The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2371 of 2376 Unread 10-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I want projection in my Family Room, been researching ALR screens from all the reputable manufacturers including Stewart, Screen Innovations, DNP, etc., because of their ambient light rejecting properties, increased contrast performance in modestly lit environments, etc.. However, in my research, I found these screens have as many pros (better contrast, more saturated colors under higher ambient light conditions, etc..) as cons (sparkles, potential hot spotting, limited field of view, cost, etc..). So, I took a portable Da-Lite 1.0 gain screen, a sample of the Black Diamond 1.4 gain from SI and borrowed an old 720P Panasonic projector to run a few comparison tests at home. After some day and night time testing under modest ambient light and in complete darkness, I found that while the ALR material did show improvement in color saturation and contrast, I also found it lost brightness; making the whites appear duller. Granted, the projector I used was old, but I came to the realization that for most of my viewing after 6 PM M-F and S-S with the drapes closed, an ALR screen may not be a complete necessity.

Thus....I am now considering a more conventional projection screen. That said, I don't watch movies, sports, games or entertain in complete darkness, it's still a functioning Family Room, so I may occasionally have a lamp on and there may be some modest amounts of light bleeding from the adjacent kitchen; in general about 2-4 FC at night with a lamp light on measured at the proposed screen location. All this said, what Stewart non-ALR fixed screen is most similar to the SI Zero Edge product in terms of appearance, which Stewart material and gain would best serve me in the conditions stated above?

I need to strike a balance between that perfect picture everyone wants and using my Family Room for its intended purpose while getting the immersive viewing experience of projection and larger screen. I am currently considering the Epson 6040UB or a JVC RS400-RS500. Another reason I am shying away from the ALR screens is the projector at 11'-6" throw is at the lower range for a 100" ALR screen and that may amplify all the aforementioned cons mentioned earlier; the wider viewing angle of a conventional screen is also nice.

Lastly, I do prefer a gray screen material, as the room is not exclusively dedicated for projection and it would be nice if the screen didn't stand out like a sore thumb (had more of a giant TV look) when not in use, but certainly, I would consider white if that would be the ideal material color in this case.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions here folks. I need them! lol

Sponsored Links
post #2372 of 2376 Unread 10-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is my old Stewart Firehawk worth shipping?

Is my old 92" Stewart Firehawk worth shipping? (Ohio to Colorado)
Screen model# SNDQ092HFHWezX. (Purchased in 2004, still in perfect condition)

I don't have the old box for the metal frame but I DO have the tube for the screen its self.
I'm not sure how I'd go about packaging the frame rails.
Has anyone done this before? Est cost for shipping / recommended shipper?
Thinking about using a cardboard tube used for concrete forms as a container, thoughts?

New location has plenty of ambient light, even at night its not fully black-out dark as there is some street light pollution that bleeds through my 'high efficiency' blinds.

If I do ship the screen I planned on purchasing a Sony VPL-HW45ES.
PJ would be high mounted -approximately 14ft from screen (Above viewing couch).
Is this a good combo with the old screen?

If the screen is not worth shipping I may forgo projection in general as I don't want to spend $4k on a full pj + screen for an apartment.

Thanks for any comments and feedback as I have been out of the PJ scene for many years at this point but excited to get back in!!
post #2373 of 2376 Unread Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Can the StudioTek 100 screen not be used for 3D? According to the Stewart website, it states "No" for "Passive 3D use".
post #2374 of 2376 Unread Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Can the StudioTek 100 screen not be used for 3D? According to the Stewart website, it states "No" for "Passive 3D use".
Can't speak for passive 3D, but it works fine with active 3D on my Sony HW50ES. Are there even any passive 3D projectors out there anyway?
post #2375 of 2376 Unread Today, 04:01 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
For the StudioTek 100 - no, you can't use that for passive 3D. The Stewart 5D though can definitely be used and is rated for passive 3D.
post #2376 of 2376 Unread Today, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Most passive 3D projector systems use two projectors with a different polarizing filter in front of each lens. It also needs a processor to send odd frames to one projector and even one to the other. It also needs a screen with a gain silver coating to preserve polarization. While these screens are great for 3D they might not be optimal for 2D depending on the situation. Something like the 5D while great for 3D and 2D still looks very good is not going to compete with a Studiotek 100 in a dark environment for 2D. Passive 3D is some of the best 3D I have seen but can be expensive to implement well.
Sponsored Links
Reply Screens

Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3