Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

With Microperf X2, there are 3 main considerations in my opinion:

1) Your seating distance.
I can see (or at least sense) the perfs at about 10 feet from a microperf X2 ST130 screen. People with better eyes may be able to see them at greater distances. For me, once I get beyond 10 feet or so, I can't see them and they don't affect my viewing experience.

2) Your screen gain.
The higher the gain, the more noticeable the perfs due to the greater contrast between screen and "hole". If you get an UltraMatte200 screen, the perfs are more noticeable than with a ST130 screen. But as your seating distance increases, again this becomes moot.

3) Speaker distance (speaker face to screen).
Your speakers should be 12+ inches behind the screen for best audio results. Stewart also supplies their Cinemasonic audio processors as needed for each speaker that is behind the screen.

If your seating and speaker distances are OK, the microperf screens work very well.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I think I should be ok based on your criteria:

1) First row at 12'.

2) Will go with either a FH (1.25) or ST (1.3) so I suppose if all else equal then choose the FH for the lower gain.

3) I have a recessed rectangular cavity that is 24" deep that we will potentially be hiding the speakers in.

Should I be concerned that one of our potential dealers made such a blanket statement (running from any dealer that recommends microperf) without really knowing the exact logistics at hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1917 Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what this dealer's experience level is with microperf screens, so it's tough to say. We've installed many, many Stewart microperfed screens and they do an excellent job both for audio and for video as long as you follow the guidelines I mentioned earlier. Perhaps they do not follow these guidelines?

And of course, every room has different physical requirements, everyone has a different budget in mind, and everyone has different preferences, so what is "ideal" for one person may not work (or be desirable) for another.

One more thing: I would recommend getting a free sample swatch of perfed fabric from Stewart so you can see if the perfs are an issue for you at your seating distance.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #723 of 1917 Old 03-19-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what this dealer's experience level is with microperf screens, so it's tough to say. We've installed many, many Stewart microperfed screens and they do an excellent job both for audio and for video as long as you follow the guidelines I mentioned earlier. Perhaps they do not follow these guidelines?

And of course, every room has different physical requirements, everyone has a different budget in mind, and everyone has different preferences, so what is "ideal" for one person may not work (or be desirable) for another.

One more thing: I would recommend getting a free sample swatch of perfed fabric from Stewart so you can see if the perfs are an issue for you at your seating distance.

Thanks for the info about the free sample. I was unaware that you could get one. As far as the dealer, they're pretty reputable but according to him, in the past 7 years he's only put in a handful of perf screens, and that was only when no other viable alternative existed. Whereas, another dealer I am considering is a strong advocate of the perfs. I suppose my desired set-up will indeed influence which dealer I choose. Thanks again Marc. I appreciate the feedback, especially since you've successfully installed quite a few.
post #724 of 1917 Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

One other quick follow-up question to Marc, Jason or anyone else who has experience with both - how do you compare the Stewart microperf screens to the SMX woven ones? I read literature from both sites and naturally they have all sorts of tests/graphs indicating that their technology is the best. But I'm looking for a hands-on unbiased opinion.
post #725 of 1917 Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 AM

Generally speaking, Stewart is better on the video side and SmX is better on the audio side. The advantage Stewart has is higher gain which normally solves more problems for home theater than having your audio behind a screen.

Stewart's microperf is the smallest in the industry however, aside from weaves.

I guess it really depends. SmX came out partly to compete against the higher priced Screen Research AT screens. It does compete against Stewart but again, I'm not sure apples to apples really figures in here.

Richard
post #726 of 1917 Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Richard. If you had to choose between the following, costs aside, which would you choose for the best video/audio experience:

1) A Stewart 110" FH microperf, placing B&W CT 7.3 and two SW12 subs behind the scrceen, flanked with a CT 7.3 on each side (not behind but hiding behind GOM fabric)

2) Regular Stewart 110" FH, with the center and two subs below the screen behind GOM fabric and a CT 7.3 on each side hiding behind GOM fabric

Not sure whether this matters at all, but projector will likely be either a Marantz VP15S1 or a SIM2 Domino D80E.
post #727 of 1917 Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Well two different technical things.

On the one hand, the AT screen will give you a cleaner theater look, and the experience of having your venter channel behind the screen is differetn. Well, not different if you go to a lot of commercial theaters but from having a center speaker behind the screen takes a little getting used to. And after you're used to it, most people don't want it any way but that. We're so used to hearing audio from below or above the on screen action.

There is no wrong answer for not having it behind your screen. It works in hundreds of thousands of theaters fine.

If money were no object though, all things considered, I'd go for the AT solution.

Both projectors would be great. I've seen them both on an AT screen.

Richard
post #728 of 1917 Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 PM

I posted this in a separate thread as well, but was hoping to get a response from someone at AVS.

I currently have a dedicated home theater room with complete light control. The ceiling and walls are white, the carpet beige, and the screen area is flanked by espresso (very, very dark brown) velvet curtains. The Sony Black Pearl projector (which I purchased from AVS) is at a throw distance of 15 feet and is on a shelf 5 feet high, behind the seating area. The seating distance from the screen is 11.5 feet. I have been enjoying Blu-ray and HD DVD movies on my white textured wall for several months, but can't help but think a screen would be significantly better. I am not sure whether or not to go with a white screen (Stewart studiotek 130) since I have complete light control, or consider a grey screen, such as the Stewart Firehawk, due to the white ceiling and white side walls. I plan on a 16:9, 100" diagonal screen size. Please comment on whether or not the Black Pearl would provide and adequately bright picture at this screen size and throw distance taking into account the gain of the recommended screen. Any insight/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
post #729 of 1917 Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Tikk, I too am in the same boat trying to decide between the FH and ST. Per Marc's suggestion, I requested samples from Stewart. Didn't realize the FH was so gray. I also emailed Stewart directly looking for clarification between the two. Here is the response I received:

Yes the FireHawk G3 is a high contrast material which is why it is so
gray... it is the best material to use in high ambient light lit
rooms... StudioTek 130 is also a great material and was designed for
use
in completely controlled light environments... both materials are great
however they do have their differences and the best way to determine
which is the best material for your application is to determine what
type of environment it will be used in and what you (the viewer) are
looking for out of your screen... what you're comparing here is
contrast
vs. brightness and ultimately the best way to decide is to figure out
which will you benefit the most from... in a highly lit room a FireHawk
will always win over a StudioTek... the high contrast of this material
will allow you to bring in ambient light without washing out the
image... yes your whites will not as white as they would be on a white
screen but you will have deeper black levels and a great image on your
screen... if you have a controlled dark environment with dark walls,
floors and ceiling then a StudioTek would work best... the high
contrast
would not be needed as there would be no ambient light competing with
the projector and you can keep your whites bright...
post #730 of 1917 Old 03-28-2008, 05:47 AM

Hi just thought I'd share my latest acquisition. I'm now officially part of the Stewart clan...

Ordered: Stewart Luxus model with Studio Tek 130 G3 material in a 16:9 format, 96 inch diagonal. Can’t go any wider than 96 inches because of main speaker placement within the HT.

Looking forward to installing it and viewing HD material on it!
post #731 of 1917 Old 03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkenator2 View Post

I posted this in a separate thread as well, but was hoping to get a response from someone at AVS.

I currently have a dedicated home theater room with complete light control. The ceiling and walls are white, the carpet beige, and the screen area is flanked by espresso (very, very dark brown) velvet curtains. The Sony Black Pearl projector (which I purchased from AVS) is at a throw distance of 15 feet and is on a shelf 5 feet high, behind the seating area. The seating distance from the screen is 11.5 feet. I have been enjoying Blu-ray and HD DVD movies on my white textured wall for several months, but can't help but think a screen would be significantly better. I am not sure whether or not to go with a white screen (Stewart studiotek 130) since I have complete light control, or consider a grey screen, such as the Stewart Firehawk, due to the white ceiling and white side walls. I plan on a 16:9, 100" diagonal screen size. Please comment on whether or not the Black Pearl would provide and adequately bright picture at this screen size and throw distance taking into account the gain of the recommended screen. Any insight/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In your case you can really go either way. The white walls/ceiling will effectively create ambient light due to reflection. But, you have a light controlled room so other ambient light isn't an issue.

Myself, I would prefer a white screen such as StudioTek130 in your scenario, as the Sony projector has very good black level, and the reflected light will be relatively minor. The white screen will give you more vibrant color than a gray screen. If having the absolute best black level is your primary goal, then the FireHawk might be a better choice.

Either way, you're in for a huge improvement compared to your wall.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #732 of 1917 Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jockey View Post

Hi just thought I'd share my latest acquisition. I'm now officially part of the Stewart clan...

Ordered: Stewart Luxus model with Studio Tek 130 G3 material in a 16:9 format, 96 inch diagonal. Can't go any wider than 96 inches because of main speaker placement within the HT.

Looking forward to installing it and viewing HD material on it!

Congrats on your new toy - You will not be disappointed!

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #733 of 1917 Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Congrats on your new toy - You will not be disappointed!

Thank you!

Just in... I just ordered a Runco RS900 to go with it!

Can't finish the HT renovations fast enough.
post #734 of 1917 Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 PM

How much space do I need between the Stewart acoustically transparent Microperf and the in wall speakers?
post #735 of 1917 Old 03-30-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzmister View Post

How much space do I need between the Stewart acoustically transparent Microperf and the in wall speakers?

I'll let Jason or Marc confirm, but my potential dealer told me that you need at least 12" for it to work effectively.
post #736 of 1917 Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 AM

I've only got 5cm between the centre speaker and the screen...
post #737 of 1917 Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In your case you can really go either way. The white walls/ceiling will effectively create ambient light due to reflection. But, you have a light controlled room so other ambient light isn't an issue.

Myself, I would prefer a white screen such as StudioTek130 in your scenario, as the Sony projector has very good black level, and the reflected light will be relatively minor. The white screen will give you more vibrant color than a gray screen. If having the absolute best black level is your primary goal, then the FireHawk might be a better choice.

Marc, I've got a similar set-up but most likely will have maroon walls and going with a SIM2 Domino D80E (good black levels?). Dealer has suggested FH but I'm thinking ST might be the better choice. Plus, mostly movie watching and not much gaming or sports. Would you choose ST in this instance?
post #738 of 1917 Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Anyone see black waves at the top of the screen where it connects to the frame? I see these mostly when the screen is panning.
post #739 of 1917 Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzmister View Post

Ideally you want at least 12". Less than that and you will lose more high frequency information.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #740 of 1917 Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Marc, I've got a similar set-up but most likely will have maroon walls and going with a SIM2 Domino D80E (good black levels?). Dealer has suggested FH but I'm thinking ST might be the better choice. Plus, mostly movie watching and not much gaming or sports. Would you choose ST in this instance?

The D80E has great black levels, so it really doesn't need help in this area. If you had an older LCD, I might suggest FHG3 fabric, but for your D80E in a dark-walled room, I think you will be ultimately happier with the ST130G3 fabric.

If you want to have your lights on while watching, this would sway me back towards FHG3...

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #741 of 1917 Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleskau View Post

Anyone see black waves at the top of the screen where it connects to the frame? I see these mostly when the screen is panning.

Try this:
Stand at one end of the screen with a flashlight. Hold the flashlight near the screen surface and shine it toward the opposite side of the screen. Does it look like the material itself is wavy?

If so, the most common cause is installing the fabric upside down. There is a top and a bottom to the fabric. You should see a label that says "top" near the snaps. Another possibility if the waviness is localized, is that one of the snaps needs to be moved slightly. They are position adjustable.

If the material itself is not wavy, it would follow that there is a defect in the optical coating. If this is the case, Stewart will replace your screen fabric under warranty if you are still in your warranty period. They will need your serial number.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #742 of 1917 Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Hi all,

I've decided to go for a Firehawk G3 to help combat my white walls/ceiling and imperfect light control but need some advice regarding optimal size. My setup is as follows:

JVC RS1
Throw distance: 10'9 (ceiling mounted)
Viewing distance: 11'6

I'm firing a 100" image onto a white wall at the moment which looks about right to me but I'm slightly worried if hotspotting would be an issue with the FHG3 at these sizes. If so, what's the biggest screen I could go for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Barco 808S, Crystalio, Philips 963 SDI, Proceed AVP, Bryston 9BSST, PMC monitors, B&W ASW850 + Paradigm Servo 15
post #743 of 1917 Old 04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcofan View Post

Hi all,

I've decided to go for a Firehawk G3 to help combat my white walls/ceiling and imperfect light control but need some advice regarding optimal size. My setup is as follows:

JVC RS1
Throw distance: 10'9 (ceiling mounted)
Viewing distance: 11'6

I'm firing a 100" image onto a white wall at the moment which looks about right to me but I'm slightly worried if hotspotting would be an issue with the FHG3 at these sizes. If so, what's the biggest screen I could go for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

That should be fine. I'm at about 12.5' throw with a 110" FHG3 screen.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #744 of 1917 Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the reassurance!

Barco 808S, Crystalio, Philips 963 SDI, Proceed AVP, Bryston 9BSST, PMC monitors, B&W ASW850 + Paradigm Servo 15
post #745 of 1917 Old 04-12-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcofan View Post

Thanks for the reassurance!

No problem. I didn't say it, but I have zero hotspotting. I think the G3 has significantly improved hotspotting resiliance, especially if you're ceiling mounted. They had some other FH for short-throws, prior to the G3, but I think when I talked to Stewart they said that was basically obsolete when the FHG3 came out.

post #746 of 1917 Old 04-24-2008, 09:15 AM

I have a Marantz VP-11S2 that will be mounted 17' from a 120" wide microperf screen with front row seats about 13' from screen in a dark basement room.

I was going with the FireHawk, but Stewart recommended UltraMatte 150. Having read all of your posts, I'm leaning toward StudioTek 130. Help would be appreciated.
post #747 of 1917 Old 04-26-2008, 04:18 AM

I just opened my Stuart Filmscreen 110" Studiotek 130 Deluxe box which was shipped to me from the company and I do notsee any wall mount bracket inside. All 4 frame assembly pieces (velvet covered) are in there but no wall mount brackets. Is this possible? It's the weekend and the company is closed till Monday. HELP!!!
post #748 of 1917 Old 04-26-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunionbob View Post

I just opened my Stuart Filmscreen 110" Studiotek 130 Deluxe box which was shipped to me from the company and I do notsee any wall mount bracket inside. All 4 frame assembly pieces (velvet covered) are in there but no wall mount brackets. Is this possible? It's the weekend and the company is closed till Monday. HELP!!!

The wall mounts are pieces that slide into the screen frame, and are basically flat brackets with a slight offset in the middle.

You sure you don't have them? They are one piece, you slide them into the frame and also screw them into the wall. It would be in a little plastic bag. Make sure you look deep inside everything, I think mine was taped to one end.

post #749 of 1917 Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunionbob View Post

There should have been one plastice bag with 6 (for a 110 frame) 2 inch by 4 inch adaptor plates with allen head bolts and square nuts that do the sliding in the horizontal frame tracks.

I wouldnt screw them into the wall though, most walls have walffles.. ha.. which will torque the screen.

Consider this: dont snap the fabric yet; purchase 3 1/4 by 2inch aluminum bar straps about 6 feet long; drill and tap two 1/4-20 holes in each for the slide mounts; and one more 3/8 inch hole at the top end of each bar - no tap. the big top hole will be about 4 inchs above and behind the screen; paint the Al your favorite black; now ( on day 2) mount a 6 feet long unistrut on your wall near the ceiling line. the screen will hange from the unistrut so you can offset it out from the wall for example clearance for speakers etc. ; Now bolt 3 unistruct T adaptors to the main channel, they will slide easily to locate your 3 SF mounts that you drilled the 3/8 hole into. ; fNow hange the frame with three 3/8 bolts and tweak it, center it, tilt it, level it and then take a picture of it to show everyone why your getting a divorice.

Now take it down and snap up the fabric; then hang the screen in about 2 minutes. Not done, you know the store where your ex wife got her black velvet sateen cloth, Joann's I think, get some to cover (as a valance) unistruct above the screen and maybe even hang some from the sides.

I have some pictures if you like.
Hibo
post #750 of 1917 Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Questions;

What is the gain on Perforated Firehawk?

From what distance do the perfs become visible?

RS2 + Perforated Firehawk = good combo?

RS2 + Perforated Firehawk ---- 110" Diagonal Perforated Firehawk okay?
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page