AVS Forum banner

The Official Stewart Film Screen thread.

773K views 5K replies 935 participants last post by  Rehan 
#1 ·
Post all your questions and answers related to Stewart to this thread.

Please, no sales or marketing. It will be removed.

#3,108 ·
The larger holes are more for commercial theaters and not the home. Most of the perf'd screens I have seen or used in the professional realm I wouldn't use at home. The microperf at 12 feet and further you won't notice at all. From 10-12 feet most will not notice but on very bright scenes some might notice. With Stewart you spec the screen with the model projector you are using and they make sure moire is not a problem.

#3,110 ·
Looking to get a stewart firehawk balon screen. I would like to watch in some ambient light as well as with blackout curtains when needed. Does anyone have experience or opinions on this screen?
To be honest, I have had the fire hawk for 5 years now, and with 4k and bright content, the material is very bothersome. It was bearable with 1080p, and you could mostly ignore it. Now I hate it. It's very distracting from the otherwise really impressive picture my Sony puts out. All the advice I received was that my room would be too bright and I'd lose light from the white walls and light coming in from the window. I dont think it would have been anywhere near as bad based on recently comparing samples in the room for the non fire hawk and brighter Stewart offerings. Also, the picture is overall darker which in 4k and HDR content again is EVEN darker with the fire hawk. This is true, even with HDR turned off. If your room is facing the sun and is directly exposed with lots of windows, maybe, but if not, in would suggest looking at alternatives.

#3,113 ·
The projector that came with our house just died, and in the process of figuring out how to replace that also got the idea of replacing our current screen (that also came with the house). I had no idea until I looked it up that Stewart screens would cost that much!!!!

It's a Stewart 92" Firehawk (80 x 45, so 16:9 ratio) - I really don't know much about AV stuff, just trying to figure out stuff here and there. If I were to replace it with a Silver Ticket screen I see on Amazon for a couple of hundred dollars, would the size increase (was looking at 120 or 135") outweight any benefits of the much more expensive current screen? It's in a theater room with minimal ambient light (and we never use this during daylight hours anyways).

And is it worth trying to sell the old screen, or should I just donate it somewhere?

Attachments

#3,114 ·
A better screen will give a better picture and it is easily noticeable if you ever compare full screens and not just samples. That being said you also need a screen that is suited for your application. if you don't have ambient light a white based screen with maybe a little gain to combat some wall and ceiling reflections would be a better choice. The Firehawk is definitely better for mild ambient light. I wouldn't go too big, stuffing your speakers in corners and the center on the floor is not a good formula for good sound. Acoustically transparent screens are usually better solutions for larger screens.

If you didn't want to go bigger I would replace the Stewart material with one of their white materials but that would still be considerably more expensive than a silver ticket screen so budget may need to be considered. That screen still has value and I bet you could sell it locally and make enough to pay for a Silver ticket screen or use it towards a Stewart Cima with Neve material. it is not as expensive as your screen but still quite a bit more than a silver ticket but it is in my opinion one of the better white screens out there and a bargain for the performance it offers.

#3,118 ·
Does anyone here have the Balón Borderless screen? I’m interested in getting one of those but haven’t seen much information about it. I was looking for some opinions and pictures of the edges, side view and mount. I was also considering the LuminEsse, not sure if there would be any advantage of one vs the other. This will be mounted on a velvet covered wall so I don’t really need a border but I wasn’t sure how the edgeless screen would look vs having a very small edge. Thanks.

#3,120 ·
Shipping Lead time?

What is the current approximate production lead time for a custom Stewart screen?

In other words, from date a screen is ordered from a Stewart dealer, approximately how long currently before the screen will ship?

#3,121 ·
What is the current approximate production lead time for a custom Stewart screen?

In other words, from date a screen is ordered from a Stewart dealer, approximately how long currently before the screen will ship?
Size and model you are looking at?

#3,128 ·
Don,
I’m looking at the new Director’s Choice for my theater. I have 179” width between studs. I understand with 5” frame on the L/R it would have 19” depth. I have a baffle wall- would that mean that the baffle wall would need to be more than 19 inches away from the screen? Just trying to understand dimensions and whether I’ll have to redo my baffle wall.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3,129 ·
Joined the Stewart Screen family this week and replaced my 138" 2.35:1 Elite Screen with a 138" 2.35:1 Cima Neve screen. Had one little hiccup as the bolts to attach the frame pieces were mistakenly left out but Mike from AVScience (thanks Mike!) had Stewart overnight them to me and all is well in the world. The packaging itself was the most thorough and meticulously packaged item I think I have ever received. The frame itself is much sturdier and higher quality than my Elite Screen, mounting was much easier and I really love the snaps for attaching the screen itself. And of course the screen itself looks magnificent. The image is a touch brighter, feels more focused, and details appear sharper. A really worthwhile upgrade to pair with my RS3000 and Paladin DCR.

Reactions: Don Stewart
#3,133 ·
ALR screen

Having trouble deciding on a screen. About to purchase an nx9 and want a ALR screen to go with it. I want to get a 138-140 inch 2:35.1 screen and my throw from the end of the nx9 will be ~180 inches. I was Looking at the FireHawk screen, however, you need 1.6x width of your screen so the next best looks like a greyhawk screen as the min. throw is 1.3. I can control light from windows but my walls are white - I will be adding some velvet on the walls around the screen. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks much!

#3,135 ·
Angle of Perforations for Microperf X2 THX Ultra Screen

Hi

We currently have a Stewart Firehawk SST 16x9 110" screen which I use with a Marantz 15-S1 1080P DLP projector.

This combination has served us really well since we installed it in 2007. Our theater seats are about 18 feet from the screen.

We are thinking of doing some changes and we are thinking of going to an acoustically transparent screen so we can get a larger image and also changing the projector to a 2160P resolution.

We would want to use a Stewart AT screen for this change but I have a question about the perforations in the Stewart screens.

I have been told that with a Stewart AT screen you need to specify the projector that you intend to use so the perforations can be placed at a certain angle depending on the light source that projector uses.

Right now we are look at projectors with three different types of light sources which are (a) Traditional Lamp (b) Laser and (c) HLD LED (Philips Color Spark)

Is this true that the perforations are placed at different angles with the Stewart Microperf X2 THX Ultra screens depending on the light source?

Thanks for any help.

#3,136 ·
Hi

We currently have a Stewart Firehawk SST 16x9 110" screen which I use with a Marantz 15-S1 1080P DLP projector.

This combination has served us really well since we installed it in 2007. Our theater seats are about 18 feet from the screen.

We are thinking of doing some changes and we are thinking of going to an acoustically transparent screen so we can get a larger image and also changing the projector to a 2160P resolution.

We would want to use a Stewart AT screen for this change but I have a question about the perforations in the Stewart screens.

I have been told that with a Stewart AT screen you need to specify the projector that you intend to use so the perforations can be placed at a certain angle depending on the light source that projector uses.

Right now we are look at projectors with three different types of light sources which are (a) Traditional Lamp (b) Laser and (c) HLD LED (Philips Color Spark)

Is this true that the perforations are placed at different angles with the Stewart Microperf X2 THX Ultra screens depending on the light source?

Thanks for any help.
MMC57,
Yes we request projector information for micro-perf screens. We consult a table of values from surveys we do with varying projector types, tested from very small image widths, to widths where the projector runs out of light. In years past, with lots more evident pixel structure on the screen, 720, 768 types etc., it was sort of complex. These days many projectors have so little pixel structure that they work perfectly with the perf. But some engine types do interact, and we manage that. As a matter of policy we rotate all screens to the most required degree, to make them future proof, for the event that someone changes projector type down the road.
The basis of the need for rotation,however, is not the illuminant, be it Xenon, Laser, Mercury etc. It is the imaging engine type, LCD, DLP, SXRD, LCOS etc. which gives us the cue to rotate. This works well and the only moire issues we have these days are when some folks with fairly large, older screens, prior to our rotation program, change into certain projectors. We are good at predicting results and we work with this every day.
Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen

#3,141 ·
Neve vs ST100 vs ST130

I have a new JVC RS2000 in a light controlled HT. I currently have a Da-lite 110” HCCV screen that I’m looking to replace. What are the pros and cons on the Neve vs ST100 vs ST130 in 110”.

I realize there is a fairly big pice difference. I’m willing to pay extra for higher a higher quality screen but don’t want to go overboard. Recommendations? Thanks.

#3,142 ·
I have a new JVC RS2000 in a light controlled HT. I currently have a Da-lite 110” HCCV screen that I’m looking to replace. What are the pros and cons on the Neve vs ST100 vs ST130 in 110”.

I realize there is a fairly big pice difference. I’m willing to pay extra for higher a higher quality screen but don’t want to go overboard. Recommendations? Thanks.
The Neve would be a big improvement. I had an HCCV screen. The Neve will have no screen structure / texture in comparison, be brighter, and have next to no surface sheen in comparison. I replaced my HCCV with the Cima Neve over 5 years ago. Still couldn't be happier ! Screen shots -

Attachments

#3,155 ·
I received a screen sample, is it the same on both sides? One side does have a label that says "NEVE" but I don't really see a difference from front or back?

How should I stick this 8x11 screen sample to my existing screen without damaging my screen? I think it will be tough to judge quality with this small sample, is there a best practice on where to position it?

#3,157 ·
For those who may be interested, we just went live with an all completely brand new, clean slate design website. Please come and visit when you get a chance.
Please click on link on my signature below.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Don

Reactions: woodhead2
#3,158 ·
Hello All (and Don!)

I'm likely going to get a Stewart Studiotek 130 for my RS500 projector. The throw distance is limited to about 12'2" so I'm going considering a 118" diag screen (16:9).

Note: I _might_ go down to a 115" to help future proof things because the newer 4k JVC projectors have a slightly longer throw.

The room is very dark and light controlled.

The projector will be mounted on the ceiling and end up at the top of the screen more or less. Is this a cause for any concern?

Now, I've got a 2nd projector that I use to play games (that RS500 is terrible for games, IMHO). This older Sony HW30ES will be mounted on the side of the RS500 and I'll use horizontal lens shift. I haven't mounted it yet, but I expect it to be 3' off center. How will this impact the ST 130 viewing?

I'm ok with compromises when using the HW30ES but I'd like to try and understand them before I'm surprised.

Thanks!

... Altan
www.aaarpinball.coim

#3,159 · (Edited)
Hello All (and Don!)

I'm likely going to get a Stewart Studiotek 130 for my RS500 projector. The throw distance is limited to about 12'2" so I'm going considering a 118" diag screen (16:9).

Note: I _might_ go down to a 115" to help future proof things because the newer 4k JVC projectors have a slightly longer throw.

The room is very dark and light controlled.

The projector will be mounted on the ceiling and end up at the top of the screen more or less. Is this a cause for any concern?

Now, I've got a 2nd projector that I use to play games (that RS500 is terrible for games, IMHO). This older Sony HW30ES will be mounted on the side of the RS500 and I'll use horizontal lens shift. I haven't mounted it yet, but I expect it to be 3' off center. How will this impact the ST 130 viewing?

I'm ok with compromises when using the HW30ES but I'd like to try and understand them before I'm surprised.

Thanks!

... Altan
www.aaarpinball.coim
Hi Alton,
The vertical mounting positions of the projectors are fine near the top of the screen frame. In fact, that is the sweet spot for mounting on a positive gain angular reflective screen. For the HW30ES PJ being mounted at some degrees of the screen's center line, it will not be a problem in your case for gaming. The StudioTek 130 has a very wide Half Gain Angle out at 80 degrees. It simply means that the "slightly" brightest seat will be about, "two seats over" on the opposite side of center screen from where the HW30 is mounted. This will be very difficult to detect with the naked eye, especially when projecting the very saturated images as found with CG gaming content. That said, there will be no unpleasant surprises with the set up you describe above. Hope that helps.

Best Regards.
Don

Edit: For optical spec sheet for ST130 click on link then scroll down. https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-130-g3

#3,162 ·
Hi, a post just to say thanks to Stewart for their excellent screen and service.

I live in Canada and bought a Cima Neve 138 inch from my local dealer. The shipping was fast for a made in USA screen. I was also impress by the packaging. It’s the best package I ever received. The screen and frame are so well pack and so well protect that even for long ride like US to Canada I am not afraid of any damage... It is clear that some peoples have put times and thinking on that matter and it’s work. Also the quality of the packaging is the best. When you buy a Stewart you buy the best and the packaging scream quality.

As for the assembly, it was so easy, the instruction are simple and everything just go easy and fast. The manual is really well done. Once again the notation of different part is well done, simple, easy to follow and like the packaging, some people clearly have put times and thinking to make this fast and simple. Stewart is a mature business that have a long time experience in screen and it shows.

As for the screen material, the protection in the package for the material it’s almost crazy. Crazy good! The material is roll in a separate tube and also there’s a foam protection all hover it. Again, perfect.

Last but not least, the performance of the Cima Neve is just incredible. The added gain make my JVC NX5 really shine. Now my color are vivid, white is white and HDR as never look that good.

So yes I am very satisfied of Stewart screen. Agree they are not the cheapest around but everything is well think and the performance top notch.

Thanks Stewart for making that quality Screen and thanks to your team for all the hard work you put in the details and the quality.

We live in a world where cheap product rules and it’s harder and harder for good quality company to survive. They have to work very hard to be able to compete.

Please continue your good work, we need company and teams like yours...

#3,163 ·
Anyone in the Dallas area know of a local dealer? When I go to the Stewart website it only lists 2 in Texas and they are in Austin and near Houston.
Also, Is the Balon Borderless a good screen for 2:35 ratio? Not sure if you need a little bit of border to help with parts of the image bleeding over.

#3,164 ·
Actually, what you saw on our website for the Texas area is the listing of our residential factory rep who manages all the local retail dealers in your region.
Please give Elite Pro a call at 281 973-9991. They can match you up with several dealers in your local area.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Don