The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 247Likes

post #2641 of 2653 Old 08-12-2017, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought a 152” wide 2.35 AR microperfed Stewart Ultramatte 150. While colors absolutely pop on the screen, I am sensitive to the screen’s sheen. My dealer sent me two samples to compare before I made my purchase, which were the Studiotek 130 and the Ultramatte 150. At the sample sizes provided, it was extremely difficult to tell the difference between the two samples. I decided to go with the Ultramatte 150 because the sample sizes were so similar and it seemed to offer a little more gain without being too far removed from the Studiotek 130. Well, after owning the screen for three months now and set-up for the past six weeks, I will say the big difference is the sheen coating is a bit extreme on the Ultramatte 150 compared to the Studiotek 130. Don’t get me wrong…I’m not seeing many sparkles, if any at all. It’s just the sheen coating is noticeable when lighter colored images are on the screen. While I enjoy the experience of playing games, watching TV shows and movies on a screen that size, at times, I am taken out of the experience when my eye catches the sheen.

I spoke to my dealer and he asked if it was hot-spotting from the projector. He thought maybe the projector was too close to the screen. The projector is twenty-two feet from the screen, which is far enough from a 152” wide screen. In addition, it’s not hot-spotting because the sheen coating is fairly even throughout the screen.

I based my screen size on a demo room from a Home Theater store here in San Antonio called Bjorn’s. They have quite a few dedicated home theater rooms that are pretty awesome to visit. Their largest room is the one that caught my attention. It has a 155” wide 2.35 AR microperfed Studiotek 130 paired with a Sony 5000ES. Needless to say, the image is gorgeous! The sound system compliments it well too! After seeing this demo room, I figured I would go with a screen of similar size because I have the space in my theater and I loved how immersive the screen size felt.

I’m not writing this to knock the Ultramatte 150 or to speak ill of it. Heck, I own it and it definitely has its place. It’s just that I’ve noticed newer members on the forum asking for a comparison between the Ultramatte 150 and the Studiotek 130 and I was in the same position last year asking the exact same question. Very few people on the forum had much experience with it. And on top of that, there were absolutely no demo rooms available to view the Ultramatte 150 first–hand anywhere near me. I’m sure it’s probably the same for many AVS’ers contemplating this screen. I will say that if I had to the opportunity to do this again after seeing both the Ultramatte 150 and the Studiotek 130 at larger sizes first-hand, I would choose the Studiotek 130. The Studiotek 130 has a great image, less sheen than the Ultramatte 150 and it’s very similar in gain. If you are not very sensitive to sheen or can altogether ignore it, the Ultramatte 150 may be a great screen for you. The colors do pop!

Last edited by Theaterfreak360; 08-12-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2653 Old 08-12-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I just installed a 145" Studiotek 130 microperf after testing both samples including The Ultramatte 150. I decided on the 130 as I could see sheen on the 150 even with the small samples. However I never rushed those tests, I spent days trying so much different material and the bright scenes were a bit of a worry to me on the 150. I really loved the gain from it but I was worried that that sheen might be worse on a larger screen.

However I am over the moon on the 130. Its the best ever screen I have ever ever used, the image is bright, the movies pop and the colours and blacks are better than any other screen I have ever owned, and there has been a few! At first I was a bit worried about the results as this screen is not cheap, but teamed with my JVC X9500 my mouth drops every time I look at the image. I believe the Stewart Studiotek 130 microperf must be one of the very best AT screens on the market today. I have NO regrets now how much I paid for this screen, Im over the moon with the results, its so good I even think about it in bed!!!

On a side note, sometimes when the image is really bright I see a very slight sheen in the centre, but I would be the only one as Im very very fussy about my image, my audience wouldn't know! But I dont care about that as the image is so bright and vibrant with the 130 I can even run on low lamp now with my X9500.

What projector are you using?
Have you tried to lower the lumens if the image is very bright, it might help?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #2643 of 2653 Old 08-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
What projector are you using?
Have you tried to lower the lumens if the image is very bright, it might help?
I'm actually using the exact same projector you have, JVC RS620. I agree...the projector is awesome! You're right about the gain on the screen making the image pop. I had the RS620 and the Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446 calibrated, so the image and color space look fantastic. I just finished watching a movie on Netflix in my theater and I'm still blown away by how good the image looks, even with a streamed movie. Our gigabit internet helps out a bit with that too.

The one thing I will say about this screen is that SDR Rec 2020 looks spectacular! I have to remind myself sometimes that it's a trade off with a screen this large to have to deal with a bit of sheen to get the brightness needed to properly display Rec 2020. There's enough pop on the screen to catch details that a lesser gain screen probably wouldn't be able to display. I haven't had to increase the lamp above low lamp mode. I have tried it in high lamp mode for 3D.

Oh...I almost forgot...3D with this screen looks really really good! I was never much of a 3D fan in the past, but I am now! 3D at home on a high gain screen this large looks amazing.

You're absolutely right about the price we pay for these screens. You definitely want to walk away happy with your purchase.

Last edited by Theaterfreak360; 08-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.

post #2644 of 2653 Old 08-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
I just recieved samples of screens Neve and Tiburon G2. Can't wait to try it with Sony 45es and compare it to Elite pull up screen.

It will be in livingroom set up motorized screen down from ceiling.

Anyone have one of those Stewart screens any preferences or comment how good they are?
have a 133" Cima fixed screen I bought 3 month ago. I love it. I believe Craig Peer from AVS has a motorized Cima version. His setup rocks with dual motorized screens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0572 copy.jpg (1.59 MB, 25 views)
post #2645 of 2653 Old 08-15-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
I hate seeing sparklies or texture at all which is why I went with the Stewart ST100. Initially, I tried out the Da-lite HD Pro 1.1 which had them rather badly - I then went to the 0.9 which had them to a lesser degree, but not until I went with the ST100 was I really satisfied. I've got a 2:35, 9 foot wide screen. I sit back about 10.5 feet. I realize those with larger screens might have limited brightness issues with such material, but darn it's nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room3.jpg (640.2 KB, 17 views)
Stan-Lee likes this.
post #2646 of 2653 Old 08-15-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I hate seeing sparklies or texture at all which is why I went with the Stewart ST100. Initially, I tried out the Da-lite HD Pro 1.1 which had them rather badly - I then went to the 0.9 which had them to a lesser degree, but not until I went with the ST100 was I really satisfied. I've got a 2:35, 9 foot wide screen. I sit back about 10.5 feet. I realize those with larger screens might have limited brightness issues with such material, but darn it's nice.
It can't be overstated how amazing the ST100 is in regards to sparklies, i.e. there's none. Accept no substitute if you're even slightly sensitive to this. Best. Screen. Ever.
SJHT and DavidHir like this.
post #2647 of 2653 Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 6697 Post(s)
Liked: 4381
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by robber616 View Post
Where to buy screen guys ? Thanks
Shoot me a PM and I can give you some options.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #2648 of 2653 Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
It can't be overstated how amazing the ST100 is in regards to sparklies, i.e. there's none. Accept no substitute if you're even slightly sensitive to this. Best. Screen. Ever.
Sheen, sparklies, & texture absolutely bother me, which is why I've decided to go for a 14-ft ST100 (& totally avoid the ST130) paired with my 5000ES in a completely light-controlled room with dark walls, ceiling, & floor - now, this has got to be really good - will know in a month or so....
post #2649 of 2653 Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
Sheen, sparklies, & texture absolutely bother me, which is why I've decided to go for a 14-ft ST100 (& totally avoid the ST130) paired with my 5000ES in a completely light-controlled room with dark walls, ceiling, & floor - now, this has got to be really good - will know in a month or so....
You’re in for an absolute treat.
post #2650 of 2653 Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
With dark walls, ceiling, floor, etc, and light controlled, that should be fantastic! I can say though that the small gain the 130 gets me over the 100 is worth it as I see ZERO sheen or sparkles. But then again, maybe that is b/c mine has the THX microperf treatment and is 152"

Cheers,
Ray
post #2651 of 2653 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
I am amazed how bright my 5000ES is on my 14' ST100 (non-perforated) 2.40:1 screen. Laser at 50 is very bright for either stripped HDR or SDR viewing. With the Panasonic UHD player in HDR mode, laser at 78 produces a very nice image. The 5000 really shines with the ST100 over the ST130. The screen disappears, with no shimmering, sparkles with an added sense of clarity. 3D is not as good though on the ST100 vs the ST130, which isn't a very large concern of mine.
post #2652 of 2653 Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I am amazed how bright my 5000ES is on my 14' ST100 (non-perforated) 2.40:1 screen. Laser at 50 is very bright for either stripped HDR or SDR viewing. With the Panasonic UHD player in HDR mode, laser at 78 produces a very nice image. The 5000 really shines with the ST100 over the ST130. The screen disappears, with no shimmering, sparkles with an added sense of clarity. 3D is not as good though on the ST100 vs the ST130, which isn't a very large concern of mine.
I'm also going for the non-perforated ST100 screen. When you say 3D is not as good as on the ST130, I presume you're referring to a discernible brightness loss? As for me, I've been projecting on a wall for the last 5 years (!) - never had a screen. Right now, I'm projecting on a wall painted with the specially formulated HT paint from GooScreens (formulated to be the equivalent of 1.3 gain on a textured wall) - and there's texture, shimmering, sparklies, etc. (observed for the first time after I switched from 1100ES to 5000ES) But 3D is fantastic! So, I suppose there would be loss of brightness but maybe not that bad - I wasn't very unhappy with the 3D output even from the low-lumen 1100ES.
post #2653 of 2653 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Hard to tell if it's merely brightness loss or is it something additional as well. Such as the different light dispersion pattern that occurs with a unity gain screen (omnidirectional). I also noticed much more sparkles and shimmering on the 130 with the 5000 vs my prior 1100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page