post #61 of 1947 Old 02-13-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

Currently, the Media Screen uses FireHawk material- Stewart has yet to release their version of a "black" screen. Look for that at the upcoming CEDIA most likely.

They also make the media screen in a rear-projection setup.

Dan

The info I've seen said the the Media screen was Firehawk MATERIAL with a special 'optical coating', that seems to imply that it is not just a std Firehawk screen. I could, of course, be totally wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1947 Old 02-14-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My point being that Stewart has been in development of a screen like the Supernova from DNP for several years, but it has yet to be released- the soonest I would expect to see it in a "real" setting would be CEDIA 06.

As far as the "special 'optical coating' " on the Firehawk, I could only guess at this point- I haven't spoken with anyone from Stewart since CES.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #63 of 1947 Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

My point being that Stewart has been in development of a screen like the Supernova from DNP for several years, but it has yet to be released- the soonest I would expect to see it in a "real" setting would be CEDIA 06.

As far as the "special 'optical coating' " on the Firehawk, I could only guess at this point- I haven't spoken with anyone from Stewart since CES.

Dan

OK, thanks for the comments and info. I guess we will just have to wait and see what Stewart comes up with.
post #64 of 1947 Old 02-15-2006, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
What's the word on the second hand market/re-sale market for Stewart screens? Being that they are arguably the best line of screens available, I'd think their value would hold up pretty well and there would be a brisk market.

Maybe I'm frequenting the wrong places, but my experience with trying to sell my current fixed Firehawk screen, to raise cash to get closer to buying a motorized Stewart screen, has not worked so well.

As it is, I'm going to use a da-lite pulldown for a while (cannot use a fixed wall screen in my new home) but if I can figure out where buyers and sellers of used Stewart screens connect, I'll be a step closer to selling what I have, and buying what I need. There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity in the for sale area of AVS, nor the usual auction sites.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #65 of 1947 Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I have a 92" Studiotek 130. Kind of looking dirty recently with some yellowish marks. On the Stewart website, it says it is washable. How does one go about cleaning it? thanks.
post #66 of 1947 Old 02-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhgt View Post

Hi

I have a 92" Studiotek 130. Kind of looking dirty recently with some yellowish marks. On the Stewart website, it says it is washable. How does one go about cleaning it? thanks.

Here's what the Stewart site says, but I've never tried more than a damp wash cloth: The screen surface on your Stewart screen is extremely delicate. Special attention to these instructions should be followed when cleaning. A draftsman-style
brush may be used to lightly whisk away any loose dirt or dust particles. (This type of brush is usually available at office supply stores.) For tougher spots, use a mild
solution detergent, water, and a sponge. Rub lightly. Blot with a damp sponge to absorb excess water. Do not use any other cleaning materials on the screen. Cleaning instruction are also available in your owners manual.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/faq...t_video_screen
post #67 of 1947 Old 02-23-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In Stewart's description of the Firehawk, it suggests that it is very good in eliminating ambient light from directions horizontal to the screen ("preserves image contrast by dampening room cross light reflection as much as 90%"), and presumably less well on light from above or below the screen. Similarly, I think I have read in other places that the Firehawk is essentially as good as the Supernova with regard to horizontal light, just not as good as vertical light from above or below.

If this is all true, then I find this to be very good, for certainly in my situation (and probably in most people's), ambient light mostly comes from horizontal directions. Am I interpreting all of this correctly? And it this lack of descriminating against vertical light related to the fact that the Firehawk is an 'angular reflective' screen, best mounted on the ceiling at a point higher than the top of the screen?
post #68 of 1947 Old 02-24-2006, 06:03 AM

Is this cloth available to use on a DIY frame?
post #69 of 1947 Old 02-26-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I am planning a CH setup of 54" ht. with a 127" width. This yields a 138"D for scope movies and a 110"D for 1.78 format. I am trying to decide btwn the Studiotek 130 and the Ultramatte 150. The Ultra is called a Studiotek with more gain (a good thing), but there must be some differences or they wouldn't make both models under diff. names. I'll be using a 3 chip Sim2 C3X Lite, so the extra gain may prove useful. The primary use is for reasonably dark theater with scope movies. Execpt during NFL football season.

Questions: Other than slight gain advantage, is there a reason for one over the other. The modest diff. in half-gain angle is of little concern to me. I'm more wondering about surface material diffs. Also, when Stewart says they make custom sizes at no extra charge, what is that based on? Do I price the screen at the 1.78 dimension of 96" X 54" (for 54" CH) and they just give me the wider screen (127") free? They don't list any CH sizes, so I don't know how this "custom size free" works.

Lastly, I am assuming their measurements for seam vs. non-seam are H X W (in that order). Otherwise, that plays into the Studiotek decision. They state "no seams" up to 8'6" X 50'. It seems reasonable to me that they are saying H X W, but I have reasoned incorrectly before. Appreciate help with any/all of my questions. Thanks in advance.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #70 of 1947 Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Flint 350,,, First off, no seam is necessary. Neither fabric is axially directional, so they can be run either way. Published sizes and prices reflect sizes which are common, and in no way constrain what is available from Stewart. We build exactly what is requested.

Studiotek has a bit better off axis viewing cone. Ultramatte 150 has as good of a viewing cone as any fabric available at that gain. Since the Studiotek is a little lower in on-axis gain, the cone is wider, which also translates to slight improvement in white field uniformity. The Ultramatte 150 has a slightly smoother surface texture which some viewers prefer.

So if your calculations indicate that foot lamberts are in short supply, the Ultramatte 150 is a good solution. In order to preserve maximum white field uniformity and center to edge brightness uniformity, we encourage use of longer focal lengths, so that the angles of incidence are in a tighter distribution.

Millerwill, Firehawk fabric is not axially directional and will accept or reject light uniformly side to side, or top to bottom.

Mark Robinson
Vice President of Technology
Stewart Filmscreen

post #71 of 1947 Old 02-27-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m Robinson View Post

Flint 350,,, First off, no seam is necessary. Neither fabric is axially directional, so they can be run either way. Published sizes and prices reflect sizes which are common, and in no way constrain what is available from Stewart. We build exactly what is requested.

Studiotek has a bit better off axis viewing cone. Ultramatte 150 has as good of a viewing cone as any fabric available at that gain. Since the Studiotek is a little lower in on-axis gain, the cone is wider, which also translates to slight improvement in white field uniformity. The Ultramatte 150 has a slightly smoother surface texture which some viewers prefer.

So if your calculations indicate that foot lamberts are in short supply, the Ultramatte 150 is a good solution. In order to preserve maximum white field uniformity and center to edge brightness uniformity, we encourage use of longer focal lengths, so that the angles of incidence are in a tighter distribution.

Millerwill, Firehawk fabric is not axially directional and will accept or reject light uniformly side to side, or top to bottom.

Interesting... It just so happens, I'm currently evaluating both the ST130 and
Ultramatte150 and noticed an ever so slight sheen on the Ultramatte150. Just
curious if the sheen would be contributed to the surface texture or the
optical coating?

Dave
---
"Better to burn out then fade away"
post #72 of 1947 Old 02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The texture you see on the surface IS the optical coating, if you flip the material over what you see is the substrate for the screen.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #73 of 1947 Old 02-28-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

m Robinson, thanks for the info. That helps a lot. I have decided on the Ultramatte 150 (with the help of my AVS salesman) in a 127" wide CH setup. I'm sure it will look great. Thanks again.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #74 of 1947 Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 PM

I am trying to decide on a projector screen for my dedicated theater room. I have light controlled room with walls that of a medium color. The room will be used to watch the occasional football game but mostly for movies. When watching football games there will be some room lights on. I am trying to decide on which Stewart Screen to purchase.

I have a Panasonic AE-900 projector that I will be using and projecting a 123 diagonal image. I am trying to decide on Stewart StudioTek 130 Screen or Stewart Firehawk Screen. I decided on the Stewart Screen because it is the best and I expect the screen to be in my theater for a long time - but with the projector I do expect to replace it in the next 2-3 years with decent DLP projector. Because of the enormous expense of building and equipping the theater room, I have to cut expenses somewhere. For the price, I just could not pass up getting the Panasonic AE-900. I expect the sell the Panasonic in 2-3 years and be able to buy a $4-$5,000 DLP projector. I anticipate that screen technology to pretty much stay the same and want a screen that can I can grow with. My local dealer recommends buying the Firehawk screen and later I can buy the StudioTek 130 material when I buy another projector. I do not have any idea of what the replacement screen material would cost.

Does this make sense? What do you think will be the best choice in screen material for the long term? Which screen is best with the Panasonic AE-900U projecting a 123 image, Stewart StudioTek 130 or Stewart Firehawk?

"trust but verify"
post #75 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 09:46 AM

Studiotek would excel if you really control the light, and also helps you a lot if you need to use a short throw. Firehawk would be very pleasing as well, and particularly so when ambient light is harder to control. Either one will be plenty bright. The AE900 has a very flexible lens. I have this projector in my family room right now. The screen is 106" diagonal, with a 21.5 foot throw, from the opposite wall, and it looks fantastic. It was utterly scalding bright watching the Olympics in HD, with lighting on, in a convivial party atmosphere.

The long throw helps with Firehawk's slight tendency to hot-spot as compared to Studiotek. The AE900 definitely can use help with room contrast, and the Firehawk really works in this regard. I went with Firehawk, albiet smaller image, and I have lousy light control, an architectural choice in that room.

Mark Robinson
Director of Manufacturing
Stewart Filmscreen Corp

Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen

post #76 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Mark Robinson or anyone.

Has anybody successfully used the Panasonic AE-900 with a Stewart Studiotek 130 Microperf screen? I have a Studiotek 130 in a 49" X 87" (100" diagonal) size.

Will I experience moire with this particular setup?

Thanks!

...Glenn
post #77 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 AM

Short answer, no moire.

Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen Corp

Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen

post #78 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mark, another question if you will.

First off my room is totally light controlled. I was going to use my 49" X 87" Studiotek 130 Microperf screen with an 8" CRT projector I have but my particular ceiling will not accomodate the large beast at this time.

Besides your comment that I should not experience moire from pairing of the Microperf and the AE900, do you think that the AE900 will perform well even with the light loss due to the Microperfs... will the lumen output be sufficient with the 130?

...Glenn
post #79 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Mark, another question if you will.

First off my room is totally light controlled. I was going to use my 49" X 87" Studiotek 130 Microperf screen with an 8" CRT projector I have but my particular ceiling will not accomodate the large beast at this time.

Besides your comment that I should not experience moire from pairing of the Microperf and the AE900, do you think that the AE900 will perform well even with the light loss due to the Microperfs... will the lumen output be sufficient with the 130?

...Glenn

The loss of light through the perfs is 10%. You'll still have more than enough.

Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen

post #80 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mark

Iam replacing my CRT with a Samsung sph710ae. Iam in a light contolled room dark walls and floor. I have a Studiotek 130 92" diagonal now. I would like to go bigger 100" diagonal. I dont know if I should go with Studiotek or greyhawk RS or firehawk. I have no way of comparing the different screen.

Thanks
Brad
post #81 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Studiotek at that size, too much area to illuminate with the lower gain of the Grayhawk RS.

Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen

post #82 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark

Thanks for the help.

Brad
post #83 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Studiotek would excel if you really control the light, and also helps you a lot if you need to use a short throw. Firehawk would be very pleasing as well, and particularly so when ambient light is harder to control. Either one will be plenty bright. The AE900 has a very flexible lens. I have this projector in my family room right now. The screen is 106" diagonal, with a 21.5 foot throw, from the opposite wall, and it looks fantastic. It was utterly scalding bright watching the Olympics in HD, with lighting on, in a convivial party atmosphere.

The long throw helps with Firehawk's slight tendency to hot-spot as compared to Studiotek. The AE900 definitely can use help with room contrast, and the Firehawk really works in this regard. I went with Firehawk, albiet smaller image, and I have lousy light control, an architectural choice in that room.

Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen Corp

Mark - Thanks for the help. I think that I will start the Firehawk and see how that looks.

"trust but verify"
post #84 of 1947 Old 03-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mark Robinson,

I think I speak for all as I say THANK YOU for your presence here on the Stewart screen thread answering all our questions... it is most refreshing for a manufacturer to do this!

...Glenn
post #85 of 1947 Old 03-04-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I definately second that, THANK YOU Mark
post #86 of 1947 Old 03-07-2006, 04:52 AM

Mark (or others),

I have a question regarding the FireHawk vs the GrayHawk screens. I am thinking of putting a projector into a family room, so a screen that handles ambient light well is a high priority. The area for the projector and screen is fairly small, so I'm looking at a small screen, say 72" or 82" in diagonal. It will have to be a pull down screen of some type because of no available wall space. The projector will need to be ceiling mounted and will have a maximum throw distance of 13' and probably more on the order of 10' or 11'. Seating will also be on the order of 10' or 11' from the screen. I haven't decided on a projector but am considering the Sony Ruby or a similar quality 1080P DLP when they are available.

I'm wondering if I'm likely to have issues regarding hotspotting with the FireHawk? Given that seating will be fairly close to the screen am I also likely to have problems with brightness dropping off for those sitting to the side of the centre of the screen? Any other comments or suggestions regardng screens?

Thanks.

Richard Thomas

Richard Thomas
post #87 of 1947 Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I had a Firehawk in almost the exact same setup (82 inch diag, seating about 11 ft from the screen, projector about 12 feet from the screen, mounted high on the rear wall (similar to ceiling mount)). No hot spotting, better ambient light rejection that the simply Draper gray screen I had before, and brighter.

The only issue is that the ideal distance for the projector is FURTHER BACK than what my setup would allow, to get the optimum brightness/punch from the Firehawk. This didn't mean it looked bad (far from it) but that it could have looked better if I could have mounted the projector further back.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #88 of 1947 Old 03-14-2006, 03:57 PM

I have been trying to find the specifications for a 100" Luxus Deluxe ScreenWall (Firehawk). I'm specifically looking to find the weight of the frame & screen material for hanging purposes.

Thanks....
-Dave

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
post #89 of 1947 Old 03-14-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPyro
I have been trying to find the specifications for a 100" Luxus Deluxe ScreenWall (Firehawk). I'm specifically looking to find the weight of the frame & screen material for hanging purposes.

Thanks....
-Dave
I found the following while crusing the Stewart website a while back.

Stewart_deluxe_screenwall.pdf 196.5830078125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stewart_deluxe_screenwall.pdf (196.6 KB, 19 views)

Dave
---
"Better to burn out then fade away"
post #90 of 1947 Old 03-14-2006, 05:03 PM

ahh..perfect! Thanks! IMHO, their website is a little hard to navigate for hard numbers & specifications....

-Dave

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page