The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 1917 Old 06-10-2014, 04:40 AM
Senior Member
 
stephenbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What is the minimum viewing distance suggested from a microperf screen?
stephenbr is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 1917 Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
What is the minimum viewing distance suggested from a microperf screen?
I cannot see the perforation at 10 feet but then again, my eyesight is not perfect!
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1893 of 1917 Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
GetGray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-South USA
Posts: 5,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
What is the minimum viewing distance suggested from a microperf screen?
Pretty sure the MRVD is 10'
GetGray is offline  
post #1894 of 1917 Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
stephenbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thx Stan-Lee and GetGray, that is what I thought (and my eyes aren't the sharpest either).
stephenbr is online now  
post #1895 of 1917 Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Cool

Check this out! Stewart Filmscreen has launched a new website and there is a sweepstake entry at the bottom of the home page for a FREE snapper screen! Pretty cool.
http://stewartfilmscreen.com
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1896 of 1917 Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan-Lee View Post
Check this out! Stewart Filmscreen has launched a new website and there is a sweepstake entry at the bottom of the home page for a FREE snapper screen! Pretty cool.
http://stewartfilmscreen.com
Wow - great new website! I'll have to poke around it a bit more.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1897 of 1917 Old 06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tnedator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan-Lee View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Tnedator 

Whats the story on Studiotek 130 G3 and 4k? In the near future I will be installing one of these, but Stewart doesn't list this as one of their 4k ready screen materials. It will be a perfed screen.


I asked a salesman there and he said all Stewart screens are considered 4K ready. It just isn't specified on the website.
Strange, even after their site facelift they don't show Studiotek 130 as a 4k material.
Tnedator is offline  
post #1898 of 1917 Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 AM
Member
 
dan30306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Interesting.... I have a Sabre model and can't find it anywhere on the website. Maybe its exclusive or "limited edition" or something, lol
dan30306 is offline  
post #1899 of 1917 Old 06-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
avsform1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm looking to replace my Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4. I blacked out my room and it doesn't look as good. The reason I want a Edgeless screen is because the my room is very narrow and want to maximize my screen as much as possible. I am thinking of going with the Sabre , are there any cons with the a Sabre w/ StudioTek 130/JVC 4810 in a blacked out room?

It is weird that it they don't advertise this screen on there website.
avsform1 is offline  
post #1900 of 1917 Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The one advantage of a regular style frame vs the Sabre is that you can replace the screen surface if it gets damaged - I don't think you can do that with the Sabre.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1901 of 1917 Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tnedator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The one advantage of a regular style frame vs the Sabre is that you can replace the screen surface if it gets damaged - I don't think you can do that with the Sabre.
I sent a question into Stewart last week and haven't heard back. maybe you know.

Can you replace the surface material on the vertical Electrimast screen?

I'm curious both in the case of damage, but also since they don't list the Studiotek 130 G3 as 4K ready (even though I know in this thread it's been stated it is), and then they come out with a similar screen that is better for 4k or 8k down the road, I'm curious if just replacing the surface is possible?
Tnedator is offline  
post #1902 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Newbie
 
SamothUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen choice advice

Having moved from my old, much smaller, dedicated HT room (which was a total batcave) to a new place with a much much larger room but with worse light control, I'm after advice on what screen to put up here.

Dimensions are:

Seating distance: 15'5"
Projector distance: 18'7"
Projector height: 8'1"

Projector is a JVC HD950 (RS25 in the US?)

Room is fairly light coloured - side walls floor to ceiling dark red velvet drapes (to cover huge windows), ceiling is light coloured, but 14'9" high. Floor is fairly light too. Seating is about 13' wide in one row (room is 19' ft wide)

I'm not looking to watch with the drapes open, use is going to generally be at night with them closed, but light control won't be perfect from that.

I'm thinking of a 135" diagonal wallmount electric screen.

Given what I've got, I think I'm looking at the Firehawk G4 as being my best choice to deal with the less than ideal light control, and I think I need what help with the gain I can get as my projector is going to be on the dim side with that size screen - I think I just about make 16ftL. I think the viewing angle of the G4 should be ok since I make the viewing angle 35 degrees assuming I'm calculating it right?

Anyone got any comments or suggestions?
SamothUK is offline  
post #1903 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 AM
Member
 
dan30306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The one advantage of a regular style frame vs the Sabre is that you can replace the screen surface if it gets damaged - I don't think you can do that with the Sabre.
You can replace the screen if there is damage- its just going to be expensive. The frame and screen are held together by screws. The best way to explain the screen is that it looks like a really big piece of 1/4 inch thick hard plastic that was dipped in screen material (like latex almost). That piece slides into the frame, and there is another insert in the frame channel that wedges it in. The inner frame channel wedge thing is screwed to the back of the outer frame every 6 inches. There are 4 inner channel pieces that run the entire length of the frame all the way around. Its almost like a frame within the frame. Very well built.
dan30306 is offline  
post #1904 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30306 View Post
You can replace the screen if there is damage- its just going to be expensive. The frame and screen are held together by screws. The best way to explain the screen is that it looks like a really big piece of 1/4 inch thick hard plastic that was dipped in screen material (like latex almost). That piece slides into the frame, and there is another insert in the frame channel that wedges it in. The inner frame channel wedge thing is screwed to the back of the outer frame every 6 inches. There are 4 inner channel pieces that run the entire length of the frame all the way around. Its almost like a frame within the frame. Very well built.

Good to know - thanks. I've had folks change the material on their Luxus Deluxe QuickSnap screens ( which is easy ), just never had an occasion to inquire whether it could be done with the Sabre screen. I do like the Sabre screen look!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1905 of 1917 Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
I sent a question into Stewart last week and haven't heard back. maybe you know.

Can you replace the surface material on the vertical Electrimast screen?

I'm curious both in the case of damage, but also since they don't list the Studiotek 130 G3 as 4K ready (even though I know in this thread it's been stated it is), and then they come out with a similar screen that is better for 4k or 8k down the road, I'm curious if just replacing the surface is possible?
Yes, the screen is replaceable.
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1906 of 1917 Old 06-25-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I received my ST100 last Friday and had Chad B out to calibrate my JVC RS4810 to it.

Having only watched a few movies on it so far, if I had to choose one word to describe it: gorgeous.

The image just takes on such a natural, organic look. It takes on a different look compared to the other screens I tried out. It's basically looking at pure image - with nothing annoying such as sparkles, artifacts, etc. The edge to edge brightness of the screen is also very balanced which is nice for off-axis seating.

I went with the Luxus Deluxe fixed frame which was very easy to put together and the fact the bottom of the frame uses magnet pucks behind it to secure it to the wall is a very nice touch and actually improved my image geometry slightly on the bottom compared to the previous Da-Lite I had been using which the bottom hung off the wall just a bit. The frame also looks classy for sure.

Another thing I liked is the lack of odor. I realize all new screens have a chemical-like odor to them. The odor was very slight on the ST100 and almost gone after a few days. The Da-Lite smell was very strong to me and my girlfriend - and even after several weeks it remained strong.

By the way, I am not trying to knock Da-Lite. Their screens were still very impressive and I would recommend them, but I feel like the ST100 is a step above especially for my application.

I was also impressed with how well everything was packed and very secure. The screen also comes in a very strong tube.

pic4.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic1.jpg
All in all, highly recommended. If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask.

I also want to say Mike Garrett of AVS is just great work with!
Stan-Lee likes this.


Last edited by DavidHir; 06-25-2014 at 01:47 PM.
DavidHir is online now  
post #1907 of 1917 Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I received my ST100 last Friday and had Chad B out to calibrate my JVC RS4810 to it.

Having only watched a few movies on it so far, if I had to choose one word to describe it: gorgeous.

The image just takes on such a natural, organic look. It takes on a different look compared to the other screens I tried out. It's basically looking at pure image - with nothing annoying such as sparkles, artifacts, etc. The edge to edge brightness of the screen is also very balanced which is nice for off-axis seating.

I went with the Luxus Deluxe fixed frame which was very easy to put together and the fact the bottom of the frame uses magnet pucks behind it to secure it to the wall is a very nice touch and actually improved my image geometry slightly on the bottom compared to the previous Da-Lite I had been using which the bottom hung off the wall just a bit. The frame also looks classy for sure.

Another thing I liked is the lack of odor. I realize all new screens have a chemical-like odor to them. The odor was very slight on the ST100 and almost gone after a few days. The Da-Lite smell was very strong to me and my girlfriend - and even after several weeks it remained strong.

By the way, I am not trying to knock Da-Lite. Their screens were still very impressive and I would recommend them, but I feel like the ST100 is a step above especially for my application.

I was also impressed with how well everything was packed and very secure. The screen also comes in a very strong tube.

Attachment 135305

Attachment 135313

Attachment 135321
All in all, highly recommended. If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask.

I also want to say Mike Garrett of AVS is just great work with!
You are welcome. Also with the addition of the Prostar material, you room looks like a nice place to view a movie.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1908 of 1917 Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Member
 
BrutaleZEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gents,

I have a StudioTek G130 with Microperf material. When I play a movie, especially on the dark scenes, I can see a ghost image. It bothers me a lot. I look close to the screen and it looks like some light go through the perfs and are projected on the back of my false wall. Is it possible ? Can a black backing cancel this ghost image ? Is Stewart do a black backing for my screen ?

Thanks a lot for your help and input.

Denon AVP-A1HD with 3D upgrade, Denon POA-A1HD, Klipsch THX Ultra 2 7.2 speakers, Oppo BDP-103D, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo DV-983H, Samsung Satellite Receiver, JVC DLA-RS6710, Stewart Screen 16/9 Studiotek 130 G3 100", Mac Mini as a media center, NAS Synology DS 1812+, Drobo Pro 800 storage unit, Sony...
BrutaleZEN is offline  
post #1909 of 1917 Old 07-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Retractable vs Fixes

I've decided on the Firehawk for my basement. Anyone have experience with Stewart retractable screens? The main reason I'm considering this option is that I have 3 little kids at home. Do the screens develop issues secondary to being retracted more often than deployed for movie/TV watching?
Hawk-eye is offline  
post #1910 of 1917 Old 07-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Member
 
marswill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fremont, California
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up Retractable Firehawk G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
I've decided on the Firehawk for my basement. Anyone have experience with Stewart retractable screens? The main reason I'm considering this option is that I have 3 little kids at home. Do the screens develop issues secondary to being retracted more often than deployed for movie/TV watching?
I've had a 100" retractable Firehawk G3 since October 2007. This screen has been deployed and retracted almost every day since then and it still performs a well as when it was new. Occasionally a bug (insect) gets caught and squashed during retraction but it is easy to remove with gentile use of a rag and clean water.
Stan-Lee likes this.
marswill is offline  
post #1911 of 1917 Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Newbie
 
vector54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FIrehawk LS vs Firehawk G4

Hi All,


New poster to forum.


Looking at 120" wide 2.35 screen, and am being told that is Firehawk LS (supposedly the same as G4 but used on larger screens). Can someone tell me if this is correct. I cannot seem to find any info on LS.


Thanks in advance.


Vector
vector54 is online now  
post #1912 of 1917 Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector54 View Post
Hi All,


New poster to forum.

Looking at 120" wide 2.35 screen, and am being told that is Firehawk LS (supposedly the same as G4 but used on larger screens). Can someone tell me if this is correct. I cannot seem to find any info on LS.

Thanks in advance.
Vector
Absolutely 100% correct. LS = Large Screen. G4 is for the smaller sized screens. Sounds like a nice screen! Keep us posted!
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1913 of 1917 Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Newbie
 
vector54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Stan for the quick confirmation!


Still a couple of months away from a completed HT build, but will be using it with a Sony VW600ES. I will report back how they work together.


Regards,
Vector
vector54 is online now  
post #1914 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaleZEN View Post
Gents,

I have a StudioTek G130 with Microperf material. When I play a movie, especially on the dark scenes, I can see a ghost image. It bothers me a lot. I look close to the screen and it looks like some light go through the perfs and are projected on the back of my false wall. Is it possible ? Can a black backing cancel this ghost image ? Is Stewart do a black backing for my screen ?

Thanks a lot for your help and input.
I'm not an expert, but I would think you should try putting a black cloth of some sort behind the screen and see what happens.

Last edited by Stan-Lee; 07-09-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1915 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 AM
Member
 
BrutaleZEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stan-Lee,

thanks for the recommendation. As it is an acoustically transparent screen, my speakers are behind the screen and my false wall is totally black. Can I use speaker cloth for this (to keep the sound properties) ? How far from the screen should I put it ? Just at the back of the screen fabric or further ?

Thanks

Denon AVP-A1HD with 3D upgrade, Denon POA-A1HD, Klipsch THX Ultra 2 7.2 speakers, Oppo BDP-103D, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo DV-983H, Samsung Satellite Receiver, JVC DLA-RS6710, Stewart Screen 16/9 Studiotek 130 G3 100", Mac Mini as a media center, NAS Synology DS 1812+, Drobo Pro 800 storage unit, Sony...
BrutaleZEN is offline  
post #1916 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaleZEN View Post
Stan-Lee,

thanks for the recommendation. As it is an acoustically transparent screen, my speakers are behind the screen and my false wall is totally black. Can I use speaker cloth for this (to keep the sound properties) ? How far from the screen should I put it ? Just at the back of the screen fabric or further ?

Thanks
Well, like I confessed, I am no expert but I would try a few locations until the right location or answer is figured out. One of them being directly behind the screen for sure.
Stan-Lee is offline  
post #1917 of 1917 Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Stan-Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calif
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector54 View Post
Thanks Stan for the quick confirmation!


Still a couple of months away from a completed HT build, but will be using it with a Sony VW600ES. I will report back how they work together.


Regards,
Vector
Just curious....you are going with the FireHawk due to too much ambient light conditions beyond your control?
Stan-Lee is offline  
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off