AVS Forum banner

The Official Stewart Film Screen thread.

773K views 5K replies 935 participants last post by  Rehan 
#1 ·
Post all your questions and answers related to Stewart to this thread.

Please, no sales or marketing. It will be removed.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk /forum/post/0

Have got some prices for the ST 130. Compared to Da-Lite it's quite a leap upwards in price. My question is: is it worth it ?

Will the PICTURE be better with wither the Studiotek 130 or the Firehawk mentioned by Scottyb over than with the Da-Lite Cinema Vision ?

Anyone seen these alternatives and care to comment ?

Check this out:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...er_screens.htm

#4 ·
Is it only possible to get the screen sizes that are on the stewart site... is the deluxe fram only available in 110" and 123" in 16:9.. nothing in between?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser /forum/post/0

Is it only possible to get the screen sizes that are on the stewart site... is the deluxe fram only available in 110" and 123" in 16:9.. nothing in between?

No, they can do whatever size you need.

#8 ·
No, production just might take a little longer though. The reasoning for "standard" sizes is to allow people to do a quick-type spec for their screen. Kind of like shopping from a catalog. What takes longer with the custom screens is that the extrusions have to be custom cut for the frame, and the skin itself may need to wait for another order to be manufactured (make one very large section of material as opposed to several smaller ones- manufacturing efficiency).

Dan

#10 ·
No, that's not normal for Stewart. They have 3 different factories in the US, I don't believe any specialize. My first inclination is to say that there's an issue with the dealer. I had my Greyhawk RS (perfed) in 2 weeks from the production date ( 2 weeks from the time I was told it was going to production).

Just my .02

You could try to get the order number from your dealer (generated by Screen Assistant) and then call stewart to see what's up. Stewart P.O.s are done by SA, not by the last name of the customer-like most other manufacturers.

Dan

#12 ·
Good call, Jason!

I totally missed that LydMekk is located in Norway- yeah, that can add some serious time to screen shipment. (I waited 3 months for my buddy's Screen Research screen- they only send a boat ever once a month, and then there's customs....).

'Sorry about the oversight- my statements are probably inaccurate then.

Dan

#13 ·
I'll share my experience comparing firehawk to high power. I have a similar setup for projector mounting location, screen size, and viewing distance. Currently I'm just using blackout cloth, and am hard pressed to justify the marginal improvement I'll see in dark viewing for the expense. However, I find I'm doing more and more viewing with ambient light. So I ordered samples from Da-Lite and Stewart to check them out. I suggest you do the same (they were free).

In my evaluation I decided on the Firehawk. Although the high power does provide a higher gain image than other screens with a ceiling mount, it's depressing to stand up and see the image get much brighter and seemingly more vibrant. I think I would end up wanting to stand during movies! The firehawk provided the best picture in my actual viewing area. I also found it shed light better in ambient situations. The relative contrast between black and white were more profound to me, especially compared to the high power OUTSIDE of it's sweet spot.

Of all the materials I tested from Stewart and Da-lite only the high power and the firehawk were compelling enough of a difference from black out cloth for me to consider. FWIW the black out cloth was indistinguishable from matt white screen material. I hung both samples on my screen for a while just to see different situations. With lights on, I was always impressed with the firewhawk.

When it comes down to it though, you'll get used to what you have and until you see something better you won't really know what you're missing. With the high-power you'll always see what you're missing every time you stand up. That would drive me crazy! You may be different. Good Luck.

MM

#2,580 ·
Very nice post, I liked what you said. I have a Stewart Filmscreen. I ordered it ahead of my home cinema build in our new home in Lansing. By new home, I mean our 98 year old Custom Craftsman. Our cinema is in what once was the Master Bedroom, dimensions are 18'L x 14'W. The first projector was a Panasonic AE4000U, then the AE8000U, six months later, the Epson 5040UB. The Stewart has been fantastic with all three. My thinking at the time of designing our first projector based cinema, was that it would be prudent to shoot the wad with the Stewart right away. Then it's done and I'll never be jonsin for a new screen. It worked because I have not even felt the need to consider it. I thought that maybe someday with LED's being so versatile that maybe someday there will be hybrid projector screen systems. The projector would be laser and the screen would have an array of tiny LED's for backlighting and improved HDR. I imagine the cost would be through the roof, but I'm a dreamer so I dream. We love home cinema. It's one of the most rewarding family oriented activities that pay the highest dividends because for me, films, the art, the cinematography, the high fidelity immersive audio, form a synergy that opens up the potential to see the world in all it's beauty and brilliance, the best way possible. Right in our very own home. Cheers! Stewart Filmscreen, no matter what seat I'm in or standing, always renders our content as if we're peering at the world through a 130" magical window. 3D and UHD look fantastic on this screen. At times, it's every bit as beautiful and bright as our high end Sony flat panels, of which, there are three in various rooms throughout the home.

#14 ·
The reason sometimes Stewarts take longer is that every screen they make is made from scratch. Its not like they have the material cut to size already waiting for it to be attached to the frame. Every time an order comes in, every piece of it has to be created from that moment so sometimes it takes a little longer. However, it worth the wait once you receive it because they put quality and lots of quality control into every screen you receive. I understand it can be fustrating to wait, but its worth the wait once you do

#15 ·
I´d recomend that noone would buy a firehawk without getting a sample. I notice the sparklies on the finish from my seating position and for that reason I´d never get it.

Is it not possible to have the splattery sparklies smaller and more consistant, it doesn´t sound that hard to to. The silverstar doesn´t have these sparkly splatters(but it has sheen which is another matter).

Was there never a rumour that they were working on an improved firehawk(I´d personally want it not so dark to lower the gain layer a little - for less hotspotting - and I´d like to see improved smoothness to the finish).

#16 ·
I have a Firehawk Luxus model A with the following problem: The edges are sticking to something and beginning to wear through the material. The problem is on the upper 1/3 of the screen, along the outside edges near the tab tensioners. It's almost as though the tension wires are rubbing when rolled up. I'm not sure how to fix this or stop it from getting worse. Anyone?

#20 ·
Are stewart screens come preassembled or do the frames need to be assembled (fixed ones)

#22 ·
The original version of the firehawk was suppose to have an 1.8 gain layer wasn´t it... then how can the new one which has even less gain still have a narrower viewing cone than the 1.8 gain ultramatte?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2 /forum/post/0

I have a Firehawk Luxus model A with the following problem: The edges are sticking to something and beginning to wear through the material. The problem is on the upper 1/3 of the screen, along the outside edges near the tab tensioners. It's almost as though the tension wires are rubbing when rolled up. I'm not sure how to fix this or stop it from getting worse. Anyone?

So I'm the only one with this problem?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2 /forum/post/0

So I'm the only one with this problem?

Have you checked with Stewart about this? From what I have heard, they are supposed to be really good about supporting their products in the field.

Question: when did Stewart begin manufacturing the G2 version of the Firehawk?

Gary Dahl

#25 ·
I'm also curious when the G2 firehawk started to roll out. I just received what I assume to be the Firehawk G1 last friday (11-4-05). Have yet to use it. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the two by model #. My model # is (SNDQ110HFWezX). I would hate to have spent almost 2 grand on the old model. Timing is everything.....................

#27 ·
FireHawk G2 (From Stewart Website)

FireHawk G2 is ideal for using with digital projection technologies in today's home theaters. FireHawk G2 produces outstanding black levels and color saturation. Use FireHawk G2 in business and church facilities when ambient light is present.

FireHawk G2 increases black levels, shadow detailing and color saturation. FireHawk G2 maximizes screen brightness at 40 percent peak foot lambert increase over all existing gray screens. Preserves image contrast by dampening room cross light reflection as much as 90 percent. FireHawk G2 also maximizes the screen's passive black level for digital projectors. FireHawk G2 is available in retractable and fixed screen models.

FireHawk G2 Benefits

Ambient Light Resistance

Increases Black Level

Increases Color Saturation

Bright, Vibrant Image

Washable

Flame Retardant

Performance Response

Projection Screen Flexible Front Projection

Perforations Micro Perforation

Framing and Design Available in fixed screens and motorized

retractable screen models

Masking Available

Gain 1.25

Half Gain @ 30º

Seamless Size Restrictions Contact Manufacturer

Seams None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of questions:-

1) Does it mean that Firehawk would only be available in micro perforation only? If it is, does it mean that G2 version is superior than the previous non-perforated Firehawk?

2) If we would like to upgrade from previous Firehawk to G2 version, could we get special discounted rate?