The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1861 of 1924 Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Thanks. My room has it's own compromises, but having two electric Stewart screens isn't one of them. I love both my StudioTek 130 G3 and my Cima Neve !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1862 of 1924 Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Member
 
dan30306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just ordered a G4 with Sabre frame 120".... can't wait to see it. biggrin.gif
J.T. Guitar likes this.
dan30306 is offline  
post #1863 of 1924 Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gn0m4 View Post

Anyone has a 128" or 138", 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, Luxus Screenwall or Luxus Deluxe Screenwall with Firehawk G3 surface?
I would see photos of this screen and to share impressions.

I have a 120" diag G3 FireHawk and I LOVE it. Don't want to change it. Results are stellar and it is a 2007 screen!!
Gn0m4 likes this.
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1864 of 1924 Old 05-02-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tnedator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Whats the story on Studiotek 130 G3 and 4k? In the near future I will be installing one of these, but Stewart doesn't list this as one of their 4k ready screen materials. It will be a perfed screen.
Tnedator is online now  
post #1865 of 1924 Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post

Whats the story on Studiotek 130 G3 and 4k? In the near future I will be installing one of these, but Stewart doesn't list this as one of their 4k ready screen materials. It will be a perfed screen.

I asked a salesman there and he said all Stewart screens are considered 4K ready. It just isn't specified on the website.
J.T. Guitar likes this.
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1866 of 1924 Old 05-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Member
 
BillY2KFRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am planning to do a combo flat screen/drop down electric projection screen setup in my living room when I move next month. I will be wall mounting my Elite 70" (which I love) and having a 120-130" screen (need to measure everything after I move in) drop down in front of it. I am planning to go with a JVC RS49 projector. I used to have an RS1 years ago and loved that, so figure the 49 will be amazing for me. I'll post a picture of the living room from the MLS site below. I will have different furniture, plan to keep the light colored back wall, but the side walls and ceiling are nice and dark due to the log construction. They also have wooden blinds and dark, thick curtains for the slider to the deck on the other side of the kitchen you cannot see in the pic. This is the main reason I decided to go this route rather than finishing the basement and making a dedicated space. But, I watch mostly during the day, so I will still have some ambient light to deal with I'm sure.

Here is my question, from looking at my room, during the day, do I need something like a G4? Or could I get away with something more conventional? Can anybody compare the sparkles on the G4 to a Mitsubishi rear projection set? I had a 75" Laservue and COUNT NOT STAND the sparkles, they were the main reason I sold it for the Elite. So if white scenes look anything like that I will need to look for other options. Projector will be mounted about 20-25' away from the screen and just above eye level, if that matters.



Any suggestions are much appreciated!!! Thank you!
BillY2KFRC is offline  
post #1867 of 1924 Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Member
 
hwoarang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


I've barely had the G4 for a few months, and not used it all that much. When I received it, I mentioned to Stewart that the ride side retracted higher than the left. I was told that was acceptable (?!). I didn't think that was reasonable for a $5k screen. I let it be as I just didn't have any more energy left. Now it's already rippling up on that side. How can they charge this much and have these issues so soon? That on top of major sparkles which again I was told I have to accept...
hwoarang is offline  
post #1868 of 1924 Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post



I've barely had the G4 for a few months, and not used it all that much. When I received it, I mentioned to Stewart that the ride side retracted higher than the left. I was told that was acceptable (?!). I didn't think that was reasonable for a $5k screen. I let it be as I just didn't have any more energy left. Now it's already rippling up on that side. How can they charge this much and have these issues so soon? That on top of major sparkles which again I was told I have to accept...
Did anyone at Stewart see the picture you just posted? Those are fairly serious ripples. I can't believe a top company like Stewart would not try to make it right.
ben38 is online now  
post #1869 of 1924 Old 05-15-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
GetGray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-South USA
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post

I've barely had the G4 for a few months, and not used it all that much. When I received it, I mentioned to Stewart that the ride side retracted higher than the left. I was told that was acceptable (?!). I didn't think that was reasonable for a $5k screen. I let it be as I just didn't have any more energy left. Now it's already rippling up on that side. How can they charge this much and have these issues so soon? That on top of major sparkles which again I was told I have to accept...
Why are you working with Stewart directly? Why isn't your dealer handling this? They should be. I would have.
GetGray is offline  
post #1870 of 1924 Old 05-15-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post

Whats the story on Studiotek 130 G3 and 4k? In the near future I will be installing one of these, but Stewart doesn't list this as one of their 4k ready screen materials. It will be a perfed screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan-Lee View Post

I asked a salesman there and he said all Stewart screens are considered 4K ready. It just isn't specified on the website.

Correct

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #1871 of 1924 Old 05-15-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post



I've barely had the G4 for a few months, and not used it all that much. When I received it, I mentioned to Stewart that the ride side retracted higher than the left. I was told that was acceptable (?!). I didn't think that was reasonable for a $5k screen. I let it be as I just didn't have any more energy left. Now it's already rippling up on that side. How can they charge this much and have these issues so soon? That on top of major sparkles which again I was told I have to accept...

That does not look good. I assume you brought this to your dealers attention? Will your dealer not go to bat for you? As for sparkly, that unfortunately is one of the trade-offs to this high gain screen. Though it is only 1.1 gain, it is still high gain, because it is starting out at around 0.6 gain before optical coatings. It may or may not have been the best choice for your set up. Some dealers just recommend FireHawk and call it a day. mad.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #1872 of 1924 Old 05-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Member
 
hwoarang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Why are you working with Stewart directly? Why isn't your dealer handling this? They should be. I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

That does not look good. I assume you brought this to your dealers attention? Will your dealer not go to bat for you? As for sparkly, that unfortunately is one of the trade-offs to this high gain screen. Though it is only 1.1 gain, it is still high gain, because it is starting out at around 0.6 gain before optical coatings. It may or may not have been the best choice for your set up. Some dealers just recommend FireHawk and call it a day. mad.gif

My guy is in NJ and I did a self install with the paid help of a local installer from yelp. I would have to pay him to come out again. I haven't told my dealer yet as this has been getting progressively worse more recently. I did mention the retractable issue earlier but was told by a Stewart Tech that, that was acceptable. Obviously it's not as its affecting the physics of the screen. There is also a roller line going across the screen when it's down too. I'm convinced this screen is a dud. I just have no way to get this thing back to them as I'm on the top floor in a loft, with a small elevator, and this thing is installed high up, just below the exposed beams of the ceiling. Just a ton of hassle, and why should I have to pay for the work to have a new one installed....
hwoarang is offline  
post #1873 of 1924 Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
GetGray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-South USA
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I install screens and I warrant the installation. And I charge retail prices for same. I also sell them as cheap as anyone else to compete with internet resellers, but only if I'm confident the customer understands the risks associated with a self install, particularly without the same experience that I or my installers have. Especially with a motorized screen. If I installed it, I'd be going back and fixing it. If the customer installed it, I'd still get it worked out for them, but the labor and work of the repalcement is on them. There are only a few things that can screw one up, but it can be done. In my experience its the most solid product out there, in every way. I've only had a couple of issues over the years that I've sold them, self installed or by me, and Stewart took care of the issue every time. But it was the dealers (my) responsibility to work out the logistics (which would include a remove and replace). You really need to have your dealer engage Stewart. I've never had anyone at Stewart tell me a screen coming down crooked was OK, either. Your dealer should be able to work it out for you. Sorry you are having trouble with yours.
Stan-Lee and hwoarang like this.
GetGray is offline  
post #1874 of 1924 Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Member
 
hwoarang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I install screens and I warrant the installation. And I charge retail prices for same. I also sell them as cheap as anyone else to compete with internet resellers, but only if I'm confident the customer understands the risks associated with a self install, particularly without the same experience that I or my installers have. Especially with a motorized screen. If I installed it, I'd be going back and fixing it. If the customer installed it, I'd still get it worked out for them, but the labor and work of the repalcement is on them. There are only a few things that can screw one up, but it can be done. In my experience its the most solid product out there, in every way. I've only had a couple of issues over the years that I've sold them, self installed or by me, and Stewart took care of the issue every time. But it was the dealers (my) responsibility to work out the logistics (which would include a remove and replace). You really need to have your dealer engage Stewart. I've never had anyone at Stewart tell me a screen coming down crooked was OK, either. Your dealer should be able to work it out for you. Sorry you are having trouble with yours.

Thanks for the support and feedback. I don't see how the product failing is the responsibility of the installer. I definitely believe this should be handled by Stewart. I'm going to put a message together for my dealer in Nj and request a service call from Stewart. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
hwoarang is offline  
post #1875 of 1924 Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Newbie
 
drlopezmdfacp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Trying to get educated on screens and projectors as I am a first time buyer.  Was hoping to get a really good screen for under $2000.  Initial budget came back with this, Stewart Filmscreen CAB100HFHG4MG-4-2-5 100" Motorized, perforated 16x9 screen with a sleek housing designed to blend into interiors. $7,715.00".  Can anyone tell me if this makes sense?  Labor is extra.

drlopezmdfacp is offline  
post #1876 of 1924 Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
GetGray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-South USA
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlopezmdfacp View Post

Trying to get educated on screens and projectors as I am a first time buyer.  Was hoping to get a really good screen for under $2000.  Initial budget came back with this, Stewart Filmscreen CAB100HFHG4MG-4-2-5 100" Motorized, perforated 16x9 screen with a sleek housing designed to blend into interiors. $7,715.00".  Can anyone tell me if this makes sense?  Labor is extra.
DOn't know your requirements (apologies if posted recently and I missed). You have about every feature box there is checked though. That's a nice screen. Won't be $2k.
GetGray is offline  
post #1877 of 1924 Old 05-27-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlopezmdfacp View Post

Trying to get educated on screens and projectors as I am a first time buyer.  Was hoping to get a really good screen for under $2000.  Initial budget came back with this, Stewart Filmscreen CAB100HFHG4MG-4-2-5 100" Motorized, perforated 16x9 screen with a sleek housing designed to blend into interiors. $7,715.00".  Can anyone tell me if this makes sense?  Labor is extra.

That's a high priced screen for a first time buyer. Give us a call at A V Science and maybe we can help. I was once a first time buyer too. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1878 of 1924 Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 AM
Member
 
jimmy12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Im interested in the firehawk g4 material, but cant seem to find consistency in terms of pj mounting location requirements.

The throw distance minimum of 1.5xscreen width is clear to reduce hotspotting, but what impact on gain and image uniformity does mounting the pj on the ceiling 2ft above the top of the g4 material have? I am sure that theoreticaly a perfectly centered lens on the screen will give the best image possible, but how much are you losing if you have to ceiling mount (only in terms of screen performance, I am aware of the impacts lens shift can have on pj sharpness)?

My hope is the impact is negligible, given that it seems like the g4 material is best at rejecting incident light from the side and not from the the top/bottom.

And thanks to everyone for all the pics and discussion of the good off axis performance of this material. The narrower viewing cone on this type of screen was a concern, but it seems like the consensus is there is little observable difference within reason. Hotspotting was another concern which seems negligible, leaving only texture and sparkles/shimmer which seem to be pretty minor and a good tradeoff for a better image during the day with a side window and lights on.
jimmy12 is offline  
post #1879 of 1924 Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Scott MS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here's my experience on Stewart screen selection. I have a room that has decent light control, but it is painted a medium brown with bone white ceiling. It is not a bat cave, but it is not a white room either. I have shutters on one side of the room that I can partially close and block out most of the light during the daytime. I consider myself to be a videophile who can usually quickly spot clouding, unevenness, hotspotting, poor color temp, etc. on TVs and other video devices.

I was choosing between a Firehawk, GrayHawk, and Cima Tiburon screen. I ended up purchasing a 118" Firehawk and a Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, which has good brightness. Stewart mistakenly shipped me the wrong screen, which was a GrayHawk. I didn't realize this until I was putting it together. At one point I had both a full size 118" Firehawk and 100" Grayhawk screen in my possession, at the same time, for comparison. I actually preferred the GrayHawk over the FireHawk. The blacks were blacker in the daylight with the Firehawk, but the Grayhawk had better whites, less screen sparkling texture, and better colors -- at the expense of some brightness. In the end, I purchased a Cima Tiburon and I love it. Both my dealer and Stewart sales rep tried to tell me that the premier line of screens (non-Cima) would be better and I was taking a step back in performance. To me, the Cima had the most even screen, least amount of sparkles, and some ambient light rejection. In the end, I am willing to make room accomodations to improve the picture rather than buy a "Band-Aid" screen.

Here's my opinions on each of these screens:

Firehawk G4 -- Amazing black levels and good color saturation in ambient light. I liked this screen, but it performs poorly on whites. I found that white scenes were slightly blue in tint and had a visible sparkle texture, kind of like the old silkscreen effect. This effect is not visible with darker colors. I also did not care for the hotspotting and poor viewing cone. I had the projector at 1.5x the screen width. In general, a good screen but with compromises.

GrayHawk -- The lighter and more neutral color of the grayhawk screen material (less blue and more gray) resulted in better whites at the compromise of some brightness. I also felt the sparkles were much less, but still visible. On the screen I had, the sparkles were unevenly applied. I saw some vertical sections on the screen where the sparkles were more intense. Sparkles were visible when panning across an ice hockey game, which was extremely annoying.

Cima Tiburon -- The least gray of three screens, limited amount of sparkles, and a 0.95 gain. I felt I had enough light from the VW600ES to light this screen at the expense of some additional washing during the daytime. At night this screen shines because it doesn't do anything to the picture. Some slight sparkling if you look very close at the screen, but the picture is very even, little hotspotting, and nice wide viewing cone. In general, this screen does the best job at preserving the fantastic image that is projected from the VW600ES without adding hotspotting or artificial sparkling.
Scott MS is offline  
post #1880 of 1924 Old 05-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Member
 
jimmy12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Scott MS. I have to admit, I was sold on the Firehawk G4 until seeing your post.

Viewing cone, hotspotting, texture, off-whites, and shimmer/sparklies were of course my concerns when considering an ambient light screen, but most of what I have read from reviews and owner's feedback is that these issues are very minimal and well worth the tradeoff for the solid ambient light performance with the G4 material.

I don't have a lot of flexibility for light control in the room I am working on. And seeing what the wall looked like in the room in the day time viewing conditions showed me what blacks would look like, and it's bad. Having said that though, I know that sparkles and texture would bother me.

I'm setting this room up for someone else and I'm not sure which phone call I'd rather get - hey, this screen has this weird sparkle that I don't like or hey, this screen looks terrible in the day time??? I guess if I get the latter I can at least say, yes, but you save $4k on your screen and it looks better at night?

Any other thoughts on the mounting height of the pj relative to the screen and its impact on the G4's gain/uniformity? Any other thoughts on the G4 material in general? Thanks.
jimmy12 is offline  
post #1881 of 1924 Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I pulled the trigger on the StudioTek 100. My room is a batcave painted with Rosco black velour and carpeted black. I am also going to probably use Protostar around the surrounding walls and ceiling 30" from the screen (this stuff comes 30" wide).

DavidHir is offline  
post #1882 of 1924 Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Member
 
dan30306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have compared them all. Cima Neve, Firehawk G4, Black Diamond, etc. I put them all side by side. Settled on Firehawk G4- couldn't be happier. I even spent double the normal price for a custom frame (Sabre). See thread my thread in this forum about that. My challenges are a lot more demanding than most beyond just ambient light. It really does come down to they are all great screens- its just viewer preference. wink.gif
dan30306 is offline  
post #1883 of 1924 Old 05-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Scott MS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It does come down to viewer preference and no single screen will satisfy all demands. For instance, if you want black blacks with some ambient light, the Firehawk wins hands down. If you can't stand seeing what appears to be screen texture and sparkles (which really is the gain coating on the screen), then some screens with a high gain coating may not be for you.

I also had samples of the Studiotek 130 and Studiotek 100. Both of those screens had the best colors. Nothing beats a white screen. I felt the 130 probably had too much gain for my room and projector. If I had a dark and light controlled room, I would go with the Studiotek 100 and never look back. Both Studioteks washed pretty badly in my room.
Scott MS is offline  
post #1884 of 1924 Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MS View Post

It does come down to viewer preference and no single screen will satisfy all demands. For instance, if you want black blacks with some ambient light, the Firehawk wins hands down. If you can't stand seeing what appears to be screen texture and sparkles (which really is the gain coating on the screen), then some screens with a high gain coating may not be for you.

I also had samples of the Studiotek 130 and Studiotek 100. Both of those screens had the best colors. Nothing beats a white screen. I felt the 130 probably had too much gain for my room and projector. If I had a dark and light controlled room, I would go with the Studiotek 100 and never look back. Both Studioteks washed pretty badly in my room.

I've owned both Firehawk G3, and now a StudioTek 130 G3 ( love it ) and a Cima Neve screen ( love it too ). IMO, your room conditions partially determine which screen will work better. Here's a write up I did some time ago to explain why I switched from the Firehawk to the StudioTek 130 -

" When I first got into home theater over 10 years ago, not only were projectors not that great contrast wise, I also never had a dedicated theater space. It was always a " media room ". Compromises had to be made. The décor wasn't dark, there was occasionally light in the room. The picture suffered. I started using grey screens pretty early on. Overall they just looked better. DLP projectors at least looked like they had better contrast, and what little on / off contrast they had was preserved by the screen, rather than washing out due to reflections from white walls etc. The picture looked pretty good. I was happy.

Then, when I came back to work for AV Science I decided to see what I could do to improve my home theater. I have a dedicated theater, but it was setup more like a media room. My SIM Lumis throws an outstanding picture. Could I make it look even better? I owe a lot of this to Rich Harkness. I read his theater build thread and realized I'd become complacent regarding my theater. Rich explained how and why he had picked the Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen over the Firehawk G3 screen. I was using a Firehawk screen myself. So I got a sample of StudioTek 130 and devised a screen sample holder that would allow me to put the sample in front of my Firehawk. The blacks / contrast on the StudioTek looked terrible compared to my Firehawk. I grabbed a big " police " type flashlight ( lots of D cells - bright ) and stood at the screen. I did the " flashlight test ". Lots of things in the room reflected back onto the screen. First I decided to cover the beige carpet with black carpet rugs from Walmart. That worked well, but the ST 130 still didn't look as good as the FH. Then I had a giant rug made that covered the entire front 2/3's of the theater. Better. Next, I re-painted the ceiling and the side walls darker grey. Now the ST was starting to look as good or better overall than the FH. I then painted the back walls much darker, put a black MDF board in front of the popcorn machines glass case, hung black curtains and Protostar material on part of the back wall, and hung another red velvet curtain over a white closet door. Now the blacks on space movies etc. looked as good on the StudioTek 130 sample as they did on the Firehawk. I then switched screens. I first replaced my 2.35:1 Firehawk with a 2.35:1 StudioTek, and I also replaced my 16:9 High Contrast Cinema Vision screen with a 16:9 Neve 1.1. The Lumis looks totally awesome on these screens ! Making my room décor and walls dark and switching to white screens was one of the best things I've done to improve my picture in my theater "!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1885 of 1924 Old 05-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Scott MS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree that both the room conditions and projector will certainly impact the screen that you select. I found that the Sony VPL-VW600ES provides a great deal of light and I can get away with a lighter colored screen. I have also programmed the Cinema 1 and Cinema 2 picture settings into my home automation controller so that it is automatically set or changed to Cinema 1 during daytime and then Cinema 2 after sundown (will either switch picture mode if the projector is currently on or will turn to the correct picture mode if the projector is powered on.)

So rather than trying to buy a screen that accommodates both daytime and nighttime, I'm changing the projector brightness through automation.
Scott MS is offline  
post #1886 of 1924 Old 05-31-2014, 12:31 PM
TL5
Advanced Member
 
TL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MS View Post

Here's my experience on Stewart screen selection. I have a room that has decent light control, but it is painted a medium brown with bone white ceiling. It is not a bat cave, but it is not a white room either. I have shutters on one side of the room that I can partially close and block out most of the light during the daytime. I consider myself to be a videophile who can usually quickly spot clouding, unevenness, hotspotting, poor color temp, etc. on TVs and other video devices.

I was choosing between a Firehawk, GrayHawk, and Cima Tiburon screen. I ended up purchasing a 118" Firehawk and a Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, which has good brightness. Stewart mistakenly shipped me the wrong screen, which was a GrayHawk. I didn't realize this until I was putting it together. At one point I had both a full size 118" Firehawk and 100" Grayhawk screen in my possession, at the same time, for comparison. I actually preferred the GrayHawk over the FireHawk. The blacks were blacker in the daylight with the Firehawk, but the Grayhawk had better whites, less screen sparkling texture, and better colors -- at the expense of some brightness. In the end, I purchased a Cima Tiburon and I love it. Both my dealer and Stewart sales rep tried to tell me that the premier line of screens (non-Cima) would be better and I was taking a step back in performance. To me, the Cima had the most even screen, least amount of sparkles, and some ambient light rejection. In the end, I am willing to make room accomodations to improve the picture rather than buy a "Band-Aid" screen.

Here's my opinions on each of these screens:

Firehawk G4 -- Amazing black levels and good color saturation in ambient light. I liked this screen, but it performs poorly on whites. I found that white scenes were slightly blue in tint and had a visible sparkle texture, kind of like the old silkscreen effect. This effect is not visible with darker colors. I also did not care for the hotspotting and poor viewing cone. I had the projector at 1.5x the screen width. In general, a good screen but with compromises.

GrayHawk -- The lighter and more neutral color of the grayhawk screen material (less blue and more gray) resulted in better whites at the compromise of some brightness. I also felt the sparkles were much less, but still visible. On the screen I had, the sparkles were unevenly applied. I saw some vertical sections on the screen where the sparkles were more intense. Sparkles were visible when panning across an ice hockey game, which was extremely annoying.

Cima Tiburon -- The least gray of three screens, limited amount of sparkles, and a 0.95 gain. I felt I had enough light from the VW600ES to light this screen at the expense of some additional washing during the daytime. At night this screen shines because it doesn't do anything to the picture. Some slight sparkling if you look very close at the screen, but the picture is very even, little hotspotting, and nice wide viewing cone. In general, this screen does the best job at preserving the fantastic image that is projected from the VW600ES without adding hotspotting or artificial sparkling.

I couldn't agree with you more on the Cima Tiburon. I have a 100" fixed frame Tiburon with a Sony 55ES - what a great combo! I also got screen samples of the Firehawk G4, Grayhawk, as well as the SI Black Diamond 1.4 & Slate. To me the Tiburon had the best combo of attributes that were important to me in my room - some capability with ambient light, a wide viewing area and a minimum of grain & sparkles in light colored screens.
TL5 is offline  
post #1887 of 1924 Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Member
 
J.T. Guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
6 month user of a FH G4... Very pleased. Some noticeable texture on the brightest of scenes, but great ambient light rejection in day and sport watching environments.
J.T. Guitar is offline  
post #1888 of 1924 Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I've joined the Stewart club. My Studiotek 100 should be here in a couple of weeks and Chad B will be here to calibrate my RS4810 to it. Cannot wait. smile.gif
Stan-Lee likes this.

DavidHir is offline  
post #1889 of 1924 Old 06-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
cemo62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I've joined the Stewart club. My Studiotek 100 should be here in a couple of weeks and Chad B will be here to calibrate my RS4810 to it. Cannot wait. smile.gif

dont forget to add comment about it, espeacilly about texture sparklies and vertical lines.

sorry for my english
cemo62 is online now  
post #1890 of 1924 Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

dont forget to add comment about it, espeacilly about texture sparklies and vertical lines.

sorry for my english

No problem and I will definitely post my thoughts. From every credible source, it sounds like this IS the gold standard material for viewing in a batcave.

DavidHir is offline  
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off