The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 214Likes
post #2551 of 2561 Unread 05-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post
The Studiotek G130 microperf seems to be the reference gold standard and the CIMA seems to be best performance for your buck. Don’t know that the performance increase for G130 warrants large price increase over CIMA. Thoughts, comparisons?

My first row of seating will be 9’7” distance from the screen. I read that the recommended minimum distance from G130 is 10ft, so that you don’t see the perforations on the screen. Is that accurate?

I will be using a dedicated room with controlled lighting, need AT screen and using Epson 5040UB. Looking to get 125" diag. 2:35:1.
I own both a StudioTek 130 and a Cima Neve, but mine are not AT screens. That said, I find the StudioTek 130 to look just a little more " refined " picture wise, and finer grained, when I can see any screen surface at all which is rare ( mostly because I like a really bright picture ).

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2561 Unread 05-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
There are two basic type of AT screens, perforated and woven. Each has its pros and cons and there is no perfect screen for every situation. Here is my opinion and experience. Others may vary.

Perforated Pros:
Better picture quality
A wider variety of screen materials available for different situations. Ambient light rejecting, gain screens, etc.

Perforated Cons:
More audio degradation, needs more EQ
works better if speakers are 8-12" behind screen. Can be placed closer but trades off more audio.

Woven Pros:
Some materials (not all) can be very fine and allow for closer seating distances.
Less audio degradation. EQ might not be needed depending on material
speakers can be closer to screen material without affecting audio as much

Woven Cons:
No gain or ALR materials
decreased picture quality

A videophile won't use an AT screen because whenever you have holes or weave it allows some light to go through it and if light goes through it then you lose some picture quality (not much) compared to a solid screen. An audiophile would never put something in front of his speakers even if it is the equivalent of speaker grill material. Now all this might seem bad but in reality to me an AT screen is the way to go for home theater. The benefits outweigh the trade offs by getting your speakers placed optimally it has a much bigger benefit on sound then the material in front of it, even if it requires some EQ. I'm also willing to sacrifice a little picture quality for a bigger screen with better audio. YMMV.

To answer your question there are some woven materials you can sit closer without seeing the weave. In general I'm not a big fan of screen samples because they are often too small to give a real good idea of the difference in materials like you won't be able to tell hot spotting or uniformity from a 1 foot sample. However, this may be one of those instances where samples might help decide if the perforations or weave will work for your seating distance.

The Cima Perforado is the perforated model. I believe it is the Neve that has been perforated. Don monitors this thread and I'm sure he can tell you the exact specs.
That's a great break down of the info - Thanks
post #2553 of 2561 Unread 05-22-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Yes, I meant the studiotek 130G3. And the CIMA Neve IS perforated as well? Can anyone recommend some other options that might be a better fit for slightly less than 10' viewing distance? Or is this how most AT screen materials are constructed?
I believe the Cima screen with perf is called Perforado. I think it's the neve material but just perfed.

If you have to sit that close, might want to look at a woven material.

Elle Bob pretty much summed it up!

Last edited by Tom Bley; 05-22-2017 at 04:53 PM.

post #2554 of 2561 Unread 05-22-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
If you have to sit that close, might want to look at a woven material.
Can you recommend a good woven AT screen for a room with controlled lighting?
post #2555 of 2561 Unread Yesterday, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 6279 Post(s)
Liked: 4064
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Yes, I meant the studiotek 130G3. And the CIMA Neve IS perforated as well? Can anyone recommend some other options that might be a better fit for slightly less than 10' viewing distance? Or is this how most AT screen materials are constructed?
If wanting to go slightly less than 10' viewing, then you need to be looking at a woven screen, but there are only a few of those that will meet that description. If going to woven, you are going to have to give up gain.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #2556 of 2561 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If wanting to go slightly less than 10' viewing, then you need to be looking at a woven screen, but there are only a few of those that will meet that description. If going to woven, you are going to have to give up gain.
With controlled lighting and Epson 5040UB, that shouldn't be an issue, right? Any woven recommendations that are also AT?

Last edited by Schuyler Bain; Yesterday at 09:26 AM.
post #2557 of 2561 Unread Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Quote:
With controlled lighting and Epson 5040UB, that shouldn't be an issue, right? Any woven recommendations that are also AT?
What about Screen Innovations 5 Series woven? Model No. 5SF125MW.
post #2558 of 2561 Unread Yesterday, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
What about Screen Innovations 5 Series woven? Model No. 5SF125MW.
You do realize your posting in a "Stewart Film Screen thread". That was why I PM'd you. Start a new thread with your questions or talk to Mike Garrett who works sales for AVS and he can get you some samples.
post #2559 of 2561 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM
WLC

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have a Sony 665ES projector and a ten year old 120" Firehawk. We sit 17' from the screen and the projector is ceiling mounted 17' from the screen. The room is very dark, black velvet 7.5' completely surrounding screen into room on all sides and ceiling, with black carpet. We recently placed a sample of the Studiotek 130 against the screen. From up close, the difference in brightness was significant. From the seating area, the difference was negligible. Any opinions?

Last edited by WLC; Today at 04:48 AM.
post #2560 of 2561 Unread Today, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
You do realize your posting in a "Stewart Film Screen thread". That was why I PM'd you. Start a new thread with your questions or talk to Mike Garrett who works sales for AVS and he can get you some samples.
I realize that and was hoping to get feedback compared to the Stewarts that I'm considering. Probably best to start a new thread. Thanks
post #2561 of 2561 Unread Today, 09:14 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
We have a Sony 665ES projector and a ten year old 120" Firehawk. We sit 17' from the screen and the projector is ceiling mounted 17' from the screen. The room is very dark, black velvet 7.5' completely surrounding screen into room on all sides and ceiling, with black carpet. We recently placed a sample of the Studiotek 130 against the screen. From up close, the difference in brightness was significant. From the seating area, the difference was negligible. Any opinions?
I switched from Firehawk to Studiotek 130 a few years ago. If you can treat your room to reduce reflections, blacks will look just as good, and it will be a much brighter / better picture in my opinion.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3