

If anyone is thinking about buying a Stewart SST (or other Stewart screen better suited to your theater space) screen to go with your Sony Pearl or 1080p PJ, all I can say is: "Go for it!" Yes the Stewart SST screen is more expensive than the competition but it is worth EVERY penny. It produces exceptional blacks and the contrast is tremendous. One more thing, the after purchase customer support from Stewart has been outstanding. They have provided extraordinary customer support, answering every technical and nooB question I have asked with the result that the finished project turned out perfect... thanks Mark and everyone at Stewart.
post #477 of 1917 Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 AM

Hi All,

I just finished my 3-month marriage with the VUTEC Silverstar. I used it with my Ruby and, although I loved how bright it was, I could not get over the sparkling created on bright white scenes - after much debate I decided to return it to the vendor and I'm now shopping for a new screen.

My room is set up to project on a 16:9 110 diagonal fixed screen placed at 12' 6 from the projector lens. Based on this configuration, I can expect between 5 to 10 Foot Lamberts on a Matte White Screen (1x gain), depending on how I configure the projector iris. The calculations are displayed here: http://members.cox.net/ricvieira/Hom...2%20of%202.htm

The viewing position is between 100 to 112 from the screen. At the closest viewing distance, the screen occupies 51.2 degrees of the viewer's horizontal field of vision. I know many will say that a smaller screen size would be a better match, but I really like the sense of immersion with the 110 screen.

I can make the room pitch black. The screen wall is painted dark purple, and the side walls are painted light purple with a white door on the left side. The carpet is light brown - and the ceiling is white, but it is shaped as an inverted V with the lowest part connected to the screen wall (therefore, it does not reflect the screen light). In my humble opinion, there is minimal reflected light in the room, but please check the setup at: http://members.cox.net/ricvieira/Hom...reen/index.htm

I have given special consideration to the Stewart screens below:

Stewart Studiotek 130 - although not very bright, it has a fantastic 160 degree viewing cone, with a 75 degree half gain angle - and these are very desirable features in my small room setup. Nevertheless, I read that you need to have dark walls / floor / ceiling to make the best of this screen - see room description above

Stewart FireHawk G3 - this seems to be the screen Stewart recommends for most home theater setups. My concern is that my setup has the projector a little bit closer than the minimum throw distance (96 screen width x 1.6 = 154 minimum throw distance, my setup has the projector at 150 throw distance), so I'm concerned about light fallout at the edges of the screen.

Stewart FireHawk SST - the minimum throw distance is not an issue with my setup, but it is the least bright screen in this group.

I'm open to looking into any other Stewart screens - and I would really appreciate any feedback that help me make an educated decision.

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo Vieira

Ricardo Vieira
post #478 of 1917 Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM

Ricardo,

You're sitting a bit close and you've selected the maximum size screen that I would consider for that projector. It will start pretty well, but as the lamp ages you'll be dimming. When you sit that close, most gain screens are going to sparkle a bit here and there with bright material. If you are adamant about keeping that size, you would probably be happiest with Studiotek, with the projector at as short a throw as you can manage.

regards,

Mark Robinson
Vice President of Technology
Stewart Filmscreen

post #479 of 1917 Old 05-21-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Wow, I guess I'm crazy considering a Ultramatte 2.0 screen, 120 inches WIDE 2.35:1 (equivalent to 138inch diag 16x9 screen for brightness purposes, since I'll be using the projector's ZOOM to fill the screen) with a Pearl. From my calculations, it should be about as bright as my matte white 92inch diag 16:9 screen, given that the gain with the larger screen is doubled. I would be sitting about 10 feet from the screen. The projector would be about 13 feet from the screen. Which sounds like I would see problems with the image, even if the brightness was adequate.

Of course, the price, even used, when shipping such a large beast is problematic -- ie, it is already busting my budget by 50%, so that may be another way that fate is telling me something.

post #480 of 1917 Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardlee2 View Post

jmouse,

i am getting a denon 4306 to be paired with snell speakers in a 7:1 config that if i can rid the room of echoes should really rock.

Off topic but check out the room construction threads for some great advice about room treatments. You can DIY some good absorbing panels or talk to "bpape" who could certainly help with acoustical design and supply.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page