The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 191Likes
post #2461 of 2488 Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Don,

I'm planning a setup in a multi-use room that has light walls, and plan to use a 138" 2.35 screen with a throw distance of 18 feet or so. I have seen you recommend the Graymatte 70 for this type of setup. Given the .7 gain, can you provide a rough estimate of how bright the projector needs to be to have an adequately bright picture?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2488 Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7

First image from My great ST 100 165" cinemascope

What a great image through this screen

Thx Stewart for ur great product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don Stewart likes this.
post #2463 of 2488 Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Liked: 2
So I was doing some reading on Acoustically Transparent Stewart FilmScreens. I have not purchased mine yet but I plan on getting a StudioTek 130 G3. I have a few questions on Stewarts AT material.

• How are the AT Stewart Screens regarded in both audio and video quality? I know the non-AT are highly regarded for visual performance..
  • Would I need to put the speakers at-least 12" back from the screen?
  • I assume the subs can not go behind the screen?
Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. thxs...

Marantz AV7703 : MM8077 : MM7055
JVC DLA-X750R
Klipsch (2) RP-280F : RP-450C : (2) R-115SW : (2) RP-250S : (2) RP150M
OPPO UPD-203

post #2464 of 2488 Old 02-17-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys

I am being asked about the Stewart Grayhawk fabric for DLP; what is the current buzz on customers liking or not liking Grayhawk? I am 99% CRT action, so please advise.
post #2465 of 2488 Old 02-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3249 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Scottsdale View Post
Guys

I am being asked about the Stewart Grayhawk fabric for DLP; what is the current buzz on customers liking or not liking Grayhawk? I am 99% CRT action, so please advise.
Grayhawk is a good material. You should get a sample - any dealer can send you one !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2466 of 2488 Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Say Craig

I am a dealer, I just haven't been involved with lamp-driven projectors. Search "Blendzilla" in the CRT section to see what I mean.
post #2467 of 2488 Old 02-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Say Craig

I am a dealer, I just haven't been involved with lamp-driven projectors. Search "Blendzilla" in the CRT section to see what I mean.
Doh - didn't realize that. I'm not ever in the CRT section - not my forte so to speak !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2468 of 2488 Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Guys

If I were you I'd give Stewart a call direct and ask your questions. They have sales engineers available to help with a selection and answer questions. The Stewart Gray screens, especially the FireHawk and GrayHawk have evolved over time. They were engineered to help with poor contrast and some ambient light situations. I saw in your other thread that you're dealing with some ambient light issues. Stewart has a new "Black" screen called the "Phantom HALR high ambient light rejecting screen" that might address some of your customers problems. Here's a link: http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/phantom

I've owned a FireHawk and now own a StudioTeK 130 and the were/are excellent screens.

I would give them a call with the particulars of the room, screen size, and the projector you're thinking about using and see what they have to say. Here's the telephone number: Stewart Sales Engineer, (800) 762-4999.
post #2469 of 2488 Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 842
For those interested in Stewart screens:

We are holding three different Home Theater Seminars in March, here in Colorado, all featuring Stewart screens - the new Phantom plus the StudioTek130 (we will also have samples of almost the entire line of Stewart materials, including Firehawk, GreyHawk and StudioTek / Snowmatte 100). The seminars are being sponsored by JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, JBL Synthesis, and Revel, with special guests Kris Deering (Sound and Vision Technical Editor / Lead Writer), Gregg Loewen (THX Video Standards Worldwide Instructor and calibrator), Robert Keeler (VP of Sales, Product Trainer for Stewart Filmscreen), and Chris Deutsch (National Sales Trainer - JVC Projectors). Brad Waite and I will be presenting as well. These are educational seminars, NOT sales events, so AVS has kindly allowed me to post about them. Scott Wilkinson wrote up a post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/home-theater...orado-springs/

The JVC RS4500 will be set up on a 156" diagonal 2.40:1 StudioTek130, with the RS620 set up on a 135" 16:9 Phantom.

Both projectors will be featured prominently and will be calibrated by Gregg Loewen (possibly in tandem with Kris Deering). Robert Keeler of Stewart will be there to do a presentation on the Stewart lineup and answer questions.

We'll also be setting up and demoing gear from JBL Synthesis, Revel, and JVC.

Registration is free thru Tuesday the 28th. Seminar dates are March 11th and 12th, Denver, and March 18th Colorado Springs at the Marriott Tech Center and Colorado Springs Marriott, respectively. More info at the link above

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com Home Theater Design john@thescreeningroomav.com
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #2470 of 2488 Old 03-06-2017, 01:14 AM

Liked: 2
hey don,

Can i get a mail id to contact for sales in India or US. I tried mail to the id listed on the site but there seemed to be no response.
post #2471 of 2488 Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Just replaced my 10+ year old Firehawk retractable screen with a new one slightly larger and ST100 material. Is it normal for new screens to have a chemical smell to them? Thanks. SJ
post #2472 of 2488 Old 03-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinav555 View Post
hey don,

Can i get a mail id to contact for sales in India or US. I tried mail to the id listed on the site but there seemed to be no response.
Sorry for the late answer as I have not been viewing AVS much lately. Please contact Thomas Chenong in our Singapore office. He can direct you to our dealers in India.
thomascheong@stewartfilmscreen.com.sg
abinav555 likes this.

Regards,
Don Stewart
Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
post #2473 of 2488 Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Just replaced my 10+ year old Firehawk retractable screen with a new one slightly larger and ST100 material. Is it normal for new screens to have a chemical smell to them? Thanks. SJ
Thank you for purchasing the Snomatte 100 studio reference screen. Snomatte 100 is manufactured with a casting process. The screen material will continue to cure for the first few weeks after installation. The non-toxic smell will dissipate during this period. Snomatte 100 is certified by Green Guard, an organization that test for environmental indoor safety, and is approved for use in elementary schools.
http://greenguard.org/en/index.aspx

Best,
Don

Regards,
Don Stewart
post #2474 of 2488 Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Just to support what Don said, my ST100 screen took 2 weeks or so before I stopped noticing the odor every time I walked in to the room.
Don Stewart likes this.

Life is Lambertian
post #2475 of 2488 Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Thank you for purchasing the Snomatte 100 studio reference screen. Snomatte 100 is manufactured with a casting process. The screen material will continue to cure for the first few weeks after installation. The non-toxic smell will dissipate during this period. Snomatte 100 is certified by Green Guard, an organization that test for environmental indoor safety, and is approved for use in elementary schools.
http://greenguard.org/en/index.aspx

Best,
Don
It is a Studio Tech 100 but probably the same answer? Should I leave it down for a few days or does this matter. Thanks. Steve
post #2476 of 2488 Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
That's like " new car smell " - I love it ! Currently I have to settle for " new projector smell ", as I'm perfectly satisfied with my Stewart screens !
Don Stewart and SJHT like this.

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2477 of 2488 Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Just to support what Don said, my ST100 screen took 2 weeks or so before I stopped noticing the odor every time I walked in to the room.
Thanks for the info. Mine is rolled up. Wonder whether it should stay down and let the odor dissipate. SJ
post #2478 of 2488 Old 03-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Mine is rolled up. Wonder whether it should stay down and let the odor dissipate. SJ
Yes, it will cure faster if exposed to circulating air.

Regards,
Don Stewart
post #2479 of 2488 Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Room treatment for ST100

I am replacing a 2002 Firehawk G1. Choices are ST100 or ST130 (Neve would be a consideration but not available for my existing frame). Goal is to improve image quality and greatly reduce/eliminate the sheen/sparkle/material that is visible in bright areas. JVC RS520 projector. 18' 4" Foot throw. 118" 16:9 screen (with electrimask). Room is around 13 x 18.5 feet (projector behind rear wall). Maybe 16" from top of screen to ceiling. All screen wall area on front wall is black acoustic panels so screen is surrounded by black including the thick velvet boarder from frame.

I have a completely light controlled room (basement cave - no windows) with dark/very dark gray ceiling and very dark blue (midnight blue) walls. I am installing velvet curtains along the side walls out to 6 to 8 feet from screen. I had already wrapped sub and front speakers (L/C/R) with black velvet. Speakers sit below the screen (sub/center) or outside left/right of screen (still mostly below). The issue is the room is narrow so there is only a few feet on either side of the edges of the screen to the wall. There should not be much if any reflection from the back of any of the speakers because the way they are placed but I expect and see it from the sides of the L/R.

On viewing samples all eyes preferred the ST100. Touch more detail and zero of the artifacts I am wanting to avoid.

My concerns are the narrow room, the sides of L/R speaker and the painted ceiling. These are not optimal but I wonder if they are sufficient. Just asking if anyone thinks I will need to do more room treatment or if I should just avoid the ST100 for this setup.

I am very sensitive to the sheen (probably 15 years of upgrading projectors and seeing the sheen get more pronounced) so I want to get the ST100 provided there are no gotchas on my room treatment.

Thanks

Last edited by fingersdlp; 03-20-2017 at 10:19 AM.
post #2480 of 2488 Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM

Firehawk G1 vs ST100 measurement question

Measured Firehawk G1 off the screen using Spyder 5 Pro I was getting 18.5 foot lamberts low lamp and 26.5 high lamp with a 100% full white test pattern.

Sliding ST100 sample material into place I was expecting these numbers to go down because of no gain but they did the opposite. They went from 18.5 to 24.5 on low lamp and from 26.5 to 37 on high lamp. All else was equal - I had it set to run constant measurements and I just slid the sample material in an out of place by hand.

Measuring off the screen requires the Spyder to be at an angle (slight) to the screen about 8 inches away from it. Could this angle explain why a 1.0 gain screen measured higher foot lamberts off the screen or is this a typlical difference between the white and gray screen materials?

Thanks
post #2481 of 2488 Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 522
The angle of incident is the angle of reflection. Think of your projector as a laser pointer and the screen as a mirror, to get the optimal gain the sensor should be placed where the laser pointer reflects and the sensor should be angled towards that reflection. So it is quite possible you were off axis with the sensor and not getting optimal gain.

Anyway, in your room I would go with the ST100. Not other screen with gain will be as artifact free and with your darker wall I don't think you will light up the room much and you won't get a lot of light reflected back to the screen. The ST130 does have some sparkles but not as much as the Firehawk. The Firehawk has a darker base color material with a high gain coating. So while it's overall gain might be the similar, its coating is a higher gain then the ST130. Overall gain doesn't tell all the properties of a screen
post #2482 of 2488 Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
...So while it's overall gain might be the similar, its coating is a higher gain then the ST130. Overall gain doesn't tell all the properties of a screen
Makes sense. Thanks!
post #2483 of 2488 Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
Room treatment for ST100

I am replacing a 2002 Firehawk G1. Choices are ST100 or ST130 (Neve would be a consideration but not available for my existing frame). Goal is to improve image quality and greatly reduce/eliminate the sheen/sparkle/material that is visible in bright areas. JVC RS520 projector. 18' 4" Foot throw. 118" 16:9 screen (with electrimask). Room is around 13 x 18.5 feet (projector behind rear wall). Maybe 16" from top of screen to ceiling. All screen wall area on front wall is black acoustic panels so screen is surrounded by black including the thick velvet boarder from frame.

I have a completely light controlled room (basement cave - no windows) with dark/very dark gray ceiling and very dark blue (midnight blue) walls. I am installing velvet curtains along the side walls out to 6 to 8 feet from screen. I had already wrapped sub and front speakers (L/C/R) with black velvet. Speakers sit below the screen (sub/center) or outside left/right of screen (still mostly below). The issue is the room is narrow so there is only a few feet on either side of the edges of the screen to the wall. There should not be much if any reflection from the back of any of the speakers because the way they are placed but I expect and see it from the sides of the L/R.

On viewing samples all eyes preferred the ST100. Touch more detail and zero of the artifacts I am wanting to avoid.

My concerns are the narrow room, the sides of L/R speaker and the painted ceiling. These are not optimal but I wonder if they are sufficient. Just asking if anyone thinks I will need to do more room treatment or if I should just avoid the ST100 for this setup.

I am very sensitive to the sheen (probably 15 years of upgrading projectors and seeing the sheen get more pronounced) so I want to get the ST100 provided there are no gotchas on my room treatment.

Thanks
Sounds to me like you have treated the most critical parts of the room. Considering you liked the ST100 sample the best, and you have a dark room, I'd say go for it. Use the " flashlight test " to see if there is anything else in your room you could improve, and go from there ( see - "Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) ).

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2484 of 2488 Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Sounds to me like you have treated the most critical parts of the room. Considering you liked the ST100 sample the best, and you have a dark room, I'd say go for it. Use the " flashlight test " to see if there is anything else in your room you could improve, and go from there ( see - "Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) ).
I did venture into the dark zone - that thread gets scary fast and that was why I was wondering if I needed to do more. Thanks for the reply and info!
post #2485 of 2488 Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Is the flashlight test shining a light on walls,etc to see if it reflects back to the screen? Thanks. SJ
post #2486 of 2488 Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Is the flashlight test shining a light on walls,etc to see if it reflects back to the screen? Thanks. SJ
I have heard it described two ways. Stand at screen facing the back wall/projector and shine the light over your shoulder onto the screen and observe the room elements that light up the most. Otherwise just stand at screen and move the light around in front of you to see what are the brightest objects.
post #2487 of 2488 Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
That's the method I use. Stand in the theater with your back to the screen, with a bright flashlight, with all lights off. Shine the flashlight to simulate what the light reflecting off the screen will light up, then see which room items reflect back enough light to light up the screen. Fix those items. I found the beige carpet in our theater to be a big offender, and black carpet really helped -

That's my Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen !

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2488 of 2488 Unread Today, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm changing my setup from 16:9 to 2:35 scope. My existing screen, which I'm very satisfied with, is a Carada 106" diagonal bright white. Which Stewart screen material would be the closest to the Carada BW ? Too bad Carada has gone out of business.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
knobstoneaudio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3