The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1891 of 1917 Old 06-10-2014, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What is the minimum viewing distance suggested from a microperf screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1917 Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
I cannot see the perforation at 10 feet but then again, my eyesight is not perfect!
post #1893 of 1917 Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
Pretty sure the MRVD is 10'
post #1894 of 1917 Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM

Liked: 19
Thx Stan-Lee and GetGray, that is what I thought (and my eyes aren't the sharpest either).
post #1895 of 1917 Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Cool

Check this out! Stewart Filmscreen has launched a new website and there is a sweepstake entry at the bottom of the home page for a FREE snapper screen! Pretty cool.
http://stewartfilmscreen.com
post #1896 of 1917 Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan-Lee View Post
Check this out! Stewart Filmscreen has launched a new website and there is a sweepstake entry at the bottom of the home page for a FREE snapper screen! Pretty cool.
http://stewartfilmscreen.com
Wow - great new website! I'll have to poke around it a bit more.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1897 of 1917 Old 06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan-Lee View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Tnedator 

Whats the story on Studiotek 130 G3 and 4k? In the near future I will be installing one of these, but Stewart doesn't list this as one of their 4k ready screen materials. It will be a perfed screen.

I asked a salesman there and he said all Stewart screens are considered 4K ready. It just isn't specified on the website.
Strange, even after their site facelift they don't show Studiotek 130 as a 4k material.
post #1898 of 1917 Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Interesting.... I have a Sabre model and can't find it anywhere on the website. Maybe its exclusive or "limited edition" or something, lol
post #1899 of 1917 Old 06-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Liked: 21
I'm looking to replace my Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4. I blacked out my room and it doesn't look as good. The reason I want a Edgeless screen is because the my room is very narrow and want to maximize my screen as much as possible. I am thinking of going with the Sabre , are there any cons with the a Sabre w/ StudioTek 130/JVC 4810 in a blacked out room?

It is weird that it they don't advertise this screen on there website.
post #1900 of 1917 Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
The one advantage of a regular style frame vs the Sabre is that you can replace the screen surface if it gets damaged - I don't think you can do that with the Sabre.

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #1901 of 1917 Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The one advantage of a regular style frame vs the Sabre is that you can replace the screen surface if it gets damaged - I don't think you can do that with the Sabre.
I sent a question into Stewart last week and haven't heard back. maybe you know.

Can you replace the surface material on the vertical Electrimast screen?

I'm curious both in the case of damage, but also since they don't list the Studiotek 130 G3 as 4K ready (even though I know in this thread it's been stated it is), and then they come out with a similar screen that is better for 4k or 8k down the road, I'm curious if just replacing the surface is possible?
post #1902 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen choice advice

Having moved from my old, much smaller, dedicated HT room (which was a total batcave) to a new place with a much much larger room but with worse light control, I'm after advice on what screen to put up here.

Dimensions are:

Seating distance: 15'5"
Projector distance: 18'7"
Projector height: 8'1"

Projector is a JVC HD950 (RS25 in the US?)

Room is fairly light coloured - side walls floor to ceiling dark red velvet drapes (to cover huge windows), ceiling is light coloured, but 14'9" high. Floor is fairly light too. Seating is about 13' wide in one row (room is 19' ft wide)

I'm not looking to watch with the drapes open, use is going to generally be at night with them closed, but light control won't be perfect from that.

I'm thinking of a 135" diagonal wallmount electric screen.

Given what I've got, I think I'm looking at the Firehawk G4 as being my best choice to deal with the less than ideal light control, and I think I need what help with the gain I can get as my projector is going to be on the dim side with that size screen - I think I just about make 16ftL. I think the viewing angle of the G4 should be ok since I make the viewing angle 35 degrees assuming I'm calculating it right?

Anyone got any comments or suggestions?
post #1903 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You can replace the screen if there is damage- its just going to be expensive. The frame and screen are held together by screws. The best way to explain the screen is that it looks like a really big piece of 1/4 inch thick hard plastic that was dipped in screen material (like latex almost). That piece slides into the frame, and there is another insert in the frame channel that wedges it in. The inner frame channel wedge thing is screwed to the back of the outer frame every 6 inches. There are 4 inner channel pieces that run the entire length of the frame all the way around. Its almost like a frame within the frame. Very well built.
post #1904 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30306 View Post
You can replace the screen if there is damage- its just going to be expensive. The frame and screen are held together by screws. The best way to explain the screen is that it looks like a really big piece of 1/4 inch thick hard plastic that was dipped in screen material (like latex almost). That piece slides into the frame, and there is another insert in the frame channel that wedges it in. The inner frame channel wedge thing is screwed to the back of the outer frame every 6 inches. There are 4 inner channel pieces that run the entire length of the frame all the way around. Its almost like a frame within the frame. Very well built.

Good to know - thanks. I've had folks change the material on their Luxus Deluxe QuickSnap screens ( which is easy ), just never had an occasion to inquire whether it could be done with the Sabre screen. I do like the Sabre screen look!

post #1905 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
I sent a question into Stewart last week and haven't heard back. maybe you know.

Can you replace the surface material on the vertical Electrimast screen?

I'm curious both in the case of damage, but also since they don't list the Studiotek 130 G3 as 4K ready (even though I know in this thread it's been stated it is), and then they come out with a similar screen that is better for 4k or 8k down the road, I'm curious if just replacing the surface is possible?
Yes, the screen is replaceable.
post #1906 of 1917 Old 06-25-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I received my ST100 last Friday and had Chad B out to calibrate my JVC RS4810 to it.

Having only watched a few movies on it so far, if I had to choose one word to describe it: gorgeous.

The image just takes on such a natural, organic look. It takes on a different look compared to the other screens I tried out. It's basically looking at pure image - with nothing annoying such as sparkles, artifacts, etc. The edge to edge brightness of the screen is also very balanced which is nice for off-axis seating.

I went with the Luxus Deluxe fixed frame which was very easy to put together and the fact the bottom of the frame uses magnet pucks behind it to secure it to the wall is a very nice touch and actually improved my image geometry slightly on the bottom compared to the previous Da-Lite I had been using which the bottom hung off the wall just a bit. The frame also looks classy for sure.

Another thing I liked is the lack of odor. I realize all new screens have a chemical-like odor to them. The odor was very slight on the ST100 and almost gone after a few days. The Da-Lite smell was very strong to me and my girlfriend - and even after several weeks it remained strong.

By the way, I am not trying to knock Da-Lite. Their screens were still very impressive and I would recommend them, but I feel like the ST100 is a step above especially for my application.

I was also impressed with how well everything was packed and very secure. The screen also comes in a very strong tube.

pic4.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic1.jpg
All in all, highly recommended. If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask.

I also want to say Mike Garrett of AVS is just great work with!
Stan-Lee likes this.

Last edited by DavidHir; 06-25-2014 at 01:47 PM.
post #1907 of 1917 Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I received my ST100 last Friday and had Chad B out to calibrate my JVC RS4810 to it.

Having only watched a few movies on it so far, if I had to choose one word to describe it: gorgeous.

The image just takes on such a natural, organic look. It takes on a different look compared to the other screens I tried out. It's basically looking at pure image - with nothing annoying such as sparkles, artifacts, etc. The edge to edge brightness of the screen is also very balanced which is nice for off-axis seating.

I went with the Luxus Deluxe fixed frame which was very easy to put together and the fact the bottom of the frame uses magnet pucks behind it to secure it to the wall is a very nice touch and actually improved my image geometry slightly on the bottom compared to the previous Da-Lite I had been using which the bottom hung off the wall just a bit. The frame also looks classy for sure.

Another thing I liked is the lack of odor. I realize all new screens have a chemical-like odor to them. The odor was very slight on the ST100 and almost gone after a few days. The Da-Lite smell was very strong to me and my girlfriend - and even after several weeks it remained strong.

By the way, I am not trying to knock Da-Lite. Their screens were still very impressive and I would recommend them, but I feel like the ST100 is a step above especially for my application.

I was also impressed with how well everything was packed and very secure. The screen also comes in a very strong tube.

Attachment 135305

Attachment 135313

Attachment 135321
All in all, highly recommended. If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask.

I also want to say Mike Garrett of AVS is just great work with!
You are welcome. Also with the addition of the Prostar material, you room looks like a nice place to view a movie.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1908 of 1917 Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 PM

Gents,

I have a StudioTek G130 with Microperf material. When I play a movie, especially on the dark scenes, I can see a ghost image. It bothers me a lot. I look close to the screen and it looks like some light go through the perfs and are projected on the back of my false wall. Is it possible ? Can a black backing cancel this ghost image ? Is Stewart do a black backing for my screen ?

Thanks a lot for your help and input.

Denon AVP-A1HD with 3D upgrade, Denon POA-A1HD, Klipsch THX Ultra 2 7.2 speakers, Oppo BDP-103D, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo DV-983H, Samsung Satellite Receiver, JVC DLA-RS6710, Stewart Screen 16/9 Studiotek 130 G3 100", Mac Mini as a media center, NAS Synology DS 1812+, Drobo Pro 800 storage unit, Sony...
post #1909 of 1917 Old 07-05-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Retractable vs Fixes

I've decided on the Firehawk for my basement. Anyone have experience with Stewart retractable screens? The main reason I'm considering this option is that I have 3 little kids at home. Do the screens develop issues secondary to being retracted more often than deployed for movie/TV watching?
post #1910 of 1917 Old 07-05-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up Retractable Firehawk G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
I've decided on the Firehawk for my basement. Anyone have experience with Stewart retractable screens? The main reason I'm considering this option is that I have 3 little kids at home. Do the screens develop issues secondary to being retracted more often than deployed for movie/TV watching?
I've had a 100" retractable Firehawk G3 since October 2007. This screen has been deployed and retracted almost every day since then and it still performs a well as when it was new. Occasionally a bug (insect) gets caught and squashed during retraction but it is easy to remove with gentile use of a rag and clean water.
Stan-Lee likes this.
post #1911 of 1917 Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM

FIrehawk LS vs Firehawk G4

Hi All,

New poster to forum.

Looking at 120" wide 2.35 screen, and am being told that is Firehawk LS (supposedly the same as G4 but used on larger screens). Can someone tell me if this is correct. I cannot seem to find any info on LS.

Thanks in advance.

Vector
post #1912 of 1917 Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector54 View Post
Hi All,

New poster to forum.

Looking at 120" wide 2.35 screen, and am being told that is Firehawk LS (supposedly the same as G4 but used on larger screens). Can someone tell me if this is correct. I cannot seem to find any info on LS.

Thanks in advance.
Vector
Absolutely 100% correct. LS = Large Screen. G4 is for the smaller sized screens. Sounds like a nice screen! Keep us posted!
post #1913 of 1917 Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Thanks Stan for the quick confirmation!

Still a couple of months away from a completed HT build, but will be using it with a Sony VW600ES. I will report back how they work together.

Regards,
Vector
post #1914 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaleZEN View Post
Gents,

I have a StudioTek G130 with Microperf material. When I play a movie, especially on the dark scenes, I can see a ghost image. It bothers me a lot. I look close to the screen and it looks like some light go through the perfs and are projected on the back of my false wall. Is it possible ? Can a black backing cancel this ghost image ? Is Stewart do a black backing for my screen ?

Thanks a lot for your help and input.
I'm not an expert, but I would think you should try putting a black cloth of some sort behind the screen and see what happens.

Last edited by Stan-Lee; 07-09-2014 at 12:14 PM.
post #1915 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 AM

Stan-Lee,

thanks for the recommendation. As it is an acoustically transparent screen, my speakers are behind the screen and my false wall is totally black. Can I use speaker cloth for this (to keep the sound properties) ? How far from the screen should I put it ? Just at the back of the screen fabric or further ?

Thanks

Denon AVP-A1HD with 3D upgrade, Denon POA-A1HD, Klipsch THX Ultra 2 7.2 speakers, Oppo BDP-103D, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo DV-983H, Samsung Satellite Receiver, JVC DLA-RS6710, Stewart Screen 16/9 Studiotek 130 G3 100", Mac Mini as a media center, NAS Synology DS 1812+, Drobo Pro 800 storage unit, Sony...
post #1916 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaleZEN View Post
Stan-Lee,

thanks for the recommendation. As it is an acoustically transparent screen, my speakers are behind the screen and my false wall is totally black. Can I use speaker cloth for this (to keep the sound properties) ? How far from the screen should I put it ? Just at the back of the screen fabric or further ?

Thanks
Well, like I confessed, I am no expert but I would try a few locations until the right location or answer is figured out. One of them being directly behind the screen for sure.
post #1917 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector54 View Post
Thanks Stan for the quick confirmation!

Still a couple of months away from a completed HT build, but will be using it with a Sony VW600ES. I will report back how they work together.

Regards,
Vector
Just curious....you are going with the FireHawk due to too much ambient light conditions beyond your control?
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page