The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #2581 of 2588 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Have you had your projector professionally calibrated ? It can make a big difference. Here are screen shots on my Cima Neve from the Blu-ray " The Fall " -

Great color pop from that stunningly original concept film. I bought the Blu ray after renting it some years back. Delightful little girl. The cinematography from her fantasy sequences were astonishing and beautiful. This was high art as far as I was concerned. It looked great on our Stewart/PannyAE4000U combo. Watched again on the Epson 5040, still amazing color pop. This is one that would benefit from a UHD reissue. Cheers!
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2588 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTeDoGG View Post
Hi guys! I finally got my 128" Firehawk with Luxus Deluxe screen!

I first hung just the frame, as the installation instructions suggest, to check if my mount was level and in the correct position. This didn't work at all because the frame is not very rigid. The top and bottom frame edges are each two pieces, connected near the center. The joint where these connect bends a bit. Maybe Stewart doesn't make frame pieces long enough to be a single piece? My outside screen width is 118.125". I did have my screen shipped to me, but the long pieces were shipped assembled so could have easily been a single piece. If a single piece option is available, I very much wish I had gotten it!

Next I installed the screen material (and then uninstalled it again, since more painting is needed), hoping it would make the frame straighter. It did help a LOT, however the top and bottom edges still aren't quite straight, especially the bottom:

Here is a short video (no camera stabilization is applied so the lines are straight):
https://youtu.be/2eZY1qi9tyI
Is this normal? Distance to the speakers is good left and right, but distances from the bottom screen edge to the speakers below are 0.8", 1.5", and 0.8". Will it change in time as the screen material relaxes a little?

I've never seen anyone's Stewart screen looking like this. Is this normal? I searched and didn't find anyone else talking about it.
That just looks shockingly wrong to me if the camera isn't distorting the bow. My frame for our Stewart is milled aluminum 130" scope screen for 2:35.1 widescreen. The tube that contained the frame was so long it had to be sent freight to our home a couple of weeks before we made the move to Lansing. My friend drove up from Troy to help me assemble. We took our good natured time. The first thing I noticed about the screen kit was the quality of materials was top grade. That frame, once assembled was solid as a rock and true as can be. Mounting it was a new experience but, we took our time, scoured the instructions and carefully assembled the frame and snapped the screen around the huge rectangle. It was impressive as anything I could imagine once mounted and measured and meticulously leveled. It looks as perfect today as it did in April of 2010. Get satisfaction brother. It should look perfect to you or get it replaced post haste. Cheers and good luck in getting this resolved. They're a world class screen builder. Customer service should be world class in any case.
post #2583 of 2588 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Forgot to ask but was the packaging damaged in any way? I know the packaging for mine was triple packed like a crate and was solid as a rock. I think I posted a pic earliner in this thread but for sure in my other thread highlighting the arrival and install

Cheers,
Ray

post #2584 of 2588 Old Today, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996911 View Post
Forgot to ask but was the packaging damaged in any way? I know the packaging for mine was triple packed like a crate and was solid as a rock. I think I posted a pic earliner in this thread but for sure in my other thread highlighting the arrival and install
The packaging was good, the frame isn't damaged at all. The quality is very good, if it were straight it would be perfect! Since everyone says theirs is straight, I'll figure out what is going on and report back.
post #2585 of 2588 Old Today, 04:01 AM

I almost looks like the vertical single pieces are too long and create the exact bow top and bottom. I'm going to go with that as my final answer

Cheers,
Ray
post #2586 of 2588 Old Today, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTeDoGG View Post
Oh, haha of course. :facepalm: I used the EZ-mount system.

I was hoping it was something I was doing wrong, but I'll give Stewart a call. Thanks!
I don't know if you tried this but, here it goes. unsnap the screen from the frame and see if the frame doesn't become more true. The screen could have been cut improperly and the longer frame pieces cannot withstand the pull from the overall strength of the fully snapped screen. Anytime I have a failure, I check what my level of expertise allows me to. This is an easy one.
post #2587 of 2588 Old Today, 11:33 AM

I don't see how in the world the screen material could bow the metal frame, much less be able to line up the snaps to even achieve that.

Cheers,
Ray
post #2588 of 2588 Old Today, 12:32 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked: 3657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996911 View Post
I don't see how in the world the screen material could bow the metal frame, much less be able to line up the snaps to even achieve that.
Neither do I.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3