The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1411 of 1935 Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

WThe black bars are still low enough to not be annoying, since again, projectors have improved in that area and have also have internal masking. I'm not sure why people would ever need side masking these days, but I digress.

I use masking because, even though the JVC projectors do the best black levels, blacks are still visibly higher than "real black" (e.g. the screen frame and the black surrounding wall in my home theater). Bars being "not annoying" is subjective. The difference between my side masking (or top masking) being deployed - and hence being able to see the projected "black" - vs deploying the masking is very, very obvious. It just looks way better with the masking. In fact it looks best when everything is "perfectly" masked. That is, even when there is a sliver of black bar, say the type you get when you change from a 16:9 source to a 1:85:1 movie and you get an inch or two of projected black bars top and bottom, once even those are removed and the transition is made perfectly clean between movie image and black borders, it's like it "snaps" into place and becomes a magic-window effect on the scene.

That's my experience, anyway.

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 1935 Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Carey P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post


I use masking because, even though the JVC projectors do the best black levels, blacks are still visibly higher than "real black" (e.g. the screen frame and the black surrounding wall in my home theater). Bars being "not annoying" is subjective. The difference between my side masking (or top masking) being deployed - and hence being able to see the projected "black" - vs deploying the masking is very, very obvious. It just looks way better with the masking. In fact it looks best when everything is "perfectly" masked. That is, even when there is a sliver of black bar, say the type you get when you change from a 16:9 source to a 1:85:1 movie and you get an inch or two of projected black bars top and bottom, once even those are removed and the transition is made perfectly clean between movie image and black borders, it's like it "snaps" into place and becomes a magic-window effect on the scene.

That's my experience, anyway.

I have just a couple of comments to add. I don't know about the JVC's, but the Panasonic has no light spill to the right or left of the projected image, so in 16:9 those side bars are illuminated mainly by reflected or scattered light originating from the central image itself. Its not "projected black" in this case. In a dark bat cave with light absorbing surroundings close to the screen, those areas look very close to black. Even more so with the Firehawk due to less scattering. In fact, the only time they may not blend in with the black velvet frame is during a fade to black. Even then I don't notice them. What ruins it is if someone opens a door or turns on a light. Then you see the bars as grey because the screen is white of course. This is where I miss the Firehawk with its great off-angle light rejection. In any case, masking would take care of this. So to be cost-effective, I try not to open any doors during a 16:9 movie.

There's another issue in that horizontal bars are more disturbing to the brain than vertical bars. This may be due to the way the eyes move about the screen during a movie, I'm not really sure. But I always eliminate those anyway by slight zooming if needed.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carey P is offline  
post #1413 of 1935 Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

I have just a couple of comments to add. I don't know about the JVC's, but the Panasonic has no light spill to the right or left of the projected image, so in 16:9 those side bars are illuminated mainly by reflected or scattered light originating from the central image itself. Its not "projected black" in this case. In a dark bat cave with light absorbing surroundings close to the screen, those areas look very close to black. Even more so with the Firehawk due to less scattering. In fact, the only time they may not blend in with the black velvet frame is during a fade to black. Even then I don't notice them. What ruins it is if someone opens a door or turns on a light. Then you see the bars as grey because the screen is white of course. This is where I miss the Firehawk with its great off-angle light rejection. In any case, masking would take care of this. So to be cost-effective, I try not to open any doors during a 16:9 movie.

There's another issue in that horizontal bars are more disturbing to the brain than vertical bars. This may be due to the way the eyes move about the screen during a movie, I'm not really sure. But I always eliminate those anyway by slight zooming if needed.

I will tell you this. There is very little difference between the top and bottom bars and my black velvet masking panels with my EN4K screen and JVC RS45. My room has flat black walls, floor and ceiling. In other words, the masking hardly makes a difference. I have it so I use it, but with this combination, the bars are not a big standout.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1414 of 1935 Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Carey P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post


I will tell you this. There is very little difference between the top and bottom bars and my black velvet masking panels with my EN4K screen and JVC RS45. My room has flat black walls, floor and ceiling. In other words, the masking hardly makes a difference. I have it so I use it, but with this combination, the bars are not a big standout.

Mine blend in too, though I always fit to the full height anyway. You must have a 16:9 screen. My last point was actually about the brain-eye connection. People typically are more bothered by horizontal bars than side bars, but that's probably more on flat panels than anywhere else. I suppose either way, if they blend in with the frame, it really shouldn't matter.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carey P is offline  
post #1415 of 1935 Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
How much of a difference something makes tends toward the subjective (though not totally).

I have the JVC RS55 (great black levels), the ST130 (sometimes using large image sizes, e.g. up to 135" 16:9 diagonal), total light control and close to a "black box" as far as killing room reflections.

The black levels are great. But still nowhere near the "true" black of the velvet masking. I can still perceive even small slivers of black bars if the masking is not perfect and to my eye it always makes a difference to get rid of the last bit of black bars.

I've seen set ups before where people said the black bars aren't distracting, or aren't "really all that noticeable" or don't make much difference. But I have yet to see such a set up where I agree. (That includes the Black Diamond screens, often touted as making masking "no longer needed").

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
post #1416 of 1935 Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

How much of a difference something makes tends toward the subjective (though not totally).

I have the JVC RS55 (great black levels), the ST130 (sometimes using large image sizes, e.g. up to 135" 16:9 diagonal), total light control and close to a "black box" as far as killing room reflections.

The black levels are great. But still nowhere near the "true" black of the velvet masking. I can still perceive even small slivers of black bars if the masking is not perfect and to my eye it always makes a difference to get rid of the last bit of black bars.

I've seen set ups before where people said the black bars aren't distracting, or aren't "really all that noticeable" or don't make much difference. But I have yet to see such a set up where I agree. (That includes the Black Diamond screens, often touted as making masking "no longer needed").

Masking is definitely better, but when watching a lot of movies (except really bright day lit scenes) there is not a huge difference between my black velvet masking and the EN4K screen in my all black room. As soon as you introduce ambient light, then it is a different matter.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1417 of 1935 Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Member
 
tyraxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I've got a Firehawk G3 screen that I'm seeing what I'd call some anomalies on. I'm wondering if they are just expected of this material of if my screen is defective and needs to be replaced or... something else.

I'm seeing what I would call horizontal bands across the screen where the image is darker. They are only visible when a bright image is shown. If the lights are up in the room and the projector is off you cannot see them at all.

I was wondering if the screen just needs to settle in from the tensioning or something else - as a home theater novice I'm just not sure. Considering the cost of the screen I'm rather concerned about this issue. Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Tyraxus
tyraxus is offline  
post #1418 of 1935 Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com
 
GetGray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-South USA
Posts: 5,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyraxus View Post

Guys,

I've got a Firehawk G3 screen that I'm seeing what I'd call some anomalies on. I'm wondering if they are just expected of this material of if my screen is defective and needs to be replaced or... something else.

I'm seeing what I would call horizontal bands across the screen where the image is darker. They are only visible when a bright image is shown. If the lights are up in the room and the projector is off you cannot see them at all.

I was wondering if the screen just needs to settle in from the tensioning or something else - as a home theater novice I'm just not sure. Considering the cost of the screen I'm rather concerned about this issue. Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Tyraxus

In case you didn't, put up a white pattern or image and wiggle the PJ. If banding moves it's not the screen. If it does not move, screen. IMO, you should not get any banding from the screen. Speak to your dealer about it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GetGray is offline  
post #1419 of 1935 Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 AM
 
Jimbo85281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of a way to eliminate sparkles and screen texture seen on my firehawk g2 screen? I think it's just something that has to be dealt with when it comes to the firehawk screens but I wasn't sure if people had techniques to reduce it. It's seen mostly on light colored material and can become quite annoying. I have a fairly bright projector (lg cr181d) and I sit 13' from my 123" screen. If this is just something inherent in the screen tech, should I upgrade the material to the g3 to eliminate this?
Jimbo85281 is offline  
post #1420 of 1935 Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Newbie
 
Atlantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

This post is to Mark Haflich , hoping he shows up to answer:

Mark,

Thanks so much for commenting on the performance of your new Studiotek 100 material. It's very intriguing for me as I have the ST-130 material (love it) but as good as it is, my ideal is to get that "screen disappearing" effect you describe with your ST-100 snomatt.

(I now have an 8" x 11" sample of the ST-100 material. Comparing it to my ST-130, the ST-100 has obviously less blurr from optical coating when looking at pixels close up. From a distance, at least with this sample, the brightness difference seemed negligeable (there, but not terribly big difference). It's also been pointed out in some reviews of the ST-100 that due to the subtle hotspotting nature of the ST-130, darker as you move away from the centre of the screen, the overall measured difference of the entire screen surfaces of an ST-100 and ST-130 are not as far off as the gain rating suggests (as the ST-100 remains bright corner-to-corner).

So I hoped the impact of the brightness drop would be somewhat mitigated by this fact. Though, you do note definitely seeing a brightness drop.
(I have to consider these things since I sometimes view images at 130" diagonal 16:9 or 118" wide scope).

I am just about at "bat cave" performance for my room, in terms of employing dark fabrics to cut all room reflections, which is another reason why I'm considering the ST-100 material. Another thing is I absolutely LOVE even image brightness, and viewing angles that are unrestricted, for which the ST-100 no doubt excels.

Still, I admit I'm kind of surprised you found the ST-100 made such a noticeable difference over the ST-130, but it's nice to know that a performance gain in my system is a future possibility (switching to the ST-100). Any additional comments or insight you have on your new screen material would be welcome.

BTW, when you said your wife thought it was "like viewing the disc for the first time" was that a comment comparing your new ST-100 material vs your ST-130, or a comment on the Sony 1000 projector's performance?

Thanks.

Hello Rich,

Newbie here, Black Diamond 4K 1.4 and Firehawk G3 were my first choices. To my eyes, both had a bit of distracting shimmer. I have pretty much blacked out my basement where I can control the lightning. Decided to avoid the 1.3/1.4 gain materials and I have on order the ST-100 material, 110 in diagonal 16:9, Velux frame. Screen should be installed 1st week in June, will try to post my observations.

PJ is an older one, got a great deal on it, Pioneer Elite FPJ1 should have decent black levels. According to my calculations the luminance should be sufficient.

Cheers
Atlantan is offline  
post #1421 of 1935 Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

How much of a difference something makes tends toward the subjective (though not totally).

I have the JVC RS55 (great black levels), the ST130 (sometimes using large image sizes, e.g. up to 135" 16:9 diagonal), total light control and close to a "black box" as far as killing room reflections.

The black levels are great. But still nowhere near the "true" black of the velvet masking. I can still perceive even small slivers of black bars if the masking is not perfect and to my eye it always makes a difference to get rid of the last bit of black bars.

I've seen set ups before where people said the black bars aren't distracting, or aren't "really all that noticeable" or don't make much difference. But I have yet to see such a set up where I agree. (That includes the Black Diamond screens, often touted as making masking "no longer needed").

The reason the black bars are close to matching the black velvet on my screen is the 0.85 gain VS the 1.3 gain of your screen. Makes your screen 1.5 times brighter than mine. That will be a noticeable difference in the black bars. On dark movies, the bars are nearly indistinguishable from the masking. In bright scenes, it stands out more.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1422 of 1935 Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Just a reminder. The Spring Fling sale ends this month.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1423 of 1935 Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Glenn Baumann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Just a reminder. The Spring Fling sale ends this month.

Where can one find the details regarding the Spring Fling sale?
Glenn Baumann is online now  
post #1424 of 1935 Old 05-16-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantan View Post

Hello Rich,

Newbie here, Black Diamond 4K 1.4 and Firehawk G3 were my first choices. To my eyes, both had a bit of distracting shimmer. I have pretty much blacked out my basement where I can control the lightning. Decided to avoid the 1.3/1.4 gain materials and I have on order the ST-100 material, 110 in diagonal 16:9, Velux frame. Screen should be installed 1st week in June, will try to post my observations.

PJ is an older one, got a great deal on it, Pioneer Elite FPJ1 should have decent black levels. According to my calculations the luminance should be sufficient.

Cheers

Great! I'll be very interested in how it works out for you.

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
post #1425 of 1935 Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Where can one find the details regarding the Spring Fling sale?

Give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1426 of 1935 Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 AM
Newbie
 
totopsgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post

Question about Stewart tensioned screens and remote control:
I was doing some research on the Stewart tensioned screens and noticed that the amount of extension of the screen comes pre-set from the factory to drop a certain distance (depending on the customer's specs). According to the owner's manual, there is some range of adjustment so you can limit or extend the drop by +/- a few inches. Does anyone know if this negatively affects the tab-tensioning system if this is done? Also there is a bewildering array of options to control the screen remotely (up and down, masking, etc). Does Stewart have a remote option (IR or RF) that permits use of a universal remote such as the Logitech Harmony One?

Hi, I am able to answer both your questions. Recently I had to replace my Stewart Firehawk due to problems that is claimed that were caused by no fully depoying my custom masking length. So yes try to get exactly the ammount of masking that is appropriate for your installation. I also utilise a logitech harmony remote to deploy my screen.

Hope I helped
totopsgr is offline  
post #1427 of 1935 Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
curtishd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone have the 5D screen and care to post a pic or two with a review?
curtishd is offline  
post #1428 of 1935 Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rovingtravler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Anyone have the 5D screen and care to post a pic or two with a review?

I do not own a 5D but have seen it 3 times for a total of about 2 hours.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
rovingtravler is offline  
post #1429 of 1935 Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Member
 
chrisb42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use the Sony HW30 with an older Firewhawk screen. It looks great in 2D, but in 3D I get color shifts when looking through the (active) glasses: green to the left side, red to the right side.

Is that due to the screen material, or is there something I can tweak?

And generally asking (we have the Luxus A Electriscreen): is it at all possible to update the screen material, or does updating require a completely new screen?

Thanks,

-Christian
chrisb42 is offline  
post #1430 of 1935 Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Member
 
jacked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Folks,

I have ordered a change of screen material for my Stewart fixed frame. This was paid for on Nov 16th last year and I still haven`t received it !

My screen is a 117" 2.40:1 with the Firehawk G3 material and I wanted to change to the Studiotek 130 material instead, so I was referred to Integrity Home Theater who has ordered this new material from Stewart and they processed the credit card payment on Nov 16th 2011.

For whatever reason there has been delays, endless delays !
As I don`t think they`re in the office on a daily basis, it`s been very frustrating getting replies to my emails from Integrity. I contacted Stewart directly and their reply on March 27th said that this order had been updated in the Stewart Filmscreen System and for me to contact Integrity Home Theater for the latest information and completion date.

I received an email from Integrity on May 1st to say they had got my screen material from Stewart. I was told it would be shipped to me on Friday 11th, which never happened. Then I was told it would be shipped on Friday 18th - and although this is being sent overseas I don`t know if Integrity have shipped it or not because I`ve not received any shipping information and they haven`t replied to my emails - as yet.

It is now over 3 weeks since I was told the screen material had arrived at the dealers and over 6 months since I paid my money and placed the order, I think this is totally unacceptable and very poor customer service.

All I want is proper confirmation that my screen is on its way to me but it`s got to the stage where if this order still hasn`t been shipped I will be seeking legal advice, contacting my credit card company to start claiming a refund and complaining to Stewart Filmscreen directly.

If I knew for definite it was on its way there wouldn`t be a problem but this has gone on far too long now.

I would really welcome any suggestions / comments on how I can resolve this or does anyone have any contacts at Stewart Filmscreen that can intervene on my behalf and apply some pressure.
The serial number for my screen for reference is T0904560.

Thanks very much guys.

Dave
jacked is offline  
post #1431 of 1935 Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rovingtravler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacked View Post

Hello Folks,

I have ordered a change of screen material for my Stewart fixed frame. This was paid for on Nov 16th last year and I still haven`t received it !

My screen is a 117" 2.40:1 with the Firehawk G3 material and I wanted to change to the Studiotek 130 material instead, so I was referred to Integrity Home Theater who has ordered this new material from Stewart and they processed the credit card payment on Nov 16th 2011.

For whatever reason there has been delays, endless delays !
As I don`t think they`re in the office on a daily basis, it`s been very frustrating getting replies to my emails from Integrity. I contacted Stewart directly and their reply on March 27th said that this order had been updated in the Stewart Filmscreen System and for me to contact Integrity Home Theater for the latest information and completion date.

I received an email from Integrity on May 1st to say they had got my screen material from Stewart. I was told it would be shipped to me on Friday 11th, which never happened. Then I was told it would be shipped on Friday 18th - and although this is being sent overseas I don`t know if Integrity have shipped it or not because I`ve not received any shipping information and they haven`t replied to my emails - as yet.

It is now over 3 weeks since I was told the screen material had arrived at the dealers and over 6 months since I paid my money and placed the order, I think this is totally unacceptable and very poor customer service.

All I want is proper confirmation that my screen is on its way to me but it`s got to the stage where if this order still hasn`t been shipped I will be seeking legal advice, contacting my credit card company to start claiming a refund and complaining to Stewart Filmscreen directly.

If I knew for definite it was on its way there wouldn`t be a problem but this has gone on far too long now.

I would really welcome any suggestions / comments on how I can resolve this or does anyone have any contacts at Stewart Filmscreen that can intervene on my behalf and apply some pressure.
The serial number for my screen for reference is T0904560.

Thanks very much guys.

Dave


I sent you a PM with a member who is very high up Stewart and helped me resolve an issue in 4 days!

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
rovingtravler is offline  
post #1432 of 1935 Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Member
 
jacked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks very much David, PM replied to.

Kind Regards,
Dave
jacked is offline  
post #1433 of 1935 Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb42 View Post

I use the Sony HW30 with an older Firewhawk screen. It looks great in 2D, but in 3D I get color shifts when looking through the (active) glasses: green to the left side, red to the right side.

Is that due to the screen material, or is there something I can tweak?

And generally asking (we have the Luxus A Electriscreen): is it at all possible to update the screen material, or does updating require a completely new screen?

Thanks,

-Christian

You can replace the fabric. You just need to provide the serial number of your screen. Shoot us an email if we can help you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1434 of 1935 Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 PM
 
Jimbo85281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what just material replacement would be for a 123" sst firehawk or greyhawk? I have the snap on screen material. My local vendor is no help at all unfortunately and Stewart won't quote directly. Thanks
Jimbo85281 is offline  
post #1435 of 1935 Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 View Post

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what just material replacement would be for a 123" sst firehawk or greyhawk? I have the snap on screen material. My local vendor is no help at all unfortunately and Stewart won't quote directly. Thanks

Shoot us your screen model and serial number and we can help you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1436 of 1935 Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
breadvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could anyone remind me how the tab tension on a Stewart Luxus A electric screen is adjusted? Haven't done that in ages, one thing though is the housing is hidden in the ceiling so would be very hard to adjust from that side. Thanks.

breadvan is offline  
post #1437 of 1935 Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
m Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If the side cords are too tight, you may get diagonal wrinkling in the lower corners. If the side cords are too loose, you might see vertical undulation in the fabric.

Most of the time the screen material elongates a little bit, the side cords don't stretch as much, and it's good to lengthen the side cords, using the adjustable thimbles on the batten ends. From underneath, you insert a philips #2 screwdriver, turning the screw as if to loosen, will lengthen the side cord. Good luck with it!

Mark Robinson
Vice President of Technology
Stewart Filmscreen

m Robinson is offline  
post #1438 of 1935 Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Member
 
wasteofmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found this ad below on craigslist. He can do for $600. It has the older StudioTek 130 screen material and not the newer G3. Also has the ElectriMask features to change aspect ratio. Don't really know if I need all that with 1080p, blu-ray, etc.....

What do you guys think? I think it's a Luxus Deluxe by looking at the model#. He sais the Studiotek 130 screen material is mint. Does this stuff last long? Im worried this thing might need expensive motors and new screen material soon.


Stewart Filmscreen Corporation Theater Screen
Screen Material Studio Tek 130
Model Number 100h(which means 100 inch )

Studio quality theater screen for projection set up for a home theater. this screen is huge. has side curtains which are runned electricly to suit all video ratio aspect.
wasteofmoney is offline  
post #1439 of 1935 Old 06-08-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteofmoney View Post

Found this ad below on craigslist. He can do for $600. It has the older StudioTek 130 screen material and not the newer G3. Also has the ElectriMask features to change aspect ratio. Don't really know if I need all that with 1080p, blu-ray, etc.....
What do you guys think? I think it's a Luxus Deluxe by looking at the model#. He sais the Studiotek 130 screen material is mint. Does this stuff last long? Im worried this thing might need expensive motors and new screen material soon.
Stewart Filmscreen Corporation Theater Screen
Screen Material Studio Tek 130
Model Number 100h(which means 100 inch )
Studio quality theater screen for projection set up for a home theater. this screen is huge. has side curtains which are runned electricly to suit all video ratio aspect.

Did you ask the aspect ratio? Depending on age, it could be one of the older 4:3 screens.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1440 of 1935 Old 06-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Member
 
wasteofmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Did you ask the aspect ratio? Depending on age, it could be one of the older 4:3 screens.

Here is a picture. I'm no expert but it appears rectangular, so I assume 16:9

159
wasteofmoney is offline  
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off