The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 1965 Old 11-24-2005, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have brought a 2nd firehawk screen (luxus model a) and it too has slight wearing at the top left/right. It also makes a noise like light tearing (though nothing is tearing!) on the last part of the drop.

The picture looks lovely though (compared to my older owl screen).

CaM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1965 Old 11-27-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2 View Post

yes i have. Weeks later and still no response from them. I have posted photos of the problem:

screen.jpg

Have you tried contacting your dealer?
When I had the same problem with my 110" Firehawk Electriscreen I contacted my dealer (AVS-Jason) and he was able to get me a "repair kit", basically consisting of a small can of paint and a sponge. (It also took several weeks before I got it, though.)
____
Axel

post #33 of 1965 Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 AM

Hiya, Stewart users,
I'm from Japan.

I am hesitating very much.
I know FireHawk will preserves image contrast by dampening room cross light reflection. But Studiotek's bright and clear image is so fantastic too. I love Studiotek's great image quality.

However, my theater is not a special room. It is using with living room combinedly.

The reflected light cannot control though the lighting can be completely turned off.
Yes, FireHawk is good for me. I know it.

But I got a ruby, it has good color by Xenon lamp. I do not throw away Studiotek 130 easily.

The user of FireHawk hardly exists in Japan. Does anyone have advice?

Thanks
post #34 of 1965 Old 11-30-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

...When I had the same problem with my 110" Firehawk Electriscreen I contacted my dealer (AVS-Jason) and he was able to get me a "repair kit", basically consisting of a small can of paint and a sponge. (It also took several weeks before I got it, though.)
____
Axel

Finally heard from Stewart. Their new solution to this problem is some black tape to put over the worn edges. It is really a patch job and is noticible when the lights are on. Seems like a major design flaw to me. Maybe this will be fixed in the new version of the screen.
post #35 of 1965 Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 PM

I just unpacked my Stewart after a move and it looks like the screen material has a few small creases in it along with indentations from the snaps. Has anyone had any experience with this and will these disappear after a few weeks under the tension of the frame. Hopefully you will be able to see what I'm talking about in the attached pictures.
LL
LL
post #36 of 1965 Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes they will go away on their own. Since the screen in a vinyl-base, you can speed that process with a hair-dryer set to medium heat about 6"-8" away from the screen, keep the dryer moving in a relatively random pattern and you should be fine.

I've had several samples sent to me from Stewart, and they always see to end-up either gently folded or draped over something with a firm edge, so they develop "creases", if I let the samples lay on a flat surface for a couple days at room temp- they go away.

So no worries, these things are more resilient than you might think.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #37 of 1965 Old 12-10-2005, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anone used the Horizontal ScreenWall ElectriMask from Stewart? I would love to get rid of the grey bars but I don't know what the premium is for this vs. the standard fixed wall 1.3 gain screen.
post #38 of 1965 Old 12-13-2005, 03:55 AM

the more I examine my screen, the more I think my firewak screen is fine :-)

CaM
post #39 of 1965 Old 12-17-2005, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone have experience using Stewart's microperf screens? In particular, is it true there is no moire affect with that screen? Thanks!

Jim
post #40 of 1965 Old 12-18-2005, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

What would you like to know? I have both a Microperfed Grayhawk RS and StudioTek 130. The two skins are 72" wide 1.78:1 AR, for my Luxus Deluxe frame (this is my reference screen setup, very similar to what Runco uses for their CSMS measurements).

The issue of Microperf and moire isn't cut-and-dry, it depends not only on the projector/technology, but also on the throw distance and screen size. While reviewing the Sony HS-51, I was able to minimize the moire on the screen- but never eliminate it (I had to zoom the image to greater than 100" diag.) Even some DLPs exhibit moire with Microperf, it's not very common for most screen sizes though (92" to 123").

I have yet to see an AT screen that does equally well for both audio and video, the perforated vinyl screens don't do as well with audio, the woven fabric screens have their own video isssues- you really have to pick where you're willing to compromise. Being a Screen Research dealer, I feel that their woven-technology does very well with audio, and I can use their product for very specific applications: when I need an AT screen with an LCD projector without moire. Vutec's soundscreen appears very similar to SR product. I have no experience with Draper's woven product, or with Dalite's perfed product.

The drawback to woven screens is that there IS a visible weave pattern on the screen, it depends on where you're viewing from (distance and angle)- but it is visible. Perfed screens have a similar issue- once you get to within 1X screen width, you begin to notice the holes (depends on screen size, on a tiny screen like mine it could be the reason).

For a long-and-short-of-it answer, I use Stewart- I feel that at this point in time they still make the best screens overall, and offer the most versatility through their product range.
(BTW, I am NOT a Stewart dealer.)

I hope this helps.
Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #41 of 1965 Old 12-18-2005, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Dan

Thanks much for the response. I'll be using the screen with the Ruby. Looking at 110" diag. to a moderately light controlled (day hours) room, light controlled at night but some light wall issues, which I will likely change if a problem. Room is 28x15, plan to view from 14-16 feet (undecided until I see setup), PJ at minimum throw to screen (I think 10.5 ft, ceiling mount, can adjust). I have samples coming from the major players to compare next week. Wife asked about hiding speakers, that's why I'm asking!
Thanks,
Jim
post #42 of 1965 Old 12-18-2005, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Your biggest issue with your situation is that Stewart recommends greater than 1.6X for the lens, so at the widest zoom you might have a little hot-spotting. As far as Microperfing and the 1080P resolution, you shouldn't have any moire from that combo with your screen size. for the issue of ambient light: recommendation is Firehawk. I realize that the darker gray color is unnecessary with the ruby, but you'll benefit from the narrower viewing cone.

If you call Stewart directly, I would imagine that they have already had a ruby there, and if not, the Qualia 004 is almost identical when it comes to the characteristecs that count in this situation- so they can also help you out.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #43 of 1965 Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Dan
Thanks for all the info.
Jim
post #44 of 1965 Old 12-22-2005, 05:58 AM

anyone here have used the firehawk with the new Panasonic ae900 ? how is it ?
post #45 of 1965 Old 12-23-2005, 09:59 AM

Hi all!. I'm looking at purchasing a 110" 16:9 firehawk for my infocus X1 projector. Currently I have a 110" Screen Goo that I put up and the picture is pretty good but I'd like to see better detail From everything I've been reading the Firehawk seems to be the way to go for a DLP projector. Any suggestions? My room size is 32' x 16. fully light controlled though the walls are light tan and the ceiling is white 2x2 suspended tiles. Projector is ceiling mounted in a hush box 14'6" from screen. View area seating group 12 feet from the screen. Projector is the X1 with 400hrs, 4800 firmware loaded and calibrated with Avia. Let me know if anyone needs any other details. Looking forward to your input!

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation,
the sky is home.
post #46 of 1965 Old 12-23-2005, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not sure what you mean by more detail. Assuming you mean more relative contrast, I think the Firehawk makes sense. The obvious answer is to get some samples and see what you like. I received all the da-lite samples and several from Stewart. The firehawk was my favorite material with my Infocus 7200. However, I'm more interested in performance in ambient light situations. The firehawk looked better (to me) in the complete dark, but really shined when some light was on. Good luck with your search.

MM
post #47 of 1965 Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

How do you guys get samples from Stewart?

I want a sample of their ...130 and searched their site...could not find a place where I can order a free sample.

Do I need to call them...which number?

-Rajiv

-Rajiv
post #48 of 1965 Old 12-27-2005, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

How do you guys get samples from Stewart?

I want a sample of their ...130 and searched their site...could not find a place where I can order a free sample.

Do I need to call them...which number?

-Rajiv

I would simply contact our forum hosts....
____
Axel

post #49 of 1965 Old 12-27-2005, 09:25 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
you actually have to get samples directly from Stewart. Just call them, you will have them 2-3 days. they are very responsive.
post #50 of 1965 Old 12-28-2005, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmason View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by more detail. Assuming you mean more relative contrast, I think the Firehawk makes sense. The obvious answer is to get some samples and see what you like. I received all the da-lite samples and several from Stewart. The firehawk was my favorite material with my Infocus 7200. However, I'm more interested in performance in ambient light situations. The firehawk looked better (to me) in the complete dark, but really shined when some light was on. Good luck with your search.

MM

Sorry for not being more clear. Yes, I'm trying for more relative contrast, and better perceived black levels. From what I've read the Firehawk it is the way to go with DLP projectors. Just looking for some opinions "not that you'll find many on the forums " for someone who has a firehawk preferrably with and X1 and see how they like it compared to anything else they might have tried.

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation,
the sky is home.
post #51 of 1965 Old 01-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Does anyone have experience with Stewarts' CineCurve product?
1) About how deep would an 8' wide screen be?
2) Its in a corner section (dedicated seating 200SQFT) of a bigger Rec Room(1200SQFT), what is the impact on off angle viewing?
3) If available with the different Stewart screen materials any recommendations (looking at either a Ruby or 1,3 chip 1080p DLP's)
post #52 of 1965 Old 01-08-2006, 10:19 PM

I am trying to get a "head start" for when my Stewart 100" permanently tensioned screen comes in and would like to put up appropriate framing before the drywall goes up in my HT -- I cannot find anywhere how far in the mounting brackets are from the edges of the screen on a Stewart Luxus Deluxe Firehawk screen. Any suggestions or experience?

Read the manuals (from Stewart's website) and although it shows a drawing, there aren't any specific measurements. TIA.
post #53 of 1965 Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 AM

The mounting points can slide in the frame to meet the stud locations. I would think you would be ok if you start with a stud in the middle of your front wall then go with typical stud spacing.
post #54 of 1965 Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, can anyone tell me if the Stewart Firehawk screen material is a good match for the Sony HS60 projector (or I think the US equivalent is HS51)? I was looking at getting the Studiotek130 material, but have seen the Firehawk secondhand in the correct size (7ft widescreen format fixed screen). It will be in a studio/loft apartment so not completely light controlled.

Any help making a decision would be appreciated

Cheers,
Steve

Definition of a home cinema - A dark room into which you throw money!
post #55 of 1965 Old 01-15-2006, 10:02 AM

Need advise on which Stewart Screen for Ruby. I currently own a Stewart Greyhawk with a Sony 10HT projector. Looking to move to Ruby, will my Greyhawk 110" 16x9 still be ok?
post #56 of 1965 Old 01-15-2006, 10:06 AM

I currently am the owner of Sony 10th projector with a Stewart greyhawk 110" 16x9 screen. I am contemplating moving up to a Ruby projector will my greyhawk be adequate or do I need to change the screen?
post #57 of 1965 Old 01-16-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're talking about the original GrayHawk, then I would say change the skin. If you're talking about the newer Grayhawk RS, then it's a neutral enough screen that you can get away with it- but there's one caveat: Ruby is a relatively dim projector, that size screen is really pushing it as far as brightness is concerned.

If it were me purchasing a Ruby, and using a 110" screen- I'd go with a higher gain than .92 of Grayhawk RS. At that screen size, Studiotek is probably a better choice.

Many with Rubies have moved to the Dalite High-Power. Check the LCOS forum for info.

Steve, here's the link to my review of the HS-51 (includes comments about Studiotek, Grayhawk RS, and Firehawk)

http://www.digitalaudiovideo.com/har...iews_13342.htm

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #58 of 1965 Old 01-17-2006, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the reply Dan. Nice site by the way!

I have actually just bought a Firehawk as there would be some ambient light around so was advised that this may be the best screen to go for. I guess I can always swop out the material at a later date if necessary.

Definition of a home cinema - A dark room into which you throw money!
post #59 of 1965 Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Has anyone seen the 'Stwart Media' screen, the one advertised as being equivalent to a large flat panel tv? (It comes with side speakers in the frame, but hopefully they could make one without them.) It sounds like this screen is similar to the dnp 'supernova'/mirage. Does anyone know anything about it?
post #60 of 1965 Old 02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Currently, the Media Screen uses FireHawk material- Stewart has yet to release their version of a "black" screen. Look for that at the upcoming CEDIA most likely.

They also make the media screen in a rear-projection setup.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3