Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1831 of 1924 Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
awesome, thanks for the great info.

last question is with regards to the vertical alignment of the projector and the screen. I think I read earlier in this thread that the screen must not be placed lower than the projector and to avoid using vertical lens shift?

My projector would be mounted directly to the ceiling, so the lens is probably 6" from the ceiling. I was hoping to place the screen 18" down from the ceiling otherwise the screen is too high to watch comfortably. Ceilings are 9 ft high and viewing distance about 11-12 ft.

Will that cause the picture quality to go down? Should I buy a 12" extension column for the mount so that the top of the pj aligns with the top of the screen?

thanks again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1924 Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshawn View Post

awesome, thanks for the great info.

last question is with regards to the vertical alignment of the projector and the screen. I think I read earlier in this thread that the screen must not be placed lower than the projector and to avoid using vertical lens shift?

My projector would be mounted directly to the ceiling, so the lens is probably 6" from the ceiling. I was hoping to place the screen 18" down from the ceiling otherwise the screen is too high to watch comfortably. Ceilings are 9 ft high and viewing distance about 11-12 ft.

Will that cause the picture quality to go down? Should I buy a 12" extension column for the mount so that the top of the pj aligns with the top of the screen?

thanks again!!!

Yup, get the extension.
post #1833 of 1924 Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Anyone using a Stewart screen with UltraMatte 150 and Microperf X2 material. If so, how do you like it? What size is your screen? Using a UHD (4K) projector?
post #1834 of 1924 Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Anyone using a Stewart screen with UltraMatte 150 and Microperf X2 material. If so, how do you like it? What size is your screen? Using a UHD (4K) projector?

Have a UM150 fixed 120" diag screen.
Not perf'd.
No 4k.
Great screen and wonderful image quality! Here's some snapshots from a old masters golf telecast.

post #1835 of 1924 Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
U
Quote:

Utramatte is a great material.

I'd still be using it instead of having mine listed for sale -- but at my viewing distance, 9ft, perfs were not an option. I needed a weave.

What is your distance? I assume you have a large screen because you want a positive gain material. And a large scream probably means a long seating distance? Many people report perfs disappear at about twenty feet.

post #1836 of 1924 Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

What is your distance? I assume you have a large screen because you want a positive gain material. And a large scream probably means a long seating distance? Many people report perfs disappear at about twenty feet.

Screen size will be 52 x 122 inches (2.35 ratio), masked to 52 x 92 for 1.78 ratio viewing. Seating distance is 15.5 feet. I intend to purchase a Sony VPL-VW600ES 4k projector. The 1.5 gain should help the brightness when using in 3D mode and may allow the use of low lamp in 2D mode.

I can not find a weave screen with a gain above 1.1. Some people are perfectly content to have the front speakers on a different horizontal plane but it does not work for me, so I must use a acoustically transparent screen.

Currently I have a Da-Lite screen with Audio Vision perf, I can see the perf under certain conditions at my seating distance, vision is 20-13 L & 20-15 R. The Audio Vision perf size is larger than Stewart Micro perf. The Stewart Micro perf size (.020") is < 1 pixel width (.024") of a UHD image projected at my desired size.

I would like the Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.3 screen material with perforations but they have no plans to offer it with perfs, it is available in 1.1 gain.
post #1837 of 1924 Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Screen size will be 52 x 122 inches (2.35 ratio), masked to 52 x 92 for 1.78 ratio viewing. Seating distance is 15.5 feet. I intend to purchase a Sony VPL-VW600ES 4k projector. The 1.5 gain should help the brightness when using in 3D mode and may allow the use of low lamp in 2D mode.

I can not find a weave screen with a gain above 1.1. Some people are perfectly content to have the front speakers on a different horizontal plane but it does not work for me, so I must use a acoustically transparent screen.

Currently I have a Da-Lite screen with Audio Vision perf, I can see the perf under certain conditions at my seating distance, vision is 20-13 L & 20-15 R. The Audio Vision perf size is larger than Stewart Micro perf. The Stewart Micro perf size (.020") is < 1 pixel width (.024") of a UHD image projected at my desired size.

I would like the Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.3 screen material with perforations but they have no plans to offer it with perfs, it is available in 1.1 gain.

Your distance is much more optimum than mine.

I'd still be tempted to buy more lumens and go with a weave but at that distance you could definitely go either way.

post #1838 of 1924 Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

U
Utramatte is a great material.

I'd still be using it instead of having mine listed for sale -- but at my viewing distance, 9ft, perfs were not an option. I needed a weave.

20 feet? I wish I had their eye-sight! smile.gif

I have a micro-perf screen and I cannot see the perfs at all from my closest 11.5 ft viewing distance.
post #1839 of 1924 Old 03-12-2014, 03:46 PM

I will post this in the JVC X700 thread, but wanted to post here as well.

I am buying the X700 and was ready to go for the StudioTek 130 to go with it, but now Stewart is recommending the Firehawk G4 (to my dealer for me) and I have no idea why, not getting any feedback.

JVC X700
13.5-14' throw
12-13 seating distance
106" x 53" CIA screen
light controlled room

I was under the impression that the G4 was for rooms with ambient light.

Any thoughts appreciated.
post #1840 of 1924 Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post

I will post this in the JVC X700 thread, but wanted to post here as well.

I am buying the X700 and was ready to go for the StudioTek 130 to go with it, but now Stewart is recommending the Firehawk G4 (to my dealer for me) and I have no idea why, not getting any feedback.

JVC X700
13.5-14' throw
12-13 seating distance
106" x 53" CIA screen
light controlled room

I was under the impression that the G4 was for rooms with ambient light.

Any thoughts appreciated.

True. Ambient light and G4 go together best. Seems like a light controlled room would be ideal with a St130. That x700 has 1300 ANSI lumens too. (Deleted mis-information. Thx AVS.)

Anyone else here have a similar (lumens) projector and lighting/room conditions?? What's your screen?
post #1841 of 1924 Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If by 'light controlled' you mean black ceiling and dark walls and floor and no windows, it's hard to believe the firehawk is necessary. I had one in a room with a white ceiling and it really helped.

But in my current bat cave, it would be silly and not look as good as the studiotek.

If by 'light controlled' you mean you have drapes over the windows and can turn off the lights, but the room is not painted very dark, I can understand their recommendation. I wouldn't want to use my white screen in such a room.

More important, you are paying a few thousand bucks to the dealer, they should be able to satisfactorily explain their recommendations....or you should consider patronizing someone who does...

To answer your question: Until two weeks ago I was using a ten foot wide ultramatte 200 with a slightly longer throw and a JVC in a bat cave and it worked very well. I hate to be selling it, in fact, but I am going with an AT weave.

And don't worry about black levels. That's what the iris is for.

post #1842 of 1924 Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 PM

It's a cave, no windows, black velvet screen wall, etc. I ordered the StudioTek, thanks for your thoughts nathan_h and Stan-Lee.
post #1843 of 1924 Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan-Lee View Post

True. Ambient light and G4 go together best. Seems like a light controlled room would be ideal with a St130. That x700 has 1300 ANSI lumens too. They're probably worried about your black levels and hotspotting with a semi short throw.

Anyone else here have a similar (lumens) projector and lighting/room conditions?? What's your screen?

That can't be it. The throw ratio for the G4 is 1.5. The throw ratio for the ST130 is 1.3. So short throw with the G4 is worse. A G4 is a high gain screen, even though it is only 1.1 gain, because it is starting with a base around 0.6 and the optical coatings make it 1.1. That is a huge percentage increase. Much larger than the 30% gain with an ST130.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1844 of 1924 Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. Guitar View Post

Here are a couple more pictures by request of the G4 material with full sunlight in the side window and can lights full up... Taken with an iPhone

Impressive IMHO.

I'm going to have pretty much the same setup as you. Thanks for posting photos.

It will be a Sony VPL-VW600ES projector mounted with a 1.4 throw distance in a room with a 110" fixed frame screen and about 1/2 the ambient light you have in the photo above (which is the worst case scenario during the day). I have also installed directional can lights that wash the wall and do not hit the screen at all for night viewing. Ceiling is bone white, walls are a medium tan color.

I was pretty much set on a Stewart FireHawk G4, but wondering if one of Stewart's other two gray screens would be a better choice for less sparkling and unevenness off axis than the G4, given I don't have as much ambient light.

Would a GreyHawk RS G3 be a good choice in this situation (some ambient daylight from the side) or even the Cima Tiburon which is gray, with lower gain, less screen sparkling, and higher viewing angle?
post #1845 of 1924 Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
No, neither are designed for ambient. The GH in particular will wash, badly.
post #1846 of 1924 Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MS View Post

I'm going to have pretty much the same setup as you. Thanks for posting photos.

It will be a Sony VPL-VW600ES projector mounted with a 1.4 throw distance in a room with a 110" fixed frame screen and about 1/2 the ambient light you have in the photo above (which is the worst case scenario during the day). I have also installed directional can lights that wash the wall and do not hit the screen at all for night viewing. Ceiling is bone white, walls are a medium tan color.

I was pretty much set on a Stewart FireHawk G4, but wondering if one of Stewart's other two gray screens would be a better choice for less sparkling and unevenness off axis than the G4, given I don't have as much ambient light.

Would a GreyHawk RS G3 be a good choice in this situation (some ambient daylight from the side) or even the Cima Tiburon which is gray, with lower gain, less screen sparkling, and higher viewing angle?

Without light control (ie, light walls, let alone windows etc) you want more gain/narrower viewing cone -- to reject as much of the room light as possible. Firehawk is usually the best bet. You could try something like the Ultramatte 200, but I've had both and in a room like yours, I prefer the FIrehawk. (Actually in a room like yours, these days, I prefer a large direct view set, but that is a whole different topic!)

post #1847 of 1924 Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 AM

Liked: 16
All I can say is, after two months I still Iove my FH... The small amount of sparkle I notice during the brightest white scenes are a small trade off for the wonderful image it reflects with lights on or off. I have no regrets at all. Haven't seen the other material so can't comment on the differences.

FWIW- I believe the FH G4 has very good off axis viewing to beyond 30 degrees. IMHO
post #1848 of 1924 Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After getting samples of the Stewart Firehawk G4, Stewart Cima Tiburon & Screen Innovations Slate, I went with the Cima Tiburon. My room has pretty decent light control but does have a light colored ceiling. Screen is on the smallish size, though: 100" diagonal. I realize it won't have the ambient light rejection of the G4 or Slate, but by far it had the most uniform, smooth surface.

Going into the selection process, I already knew what I didn't want: Sparkles, grain or anything showing up in large light colored areas of the picture. My previous screen, a Da-lite Cinema Vision had this in spades - and it drove me crazy!!

The funny thing is when looking at the samples: although the gain of the Tiburon is rated at .95, and the G4 at 1.1 and the Slate at 1.2 - the Tiburon looked brighter than both of them. I'll report on it when I put it up in about a week or so. Cine4home had a really great review of the Cima Tiburon on their site.
post #1849 of 1924 Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be going with the Firehawk G4. It would be nice if they made a lower gain version with less sparkles.

Is the cost for custom sizes (like 115", 16:9) that much more than the standard sizes (like 110" 16:9)?
post #1850 of 1924 Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

After getting samples of the Stewart Firehawk G4, Stewart Cima Tiburon & Screen Innovations Slate, I went with the Cima Tiburon. My room has pretty decent light control but does have a light colored ceiling. Screen is on the smallish size, though: 100" diagonal. I realize it won't have the ambient light rejection of the G4 or Slate, but by far it had the most uniform, smooth surface.

Going into the selection process, I already knew what I didn't want: Sparkles, grain or anything showing up in large light colored areas of the picture. My previous screen, a Da-lite Cinema Vision had this in spades - and it drove me crazy!!

The funny thing is when looking at the samples: although the gain of the Tiburon is rated at .95, and the G4 at 1.1 and the Slate at 1.2 - the Tiburon looked brighter than both of them. I'll report on it when I put it up in about a week or so. Cine4home had a really great review of the Cima Tiburon on their site.

I'd like to hear more about the Tiburon. I realize it doesn't have the light rejection of the FH G4, but perhaps it's a compromise between a FH G4 and a ST 130 in a room with some ambient light that can be controlled. How were the sparkles with the Cima Tiburon vs. the FH G4?

Here's a photo of the Cima Tiburon in action in the review:

post #1851 of 1924 Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'd like to hear more about the Tiburon. I realize it doesn't have the light rejection of the FH G4, but perhaps it's a compromise between a GH G4 and a ST 130 in a room with some ambient light that can be controlled. How were the sparkles with the Cima Tiburon vs. the FH G4?

Here's a photo of the Cima Tiburon in action in the review:

On the samples of the Tiburon & G4 I had (about 8" x 10"), as far as the sparkles it was no contest - They were basically non existent on the Tiburon, and I could easily see them on the Firehawk G4. After living with my Da-Lite Cinema Vision, I knew I didn't want a screen like that. But the G4 is MUCH darker than the Tiburon, and I'm sure it's much better at handling ambient light. What I'm surprised at is even though the gain on the Tiburon is lower than the G4 (.95 vs. 1.1) the Tiburon looked brighter to me. I should put mine up in about a week or so - can't wait!
post #1852 of 1924 Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be going with the Firehawk G4. It would be nice if they made a lower gain version with less sparkles.

Is the cost for custom sizes (like 115", 16:9) that much more than the standard sizes (like 110" 16:9)?

Not a big difference in price, since Stewart custom builds each screen in the regular line. Part of the savings, when going to the Cima line is the lack of customization. If we can help you, give us a call. My signature just lists a small portion of the companies we carry.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1853 of 1924 Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM

Can I please get pricing on the Cima 110" Neve and also the 110" Luxus Deluxe with studiotek130?
post #1854 of 1924 Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle011 View Post

Can I please get pricing on the Cima 110" Neve and also the 110" Luxus Deluxe with studiotek130?

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

post #1855 of 1924 Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Anyone has a 128" or 138", 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, Luxus Screenwall or Luxus Deluxe Screenwall with Firehawk G3 surface?
I would see photos of this screen and to share impressions.

JVC | STEWART | PRISMASONIC | ROTEL | JAMO | JBL | MINIDSP | X-RITE
post #1856 of 1924 Old 04-30-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gn0m4 View Post

Anyone has a 128" or 138", 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, Luxus Screenwall or Luxus Deluxe Screenwall with Firehawk G3 surface?
I would see photos of this screen and to share impressions.

Anyone?

JVC | STEWART | PRISMASONIC | ROTEL | JAMO | JBL | MINIDSP | X-RITE
post #1857 of 1924 Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 AM

Liked: 13

Stewart Luxus 128" FH G-3
GetGray and Gn0m4 like this.
post #1858 of 1924 Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Nice room there ! I like the ceiling color.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1859 of 1924 Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM

Thanks Craig,
It's called Midnight Sky(Behr or Benjamin Moore paint).
It's a drop ceiling and I primed (grey)and painted the tiles plus the grid.
The wifey liked this house so we bought it,the room is 12 x19 x7,wish she was a tad bigger,but I'm not buying another house just for theatre:eek:.
Actually all those Gik panels I sold and went with RT traps.
Seems before when I had 244's at my reflections and then tried RT's HF Mondos there was a huge improvement,so I'm finishing off the room with Real Traps.
post #1860 of 1924 Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 AM

Craig just seen your HT picts,now were talkin,now that's a ROOM,very nice indeed.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page