AVS Forum banner

The Official Stewart Film Screen thread.

773K views 5K replies 935 participants last post by  Rehan 
#1 ·
Post all your questions and answers related to Stewart to this thread.

Please, no sales or marketing. It will be removed.

#3,165 ·
I’m planning on a new cinemascope screen and narrowed it down to Balon Borderless or Wallscreen 1.5. I’m leaning towards the former do that little extra size but have not come across much reviews on it.

Anyone that with a Balon Borderless, would you purchase again?

Also, is the LED kit worth getting?

#3,166 ·
I have a 130” diagonal 2.4:1 Balón Borderless, I’m happy with my purchase and I think I would buy it again. I chose the borderless screen to maximize my available space. I was upgrading from an older Carada CCW 112”, the new screen ended up being about the same height, maybe even slightly shorter and quite a bit wider.

The screen arrived in a box as long as the screen, Stewart’s packaging was pretty amazing. The frame was easy to put together, it took a little effort to snap the screen onto the frame and I would have preferred a single wall mounting bracket instead of 2 but in my case it needed a back brace in the middle.

The screen is great but I do have a velvet covered wall behind it, not sure if I would choose it otherwise. And of course the ST100 material is excellent. Overall I’m pretty happy with this screen.

I did not get the LED kit as I would probably never use it.

#3,173 · (Edited)
My system has changed and it has been quite some time since I have posted pics.
NOTE #1 : I do not have a room large enough in my townhome for a nice theater.
NOTE #2 - I am female. Not male. I like audio and video about the same. Both are important to me.

I now have a StudioTek100. I still have a 120" SNDQ frame. (I started out with a FireHawk G3, then a G4, which I still have but they are rolled up currently behind the couch in livingroom)
I also went with a Sony VPL-VW675es Projector. https://hometheaterreview.com/-sony-vpl-675es-4k-sxrd-projector-reviewed/
I used to have a JVC projector. My throw distance is barely 13 feet from the lens to the screen.

I could not be happier! (I think!)

I do not have a dedicated theater room. My theater is in my living room, which has white walls, white carpeting, etc. The house came this way when I purchased it. I have yet to change that! Light coming from everywhere. All the no-no's for a home theater. I even have a giant picture window that I have to block with thick, dark drapes.

Guess what? It works. If I can do this, anyone can put a theater in their home and you don't need a dedicated black out room. I am proof.

Photo attached were taken with my Google Pixel 3XL:
- gaming in the afternoon. Not much light control. but some.
- evening movie watching. almost full light control. (Aquaman photo and GOT screenshot)
- The picture with the letterbox format and the boat is in the afternoon with some light in the room. You can tell, because you can see the wall.
- The golf photo is obviously in the afternoon with drapes partially open. Not the best image, but it IS still possible to watch something with ambient light. Amazing!

In the beginning of starting the theater-like room, everyone said get a FireHawk. And it is perfect for this room. We just decided that since we watch stuff 98% at night and getting a new brighter projector, we don't really need the FireHawk.

Attachments

#3,176 ·
My system has changed and it has been quite some time since I have posted pics.
NOTE #1 : I do not have a room large enough in my townhome for a nice theater.
NOTE #2 - I am female. Not male. I like audio and video about the same. Both are important to me.

I now have a StudioTek100. I still have a 120" SNDQ frame. (I started out with a FireHawk G3, then a G4, which I still have but they are rolled up currently behind the couch in livingroom)
I also went with a Sony VPL-VW675es Projector. https://hometheaterreview.com/-sony-vpl-675es-4k-sxrd-projector-reviewed/
I used to have a JVC projector. My throw distance is 13.5 feet from the lens to the screen.

I could not be happier! (I think!)

I do not have a dedicated theater room. My theater is in my living room, which has white walls, white carpeting, etc. Light coming from everywhere. All the no-no's for a home theater. I even have a giant picture window that I have to block with thick, dark drapes.

Guess what? It works. If I can do this, anyone can put a theater in their home and you don't need a dedicated black out room. I am proof.

Photo attached were taken with my Google Pixel 3XL:
- gaming in the afternoon. Not much light control. but some.
- evening movie watching. almost full light control. (Aquaman photo and GOT screenshot)
- The picture with the letterbox format and the boat is in the afternoon with some light in the room. You can tell, because you can see the wall.
- The golf photo is obviously in the afternoon with drapes partially open. Not the best image, but it IS still possible to watch something with ambient light. Amazing!

In the beginning of starting the theater-like room, everyone said get a FireHawk. And it is perfect for this room. We just decided that since we watch stuff 98% at night and getting a new brighter projector, we don't really need the FireHawk.
Wow, nice setup you got there! Your review of the ST100 in that environment and with the equipment upfront is positive to hear for anyone in doubt that the ST100 needs a completely blacked out room.

Reactions: Stan-Lee
#3,178 ·
Hi Fargus,

The "Luxus Deluxe" is a fixed wall mounted screen and frame.
For below ceiling mount retractable screen models, you can choose between the Luxus retractable, the Cabaret, and the Cima below ceiling mount. All models are tab tension.

Hope that helps,
Don

Reactions: Fargus777
#3,179 ·
I am considering upgrading from a Severtson to a Stewart ST130. The Severtson is pretty good but with the NX7 I feel like there is quite a bit more clarity and highlight detail with HDR to be had with a better screen (also the sparkles on animated movies/brighter patches drive me nuts).

Can anyone recommend a Canadian dealer (I am in Saskatchewan) that could send samples? I would like to see the Neve as well. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,184 ·
Cima Neve 120” Tab Tension Electric

Hi folks...my understanding is Stewart has 115” and 125” versions of the Cima Neve Tab tensioned electric drop down...is 120” a custom build and therefore more $$ or will it fall in between the pricing of the 115” and 125”?

Also, can u get the motorized version with black casing or does it only ship with white casing? Thanks folks...

#3,185 ·
Hi folks...my understanding is Stewart has 115” and 125” versions of the Cima Neve Tab tensioned electric drop down...is 120” a custom build and therefore more $$ or will it fall in between the pricing of the 115” and 125”?

Also, can u get the motorized version with black casing or does it only ship with white casing? Thanks folks...

The Cima Neve only comes in fixed sizes. And despite asking for black cases, only a white case. If you need a custom size, get a StudioTek 130. Then you can also get a black case.

#3,197 ·
Looking forward to getting my Baylon Borderless.

Can anyone recommend what product/material would be best to surround the frame from overscan? I read velvet is best but the sticker ones available on amazon tend to be of low quality and even can transfer color/fibres which i would not want near my $$$ screen.

Thanks.

#3,200 ·
Hello, I recently upgraded my projector to an NX7 and the quality of the image has made me want to upgrade my screen as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I have a 16:9, 106" (92x52) Severtson screen purchased in 2010. The picture is very good for most things - though sparkles are an issue in bright scenes and especially animated movies. My room is fully light controlled with black ceiling and medium brown walls.

With my throw distance (138") the biggest screen I can fit would be a 116.5" (103x54.5), 17:9 aspect ratio. 80% of viewing is standard def Bluray, 15% UHD, 5% 3D. There will be a shift towards more UHD as more titles become available. I am strongly considering the ST-130 or possibly the ST-100, just waiting on samples.

Is there any downside to a 17:9 aspect ratio other than side black bars on 16:9 content?
Any downside to maximizing the screen size to match the projector's throw (leaving 1" buffer around the perimeter)?
Are sparkles to be expected still on the ST-130? Is it worth changing the screen for the extra foot of width? Thanks in advance.

#3,203 ·
I have had a Stewart studiotek 130 100 inch diagonal for about 16 years. I started out with a Runco 720P DLP and then on to an Epson 6020. I am now due to upgrade to a 4K projector. I also want to upgrade to a bigger screen and have it masking.

Question to you experts out there:

1. Has Stewart screen upgraded their studiotek 130 screens in the last 16 years?
(It has been an amazing screen but I was curious if anything has been changed)

2. Can anyone comment on the masking screens by Stewart? I read through the whole thread and did not see any comments about the masking screens. I know they are 3-4 X more expensive. Was it worth it? Because my first Stewart screen performed so well and so long I am trying to justify the purchase! I know Seymour makes a way less expensive masking glacier white screen that could be comparable possibly?

I am a fan of Stewart. Based on the quality of Stewart screens this could be my last screen but definitely not my last projector!
So, I am leaning toward the Stewart studiotek 130 electric masking screen. Any input or comments about the electric masking screens would be helpful. Thanks!

#3,205 ·
I have had a Stewart studiotek 130 100 inch diagonal for about 16 years. I started out with a Runco 720P DLP and then on to an Epson 6020. I am now due to upgrade to a 4K projector. I also want to upgrade to a bigger screen and have it masking.

Question to you experts out there:

1. Has Stewart screen upgraded their studiotek 130 screens in the last 16 years?
(It has been an amazing screen but I was curious if anything has been changed)

2. Can anyone comment on the masking screens by Stewart? I read through the whole thread and did not see any comments about the masking screens. I know they are 3-4 X more expensive. Was it worth it? Because my first Stewart screen performed so well and so long I am trying to justify the purchase! I know Seymour makes a way less expensive masking glacier white screen that could be comparable possibly?

I am a fan of Stewart. Based on the quality of Stewart screens this could be my last screen but definitely not my last projector!
So, I am leaning toward the Stewart studiotek 130 electric masking screen. Any input or comments about the electric masking screens would be helpful
. Thanks!
I believe the StudioTek 130 has been refined a few times. I have a current sample here if you want one to compare to yours - PM or email me. As for the masking screens, what's not to like ? I've only owned Stewart electric screens, but the masking screens are top notch too.

#3,204 ·
I don't know if they have made enhancements to the 130, but I have had mine for 20 years with 8 different projectors and the picture keeps improving as the projectors get better. Awesome purchase for me.

#3,206 ·
I’m really interested in a UST projector, particularly the Optoma P1. I do have some concerns regarding UST screens, not so much as to ambient light, but viewing angles and a white ceiling. What are best Stewart screen options for me and what should I expect as far as maximum viewing angle without to much loss in quality. I’d like to have a 110” to 120” screen.

#3,216 ·
Is there anyway to add masking to a Stewart retractable screen? Was never given the option when I ordered. Have a 110” 16:9 ST100 as we use our theater for lots of sports and gaming in addition to movies. I was thinking of adding a roller shade in front of the screen housing (with black material) as the entire mechanism is completely hidden behind a soffit so you wouldn’t see it. Plenty of room to add an electric roller. Since I have a Lumagen Pro, I can shift the entire image down to the bottom of the current screen (for 2.35 material) and therefore would just need to mask the top. I doubt Stewart sells anything, so may need to go DIY if I decide to pursue. Thanks. SJ

#3,217 ·
Is there anyway to add masking to a Stewart retractable screen? Was never given the option when I ordered. Have a 110” 16:9 ST100 as we use our theater for lots of sports and gaming in addition to movies. I was thinking of adding a roller shade in front of the screen housing (with black material) as the entire mechanism is completely hidden behind a soffit so you wouldn’t see it. Plenty of room to add an electric roller. Since I have a Lumagen Pro, I can shift the entire image down to the bottom of the current screen (for 2.35 material) and therefore would just need to mask the top. I doubt Stewart sells anything, so may need to go DIY if I decide to pursue. Thanks. SJ
No, you can't add masking. And they are quite a bit more money. Which is one reason I have 2 electric screens !

#3,218 ·
I'm surprised that companies don't sell a simple drop down roller with just screen masking. Guess I will look around. Likely could be easily built with an electric roller with the appropriate material. Wonder if you can purchase the same material that Stewart uses on their screens. It looks great on mine. Don't have room for another screen like you! SJ

#3,219 · (Edited)
Baylon Borderless New Screen Purchase

After some months of extensive research into such an important HT component as the screen, I decided to take the plunge and significant investment over other screen options into Stewart Screens.

I decided to go with StudioTek 100 over the trusted StudioTek 130G3 with some adjustments to the lighting in my theatre. I finally received my custom 130" diagonal 2:40:1 Baylon Borderless product after a grueling +3wks wait.

I was excited to put the screen together this Labour day long weekend and finally sit back and cap the project off with a nice movie with the family. Started to assemble the frame and i could NOT locate the bolts that attach the framing members together! I cant believe something as important as the fastening screws would be missed as part of Stewart's QA, but things do happen. I couldnt help but also notice even some areas of the frame where screws would get assembled appear to be previously been fastened. The black paint appears to be ingrained with previous assemblers work.

I never had an issue with any of my products until today, so really bummed i have to postpone the viewing party and tell my younger kids that its a no go . :(

I have emailed the support folks over at Stewart so hopefully they can resolve this and another item i had ASAP.

#3,220 ·
After some months of extensive research into such an important HT component as the screen, I decided to take the plunge and significant investment over other screen options into Stewart Screens.

I decided to go with StudioTek 100 over the trusted StudioTek 130G3 with some adjustments to the lighting in my theatre. I finally received my custom 130" diagonal 2:40:1 Baylon Borderless product after a grueling +3wks wait.

I was excited to put the screen together this Labour day long weekend and finally sit back and cap the project off with a nice movie with the family. Started to assemble the frame and i could NOT locate the bolts that attach the framing members together! I cant believe something as important as the fastening screws would be missed as part of Stewart's QA, but things do happen. I couldnt help but also notice even some areas of the frame where screws would get assembled appear to be previously been fastened. The black paint appears to be ingrained with previous assemblers work.

I never had an issue with any of my products until today, so really bummed i have to postpone the viewing party and tell my younger kids that its a no go . :(

I have emailed the support folks over at Stewart so hopefully they can resolve this and another item i had ASAP.
I have the same screen and I’m surprised you have anything missing, I was amazed at the quality of packaging and all the materials when I received mine. All the screws needed to assemble the frame were already in place, just needed to be removed to connect the pieces and then screwed back in. Hope you get it resolved quickly, it’s a great screen.

#3,223 ·
Is the black mask material on the Stewart Cima AC line AT? Looking to install one with a 12" drop and the center channel could potentially be behind the mask if it's AT.
On the Stewart Cima line of retractable screens, when ordering with the AT option, the black screen drop between the housing and top of the viewing area is also AT.
On Stewart's Premium screens, retractable designs can be ordered as follows. AT on black drop area only, or AT in viewing area only, or AT on both viewing area and black drop.

Hope that helps.

Don

#3,226 ·
Resizing or adding perf to existing Stewart Screen

I'm looking to buy a used Stewart Screen, 140" 2.35:1, for a good price. I actually need it a little smaller. Anyone know if I can send it back to Stewart and have them adjust the size for me and send it back?

Second, is it possible to add the micro-perf to add acoustical transparency? I assume the answer is no, that they perf larger sheets and then cut down. But thought I'd ask.

I need something more in the 125" to 130" diagonal range in a 2.35 ratio, or perhaps even going to a 2.0 ratio.

Maybe someone from Stewart is watching this thread.

#3,227 ·
I'm looking to buy a used Stewart Screen, 140" 2.35:1, for a good price. I actually need it a little smaller. Anyone know if I can send it back to Stewart and have them adjust the size for me and send it back?

Second, is it possible to add the micro-perf to add acoustical transparency? I assume the answer is no, that they perf larger sheets and then cut down. But thought I'd ask.

I need something more in the 125" to 130" diagonal range in a 2.35 ratio, or perhaps even going to a 2.0 ratio.

Maybe someone from Stewart is watching this thread.

I doubt that it would ( if they can do it ) wind up costing less than a new screen by the time you are finished. Better to find a used screen the size you need to begin with.

#3,228 ·
Separate question. Anyone actually have a measurement for screen gain off the first generation Stewart firehawk? I watch in a fairly light controlled environment, as far as light sources. I haven’t tried to treat my viewing area with black matte surfaces. Normal basement family room environment. I’m wondering if the standard studiotek 100 or 130 would still product the same black levels and contrast and pop as this original firehawk material. I know it’s the reference standard, but still curious. So as I consider switching to another screen, also would like to maintain my existing brightness as much as possible. The firehawk has a published gain of 1.3, but I understand with the dark screen material, measures gain actually might be less.

#3,229 ·
The firehawk has a published gain of 1.3, but I understand with the dark screen material, measures gain actually might be less.

Not with Stewart. If they say 1.3, its going to be 1.3. They test the materials as part of the QC process.

Seriously, seems that Stewart always has to defend its quality and price, yet its the one brand that others wish to be for quality and performance.

#3,233 ·
The measured Firehawk G3 and G4 performance in the AccuCal report is about the only place I've seen a Stewart product underperform specs. It's interesting that most other screens in that grouping also underperformed in gain measurements. ALR screens can be fussy to measure so there could be something about the setup that affected the performance of most screens in that category. Stewart's StudioTek 100 and 130 certainly performed up to spec in the AccuCal report.

#3,236 ·
Thanks.

I’m also trying to find out what the cone viewing angle is for the original firehawk. Anyone happen to know that? Just want to compare my viewing experience (which is very good), to other options out there as I consider a move to a larger screen.
Also, is the original firehawk designed to do better with overhead lights or side lights?

#3,237 · (Edited)
Does Stewart compete in the ultra-short throw / ambient light rejection market? I have used and loved Stewart screens in the past and as I'm building my new theater, I'm blind or not seeing anything from them in that space.

To compete with the Screen Innovations Ultra Short or XY Screen PET Crystal screens, but at Stewart quality (and options like masking)

/edit: I'm aware of the Graymatte 70 but that doesn't seem to be the same type of product as the other "saw tooth" UST / ALR screens.

#3,238 ·
Hey akm3, they do not have a solution currently for UST ALR. Their only options are StudioTek and Graymatte, which you have figured is NOT ALR. Their ALR options like Firehawk and Phantom require a longer throw. By in large, you can look at EPV and Draper as well since they all pretty much get the "sawtooth" material from similar sources for UST ALR.

#3,239 ·
Help decide between Studiotek 130 G4 or Neve

All,
Apologies in advance if this is an oft repeated question - I did search the forum but didn't get a conclusive answer. Also have read Jeff Meir's report on screen materials.

I am looking to redo my HT which will be a bat cave 100% light control. I have a JVC NX7 that I will be using to project on a 125 - 135 inch (130inch most likely) 16:9 screen from a distance of ~16ft.

I am looking at Stewart Cima Neve and Studiotek 130 screen material for the new screen.

I know Stewart screens are best in class, but I wanted to know from real world users the incidence of sparkles on the screens.

Any thoughts on how pronounced the sparkles are on these screen - would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

#3,240 ·
All,
Apologies in advance if this is an oft repeated question - I did search the forum but didn't get a conclusive answer. Also have read Jeff Meir's report on screen materials.

I am looking to redo my HT which will be a bat cave 100% light control. I have a JVC NX7 that I will be using to project on a 125 - 135 inch (130inch most likely) 16:9 screen from a distance of ~16ft.

I am looking at Stewart Cima Neve and Studiotek 130 screen material for the new screen.

I know Stewart screens are best in class, but I wanted to know from real world users the incidence of sparkles on the screens.

Any thoughts on how pronounced the sparkles are on these screen - would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
I have the ST130 (2.35 152") in a light controlled theater room with a calibrated JVC RS600 projecting from about 19 feet and the picture is amazing on the screen and I have never seen the sparkles you speak of.