The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 67 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
post #1981 of 1994 Unread 05-21-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

I always wanted a Stewart screen and today I scored 2 used screens for $100 with frame.

The down side is they are 4:3 but I will mask them to 16:9. (The other down side is the resulting screen will be small at 77 inches but I am used to 80 and it's not a big deal.

One says Firehawk the other says Studiotec 130... I don't know which one to try first.

I use a Sony HW30ES in a fully light controlled room so I believe the Studiotec is the better choice..... I've never tried a grey screen though so I may have to start with that one for curiosity sake.

-Brian

I'd try the StudioTek first myself.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1994 Unread 05-21-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Agreed and can't wait......I have to run errands now for a while but I still can't wait.
post #1983 of 1994 Unread 05-21-2015, 12:28 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post
I just wanted to put some kudos the Stewart Filmscreen company. My Cinecurve 181 was installed by a HT installer per their instructions and it had a few issues on the ends, tension issues. They came out on 2 separate occassions free of charge to correct the problems and everything is perfect. Not sure how other companies stand behind their screens, especially when installed by someone else, but they stood behind theirs.
I had the same issue order a FHG3 in ceiling years ago when it was delivered the screen had urine stain on it RAT"! They sent back a replacement the dealer who is ow OOB did a crappy job and broke a string. Stewart send on of their tech to fix the problems!

That' why you pay premium for their screen, the tech who came to my house was currently working on Keanu Reeves HT !
Craig Peer and Stan-Lee like this.
post #1984 of 1994 Unread 05-23-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The Stewart screen I bought used has been an adventure so far.

I'm using the Studiotec 130 which wasn't even supposed to be in the ad I responded to... but I got lucky there.

I thought it was clean... till I cleaned it and it made a big difference. I don't think it was from a smoker's home but it still have a hazy muck to the surface that wasn't visible to me till I started to remove it.

There's a lot of wrinkles in it and at first they were very visible from my seating position. They have relaxed a bit and I don't think I can still spot them but looking at the screen sideways with the lights on it looks like it has viens running through it. I hope these wrinkles continue to relax.

Finally there's a small shadow looking somewhat upside down V shape near the center.... I thought this was something on the screen until I moved the screen and noticed it doesn't seem to be on the screen. This was good and bad news. Good because maybe the screen will have no visible damages and wear but bad because I have no idea what's causing that... no idea at all. I tried adjusting the focus... I will also try a lot of other great stuff once I think it up.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a used screen that isn't currently setup and being demo-ed. The risks of finding trouble later and huge. I may have found a bit of a diamond in the rough but I still am not sure yet.

-Brian
post #1985 of 1994 Unread 05-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Used screens may be a gamble but at that price if the frame is in good condition you can always get new material for it. It would still end up being less expensive than a new screen.
post #1986 of 1994 Unread 05-24-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
^^what Ellebob said. Yup. You only need the serial number from the screen backside to order a replacement. :-)
post #1987 of 1994 Unread 05-24-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Well that's fun,

I have had my used screen up for a while and I can't see the creases and wrinkles... There is one spot that I still can see but I think it's possible it will repair itself.

If not... The other screen that came with the deal looks good ... I may setup that one someday just to compare the two anyhow.

=Brian
post #1988 of 1994 Unread Yesterday, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey,

I did decide to try out the "other" screen I picked up used. It's Firehawk and if I had to guess it's the original version ... not the current forth generation.

There isn't really a reason for me to use a Firehawk screen since I have a fully light controlled HT with black screen wall and ceiling and dark red and black on the other walls.

However,... It's the best image I've seen yet in my years of HT. So, I keep reading more and more about Firehawk... doesn't make much sense for me to use one but it looks fantastic and I think I'm going to keep using it anyway.

If I eventually buy a new screen ... it likely would not be the Firehawk but I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.

-Brian
post #1989 of 1994 Unread Yesterday, 07:28 AM

You can always request screen samples from your local Stewart rep so you can try other types.
post #1990 of 1994 Unread Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Replacing Vutec Silverstar with ST130

I recently upgraded my projector from an Epson 5010 to a Sony VPL-VW1100ES. The current screen is a 133" diagonal 16:9 Silver star screen. Actually all I know for sure is that the screen was purchased about 3 yrs ago for approximately $2300 and the invoice says Vutec 133" diagonal. It has a fixed metal frame covered in black velvet. The room is used almost exclusively for movie watching in the evening hours and there are no windows and one sliding glass door which has black-out drapes and at most gets indirect moonlight during evening hours. In other words during viewing hours, I have good light control. The projector was recently professionally calibrated. I find now that several things about the current screen are becoming very distracting to me. Firstly the texture of the screen is very apparent in areas where there is alot of brightness projected in the image. Secondly I can see some apparent streaks/smudges in the screen again visible when the image is very bright. I have called Vutec about the streaks, and they recommended trying to lightly use a microfiber cloth to clean; that helped but did not eliminate the problem.

So I have decided to replace the screen with a ST130. My questions are is there any market for a used projection screen like mine? Everyone tells me that it is easy to install the ST130, but I am very apprehensive about tearing, smudging, scraping mis-ordering, incorrectly installing the new screen since I think that I am the world's worse handyman. There are no Stewart dealers in Las Vegas where I live and would prefer to have a dealer do everything to take down the old screen, measure, order the new screen and install it. Am I really being too paranoid, and is it possible for the worlds worst handyman to install a fixed frame Stewart screen without damaging it? Are there any dealers in the Las Vegas area who can handle this replacement for me?

Photo shows the current screen.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	739865  
post #1991 of 1994 Unread Yesterday, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangele View Post
I recently upgraded my projector from an Epson 5010 to a Sony VPL-VW1100ES. The current screen is a 133" diagonal 16:9 Silver star screen. Actually all I know for sure is that the screen was purchased about 3 yrs ago for approximately $2300 and the invoice says Vutec 133" diagonal. It has a fixed metal frame covered in black velvet. The room is used almost exclusively for movie watching in the evening hours and there are no windows and one sliding glass door which has black-out drapes and at most gets indirect moonlight during evening hours. In other words during viewing hours, I have good light control. The projector was recently professionally calibrated. I find now that several things about the current screen are becoming very distracting to me. Firstly the texture of the screen is very apparent in areas where there is alot of brightness projected in the image. Secondly I can see some apparent streaks/smudges in the screen again visible when the image is very bright. I have called Vutec about the streaks, and they recommended trying to lightly use a microfiber cloth to clean; that helped but did not eliminate the problem.

So I have decided to replace the screen with a ST130. My questions are is there any market for a used projection screen like mine? Everyone tells me that it is easy to install the ST130, but I am very apprehensive about tearing, smudging, scraping mis-ordering, incorrectly installing the new screen since I think that I am the world's worse handyman. There are no Stewart dealers in Las Vegas where I live and would prefer to have a dealer do everything to take down the old screen, measure, order the new screen and install it. Am I really being too paranoid, and is it possible for the worlds worst handyman to install a fixed frame Stewart screen without damaging it? Are there any dealers in the Las Vegas area who can handle this replacement for me?

Photo shows the current screen.

Thanks!!

I've had dozens of customers like you put together and install fixed Stewart screens themselves. It really isn't too hard. And the StudioTek 130 is a great screen - I love mine !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1992 of 1994 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 606
orangele,

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but had zero problems putting together my fixed frame (Luxus Deluxe) Stewart ST100 screen. It might have taken me 30-40 minutes or so to put together the frame and button the screen material to it. It's pretty straight forward - just follow the directions.

I would also suggest the EZ-Mount bracket for mounting the screen to the wall. At your screen size it might require two brackets, but a leveler will help get the height nice and even.

For a 1.3 gain screen, the ST130 is the best. If I had to go the next step above 1.0 gain, that would be the screen.

post #1993 of 1994 Unread Today, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe there are no Stewart dealers in Las Vegas.

Barring that though.... there has to be HT speciality places. If so they have experience (hopefully) in installing screens... look one up and you're good to go.

However easy it is, if you don't want the liability of damage there's no problem paying someone.

I only visited Las Vegas but the whole place seems entertainment-centric. I just can't believe there isn't a long list of people and shops that could help.

(Edit = If you plan to keep the white seating and light colored walls, maybe have a look into Firehawk. I understand you can request free screen samples.)
post #1994 of 1994 Unread Today, 07:01 AM

Orangele,
Go to http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/downloads/manuals

And click on the SNDQ or Snapper manual to see how it can be assembled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page