The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 242Likes

post #2581 of 2606 Old 06-21-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Have you had your projector professionally calibrated ? It can make a big difference. Here are screen shots on my Cima Neve from the Blu-ray " The Fall " -

Great color pop from that stunningly original concept film. I bought the Blu ray after renting it some years back. Delightful little girl. The cinematography from her fantasy sequences were astonishing and beautiful. This was high art as far as I was concerned. It looked great on our Stewart/PannyAE4000U combo. Watched again on the Epson 5040, still amazing color pop. This is one that would benefit from a UHD reissue. Cheers!
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2606 Old 06-21-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTeDoGG View Post
Hi guys! I finally got my 128" Firehawk with Luxus Deluxe screen!

I first hung just the frame, as the installation instructions suggest, to check if my mount was level and in the correct position. This didn't work at all because the frame is not very rigid. The top and bottom frame edges are each two pieces, connected near the center. The joint where these connect bends a bit. Maybe Stewart doesn't make frame pieces long enough to be a single piece? My outside screen width is 118.125". I did have my screen shipped to me, but the long pieces were shipped assembled so could have easily been a single piece. If a single piece option is available, I very much wish I had gotten it!

Next I installed the screen material (and then uninstalled it again, since more painting is needed), hoping it would make the frame straighter. It did help a LOT, however the top and bottom edges still aren't quite straight, especially the bottom:

Here is a short video (no camera stabilization is applied so the lines are straight):
https://youtu.be/2eZY1qi9tyI
Is this normal? Distance to the speakers is good left and right, but distances from the bottom screen edge to the speakers below are 0.8", 1.5", and 0.8". Will it change in time as the screen material relaxes a little?

I've never seen anyone's Stewart screen looking like this. Is this normal? I searched and didn't find anyone else talking about it.
That just looks shockingly wrong to me if the camera isn't distorting the bow. My frame for our Stewart is milled aluminum 130" scope screen for 2:35.1 widescreen. The tube that contained the frame was so long it had to be sent freight to our home a couple of weeks before we made the move to Lansing. My friend drove up from Troy to help me assemble. We took our good natured time. The first thing I noticed about the screen kit was the quality of materials was top grade. That frame, once assembled was solid as a rock and true as can be. Mounting it was a new experience but, we took our time, scoured the instructions and carefully assembled the frame and snapped the screen around the huge rectangle. It was impressive as anything I could imagine once mounted and measured and meticulously leveled. It looks as perfect today as it did in April of 2010. Get satisfaction brother. It should look perfect to you or get it replaced post haste. Cheers and good luck in getting this resolved. They're a world class screen builder. Customer service should be world class in any case.
post #2583 of 2606 Old 06-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Forgot to ask but was the packaging damaged in any way? I know the packaging for mine was triple packed like a crate and was solid as a rock. I think I posted a pic earliner in this thread but for sure in my other thread highlighting the arrival and install

Cheers,
Ray

post #2584 of 2606 Old 06-22-2017, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996911 View Post
Forgot to ask but was the packaging damaged in any way? I know the packaging for mine was triple packed like a crate and was solid as a rock. I think I posted a pic earliner in this thread but for sure in my other thread highlighting the arrival and install
The packaging was good, the frame isn't damaged at all. The quality is very good, if it were straight it would be perfect! Since everyone says theirs is straight, I'll figure out what is going on and report back.
post #2585 of 2606 Old 06-22-2017, 04:01 AM

I almost looks like the vertical single pieces are too long and create the exact bow top and bottom. I'm going to go with that as my final answer

Cheers,
Ray
post #2586 of 2606 Old 06-22-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTeDoGG View Post
Oh, haha of course. :facepalm: I used the EZ-mount system.

I was hoping it was something I was doing wrong, but I'll give Stewart a call. Thanks!
I don't know if you tried this but, here it goes. unsnap the screen from the frame and see if the frame doesn't become more true. The screen could have been cut improperly and the longer frame pieces cannot withstand the pull from the overall strength of the fully snapped screen. Anytime I have a failure, I check what my level of expertise allows me to. This is an easy one.
post #2587 of 2606 Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 AM

I don't see how in the world the screen material could bow the metal frame, much less be able to line up the snaps to even achieve that.

Cheers,
Ray
post #2588 of 2606 Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 3760
Quote:
I don't see how in the world the screen material could bow the metal frame, much less be able to line up the snaps to even achieve that.
Neither do I.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2589 of 2606 Old 07-05-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Neither do I.
You're more than likely right. I believe in checking all the boxes when trying to uncover a dilemma. It's wide span of metal. Perhaps there was an oversight in their quality process and this defective unit never should have left the manufacturing facility.
post #2590 of 2606 Old 07-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been in contact with Stewart and their support has been very good. Apparently they only make the top and bottom in two pieces each when requested. Somehow my order got that request, though it isn't clear how/why. I'm also not sure why that request would ever be made, as the resulting screen won't be square. Anyway, the plan is that they will fabricate two braces which will keep the screen square. If that makes the screen square, I'll be happy. That the top and bottom are two pieces isn't noticeable (the black velour hides the seam), so the only thing I lose in the end is time (assuming and hoping the braces solve it).

Last edited by NaTeDoGG; 07-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.
post #2591 of 2606 Old 07-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Dark Edges with a Firehawk G4

I am in the final stages of choosing my screen. This will be a 120 +/- inch screen with a 1.6 TR, viewed from about 11 feet. This is in a loft area, that is moderately light controlled, but gets a fair amount of ambient light in the daytime. It will be either the Tiburon or Firehawk G4. I have samples of both. I have moved them all around the screen on various freeze frame images. I really like the way that the Firehawk makes blacks look, especially with some ambient light. However, whenever I move the sample to the edge of the picture, there is a noticeable darkening, even from the center axis of the screen. When viewed from a seat that is 3-4 feet off center, the sample on the far edge of the screen obviously gets even darker. I realized that this is an inescapable compromise to using a higher gain ALR screen.

I realize that per the standard guidelines, my setup is acceptable for the Firehawk screen. However, my main viewing position is entirely within the 35 degree half gain zone, but my far left and right viewing areas are more like 40 to 45 degrees offset from the far edge.

My question is whether the unavoidable variation in brightness that will occur across the screen is noticeable during viewing? I am thinking that the darkness I am seeing with the samples is primarily due to the small size of the sample piece, which is being placed on a temporary screen consisting of the Carl's white material, which I believe is 1.0 or 1.1 gain. I have also see off angle pictures of the Firehawk like this, that make me think it will be no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G4offaxisviewing.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	2224793  

Last edited by socalsharky; 07-08-2017 at 12:29 PM.
post #2592 of 2606 Old 07-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
I am in the final stages of choosing my screen. This will be a 120 +/- inch screen with a 1.6 TR, viewed from about 11 feet. This is in a loft area, that is moderately light controlled, but gets a fair amount of ambient light in the daytime. It will be either the Tiburon or Firehawk G4. I have samples of both. I have moved them all around the screen on various freeze frame images. I really like the way that the Firehawk makes blacks look, especially with some ambient light. However, whenever I move the sample to the edge of the picture, there is a noticeable darkening, even from the center axis of the screen. When viewed from a seat that is 3-4 feet off center, the sample on the far edge of the screen obviously gets even darker. I realized that this is an inescapable compromise to using a higher gain ALR screen.

I realize that per the standard guidelines, my setup is acceptable for the Firehawk screen. However, my main viewing position is entirely within the 35 degree half gain zone, but my far left and right viewing areas are more like 40 to 45 degrees offset from the far edge.

My question is whether the unavoidable variation in brightness that will occur across the screen is noticeable during viewing? I am thinking that the dankness I am seeing with the samples is primarily due to the small size of the sample piece, which is being placed on a temporary screen consisting of the Carl's white material, which I believe is 1.0 or 1.1 gain. I have also see off angle pictures of the Firehawk like this, that make me think it will be no problem.
Yes...it is very difficult to make educated decision when viewing an 8 by10 inch ALR screen sample, especially against a white background. Obviously from your photo, you will never be viewing the screen that far off axis as your right speaker will be blocking the viewer's sight line. Since you live in Orange County, you are probably within 45 minutes or so from our factory. So the ultimate solution we can offer is to bring your projector and favorite DVD's to the factory and we will set your PJ up at 1.6 times screen width so you can view on a full size screen. If that works for you, we can also give you a tour of the factory and you can see how 40 by 90 foot seamless screen materials are made from scratch.

Best,
Don
996911 and RapalloAV like this.

Regards,
Don Stewart
Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/

Last edited by Don Stewart; 07-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.
post #2593 of 2606 Old 07-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Yes...it is very difficult to make educated decision when viewing an 8 by10 inch ALR screen sample, especially against a white background. Obviously from your photo, you will never be viewing the screen that far off axis as your right speaker will be blocking the viewer's sight line. Since you live in Orange County, you are probably within 45 minutes or so from our factory. So the ultimate solution we can offer is to bring your projector and favorite DVD's to the factory and we will set your PJ up at 1.6 times screen width and you can view on a full size screen. If that works for you, we can also give you a tour of the factory and you can see how 40 by 90 foot seamless screen materials are made from scratch.

Best,
Don
Don--thanks for your comments as well as your time on the phone last week. Just to clarify, that photo is not of my room. It is taken from the Audioholics review of the Firehawk screen. I was just making the point that I don't see any noticeable darkness at the far edge of that image.

I may just take you up on that offer of a factory demo!
Don Stewart likes this.
post #2594 of 2606 Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 AM
PiK

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,
just wanted to give you a heads up. I had ordered Firehawk G4 123" from the Stewart via a local reseller (Poland).
Unfortunately the living room preparation works have been prolonged by almost a year, so finally the reseller received the screen 7 months before it has been installed in my room. During the unpacking installation team noticed that mounting holes were distorted but it was not a big deal. The package was not damaged, so it had to be done during the manufacture.
After the installation has been done, the installer noticed that the screen casing was also distorted - there is 50cm long gap between the casing and the ceiling. As I said, there were no damages to the package. If there was not such a big period before receiving the package from Stewart and installing it, I could be able to fill a complain. Now I can only hope that there is everything OK with the projection material.
Lesson learned: do not order the screen before preparing the room.

post #2595 of 2606 Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Just ordered my Cima Tiburon screen today--115", 2.35:1. Can't wait to get it put up.

It came down to the Tiburon and the Firehawk G4 material. For my room and my taste, I think the Tiburon will be a little better. I liked how images looked on both the Tiburon and Firehawk, but the sparkles on the Firehawk, as well as the narrow viewing cone led me to choose the Tiburon. Saving $1000 helped with the decision as well!

Many thanks to @Don Stewart and @Craig Peer for their help in making the choice and providing samples.
post #2596 of 2606 Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Hi guys,
just wanted to give you a heads up. I had ordered Firehawk G4 123" from the Stewart via a local reseller (Poland).
Unfortunately the living room preparation works have been prolonged by almost a year, so finally the reseller received the screen 7 months before it has been installed in my room. During the unpacking installation team noticed that mounting holes were distorted but it was not a big deal. The package was not damaged, so it had to be done during the manufacture.
After the installation has been done, the installer noticed that the screen casing was also distorted - there is 50cm long gap between the casing and the ceiling. As I said, there were no damages to the package. If there was not such a big period before receiving the package from Stewart and installing it, I could be able to fill a complain. Now I can only hope that there is everything OK with the projection material.
Lesson learned: do not order the screen before preparing the room.
Actually, don't order anything ( projector, receiver, screen, speakers ) until you are ready to install them. You are just burning through your warranty period for no reason.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net

Last edited by Craig Peer; 07-10-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #2597 of 2606 Old 07-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Actually, don't order anything ( projector, receiver, screen, speakers ) until you are ready to install them. You are just burning through your warranty period for no reason.
good advice. made this mistake during my construction project. bought a projector, screen etc. ended up selling it all because the project took much, much longer than anticipated and the equipment stayed in boxes for a very long time. meanwhile all new models had already come out on the projector and receiver etc.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #2598 of 2606 Old 07-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
92" Cima Neve vs. StudioTek100

Hi,

I have a light controlled room, black flat ceilings, dark blue flat walls, 48 sq. ft. velvet panels on the 7' ceiling to absorb reflected light from the screen. Black shag rug on the floor. Not exactly a batcave but pretty darn dark. 9.5' throw from RS620 (shipping this week) on a Elite CineWhite 1.0 gain screen. I think I should have enough brightness that I can use a 1.0 gain screen.

Is this a good room for the StudioTek100 or would the Cima Neve be a better choice? Cost of the ST100 is almost double. Is it worth it in my setup?

Will I notice much difference in picture quality from the CineWhite screen? Currently using an Epson 8350 and I do sometimes "see" the texture of the surface in all-white scenes like the start of "Art of Flight."

Thanks,
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170624_204434245_iOS.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2229977  

Last edited by dgkula; 07-11-2017 at 01:04 PM.
post #2599 of 2606 Old 07-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkula View Post
Hi,

I have a light controlled room, black flat ceilings, dark blue flat walls, 48 sq. ft. velvet panels on the 7' ceiling to absorb reflected light from the screen. Black shag rug on the floor. Not exactly a batcave but pretty darn dark. 9.5' throw from RS620 (shipping this week) on a Elite CineWhite 1.0 gain screen. I think I should have enough brightness that I can use a 1.0 gain screen.

Is this a good room for the StudioTek100 or would the Cima Neve be a better choice? Cost of the ST100 is almost double. Is it worth it in my setup?

Will I notice much difference in picture quality from the CineWhite screen? Currently using an Epson 8350 and I do sometimes "see" the texture of the surface in all-white scenes like the start of "Art of Flight."

Thanks,
David
Both StudioTek 100 and Cima Neve are surface texture free. From your room description and provided photo either screen would be a good match. My suggestion is to contact either Graig or Mike from AVS to get samples and then compare.

Best,
Don

Regards,
Don Stewart

Last edited by Don Stewart; 07-14-2017 at 08:53 AM.
post #2600 of 2606 Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkula View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
David
I'll add the StudioTek 130 G3 screen to Don's recommendations. Shoot me an email.
996911 and Stan-Lee like this.

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2601 of 2606 Old 07-14-2017, 08:57 AM

I'd second that! Love my ST130!!!

Cheers,
Ray
post #2602 of 2606 Old 07-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
I'd second that! Love my ST130!!!
It can certainly produce a sharp picture ! If only I had a better camera for better screen shots ( I have my eye on one ) -

Don Stewart, 996911 and Stan-Lee like this.

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #2603 of 2606 Old 07-15-2017, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post

My question is whether the unavoidable variation in brightness that will occur across the screen is noticeable during viewing? I am thinking that the darkness I am seeing with the samples is primarily due to the small size of the sample piece, which is being placed on a temporary screen consisting of the Carl's white material, which I believe is 1.0 or 1.1 gain. I have also see off angle pictures of the Firehawk like this, that make me think it will be no problem.

I realize you opted for the Tiburon and know you will love it. I have a Firehawk G4. 120" diagonal. PJ is a Sony VPL-VW675ES with 1800 lumens but I have it in the low setting (1200?). Throw is 13'. My screen is in my living room with tons of ambient light and only blackout drapes to block a 20' wide sliding window. Yeah it's about 20 feet wide and ceiling to floor. Anyway, I can certainly attest to the Firehawk G4 providing great whites and blacks in my situation.
Now these 2 photos are only from my iPhone from this morning watching Wimbledon tennis.....with drapes closed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	2238161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	2238169  
Don Stewart likes this.

Last edited by Stan-Lee; 07-15-2017 at 01:47 PM.
post #2604 of 2606 Old Today, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for all the good info in this thread.

I'm posting in the off chance that someone is aware of a Stewart 130, 100, or Cima Neve on display in the Northern VA area. I've done quite a bit of research, read all recommendations, looked at samples, and now have a projector and room so am ready to decide on a screen. I've visited all the local AV stores that are showing projector setups, but none are showing any of the above 3 screens.

I am aware of the ideal uses for each of the 3 screens, but given the investment and my picky eye, I would much prefer to see these screens in use before I make a final decision. Is anyone aware of store that is using one in an active setup? Anything in Northern VA, D.C., or Baltimore would be great. Or even further away for that matter...

thanks,
Dan
post #2605 of 2606 Old Today, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
Thanks for all the good info in this thread.

I'm posting in the off chance that someone is aware of a Stewart 130, 100, or Cima Neve on display in the Northern VA area. I've done quite a bit of research, read all recommendations, looked at samples, and now have a projector and room so am ready to decide on a screen. I've visited all the local AV stores that are showing projector setups, but none are showing any of the above 3 screens.

I am aware of the ideal uses for each of the 3 screens, but given the investment and my picky eye, I would much prefer to see these screens in use before I make a final decision. Is anyone aware of store that is using one in an active setup? Anything in Northern VA, D.C., or Baltimore would be great. Or even further away for that matter...

thanks,
Dan
Thank you for your interest in our products. Probably the best advice I can give is to contact our local factory rep. He has local knowledge of which stores/dealers in his/your territory who have certain screen models on display. Chances are, you will not find all three screen materials lit up in the same store so you may have go to a few.
Here is the info for our HT rep who covers your state.

Nutech Group Marketing

120A Keystone DR
Montgomerville, PA 18936 USA
215-654-1224
trish@techsourcedist.com

Regards,
Don Stewart
post #2606 of 2606 Old Today, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Thank you for your interest in our products. Probably the best advice I can give is to contact our local factory rep. He has local knowledge of which stores/dealers in his/your territory who have certain screen models on display. Chances are, you will not find all three screen materials lit up in the same store so you may have go to a few.
Here is the info for our HT rep who covers your state.[B]

Thanks Don!

Last edited by Danonano; Today at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page