Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #631 of 1947 Old 02-07-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You'll always want bigger... I'm about 10' from a 110" FHG3, love it, and I'm already trying to figure out how to go bigger.

I'll probably do a 2.35:1 next, same height though.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1947 Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

You'll always want bigger... I'm about 10' from a 110" FHG3, love it, and I'm already trying to figure out how to go bigger.

Maybe some day... but I think I am going to be happy for a long time. I will be upgrading the projector next... when quality 1080p units are in the $1500 range and the bulb on my HS51 blows.
post #633 of 1947 Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Maybe some day... but I think I am going to be happy for a long time. I will be upgrading the projector next... when quality 1080p units are in the $1500 range and the bulb on my HS51 blows.

Hey, I heard the bulb on the HS51 already blows! *duh duh dum*

post #634 of 1947 Old 02-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:

If the RS2 is that JVC D-ILA model, then I think the FHG3 is the preferred material. You get better contrast, and it also can handle ambient and room light better (like if you want to watch with the lights on, although sounds like that's not an issue for you).

The alternative would be the ST130, where you get slightly truer colors (really only visible to a color-meter), but not as good contrasts.

Thanks for the response!
post #635 of 1947 Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

When you go wider, think about how far out your seating goes as well as how close. I found that when I used my Panasonic AE2000U (19ft throw) with a FHG3 2.40:1 127" wide screen, I got noticeable dropoffs to the sides and way too much contrast for this projector. First row at 12ft, second row at 18ft. This is when using a UH380 HE lens.

I also didn't care for the almost saturated looking speckly whites the screen produced, where you could notice you were watching a screen. Plus a sparkly showing up here and there. Since I really didn't have any ambient light issues, I decided to change the screen material to an ST130 G3 and am very glad I did. I now get a smooth bright picture end to end with no blown out highlights and the contrast is still superb. More 3D-like too. Too bad I couldn't get some credit for the exchange, but I guess it was my bad.

I was worried about the black bars on the sides (when in 16:9 mode) being much brighter than the FHG3, but found this was hardly the case. I guess I have no pressing need for side masking as I thought.
post #636 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 AM

The time has come to wipe my screen but am terrified of wiping it with the wrong thing. Its FHg3.

d.
post #637 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

When you go wider, think about how far out your seating goes as well as how close. I found that when I used my Panasonic AE2000U (19ft throw) with a FHG3 2.40:1 127" wide screen, I got noticeable dropoffs to the sides and way too much contrast for this projector. First row at 12ft, second row at 18ft. This is when using a UH380 HE lens.

I also didn't care for the almost saturated looking speckly whites the screen produced, where you could notice you were watching a screen. Plus a sparkly showing up here and there. Since I really didn't have any ambient light issues, I decided to change the screen material to an ST130 G3 and am very glad I did. I now get a smooth bright picture end to end with no blown out highlights and the contrast is still superb. More 3D-like too. Too bad I couldn't get some credit for the exchange, but I guess it was my bad.

I was worried about the black bars on the sides (when in 16:9 mode) being much brighter than the FHG3, but found this was hardly the case. I guess I have no pressing need for side masking as I thought.

Unless I have it backwards, I would think with the FHG3, more than with the ST130, since the focus is greater with the FH that you'd see less drop off at the edges? But again, maybe I have this backwards.

In any case, I tested by zooming the picture to fill the width, and although it was off my screen, the edges looked great to me on full white, full black, and full blue - no visible dropoff (although it's a little hard to tell with the off-screen).

post #638 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless I have it backwards, I would think with the FHG3, more than with the ST130, since the focus is greater with the FH that you'd see less drop off at the edges? But again, maybe I have this backwards.

In any case, I tested by zooming the picture to fill the width, and although it was off my screen, the edges looked great to me on full white, full black, and full blue - no visible dropoff (although it's a little hard to tell with the off-screen).

That's cool. I was only talking about when you get wide enough that the half-gain cone angle is smaller than the seating arrangement or the angle from your front row center to the edge of the screen. It also is more apparent when the projector brightness vs. screen gain are just borderline. I'm sure it could be lived with easily if the projector is plenty bright to overcome these issues.

Also, in my case, the 1.2 gain vs. 1.3 gain with over twice the 1/2-gain viewing cone really makes the image a lot brighter - for the Panasonic anyway.

I'm not sure what you meant by focus, since the screen does not focus anything. So, I guess you are referring to the sharper viewing cone and if so, you would have it backwards. But as I said, if your screen is small enough and you sit well within that cone, everything is just fine. You really have to have more screen area to the sides to see the effect. Zooming won't help if the picture goes off the sides of the screen. You won't know until you actually buy a new screen or make the calculations to predict what might happen.
post #639 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

That's cool. I was only talking about when you get wide enough that the half-gain cone angle is smaller than the seating arrangement or the angle from your front row center to the edge of the screen. It also is more apparent when the projector brightness vs. screen gain are just borderline. I'm sure it could be lived with easily if the projector is plenty bright to overcome these issues.

Also, in my case, the 1.2 gain vs. 1.3 gain with over twice the 1/2-gain viewing cone really makes the image a lot brighter - for the Panasonic anyway.

I'm not sure what you meant by focus, since the screen does not focus anything. So, I guess you are referring to the sharper viewing cone and if so, you would have it backwards. But as I said, if your screen is small enough and you sit well within that cone, everything is just fine. You really have to have more screen area to the sides to see the effect. Zooming won't help if the picture goes off the sides of the screen. You won't know until you actually buy a new screen or make the calculations to predict what might happen.

I would be getting the cinevurve anyway, which pretty much eliminates what you're talking about, doesn't it? The whole point of the screen curve is to focus the light back?

And I thought the screen does focus the light back at the viewer (the screen gain / viewing cone is the measurement of that, right)?

post #640 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

The time has come to wipe my screen but am terrified of wiping it with the wrong thing. Its FHg3.

d.

A solution of 10 parts water to 1 part Simple Green works pretty well.

I would only wipe the area with the offending mark (not the whole screen), and be gentle...

Good luck!

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #641 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellohj View Post

I have:
FHG3 110"
with a PT-AE1000U ceiling mounted 17 ft from the screen
With 2 rows of seating in a 14'x22'x8' room with blue and black colors.

Watched the Superbowl with lights on (moderate dimmed) and picture was great.

I love my FHG3!

Yeah, it's a great fabric for ambient light.

Kinda makes you feel sorry for the people at other Super Bowl parties, all huddled around their 42" plasmas...

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #642 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

Yeah, it's a great fabric for ambient light.

Kinda makes you feel sorry for the people at other Super Bowl parties, all huddled around their 42" plasmas...

Funny you say that - I have a 110" FHG3. I went to a neighbor's house, and in their HT they have a 60" Mits RP. It was so tiny, it was barely watchable from a distance (the seats went up to 18-feet or so from the screen.

Then I came back to watch the end in my HT - so much better!

A HT isn't a HT if you don't have a FP system... IMO...

post #643 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be getting the cinevurve anyway, which pretty much eliminates what you're talking about, doesn't it? The whole point of the screen curve is to focus the light back?

That would certainly be the way to go if you must use that screen because of ambient light or contrast issues. I would have done that myself if I could spare no expense, but I also have no more room to fit the larger frame depth required. Alas, the ST130 works great, flat as it is.
I think the main purpose of the cinecurve is to help with the inherent fall-off incurred from the HE lens in the first place.
Quote:

And I thought the screen does focus the light back at the viewer (the screen gain / viewing cone is the measurement of that, right)?

I suppose you could look at it that way. The brightness falls off from center as you move off to a wider angle. How fast it does this is the main issue anyway.
post #644 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Funny you say that - I have a 110" FHG3. I went to a neighbor's house, and in their HT they have a 60" Mits RP. It was so tiny, it was barely watchable from a distance (the seats went up to 18-feet or so from the screen.

Then I came back to watch the end in my HT - so much better!

A HT isn't a HT if you don't have a FP system... IMO...

You said it!

FP seems to gain steam every year as more and more people come to realize this.

And the prices these days don't hurt any...

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #645 of 1947 Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

A solution of 10 parts water to 1 part Simple Green works pretty well.

I would only wipe the area with the offending mark (not the whole screen), and be gentle...

Good luck!

I actually dont have a mark on it, but what do you use to wipe the dust off the entire screen that builds up on it?
post #646 of 1947 Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 AM

Hopefully someone can give me some guidance here.

First some details -

The system I'm replacing:
Sharp s55u pj (approx 10 y.o!)
Stewart 84" 4:3 Luxus frame. I don't know what the exact screen material is, but it's white, not gray.

My new pj will be a Sony VW60, ceiling mounted about 12 feet from the screen. The main seating area is about 11 feet in front of the screen, but there are a couple seats off to the side. HT is well blacked out. I'd like to be able to turn on more than a 60w lamp though when watching TV.

My questions:

1) I'm torn between a 82" 16:9 screen, which is going to give me a smaller 4:3 picture than I now have and a 92" 16:9 screen, which I'm afraid may be too wide for the seating distance. Any opinions on which way to go here?

2) I'm looking at the Firehawk G3 and Ultramatte 150 material. Any preference on which will give me a better picture given my conditions? Or should I be considering different material?
post #647 of 1947 Old 02-09-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

I actually dont have a mark on it, but what do you use to wipe the dust off the entire screen that builds up on it?

Use a soft dry cotton cloth. And again, be gentle with it.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #648 of 1947 Old 02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by specs68 View Post

First some details -

Stewart 84" 4:3 Luxus frame. I don't know what the exact screen material is, but it's white, not gray.

My new pj will be a Sony VW60, ceiling mounted about 12 feet from the screen. The main seating area is about 11 feet in front of the screen, but there are a couple seats off to the side. HT is well blacked out. I'd like to be able to turn on more than a 60w lamp though when watching TV.

My questions:

1) I'm torn between a 82" 16:9 screen, which is going to give me a smaller 4:3 picture than I now have and a 92" 16:9 screen, which I'm afraid may be too wide for the seating distance. Any opinions on which way to go here?

2) I'm looking at the Firehawk G3 and Ultramatte 150 material. Any preference on which will give me a better picture given my conditions? Or should I be considering different material?

Wow - It sure looks like you've gotten pretty good mileage out of your projector!

For a 16:9 screen, the rule of thumb is that you want your primary seating to be 1.5x to 2x the screen width from the screen. So for an 11' (132") seating distance, your screen width should be between 66" and 88". This translates to between 76" diagonal and 101" diagonal, respectively.

A 92" diagonal screen would work just fine, and may even be a tad small depending on your personal preference.

As far as screen material, the Firehawk G3 will be a good choice given you will have ambient light, especially if that light will be washing across the screen. It will help you maintain your black level and contrast, and still give you positive gain for a brightness boost.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #649 of 1947 Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First some details -

My questions:

- Go as big as your wall and room can handle. At that distance, THX would say you could go as large as 110" or bigger.

- FHG3 is your best bet, both for the best match to the projector, and your ambient light desires (I have the VW60 and FHG3, and love them both; the FHG3 is extremely tolerant of ambient light like overhead lights, leaving the door open, etc.).

post #650 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the thoughts on screen size and material. I'm going to go with the 93" FHG3.

A couple more questions:

1) How difficult is it to install a 93" Luxus Delux screen? Is it something I could do myself? Or would I need to enlist a friend to help? Or is it best to leave to an installer? I'd say I have an intermediate "handy" ability. I guess the concern I'd have is accidentally creasing the material.

2) How do you dismantle a Luxus screen without creasing the material?
post #651 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the thoughts on screen size and material. I'm going to go with the 93" FHG3.

A couple more questions:

1) How difficult is it to install a 93" Luxus Delux screen? Is it something I could do myself? Or would I need to enlist a friend to help? Or is it best to leave to an installer? I'd say I have an intermediate "handy" ability. I guess the concern I'd have is accidentally creasing the material.

You should be able to do this easily yourself (unhless you have a friend who can help). It's very lightweight and once put together (on the floor) can be easily lifted with two hands from the top and placed into the brackets on the wall. The brackets are on each end of a vertical wood brace which is screwed to the wall (you may have only 2 of these). The mating angle brackets are slipped into the frame top and bottom rails before the corners are screwed together (You will get instructions).

The trick is getting the measurements on the wall to mount the brackets so that the screen is level and centered horizontally. Then to match that with the brackets you have in the frame which are screwed in tight. So if you are off only slightly, the holes will not line up. You will see what I mean. It may take serveral trials to finally get it right. Don't get too anxious and take your time. You can re-adjust the brackets in the frame and retighten until they finally match up. It will be worth it in the end, as the screws will go in and enter the threads easily and it will be easy to remove in the future.

The screen material comes in a large tube rolled horizontally. You unroll it on the floor in front of the wall that it mounts on. Unroll it so it faces up. It will have a foam and paper backing to protect against the floor. You can build the frame around the perimeter. Just make sure you don't step on the material while making the frame, though this should be a problem with such a small screen unless you are very short.

Note the labels that say 'top' and 'bottom' and make sure you construct the frame bottom and top to match! This is important for the proper angle of reflectance for a ceiling mounted projector.

You connect the snaps starting at the top corner and across the top, then stand up the frame (support the side ends of the frame against a couple of chair arms or something so it doesn't fall over) and complete the snaps on the sides and bottom. The material stretches easily and any wrinkles will work themselves out when your done. Try not to trip and fall through the frame at this point.

When you mount the frame to the wall brackets, try to sit the lower brackets of the frame onto the brackets on the wall first, then push the top frame brackets into the top wall brackets - all frame brackets are to the "inside" of the wall brackets. The screw threads go into the frame brackets through a clear hole which in the wall brackets. Don't overtighten any of the frame bracket screws or the main screws that mount to the wall brackets. I found that Stewart is using a soft aluminum and course threads and they are very easy to strip. I've stripped two of them now. Had to ask for a replacement the first time.

Store the screen material tube with all paper and foam rolled up inside. To dismantle in the future, just lay the screen back down face up onto the rolled out backing. Might want to take a picture of it to remember how it looked. Go around and unsnap all the snaps. Pick up the frame and put aside. Roll up the material very carefully so that you don't make wrinkles that might cause permanent creases. Put back in the tube.
post #652 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

A couple more questions:

It is not too dificult to assemble, but it would be bes as a 2-person job. The screen doesn't weigh much, but it's big and you will need help hanging it. And it helps to have someone hold the frame while you snap in the fabric.

It usually takes Jason and I about 15-20 minutes, but we've done a bazillion of them.

I'd say allow yourself a couple of hours if you've never done one before.

You'll need:
A stud finder
A level
A drill with philips bit
A wrench to tighten frame/bracket bolts
Some heavy duty phillips screws
Strong fingers (for snaps)

You first slide in the EZ mount brackets, then assemble the frame (leave EZ mount brackets somewhat loose). Leave the fabric safe in its tube for now.

Next find (2) studs to mount to. They don't have to be centered, as the brackets give some leeway. They should be studs that will eventually covered by the screen, but they should be as close to the left and right edges as possible.

Hold the assembled frame to the wall at the actual height and the general left-right location that you want. Slide one of the top brackets over to your selected stud and screw through the bracket into the stud with a heavy duty screw. Throw your level on top of the frame and screw through the other top bracket into your other selected stud, making sure you are level. Once it's level, you can slide frame on the brackets to center the screen.

Next slide the bottom brackets into place and drive in the bottom screws. All of the screws should stick out about 1/2" or so. You may have to adjust this. You don't want them to poke the fabric, but you do want to be able to snag the bracket.

Once you have it centered, etc., carefully take it off of the wall (you don't want the loose brackets to move). Then tighten the brackets so they stay in the right place. Note: Do not overtighten - the frame is aluminum and will strip easily. You should now have (4) screws sticking out of the wall.

Next, with the frame on the floor, have one person hold the frame steady while the other snaps in all the top snaps of the fabric as they slowly unroll it. The fabric will have a label indicating which end is the top. Make sure this lines up with the top of the frame so all your snaps line up properly. Once all the top snaps are in, finish snapping in the rest of 'em.

Now for the hard part...

With everything assembled, you have to get the brackets lined up with the screws that are now sticking out of the wall. This may take a bit of trial and error to get all the screws into the brackets.

It's almost like hanging a giant picture.

This probably sounds more complicated than it is, but I hope this helps you out.

As far as dismanling a screen, your best bet is to roll the material back onto a tube (sort of the reverse of what's described above). Once the new screen is all set, you can roll your old material onto the tube that comes with the new screen.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #653 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
+1

I've hung a Stewart Luxus screen on my own AND with help, and given the choice I'd definitely NOT do it alone again. Did it work as a solo project? Sure. Was the chance of messing up considerable higher? Yep.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #654 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hey Carey P - Sorry to post over you. I was called away for lunch in the middle of posting, and didn't realize you had already replied by the time I finished my post.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #655 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

+1

I've hung a Stewart Luxus screen on my own AND with help, and given the choice I'd definitely NOT do it alone again. Did it work as a solo project? Sure. Was the chance of messing up considerable higher? Yep.

I agree. It is certainly possible to do alone, but much easier to do with 2 people.

Plus when you mess up, there's someone there to hear the stream of profanity.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #656 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A couple more questions:

1) I hung my 110" Luxus Deluxe myself, and it was pretty easy. You need a big space to set it up. First the frame, then snapping the screen into place. I did the frame in another room, moved it, and then used just the frame to position the hangers on the wall. I leaned the frame against the wall, turned on the projector (no input, big blue screen), and did a rough sizing and location based on that. Then I found studs that would evenly distribute the hangers, put the top hangers on, hung it loosely (without the screen), located the bottom hangers and screwed them in place loosely, then took the whole thing down. Then I snapped the screen in, leaving the protective cover on, tightened all the hangers, hung it (was a little tricky getting it into all six hangers with the screen in), then removed the protective cover.

2) Same way you assembled it, I assume. Just unsnap and roll it up. I kept the protective cover just in case, so I could roll it up with the cushiony cover.

If you have two people, it would be a snap (no pun intended). I actually didn't want two people, so I couldn't blame anyone else if they smudged the screen material, or sweat on it, or whatever.

post #657 of 1947 Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone ever replace the material on your Stewart screen? I have an electric drop down model (Model A Electriscreen). Seems crazy to through out the unit and purchase a new one, but maybe that is the only way to go? SJ
post #658 of 1947 Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Anyone ever replace the material on your Stewart screen? I have an electric drop down model (Model A Electriscreen). Seems crazy to through out the unit and purchase a new one, but maybe that is the only way to go? SJ

I've replaced the material on my fixed frame screen which saved me over 50% of a new screen. I doubt the electric drop-down is a simple snap-on type. Probably more involved and expensive to replace, I don't know. Marc probably knows better.
post #659 of 1947 Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
100" Stewart FireHawk G3

Thought you guys might enjoy a couple pictures.

post #660 of 1947 Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

For a Model A Electriscreen, the entire screen would have to be packed up and sent back to Stewart. They would then re-screen it for you at the factory.

If you don't have your original packaging, they can send you replacement packaging (about $80 to $100 if I recall correctly).

You would also need your serial number to get a quote.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page