The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #2131 of 2141 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummermitchell View Post
Hi Don,
the reason for the Firehawk was my dealer preferred it to the 130 was the FH looked more film like.Strictly concerts and movies.
Any thoughts on ST-130 or the ST-100 with the JVC-rs-600 in this room.
Will be going with either one,just not sure which would be better for this room
I believe I'm 9-10' from screen seating wise.
Thanks for heads up on retro fitting the screen.
Will chat with my dealer and perhaps I could trade the FH in on a 130 or 100.
I love my RS600 and StudioTek 130 G3 combo. You might want to throw a big piece of matte black carpet over that white carpet though. Best thing I ever did in my theater to improve contrast.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2141 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Craig,
nice space you have,nice and open.
Was reading through go black and never go back thread.
I believe I will do something over the carpet,THX.
I'm wondering if the ST-100(lower gain)might be a bit to low for the 600 as the 130 is 1.3
post #2133 of 2141 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Just saw the Harmony AT screen material at ISE2016 and it delivers a really great image.
Don Stewart likes this.
post #2134 of 2141 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummermitchell View Post
Hi Craig,
nice space you have,nice and open.
Was reading through go black and never go back thread.
I believe I will do something over the carpet,THX.
I'm wondering if the ST-100(lower gain)might be a bit to low for the 600 as the 130 is 1.3
I myself enjoy the added punch of the ST130, and the Cima Neve too !

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #2135 of 2141 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Craig,
thanks for the conversation and other tricks.
Will be going with the Studiotek-130 G-3.
I believe Home depot has a black area rug that should almost fit the front area..
will call my carpet guy and see if he can get it cheaper.
post #2136 of 2141 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post
Just saw the Harmony AT screen material at ISE2016 and it delivers a really great image.
Frank....you have one up on me.. I have not even been able to see the new Harmony AT screen under projection yet. Been stuck at home for past three weeks waiting to get over illness. Good to hear that you like the image quality.
Frank Derks likes this.

Regards,
Don Stewart
Precision Professional Projection Screens.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
post #2137 of 2141 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don,

I was in a a few theatre stores the other day here in north dallas and most of them were pushing screen innovations products. But one store rep was adamant about the value the CIMA has compared to others. To me CIMA looked way better than all the $4-5 k SI black diamond,zero edge, etc, screens that SI offered. Even with a Sony 65ES match with a SI zero edge(or something like that it costed $4500) I was not impressed as the sharpness seemed just a tad off compared with how the CIMA looked when it was paired with a Sony 40 ES at another theatre store(Modia in Southlake).

So with that all said I'm definitely going to get a CIMA screen.

My 3 variables are:
1 - Sony 40ES or 65ES(depends on budget)
2 - CIMA 100" or 110"
3 - Neve or Tiburon

I dont expect anyone to answer the first question in regards to what projector I'm going to buy!

But I dont know what I should get for the other 2.

The details are the Windows face WEST, then you see light coming in from the other photo and that window faces south. Primarily video in here will be watched when its dark out. But football games during season. I can put these chinese paper fans in the top parts of the windows to take away additional brightness. Which is why there is so much light coming through on the second photo as there is nothing blocking the upper window.

Length across room is 12'11"

11'4" would be the projector short throw. Which according to Projector Central I should be able to throw a 110" image with either projector.

Sitting distance would be against the wall roughly 12' away.

These pictures were taken at 12:30 PM. When the evening comes, the sun is further east which makes the room even darker. You cant see in the photos but the kitchen and another living room are further to the right.

--So with this information and photos, what size screen would you recommend 100" or 110"(i prefer bigger).

--What material would you recommend and why.

Sorry for the information overload but I wanted to portray as much information as I could.
Thank you!!

We just moved in which is why things arent setup permanently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3118.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1247305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3119.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1247313  

Made a mistake in life? Nothin' a little Valtrex can't take care of...

Last edited by jrod9707; Today at 01:50 AM. Reason: added words :)
post #2138 of 2141 Old Today, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Don,

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Don Stewart likes this.
post #2139 of 2141 Old Today, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post
Don,

I was in a a few theatre stores the other day here in north dallas and most of them were pushing screen innovations products. But one store rep was adamant about the value the CIMA has compared to others. To me CIMA looked way better than all the $4-5 k SI black diamond,zero edge, etc, screens that SI offered. Even with a Sony 65ES match with a SI zero edge(or something like that it costed $4500) I was not impressed as the sharpness seemed just a tad off compared with how the CIMA looked when it was paired with a Sony 40 ES at another theatre store(Modia in Southlake).

So with that all said I'm definitely going to get a CIMA screen.

My 3 variables are:
1 - Sony 40ES or 65ES(depends on budget)
2 - CIMA 100" or 110"
3 - Neve or Tiburon

I dont expect anyone to answer the first question in regards to what projector I'm going to buy!

But I dont know what I should get for the other 2.

The details are the Windows face WEST, then you see light coming in from the other photo and that window faces south. Primarily video in here will be watched when its dark out. But football games during season. I can put these chinese paper fans in the top parts of the windows to take away additional brightness. Which is why there is so much light coming through on the second photo as there is nothing blocking the upper window.

Length across room is 12'11"

11'4" would be the projector short throw. Which according to Projector Central I should be able to throw a 110" image with either projector.

Sitting distance would be against the wall roughly 12' away.

These pictures were taken at 12:30 PM. When the evening comes, the sun is further east which makes the room even darker. You cant see in the photos but the kitchen and another living room are further to the right.

--So with this information and photos, what size screen would you recommend 100" or 110"(i prefer bigger).

--What material would you recommend and why.

Sorry for the information overload but I wanted to portray as much information as I could.
Thank you!!

We just moved in which is why things arent setup permanently.
Hi Jrod,
After reviewing your photos and other technical information above I can not in good conscience recommend any white screen for your theater. Your room finishing colors are very light plus walls and windows are fairly close to screen position. Even when viewing movies at night in a darkened room you will have a considerable amount of cross reflection between walls, ceiling, floor carpets and screen. If this room was for myself, I would go with a gray screen that brings some ALR values to your project.. My first choice would be FireHawk, but the FH requires a bare minimum throw distance of 1.6 times screen width to assure decent white field uniformity, (minimum hot spotting) and you don't have that distance available. My second choice would be a GrayHawk 90, a less aggressive lighter gray ALR screen material but requires only a minimum TD of 1.3 times screen width. Currently, with our Cima screen line, we have not been happy with our last two manufacturing runs of the Cima Tiburon gray screens. The material failed our optical QC specifications and the runs were scrapped. So to fill current Cima orders for Tiburon, we have been upgrading the customer to our premium Stewart GrayHawk screen material at no extra charge. The GrayHawk has higher gain and also has a darker ND Gray value than the Tiburon which gives it superior ALR properties. (See gray value chart attached). As far as screen size goes, I just want to state that the 100 inch size will net you near 20% more brightness than the 110" screen. Also, if you elect to go with the 100" screen size, it would increase you throw distance ratio to over 1.5 which will add better white field uniformity to your image fidelity.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Screen ND Gray Values.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1247881  

Regards,
Don Stewart
Precision Professional Projection Screens.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/

Last edited by Don Stewart; Today at 11:20 AM.
post #2140 of 2141 Old Today, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Hi Jrod,
After reviewing your photos and other technical information above I can not in good conscience recommend any white screen for your theater. Your room finishing colors are very light plus walls and windows are fairly close to screen position. Even when viewing movies at night in a darkened room you will have a considerable amount of cross reflection between walls, ceiling, floor carpets and screen. If this room was for myself, I would go with a gray screen that brings some ALR values to your project.. My first choice would be FireHawk, but the FH requires a bare minimum throw distance of 1.6 times screen width to assure decent white field uniformity, (minimum hot spotting) and you don't have that distance available. My second choice would be a GrayHawk 90, a less aggressive lighter gray ALR screen material but requires only a minimum TD of 1.3 times screen width. Currently, with our Cima screen line, we have not been happy with our last two manufacturing runs of the Cima Tiburon gray screens. The material failed our optical QC specifications and the runs were scrapped. So to fill current Cima orders for Tiburon, we have been upgrading the customer to our premium Stewart GrayHawk screen material at no extra charge. The GrayHawk has higher gain and also has a darker ND Gray value than the Tiburon which gives it superior ALR properties. (See gray value chart attached). As far as screen size goes, I just want to state that the 100 inch size will net you near 20% more brightness than the 110" screen. Also, if you elect to go with the 100" screen size, it would increase you throw distance ratio to over 1.5 which will add better white field uniformity to your image fidelity.

Hope that helps.
Thank you Don for the information. This will make things much easier to decide when the time comes.

post #2141 of 2141 Old Today, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Hi Jrod,

Hope that helps.
Thank you Don for the information. This will make things much easier to decide when the time comes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3