The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 177Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2371 of 2390 Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I want projection in my Family Room, been researching ALR screens from all the reputable manufacturers including Stewart, Screen Innovations, DNP, etc., because of their ambient light rejecting properties, increased contrast performance in modestly lit environments, etc.. However, in my research, I found these screens have as many pros (better contrast, more saturated colors under higher ambient light conditions, etc..) as cons (sparkles, potential hot spotting, limited field of view, cost, etc..). So, I took a portable Da-Lite 1.0 gain screen, a sample of the Black Diamond 1.4 gain from SI and borrowed an old 720P Panasonic projector to run a few comparison tests at home. After some day and night time testing under modest ambient light and in complete darkness, I found that while the ALR material did show improvement in color saturation and contrast, I also found it lost brightness; making the whites appear duller. Granted, the projector I used was old, but I came to the realization that for most of my viewing after 6 PM M-F and S-S with the drapes closed, an ALR screen may not be a complete necessity.

Thus....I am now considering a more conventional projection screen. That said, I don't watch movies, sports, games or entertain in complete darkness, it's still a functioning Family Room, so I may occasionally have a lamp on and there may be some modest amounts of light bleeding from the adjacent kitchen; in general about 2-4 FC at night with a lamp light on measured at the proposed screen location. All this said, what Stewart non-ALR fixed screen is most similar to the SI Zero Edge product in terms of appearance, which Stewart material and gain would best serve me in the conditions stated above?

I need to strike a balance between that perfect picture everyone wants and using my Family Room for its intended purpose while getting the immersive viewing experience of projection and larger screen. I am currently considering the Epson 6040UB or a JVC RS400-RS500. Another reason I am shying away from the ALR screens is the projector at 11'-6" throw is at the lower range for a 100" ALR screen and that may amplify all the aforementioned cons mentioned earlier; the wider viewing angle of a conventional screen is also nice.

Lastly, I do prefer a gray screen material, as the room is not exclusively dedicated for projection and it would be nice if the screen didn't stand out like a sore thumb (had more of a giant TV look) when not in use, but certainly, I would consider white if that would be the ideal material color in this case.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions here folks. I need them! lol



Thanks!
techjoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2372 of 2390 Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
tplague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is my old Stewart Firehawk worth shipping?

Is my old 92" Stewart Firehawk worth shipping? (Ohio to Colorado)
Screen model# SNDQ092HFHWezX. (Purchased in 2004, still in perfect condition)


I don't have the old box for the metal frame but I DO have the tube for the screen its self.
I'm not sure how I'd go about packaging the frame rails.
Has anyone done this before? Est cost for shipping / recommended shipper?
Thinking about using a cardboard tube used for concrete forms as a container, thoughts?

New location has plenty of ambient light, even at night its not fully black-out dark as there is some street light pollution that bleeds through my 'high efficiency' blinds.


If I do ship the screen I planned on purchasing a Sony VPL-HW45ES.
PJ would be high mounted -approximately 14ft from screen (Above viewing couch).
Is this a good combo with the old screen?

If the screen is not worth shipping I may forgo projection in general as I don't want to spend $4k on a full pj + screen for an apartment.


Thanks for any comments and feedback as I have been out of the PJ scene for many years at this point but excited to get back in!!
tplague is offline  
post #2373 of 2390 Old 10-21-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,218
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Can the StudioTek 100 screen not be used for 3D? According to the Stewart website, it states "No" for "Passive 3D use".
Kain is offline  
post #2374 of 2390 Old 10-21-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Can the StudioTek 100 screen not be used for 3D? According to the Stewart website, it states "No" for "Passive 3D use".
Can't speak for passive 3D, but it works fine with active 3D on my Sony HW50ES. Are there even any passive 3D projectors out there anyway?
WilliamG is offline  
post #2375 of 2390 Old 10-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Member
 
wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Can the StudioTek 100 screen not be used for 3D? According to the Stewart website, it states "No" for "Passive 3D use".
For the StudioTek 100 - no, you can't use that for passive 3D. The Stewart 5D though can definitely be used and is rated for passive 3D.
Don Stewart likes this.
wanderer is offline  
post #2376 of 2390 Old 10-21-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,109
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Most passive 3D projector systems use two projectors with a different polarizing filter in front of each lens. It also needs a processor to send odd frames to one projector and even one to the other. It also needs a screen with a gain silver coating to preserve polarization. While these screens are great for 3D they might not be optimal for 2D depending on the situation. Something like the 5D while great for 3D and 2D still looks very good is not going to compete with a Studiotek 100 in a dark environment for 2D. Passive 3D is some of the best 3D I have seen but can be expensive to implement well.
Don Stewart likes this.
Ellebob is offline  
post #2377 of 2390 Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quick question:

Does Stewart sell the fabric seperately ?

I'm looking for a Studiotek 100 Microperf 133" diagonal 16:9 with horizontal masking. I'd like to know if i can the fabric alone and get an external masking system from Carada or Da-lite.

Also what would be the price of a fixed AT 133" 16:9 with horizontal masking Studiotek 100 ?

I'm from India and not the US and If someone could help shipping it from the US, I would handle clearing in my country.
abinav555 is offline  
post #2378 of 2390 Old 11-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all.

I was initially considering an ALR screen in my less than perfect room (for projection anyways), but after reviewing that technology and it's many shortcomings, I have decided to make some changes to my Family Room to better control ambient light during the day and artificial light at night, therefore, I am now considering a more conventional screen material. From what I have read here, the StudioTec 130 material seems to be a good match and more forgiving than the 100. Since I have never owned a projector or screen, I am trying to determine the largest size I can fit in my room: 13-6" W (screen side) X 18'-6"L X 8'-0"H? In the current plan, I am seating about 12'-6" from the screen (eye level at 38"), the projector throw is currently about 15'-6" (max. room will allow is 16'-0").

What would be the largest 2.35:1 screen I could comfortably fit on that wall without losing too much brightness and causing eye fatigue that also works from that throw distance? I will be purchasing either a JVC RS600 or the Epson LS10500 when it's available. Yes, I have played around with screen calculators, but I trust more the opinion of actual enthusiast in real world conditions more than the broad range numbers provided by an online calculator.

I am attaching two pictures showing my modest Family Room with a 16:9 120" screen outlined in blue tape. What I realized yesterday is that the main purpose of going to projection is to watch movies (80% of the time), both 1080P and 4K, streaming, Blu-Ray, etc. and those films are mostly in scope format. Therefore, I am reconsidering my choice of aspect ratios. However, since going scope in this case means having a smaller 16:9 viewing area, I want the largest screen possible.

What is the biggest size 2.35:1 screen I can put in this room and the recommended seating and throw distances for that specific size? Should I be concerned with hot spotting at the available throw distance, loss of brightness, etc.? I am fine with ranges, but prefer specifics from your own personal experience and preferences. I know viewing tolerances are different from person to person, but I do not want to regret going too small (or too big for that matter). For what it's worth, the currently outlined screen in blue tape from a 12'-6" seating distance last week appeared big to us, now is beginning to look small! lol

What say you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4247.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1753601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4251.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1753609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan.png
Views:	55
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1753617  

Last edited by techjoy; 11-04-2016 at 12:08 PM.
techjoy is offline  
post #2379 of 2390 Old 11-08-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,218
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Few questions on the Stewart fixed frame systems...

1. What is the difference between the Cima Wallscreen (Cima FF), Basic Wallscreen, and Deluxe Wallscreen?

2. Can all three support a micro-perf screen such as the StudioTek 100?

3. Can all three be bought in a CinemaScope aspect ratio?
Kain is offline  
post #2380 of 2390 Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by techjoy View Post
Hi all.

I was initially considering an ALR screen in my less than perfect room (for projection anyways), but after reviewing that technology and it's many shortcomings, I have decided to make some changes to my Family Room to better control ambient light during the day and artificial light at night, therefore, I am now considering a more conventional screen material. From what I have read here, the StudioTec 130 material seems to be a good match and more forgiving than the 100. Since I have never owned a projector or screen, I am trying to determine the largest size I can fit in my room: 13-6" W (screen side) X 18'-6"L X 8'-0"H? In the current plan, I am seating about 12'-6" from the screen (eye level at 38"), the projector throw is currently about 15'-6" (max. room will allow is 16'-0").

What would be the largest 2.35:1 screen I could comfortably fit on that wall without losing too much brightness and causing eye fatigue that also works from that throw distance? I will be purchasing either a JVC RS600 or the Epson LS10500 when it's available. Yes, I have played around with screen calculators, but I trust more the opinion of actual enthusiast in real world conditions more than the broad range numbers provided by an online calculator.

I am attaching two pictures showing my modest Family Room with a 16:9 120" screen outlined in blue tape. What I realized yesterday is that the main purpose of going to projection is to watch movies (80% of the time), both 1080P and 4K, streaming, Blu-Ray, etc. and those films are mostly in scope format. Therefore, I am reconsidering my choice of aspect ratios. However, since going scope in this case means having a smaller 16:9 viewing area, I want the largest screen possible.

What is the biggest size 2.35:1 screen I can put in this room and the recommended seating and throw distances for that specific size? Should I be concerned with hot spotting at the available throw distance, loss of brightness, etc.? I am fine with ranges, but prefer specifics from your own personal experience and preferences. I know viewing tolerances are different from person to person, but I do not want to regret going too small (or too big for that matter). For what it's worth, the currently outlined screen in blue tape from a 12'-6" seating distance last week appeared big to us, now is beginning to look small! lol

What say you?
Anyone?
techjoy is offline  
post #2381 of 2390 Old 11-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,827
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Few questions on the Stewart fixed frame systems...

1. What is the difference between the Cima Wallscreen (Cima FF), Basic Wallscreen, and Deluxe Wallscreen?

2. Can all three support a micro-perf screen such as the StudioTek 100?

3. Can all three be bought in a CinemaScope aspect ratio?
1. What is the difference between the Cima Wallscreen (Cima FF), Basic Wallscreen, and Deluxe Wallscreen? The Cima only comes in fixed sizes, with Neve or Tiburon Material. The Luxus screens come any size you want, with just about any of Stewart's screen materials. The Cima line costs a lot less.

2. Can all three support a micro-perf screen such as the StudioTek 100? - yes. The perf'd Cima is called " PerfOrado " .

3. Can all three be bought in a CinemaScope aspect ratio? - yes.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #2382 of 2390 Old 11-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,827
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by techjoy View Post
Hi all.

I was initially considering an ALR screen in my less than perfect room (for projection anyways), but after reviewing that technology and it's many shortcomings, I have decided to make some changes to my Family Room to better control ambient light during the day and artificial light at night, therefore, I am now considering a more conventional screen material. From what I have read here, the StudioTec 130 material seems to be a good match and more forgiving than the 100. Since I have never owned a projector or screen, I am trying to determine the largest size I can fit in my room: 13-6" W (screen side) X 18'-6"L X 8'-0"H? In the current plan, I am seating about 12'-6" from the screen (eye level at 38"), the projector throw is currently about 15'-6" (max. room will allow is 16'-0").

What would be the largest 2.35:1 screen I could comfortably fit on that wall without losing too much brightness and causing eye fatigue that also works from that throw distance? I will be purchasing either a JVC RS600 or the Epson LS10500 when it's available. Yes, I have played around with screen calculators, but I trust more the opinion of actual enthusiast in real world conditions more than the broad range numbers provided by an online calculator.

I am attaching two pictures showing my modest Family Room with a 16:9 120" screen outlined in blue tape. What I realized yesterday is that the main purpose of going to projection is to watch movies (80% of the time), both 1080P and 4K, streaming, Blu-Ray, etc. and those films are mostly in scope format. Therefore, I am reconsidering my choice of aspect ratios. However, since going scope in this case means having a smaller 16:9 viewing area, I want the largest screen possible.

What is the biggest size 2.35:1 screen I can put in this room and the recommended seating and throw distances for that specific size? Should I be concerned with hot spotting at the available throw distance, loss of brightness, etc.? I am fine with ranges, but prefer specifics from your own personal experience and preferences. I know viewing tolerances are different from person to person, but I do not want to regret going too small (or too big for that matter). For what it's worth, the currently outlined screen in blue tape from a 12'-6" seating distance last week appeared big to us, now is beginning to look small! lol

What say you?
The StudioTek 130 would be a good choice, as would the very similar Stewart Cima Neve ( I own both ). Where are your speakers going ? I sit 11' from a 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve and about 10' 5" from a 128" diagonal ( 118" wide ) StudioTek 130 screen.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #2383 of 2390 Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The StudioTek 130 would be a good choice, as would the very similar Stewart Cima Neve ( I own both ). Where are your speakers going ? I sit 11' from a 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve and about 10' 5" from a 128" diagonal ( 118" wide ) StudioTek 130 screen.
Hi Craig, thanks for replying.

As it stands now, L/R Fronts will be either on the wall or floor, the Center will be on the wall under screen, the L/R Surround and Front/Rear Atmos speakers will go in the ceiling; due to a slider on one left rear side and lack of wall to the left of the rear wall (opening into kitchen). Seating is about 13'-6" from the screen, throw distance about 16'-4", screen shown in attached drawing is a 125" 2.35:1. The rear wall be covered in some dark acoustic material, the screen will float off it a few inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Projection.png
Views:	38
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1762985  
techjoy is offline  
post #2384 of 2390 Old 11-18-2016, 11:28 AM
DRC
Member
 
DRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Studio Tek 130 G3 versus 100

I need to make a decision on these 2 screens. I will have a JVC DLA RS500, 106 inch diagonal with a 12 foot throw distance. I currently have a Vutec Silverstar with a measured gain of 2.4.Some sparkles on white images, which with my old RS25 did not bother me but with he new projector could bother me.
I did read the AccuCal report and it was mentioned that the 130 did have some sheen. Using Projector Central calculator I would get 49 fl with the 100 and 64 fl with the 130.
I like a brighter image but wanted some feedback on whether the 130 will give me to many sparkles.
Comments?
DRC is offline  
post #2385 of 2390 Old 11-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,827
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I need to make a decision on these 2 screens. I will have a JVC DLA RS500, 106 inch diagonal with a 12 foot throw distance. I currently have a Vutec Silverstar with a measured gain of 2.4.Some sparkles on white images, which with my old RS25 did not bother me but with he new projector could bother me.
I did read the AccuCal report and it was mentioned that the 130 did have some sheen. Using Projector Central calculator I would get 49 fl with the 100 and 64 fl with the 130.
I like a brighter image but wanted some feedback on whether the 130 will give me to many sparkles.
Comments?
Get a sample ! I might have one laying around - PM me. For the record, any screen with gain will have some sheen - the trick is finding the right balance where the pluses of gain outweigh any potential negatives that migh bug you, like sheen in the brightest parts of the picture. The slight sheen I see - rarely, on my ST 130, don't bother me. I prefer a punchy bright picture. The ST 130 gives me that, and enables me to run in low lamp a long time.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #2386 of 2390 Old 11-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pultzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle, Wa, USA
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I am audiophile and a videophile trying to get the best of both worlds with my screen, impossible I know.

My speaker are going to be in front of the screen as they are dipoles. However, ideally I would have a screen which would allow me to put acoustic products (diffusors or absorption) behind the screen in order to treat the front wall.

I have tested every weave/mesh based product that I can get my hands on and to be honest I haven't been too excited about the visual quality. The artifacts are typically lowered sharpness, visible pattern, or sheen/sparkle. I often use my screen for computer work so the drop in sharpness is noticeable.

So I'm considering these options:

1) Forget about treatments and go with Studiotek 100 in a fixed frame. Perhaps build some mobile treatments on stands that I can position during music listening.
2) Go with Studiotek 100 microperf X2 in a fixed frame with treatments behind the screen. Concerns are visible texture due to the holes and I'm not sure how effective the treatments will be behind the screen? I'm mostly interested in 600-4000hz so high frequencies aren't a huge concern.
3) Go with Studiotek 100 in an electric screen which comes down over the treatments. My concern here is finding a way to have a nice black overscan area when aspect ratios are changed.

My plan is for a 2.40:1 screen approx 14-14.5' wide. Sitting distance is around 12 feet.

Thoughts?
Pultzar is offline  
post #2387 of 2390 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0


Just receive My ST 100 165" cinemascope and great thx for this forum for giving me the right knowledge about this great company wish I enjoyed soon with my ST100 and I will pare it with Barco Orion cinemascope and 16 immersive channel driven by trinnov altitude 32
And Triad gold for the speakers




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A7mad78 is offline  
post #2388 of 2390 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member
 
WTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is it possible to purchase only the Stewart screen material(St100 or snomatte) in a lace / grommet style, I'd build my own frame system.

Walter
WTS is online now  
post #2389 of 2390 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Don Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stewart Filmscreen Corporation. USA
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post
Is it possible to purchase only the Stewart screen material(St100 or snomatte) in a lace / grommet style, I'd build my own frame system.
Yes...you can buy just screen with edge binding and grommets. You can download manual on link below. Go to the third from last download , near bottom of page, called, TG manual. Customer supplied frame information starts on page 13.
Hope that helps.

http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/sup...nloads/manuals

Best,
Don

Regards,
Don Stewart
Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/

Last edited by Don Stewart; Yesterday at 09:19 PM.
Don Stewart is offline  
post #2390 of 2390 Old Today, 08:13 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member
 
WTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Don. I assume all screens are available in unperforated screen, just seems like most people talk about acoustically transparent screens on this thread.

So who can provide pricing for this, I'd be interested in pricing for 16:9 -110" & 120" diag.

thks

Walter
WTS is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off