The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 174Likes

post #2341 of 2361 Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2962
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
How far do you need to sit from the StudioTek 100 to avoid being able to see the perforation holes? I'm told it's harder to see the perforation holes on unity gain screens than high gain screens. Is this true?
11' to 12'.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2361 Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
11' to 12'.
Thanks.

However is it true that perforation holes are less noticeable on unity gain (1.0 gain) screens as there is less contrast between the dark holes and the screen itself (or something along those lines)?
post #2343 of 2361 Old 09-14-2016, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hi All,
Getting ready to leave for the airport on my way to CEDIA. If you are attending the show please drop by our booth, (#4108) so we can chat.

Regards,
Don Stewart
Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
post #2344 of 2361 Old 09-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Hi All,
Getting ready to leave for the airport on my way to CEDIA. If you are attending the show please drop by our booth, (#4108) so we can chat.
Me too. Looking forward to seeing the new material. See you there.
post #2345 of 2361 Old 09-17-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

HALR looked really good. So good that Stewart was shooting some black and white material and the image looked great. Black and White is a torture test for an ALR screen. HALR passed with flying colors. Would like to change my fabric out to it.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; Yesterday at 06:30 AM.
post #2346 of 2361 Old 09-26-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Will someone be able to provide me with an estimated price of the StudioTek 100 screen with the 12 ft wide VistaScope masking system?

Secondly, any other Stewart AT screen recommendations for a 4K UHD laser projector with a 12 ft wide screen or is the StudioTek 100 the most recommended one?
post #2347 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Will someone be able to provide me with an estimated price of the StudioTek 100 screen with the 12 ft wide VistaScope masking system?

Secondly, any other Stewart AT screen recommendations for a 4K UHD laser projector with a 12 ft wide screen or is the StudioTek 100 the most recommended one?
Sure, give us a call.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
post #2348 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a few questions on motorized screens:
1. What is the difference between model A LX and A LX Classic? They are under the same category, but I couldn't find the description of each one of them. After reading the manuals I noted that classic model has a different case design and curved sides. Without knowing the differences I is difficult to choose the right model for me.
2. I need the screen to be attached to the wall and I need about 7-8 inch clearance between the wall and screen surface (the screen will cover TV mounted on the wall). In order to acheive that I asked for reversed roll. However, according to the dealer, this will result in turing the case around (i.e. the mounting brackets would end up on the front of the case) and in order to fix the screen correctly some new "doctor brackets" will need to be supplied. This mounting option and 12V trigger increased the price of the screen by more than 1000$, which is very strange. I know that SI offers revers or standard roll with front or opposite projection in any combination without any change in price. Are Stewart screens less flexible in this respect?
post #2349 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Dark grays work well. Visit a Sherwin Williams store - they have color pallets of complimentary gray's. I used very dark gray on the ceiling and back wall, a slightly lighter shade on the side walls, a lighter still shade on the hall leading to the theater, black on the front ( screen ) wall, and dark red velvet curtains. And black carpeting. Looks like a theater, not a water boarding facility or dungeon. Lot's of things you can do to cut reflections -

I have to crank up all the lights and use the flash to take pictures - the grays look much darker in person !
Cool I used SW 9178 In the Navy for the walls and ceiling http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...ngColors&p=PS0

I am putting Black Velvet on the front wall
Craig Peer likes this.
post #2350 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
HALR looked really good. So good that Stewart was shooting some black and white material and the image looked great. Black and White is a torture test for an ALR screen. HALR passed with flying colors. Would like to change my fabric out to it.
That sound great I have a Stewart Film Screen can I change the screen material?
post #2351 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
That sound great I have a Stewart Film Screen can I change the screen material?
Yes, but not available until around January.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
post #2352 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojito View Post
I have a few questions on motorized screens:
1. What is the difference between model A LX and A LX Classic? They are under the same category, but I couldn't find the description of each one of them. After reading the manuals I noted that classic model has a different case design and curved sides. Without knowing the differences I is difficult to choose the right model for me.
2. I need the screen to be attached to the wall and I need about 7-8 inch clearance between the wall and screen surface (the screen will cover TV mounted on the wall). In order to acheive that I asked for reversed roll. However, according to the dealer, this will result in turing the case around (i.e. the mounting brackets would end up on the front of the case) and in order to fix the screen correctly some new "doctor brackets" will need to be supplied. This mounting option and 12V trigger increased the price of the screen by more than 1000$, which is very strange. I know that SI offers revers or standard roll with front or opposite projection in any combination without any change in price. Are Stewart screens less flexible in this respect?
The difference between the LX and LX Classic is screen housing size. The LX can accommodate screens up to 135" diagonal and the LX Classic can accommodate larger screens up to 165" diagonal. We prefer not to reverse roll screens unless there is no other option. When a screen is reversed rolled, then the very bottom of the screen's viewing side exposed to collect dust at the 12:00 position when screen is in the rolled up position and can damage viewing surface over time. You did not mention if your screen is going to be installed above or below the ceiling. If the screen is going to be installed below the ceiling and the the housing can be viewed, we make a designer roller model called the Cabaret. It is also available with extension brackets that allow for spacing when screen material is to be positioned in front of a flat panel TV. See link. As for pricing, I noticed that you live in Russia. The options that you mention are less than half of that here in the US. I do know that overseas prices go up quite a bit when additional parties are involved such as distributors. Those prices are set by the local distributors and dealers, not the factory.

Link: http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/app...or-home-cinema
Mojito likes this.

Regards,
Don Stewart
post #2353 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The difference between the LX and LX Classic is screen housing size. The LX can accommodate screens up to 135" diagonal and the LX Classic can accommodate larger screens up to 165" diagonal. We prefer not to reverse roll screens unless there is no other option. When a screen is reversed rolled, then the very bottom of the screen's viewing side exposed to collect dust at the 12:00 position when screen is in the rolled up position and can damage viewing surface over time. You did not mention if your screen is going to be installed above or below the ceiling. If the screen is going to be installed below the ceiling and the the housing can be viewed, we make a designer roller model called the Cabaret. It is also available with extension brackets that allow for spacing when screen material is to be positioned in front of a flat panel TV. See link. As for pricing, I noticed that you live in Russia. The options that you mention are less than half of that here in the US. I do know that overseas prices go up quite a bit when additional parties are involved such as distributors. Those prices are set by the local distributors and dealers, not the factory.

Link: http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/app...or-home-cinema
Thanks Don. Very helpful response as usual.
Just to give you an idea I attach the pictures. The screen will be mounted below celling in the niche. The celing there is too weak, therefore the screen should be attached to the wall. The case will not be visible (I'm planning to cover it with a false panel after the screen is installed), so fancy case is not necessary for my application.
As I said I need about 7-8 inches from the wall. Are those extension brackets also available for the LX models?

Also, in another thread you recommended Gray Matte 70 material for my room. The description I read on the site mentioned that "custom gains are availble". Does that mean I can order to increase the gain (in what range)? What are the drawbacks or advantages?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160913_092419.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1687193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160913_092402.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1687201  
post #2354 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks Don. Very helpful response as usual.
Just to give you an idea I attach the pictures. The screen will be mounted below celling in the niche. The celing there is too weak, therefore the screen should be attached to the wall. The case will not be visible (I'm planning to cover it with a false panel after the screen is installed), so fancy case is not necessary for my application.
As I said I need about 7-8 inches from the wall. Are those extension brackets also available for the LX models?

Also, in another thread you recommended Gray Matte 70 material for my room. The description I read on the site mentioned that "custom gains are availble". Does that mean I can order to increase the gain (in what range)? What are the drawbacks or advantages?
Before we discuss screen materials, it is best to figure out how to mechanically fit screen housing in to available space.. How high and how deep is niche, (screen soffit) in either mm or inches?
Also, you plan to attach screen housing to back wall, not front soffit wall? Correct? Please advise.
Mojito likes this.

Regards,
Don Stewart
post #2355 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Before we discuss screen materials, it is best to figure out how to mechanically fit screen housing in to available space.. How high and how deep is niche, (screen soffit) in either mm or inches?
The soffit is 260 mm deep and 160 mm high (not counting the skirting)

Quote:
Also, you plan to attach screen housing to back wall, not front soffit wall? Correct? Please advise.
That's correct.
post #2356 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure, give us a call.
Will it not be possible to provide a simple/quick price estimate over PM? MSRP will be fine too.
post #2357 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Will it not be possible to provide a simple/quick price estimate over PM? MSRP will be fine too.
I see you are in Dubai - send an email !

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook
Epson 5040 / 6040 now available The new JVC RS4500 available for pre order !
JVC RS400 500 600 Cedia Special pricing - call !
post #2358 of 2361 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The soffit is 260 mm deep and 160 mm high (not counting the skirting)
That's correct.
You mentioned the screen needs to drop 6 to7 inches off back wall. If you could get that down to 125mm or so we can do a standard roll with custom side wall mount brackets. Otherwise we will need to do a reverse roll. What I suggest for a reverse roll is we add 8 inches of extra black masking between the bottom screen batten bar to where the bottom viewing area starts. This way, when screen is rolled up, any dust that accumulates on top of roller tube will be on the black masking portion of the screen and not on the viewing area. Since my wife is out to dinner with friends tonight, I had an unusual situation where I actually had time to draw a quick installation profile sketch of your project. (See attached drawing) We would also need to know how much black drop is needed between the screen housing and where the viewing area begins. Also, with your close viewing distance and the throw distance of your JVC 7000 PJ, I would still recommend the GrayMatte 70 material. It has an extremely smooth flat finish with absolutely no screen added artifacts. If you decide to move forward, our engineering department would supply you and your dealer with full engineering drawings for your approval before we start to build. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Custom Reverse Roll LXE.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	1688313  
Mojito likes this.

Regards,
Don Stewart

Last edited by Don Stewart; Yesterday at 09:11 PM.
post #2359 of 2361 Old Today, 01:55 AM

Quote:
You mentioned the screen needs to drop 6 to7 inches off back wall. If you could get that down to 125mm or so we can do a standard roll with custom side wall mount brackets. Otherwise we will need to do a reverse roll. What I suggest for a reverse roll is we add 8 inches of extra black masking between the bottom screen batten bar to where the bottom viewing area starts. This way, when screen is rolled up, any dust that accumulates on top of roller tube will be on the black masking portion of the screen and not on the viewing area. Since my wife is out to dinner with friends tonight, I had an unusual situation where I actually had time to draw a quick installation profile sketch of your project. (See attached drawing) We would also need to know how much black drop is needed between the screen housing and where the viewing area begins. Also, with your close viewing distance and the throw distance of your JVC 7000 PJ, I would still recommend the GrayMatte 70 material. It has an extremely smooth flat finish with absolutely no screen added artifacts. If you decide to move forward, our engineering department would supply you and your dealer with full engineering drawings for your approval before we start to build. Hope that helps.
Thanks Don, your help is very much appreciated.
I attach for convenience a little out-of-scale drawing with all the dimiensons and picture of the room at the PJ side (sorry for the mess).
I can probably reduce the clearance between the wall and the screen ("Y" in the drawing) to 125 as I'm planning to get an LG OLED65E6 wich should be capable of being mounted about 100 mm away from the wall.
I wouldn't like to add extra masking at the bottom of the screen as this will result in the screen being quite high above the floor and possibly even reduced viewing area (the hight of the screen below the soffit edge should be no more than 1650 mm). With my dimensions and the PJ I can get to 109" screen (I could probably get to even 110", but that will be at the limit of PJ's range and would allow for very little headroom), so normall roll and wooden spacers will be more preferable option (I just need to figure out how to attach them to the wall inside the narrow soffit space).
So, that sounds like an LX non-classic model with normal roll, 109", GrayMatte 70, 220V and STI (12V trigger) option. I just need to figure out the backdrop so that the total screen size (from the celling in the soffit to the very bottom of the screen) is not more than 1850 mm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160913_092321.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	1688393  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dimensions.pdf (354.2 KB, 2 views)
Don Stewart likes this.

Last edited by Mojito; Today at 03:14 AM.
post #2360 of 2361 Old Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

With the VistaScope masking system, are the motorized masking panels acoustically transparent? Is it okay if the left and right LCR speakers get covered by the masking when the masking is enabled?
post #2361 of 2361 Old Today, 03:04 PM

Quote:
With the VistaScope masking system, are the motorized masking panels acoustically transparent? Is it okay if the left and right LCR speakers get covered by the masking when the masking is enabled?
If you order the VistaSope with the THX Micro-Perf screen option, then we automatically install acoustically transparent masking panels at the factory. So the answer is yes.
Hope that helps.

Best,
Don

Regards,
Don Stewart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3