The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1231 of 1947 Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would not consider Grayhawk even though i truly like that material. Greyhawk is a .92 gain as opposed to the Firehawk which is a 1.25 gain. For a 100" screen, go either Firehawk or Studiotek 130.

Me personally, i would go for the pop you would get out of the Studiotek 130, especially if you do not plan on viewing with lights on. Firehawk is a great material but it's all application driven. There is no need to go with a grey screen in a completely darkened environment.

Benito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I mulled over a choice between the Firehawk or the ST-130 for a long time (having seen the Firehawk many of times, the ST-130 rarely). I'm glad I went for the ST-130 for it's extra brightness and "pop" as Benito says. It's just a killer screen.

For me it was a choice between going with a gray screen like the Firehawk to preserve contrast and living with some of it's compromises (e.g. hotspotting, screen texture) or going to some extra effort in controlling room reflections and using the white ST-130.
I'm happy I chose the latter route. I'm seeing the best projected images I personally have seen.
post #1233 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I mulled over a choice between the Firehawk or the ST-130 for a long time (having seen the Firehawk many of times, the ST-130 rarely). I'm glad I went for the ST-130 for it's extra brightness and "pop" as Benito says. It's just a killer screen.

For me it was a choice between going with a gray screen like the Firehawk to preserve contrast and living with some of it's compromises (e.g. hotspotting, screen texture) or going to some extra effort in controlling room reflections and using the white ST-130.
I'm happy I chose the latter route. I'm seeing the best projected images I personally have seen.

Rich,
I've been watching your thread. I too went with the St-130 about year and half ago, and have been amazed every time there's BlueRay outdoor scene of country side or colorful shots. Congratulations.
Hibo
post #1234 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM

Stewart Stats...

ST 130 G3
Gain 1.3
Half Gain 68 Degrees
Viewing Cone 136 Degrees
Ambient Light Reflectance Value 82% Per Foot Candle
Good In Controlled Light Enviroments

FireHawk G3
Gain 1.25
Half Gain 30 Degrees
Viewing Cone 60 Degrees
Ambient Light Reflectance Value .27% Per Foot Candle
Good in Ambient Light

This shows the diff between the 2 models.
If you dont have a Dark Painted room then the ST will light it up with enough Reflective Light to land a plane....

The Firehawk has a reduced viewing cone but you can watch it with the lights on and it Reflects Less light back into the room..(not as good with Reflecting light vs a BD but its still decent)....

Now i understand the difference between the 2 models....
post #1235 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup, great screen.

Something that really surprised me during my research: When I finally got my large samples of the Firehawk and ST-130 screen in my room and tested with various projected images, I'd expected that I'd see more contrast on the Firehawk. I deliberately put up contrasty images (e.g. chain-link fences etc) and to my surprise, subjectively, the ST-130 appeared a bit more contrasty. Black areas seemed very close, but brighter parts of the image were noticeably brighter on the ST-130. A trick of the eyes no doubt, but the contrast on my ST-130 set up has been very vivid.

That said, even though I got an excellent image to begin with, the more room treatment I've added the better. I know have close to a bat-cave for viewing movies and I think my image is about as good as it's going to get...and it's had my guests dropping their jaws at the vividness and contrast.

The other thing is that the viewing angles are so good, hotspotting is virtually imperceptible, so it's like viewing a big plasma in some ways.
I love the way the image stays just right no matter where we sit on the sofa.
post #1236 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Yup, great screen.

Something that really surprised me during my research: When I finally got my large samples of the Firehawk and ST-130 screen in my room and tested with various projected images, I'd expected that I'd see more contrast on the Firehawk. I deliberately put up contrasty images (e.g. chain-link fences etc) and to my surprise, subjectively, the ST-130 appeared a bit more contrasty. Black areas seemed very close, but brighter parts of the image were noticeably brighter on the ST-130. A trick of the eyes no doubt, but the contrast on my ST-130 set up has been very vivid.

That said, even though I got an excellent image to begin with, the more room treatment I've added the better. I know have close to a bat-cave for viewing movies and I think my image is about as good as it's going to get...and it's had my guests dropping their jaws at the vividness and contrast.

The other thing is that the viewing angles are so good, hotspotting is virtually imperceptible, so it's like viewing a big plasma in some ways.
I love the way the image stays just right no matter where we sit on the sofa.
Totally agree if you had a bat cave style room then ST-130 Would really shine,
and you would gain the better viewing angle...

With that great screen harkness you should be able to make some Really Awesome Screen shots...

Now with regards to the ST 130 ,
Home theater Magizine did do testing of that screen vs the Bd in a recent
Test Bench of the BD 1.4 Screen,
Below is the pic from the Magizine of that testing...

ST 130 Stewart

Edit...
Removed the BD Pic comparision that is from the Article,
post #1237 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What a surprise. Fraisa putting the BD screen into another thread....

You forgot to mention those shots were done with ambient light directly hitting the screen, which obviously favor the BD screen.

However, for someone who wants to be able to watch their projected image with some lights on there are various ways of going about achieving that goal. If you don't want to invest any energy in intelligently setting up your room, you can instead invest more of your money in a specialty screen like the Black Diamond, which does some of your work for you. Although at some price...in terms of hotspotting, screen texture, and in the case of the .8 gain version, generally being relegated to small screen sizes due to the low gain effect on image brightness.

Another way of skinning that cat is just paying attention to how you set up your room and system. Keep your screen area darker than the area you want lit up, which is typically were you are sitting. No screen looks better with light shining directly on it, whether you are talking a Black Diamond or a white screen, so light shining over or on the screen isn't something you want in the first place.

My lighting is set in zones so I simply have the lights off over the screen, but lights toward the middle of the room back to the sitting area can remain on, with an extremely vivid image left on the projection screen. (Frankly, more vivid than I've seen with the BD screen in ambient light).

I have yet to take screen shots with an eye to showing actual image quality. I just snapped a few for my build thread showing different screen sizes. But I left the lights on in the room, except over the screen, and you can see what I mean about how the image still looks clear and rich, with good contrast:

post #1238 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM

One other thing to note about the images that fraisa put up is that the Studiotek image is floating within the white image and never ends on the black border. Your perceived brightness, contrast...pretty much everything associated with the image is lowered simply because the image ends on a white screen that then ends on a black border. The BD screen on the other hand ends on the black border the way it's suppose to.

Also makes absolutely no sense for it to be a grey screen vs white screen. I still need to read the article, i'm assuming i'm really missing something.

Benito
post #1239 of 1947 Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Like any review the HT review generally concentrates on the BD screen's performance
in ambient light vs a white screen, hence the comparison to the Studiotek.

The reviewer concludes that the white screen will serve you better in a dark room, but that the BD is very helpful in a brighter room.
post #1240 of 1947 Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Like any review the HT review generally concentrates on the BD screen's performance
in ambient light vs a white screen, hence the comparison to the Studiotek.

The reviewer concludes that the white screen will serve you better in a dark room, but that the BD is very helpful in a brighter room.
And to what the Reviewer Concludes to i totally agree with and it would be the same conclusion with the Stewart Firehawk that is mentioned above.

Dark Room that is Painted and treated the Studio Tek Style Screen..
Light Room that is not paint treated and image watched in a ambient light style room then the Firewhawk Style Screen...(Ambient Light Style Screen)
post #1241 of 1947 Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
]

Like i said above you should take more screen shots because you would produce amazing Pics.......
post #1242 of 1947 Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
J.P

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is the "sparkling" effect from studiotek-130 lesser distracting,from a "longer" viewing distance?
post #1243 of 1947 Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post

Is the "sparkling" effect from studiotek-130 lesser distracting,from a "longer" viewing distance?

I can say that it definitely is. One thing to note, the G3 material has the sparkling effect but nothing compared to the older generation.

The G3 material simply looks good!

Benito
post #1244 of 1947 Old 05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Folks,

I have a 2D projector at the moment but may at some point move to a 3D projector.
I have not yet investigated screens for 3D but I am dimly cognizant that, apparently, some screen types are more suitable for 3D than others (and I have no idea why...that's how green I am with the 3D stuff).

I have the ST-130 screen material. How does it rate in terms of being suitable for 3D projection? (Gawd I'd hate to have to replace it!)

Thanks.
post #1245 of 1947 Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Liked: 53
3D won't be a problem with the ST130 if your projector uses active glasses like the current Sharp or JVCs. If it uses passive glasses then the screen needs to hold polarization and the ST130 would not be a good choice. The current projectors that use a passive 3D system are well into the 5 figure range.
post #1246 of 1947 Old 05-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Yeah you should be in good shape as Bob mentioned.
Some companies such as JVC even used that exact ST13G3 to showcase their projectors so i'm sure you'll be fine.

Benny
post #1247 of 1947 Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Whew. That's reassuring. Especially as I tend to like the JVC projectors.

Thanks guys.
post #1248 of 1947 Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use the ST130 G3 with the RS-40. Simply spectacular!

GO HABS GO!
post #1249 of 1947 Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

I use the ST130 G3 with the RS-40. Simply spectacular!

I have to agree though I don't have the RS40 just the HD 350 and image is amazing.

Frank
post #1250 of 1947 Old 05-07-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I have to agree though I don't have the RS40 just the HD 350 and image is amazing.

JVC loves using Studiotek 130 to show off their projectors. That specific material produces some really nice images!

Benito
post #1251 of 1947 Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

JVC loves using Studiotek 130 to show off their projectors. That specific material produces some really nice images!

Benito

Certainly does.

Frank
post #1252 of 1947 Old 05-09-2011, 06:55 AM

After several months of research I am finally ready to begin construction.
My theater will be 16'wide and 24' deep 7'8" height
Walls & carpet Burgundy, Ceiling grey
I will be purchasing a Firehawk AT and Epson 8700 (possible Panny4000)
I want the largest 2.4 aspect possible so I can have the largest possible 16:9 image when watching sports as well.
I will have 2 rows of seats: 12' and 18' (on a riser)
How close to the ceiling and or the floor is to big?
Unfortunately there is a soffit across the front of the room and the screen needs to be below this
A 120" screen leaves me ~3.5" from the soffit and 30" from the floor
A 133" screen would likely have the frame on the soffit and be ~22" from the floor. I think this is likely to big. Do I need to go even smaller than the 120"?
I was thinking of 10-12" in front of the speakers. Would this be OK for this type of screen?
Thanks for any guidance
post #1253 of 1947 Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 AM

The 120" diagonal is definitely not too big! at 30" from the floor you will be in good shape although I would highly recommend you lay it out on the wall with tape or something similar so that you can get an idea of how it will look from the second row. Also, field of view comes into play as well.

10-12 inches from the screen should be ok. I think Stewart recommends 11" from the screen so you are actually in perfect shape!

If you like, contact anyone from the sales team to provide you some great pricing!

Benito
post #1254 of 1947 Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:

What a surprise. Fraisa putting the BD screen into another thread....

You forgot to mention those shots were done with ambient light directly hitting the screen, which obviously favor the BD screen.

However, for someone who wants to be able to watch their projected image with some lights on there are various ways of going about achieving that goal. If you don't want to invest any energy in intelligently setting up your room, you can instead invest more of your money in a specialty screen like the Black Diamond, which does some of your work for you. Although at some price...in terms of hotspotting, screen texture, and in the case of the .8 gain version, generally being relegated to small screen sizes due to the low gain effect on image brightness.

Another way of skinning that cat is just paying attention to how you set up your room and system. Keep your screen area darker than the area you want lit up, which is typically were you are sitting. No screen looks better with light shining directly on it, whether you are talking a Black Diamond or a white screen, so light shining over or on the screen isn't something you want in the first place.

My lighting is set in zones so I simply have the lights off over the screen, but lights toward the middle of the room back to the sitting area can remain on, with an extremely vivid image left on the projection screen. (Frankly, more vivid than I've seen with the BD screen in ambient light).

I have yet to take screen shots with an eye to showing actual image quality. I just snapped a few for my build thread showing different screen sizes. But I left the lights on in the room, except over the screen, and you can see what I mean about how the image still looks clear and rich, with good contrast:

What projector are you using?
post #1255 of 1947 Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Need some advice,

Thinking of going with an 82 inch fixed 130 G3 and the Panny 4000. Also, have the option of the Panny VT30/65 plasma. For starters, which one would you pick?

The setup will be in a finished basement. I am currently using a Pioneer 60 inch plasma there on a stand and it works great. It is being relocated to another room though. The basment area only has the standard default basement windows on either side wall; otherwise, the room is dark at night. During day, if sunny outside or light clouds, it's not completely dark. I don't really want to cover the windows though. It's not high ceilings as it's a basement so standard 8 foot ceiling (maybe slightly less since it's basement). Viewing distance is about 12 feet but the current Pioneer 60 looks good on a stand. A mounted fixed screen will recess back when on wall so I don't imagine it would be too big based on viewing distance. Could I go bigger or would I want to? I guess a standard black frame from Stewart is best?

What about Panny 4000? It will hitting the screen from about 14 to 16 feet away and mounted on the low ceiling. Is there a distance/height restriction(s) when going with a projector/screen? Any other projector, within this price range, that you would consider?

Finally, would you consider the Panny VT30/65 plasma at all versus the Panny 4000 and Stewart 130? Don't really care about 3D now but would still be neat to have. Would I compromise anything else?
post #1256 of 1947 Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 AM

MStanic, can you please confirm what the seating distance will be from viewer to screen? I know you mentioned it is currently 12' but just wanted to make sure it's 12' for the projection screen as well.

Benito
post #1257 of 1947 Old 05-26-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae3cpamd View Post

What projector are you using?

JVC RS20. About 3 years old now.
post #1258 of 1947 Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 AM

With the screen on the wall, the viewing distance probably increases by about 2 or 3 feet from where the current Pioneer plasma sits on the stand. That would make the viewing distance from the sweet spot around 10 to 12 feet away for sure. The projector would sit about two feet back from this main viewin area. I would have to measure at home tonight to be totally accurate but that's pretty close. What are your thoughts/concerns?
post #1259 of 1947 Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 AM

My only concern is that you are going too small on the image. Even if you are not a fan of a arge image, I would still recommend you go larger. If you are going to be roughly 11' from the screen, an 82" diagonal is cutting you a bit short. I would recommend a 92" diagonal at the very least.

my opinion, go with the projector set up over the plasma.
If you stick with the 82" diagonal, i would consider the Greyhawk material over the ST13. If you plan on bumping it up a bit, then you could stick with the ST130 and get a very nice image. Price difference between the two is small.

As far as projectors, take a look at the epson 8700. It will provide a better overall image than the Panny. Only reason I would choose the Panasonic over the Epson is if you really need the memory presets that it provides.

Benito
post #1260 of 1947 Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Wondering if I've ever heard someone say " ah, the tv or screen I bought is too big" . On the other hand, most people do buy larger view-screens.

Also, do not buy the screen by the diagonal. I want to know ... How wide is it? and how tall is it? If your about 12 feet away, go over 100 inches in width.

My usable peripheral view at 12 feet is about 20 feet, I say try to fill it up, within reason.
Hibo
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page