Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 63 Old 09-20-2005, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Giving the Dalite Acoustical Imager with High Power a workout and wow what a screen.
I am not a big audio perfectionist so let me get the audio portion out of the way first. The screen has L/C/R JBL speakers build right into the Frame. The frame is made of a very sturdy aluminum tubing that serves as the speakerbox. Depth is only 5 or 6"
and the performance of these speakers are great. My room is not very big 25L x 12W
and these speakers fil the room full of sound and handle loud passages without any distortion or breakup. The system includes a powered sub and surround speakers but I opted just for the Screen with front audio because my room already has the balance of speakers in place.

On to the screen. I tried the High Power material based on darinp2 recommendation knowing my system meet the ideal on axis requirements for this material. This is a retro reflective hi gain material that throws the light back to the light source. If your projector is close to head level, a little higher or lower from your seating position then this screen material will work for you. If your projector is ceiling mounted and you sit well below it then you will be far off axis and end up with a very dim image.
In my case I am on axis and what a picture this screen throws. It looks like a giant plasma. I went with a 235:1 scope screen. I can turn my lights on in the room and it does not effect the performance of the screen. I also see no pixel noise or shimmering from this screen at all. Im really impressed.

Product info can be found here.
Click here

The following screen shots were taken using an old Sim2 300 first generation 16x9 DLP. Using this screen I felt as if I just installed a brand new Xenon lamp in my projector. I had to turn the contrast way down. I feel like I have the light output of a 3 chip DLP.
Heres a few screen shots. If you have any questions please let me know.

HD off Satellite.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_0152.jpg

HD Net. Using and Isco 3 anamorphic lens filling the full scope screen
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_0201.jpg

We all know this DVD.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_0211.jpg

More sat HD.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_012.jpg

I heard a noise in my back yard and grabbed the camera.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_016.jpg

One more.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_011.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 09-23-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Alan congrats on the new screen. Pictures look stunning. Really vibrant.

How does not having the speakers behind the screen sound after you've used an acoustic screen?
post #3 of 63 Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
the High Power material is wonderful! and affordable
post #4 of 63 Old 09-23-2005, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You can notice the additional highs when the speakers are not behind a screen but unless doing a side by side those using an acoustic screen are fine but yes I do notice the difference.
post #5 of 63 Old 09-24-2005, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can notice the additional highs when the speakers are not behind a screen but unless doing a side by side those using an acoustic screen are fine but yes I do notice the difference.
And how does the imaging sound? Is not having the sounds anchored to the screen noticeable?
post #6 of 63 Old 09-24-2005, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukkis
And how does the imaging sound? Is not having the sounds anchored to the screen noticeable?
Same thing. When the light are out you do not know the speakers are 1 foot or less from their previous position. Because I have a scope screen my L/R spkrs when behind the screen to the extreme outer portion of the screen for the max separation from the center. Because the new speakers sit rt in the frame Id say Im speaker edge to speaker from the behind the screen speakers. I dont know anyone who could point source that little difference and Ive gained better highs. As far as the center from the people I have talked to our ears are not as sensitive to vertical placement and thats my finding as well. Ive always agreed with that one. The more material you place in front of a speaker the more it will interfere with dispersion regardless if its THX/ISF so now that I am no longer behind the screen I now have a wider dispersion pattern and clearer highs that make up for the few inches of off set from the last speaker position. Again I want to point out some people are really into audio and thats not me. If Im watching something that has a great picture then Im in wow and just as long as there is sound coming from it Im happy. This screen excels in both audio and picture performance. Im amazed how many great screens there are out there. Im lucky I get the chance to try so many. A screen really can make a huge difference with any projector making that projector look ok to wow. Dont be afraid to try as many different materials as possible.
post #7 of 63 Old 09-24-2005, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukkis
Same thing. When the light are out you do not know the speakers are 1 foot or less from their previous position. Because I have a scope screen my L/R spkrs when behind the screen to the extreme outer portion of the screen for the max separation from the center. Because the new speakers sit rt in the frame Id say Im speaker edge to speaker from the behind the screen speakers. I dont know anyone who could point source that little difference and Ive gained better highs. As far as the center from the people I have talked to our ears are not as sensitive to vertical placement and thats my finding as well. Ive always agreed with that one. The more material you place in front of a speaker the more it will interfere with dispersion regardless if its THX/ISF so now that I am no longer behind the screen I now have a wider dispersion pattern and clearer highs that make up for the few inches of off set from the last speaker position. Again I want to point out some people are really into audio and thats not me. If Im watching something that has a great picture then Im in wow and just as long as there is sound coming from it Im happy. This screen excels in both audio and picture performance. Im amazed how many great screens there are out there. Im lucky I get the chance to try so many. A screen really can make a huge difference with any projector making that projector look ok to wow. Dont be afraid to try as many different materials as possible.
post #8 of 63 Old 09-27-2005, 06:18 PM

Anyone else have any comments on this screen. Maybe from when you were at Cedia?

Scott
post #9 of 63 Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 AM
sfb

How low can the speakers go? They seem too small to be able to go down to 80 Hz.
post #10 of 63 Old 09-28-2005, 06:39 AM

3db roll off below 100HZ
post #11 of 63 Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 AM
sfb

so how can they be blended with a subwoofer?
post #12 of 63 Old 09-28-2005, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb
so how can they be blended with a subwoofer?
By using the crossover on your subwoofer just as you would if your speakers went down to 80HZ.

Deicated Theater Rooms that look like theaters are becoming very common. These people do not want full range floor speakers sitting out in the room exposeed riuning the dacore of the room so smaller book self type speakers are being used. These do not have the bass response of the larger fllor speakers so a subwoofer added to the systen is a must.
Set it to blend seamlessly. I had an Audiophile over the other day who designs and installs a lot of theater rooms. Hes not a video person but a Videophile and was very impressed and had no reservations to ever using this screen if the application arrived.
post #13 of 63 Old 09-28-2005, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Post all your questions and answers related to the Dalite to this thread.
Please no sales or marketing as those posts will be removed. Thank you.
post #14 of 63 Old 09-28-2005, 10:58 AM
sfb

Don't most receivers send everything below 80 Hz to the sub and the rest to the speakers when set to "small"? Seems like these speakers won't work well in this kind of set-up.
post #15 of 63 Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb
Don't most receivers send everything below 80 Hz to the sub and the rest to the speakers when set to "small"? Seems like these speakers won't work well in this kind of set-up.
What do you mean by most. Do you mean cheap or low end.

It comes with its own powered subwoofer that you hook up to the front output of your receiver so you have full range. I opted to pass on the sub because my system has me covered. Its nice they give you the option:)

I change receivers on a regular basis to keep up with jones and to keep educated on my product line and I have yet to not have a receiver with 80hz/100 as a selection.

You can still hear hear information well below 100hz so even if setting your sub at 80HZ if you have no choice because of your receivers limited factor you will be fine.

In fact most people will have no trouble with this set up at all. It sounds killer and handles high SPL.
A strick audiophile may believe different but they would never buy this product anyway.
Audio is so subjective what you feel is right or wrong means nothing to the next person.

I can assure you anyone coming in for a demo would never sit hear and say the bass is weak..I can sense a whole the frequency response:)

Just the opposite they will be impressed with the performance and lack of visual speakers. I think its a great product and a wonderful idea that fills a gap.
post #16 of 63 Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM

post #17 of 63 Old 09-30-2005, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a CRT that is ceiling mounted and the tubes are 6'5 feet from the ground about 17' from the wall projecting onto a 135" Screen.
You're saying that if I sit under the projector at 3' to 3.5' from the ground, I'm going to see a dim picture with the high power screen.

Will tilting the top of the screen forward make a difference on where the reflected image points?
post #18 of 63 Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 AM

I really need help choosing a screen for my Panasonic PT-AE900

aim to get it in about 73-77" diagonal 16:9 Fixed screen with black border. So far the Da-Lite Perm Wall frame is my favourite. The projector will probably only be just over 2 metres from the screen, mounted on a table of a similar height to the centre of the screen. The room will almost mostly be completely dark, and even during the day, i am going to invest in some black-out blinds. I have narrowed down the screens that i think i would to the following:

1). Cinema Vision - Gain 1.3
2). High Contrast Matte White - Gain 1.1
3). High Contrast Cinema Vision - Gain 1.1

My concern is that Cinema Vision is more for CRT projectors with a lower lumen output. My Panasonic will be run in eco lamp mode, with the best contrast i can get. Im not really sure of the difference between 2 and 3, both have the same gain, but which ones will be bright and give me a good contrast ratio?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Chris
post #19 of 63 Old 10-06-2005, 02:06 AM

OK, the High Power fabric really intrigues me, but I have some questions I hope someone can answer. They are mostly to do with ambient light. As I understand it (from other posts) as the viewer moves off angle (either side to side or up and down) the High Power basically becomes a unity gain.

In my situation I'd have the following:

-standard recliner seat height ~ 3.5' or so from the ground to viewers' eyes
-52" tall screen that has the bottom edge 28" off the ground, so the top of the screen in 6' 8" off the ground
-projector is ceiling mounted about 13' from the 106" diagonal screen.
-the middle of the projector lens is even with the top of the screen - so 6'8" from the ground

Basically, in a completely dark room, I'd go for a white screen like the Stewart StudioTek 130 or Da-Lite Cinema Vision or Carada Brilliant White. And for serious movie watching, I will have total darkness and walls, ceiling, floor and furniture are all dark, so ambient light should be at a minimum.

But for TV and gatherings I intend to have some lights on. Not bright, but enough to walk around and see your food. No overhead lights. No lights on the back wall. Just sconces on the side walls - four 60 watt lights on the side walls right next to the seating area none of which are infront of the projector (ie. the projector is closer to the screen than any of the sconces)

So ambient light is not bright, but still enough to wash out a standard white screen (I know this from experience).

Now, the Stewart FireHawk would seem like a very good candidate. If it is, in fact the best choice, then I will go for it. But I wouldn't mind spending a bit less if I can. Da-Lite's High Contrast Cinema Vision seemed like a good choice at first glance, but I have read a few times now that the High Power actually does better in ambient light than the HCCV.

So that is my question. I have no doubt that almost any decent quality screen will perform well in total darkness. But with some ambient light in the room, I know from experience how easily a standard white screen washes out.

Would the High Power perform well in my setup? Or would the FireHawk be superior? Are there any screen materials that might be better than either of those two (and please don't suggest the SuperNova or Mirage - I'm aware of those, but not prepared to pay that high a price, nor do I think my ambient light is so bright that it should be needed)?

Thanks all,
Jon
post #20 of 63 Old 10-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm interested in a 100" High-Contrast Da-Mat screen for my Infocus 7205. I'm leaning toward the Cinema Contour, but am curious what the difference is between it and the Da-Snap?

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #21 of 63 Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone used a HCDaMatte screen. It has a .8 gain and is what I need to bring my ftL down to 15 ftL. I got a sample and blacks look amazing. But I can't tell if it affects color. Thanks
post #22 of 63 Old 10-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff
I'm interested in a 100" High-Contrast Da-Mat screen for my Infocus 7205. I'm leaning toward the Cinema Contour, but am curious what the difference is between it and the Da-Snap?
I haven't seen them in person, but it seems like the Contour is just a thicker frame border with a beveled edge on the inside. I'm not sure that it adds any benefit performance-wise, but I think it's considered to be nicer/fancier looking. Anyone else know what the purpose is, exactly?

All the pictures on Da-Lite's site suck, but if you look at the pictures of the two different frame types on the Carada site, I think it's the same idea.
post #23 of 63 Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
You are correct on the differences. In person it is a nicer looking screen that the Da-snap. The only time I've seen a difference in performance is with a PJ that has a big offset where the Da-snap creates a small shadow on the the top (or bottom if projecting from below) of the screen. For most PJs this won't be a problem and there is no performance difference.

Bob
post #24 of 63 Old 10-14-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate358
Has anyone used a HCDaMatte screen. It has a .8 gain and is what I need to bring my ftL down to 15 ftL. I got a sample and blacks look amazing. But I can't tell if it affects color. Thanks
Why does it matter if it affects colour then if you can't tell?? Surely you wouldnt change your mind just because someone says it affects colour. If you like what you see, go for it. Have a look at the HC Cinema Vision.

On another note, i have to say Da-Lite are awesome. I requested samples of the Da-Matt, the HC Cinema Vision, and the Cinema Vision. I requested samples of High Def Grey and Matte White m1300 from Draper, instead I got a 4"x4" sample of the m1300, with staples through it holding a sheet of paper with 'Draper m1300' on it, and then a business card stapled to it....pathetic. Although in saying that, once i pointed out to Draper that Da-lite overnighted from the USA to Ireland some 2ftx2ft materials in the best packaging i have ever seen, at some considerable expense to me.

My feelings so far are that the Draper m1300 material, although i havent tested, is a good bit thicker than the Da-Lite. The Da-Lite will be my preference if there is no difference in screen qualities when viewing considering the efforts they made.

Carada are also sending samples. However, i would never purchase from Stewarts who dont even reply to the emails.
post #25 of 63 Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 AM

I have a question about the smoothness of the mechanicals for a Da-lite Model B. I find that mine is not that smooth when I'm lowering the screen. Initally, the resistance seems fairly high and once it gets going, it feels like there's almost a bit of chatter with resistance changes alternating from low to high.

As a point of reference I can only compare it to my old screen which is a Draper Luma. The Luma is much smoother. Is this normal for the model b?

Thanks
post #26 of 63 Old 10-17-2005, 08:20 PM

ya get what ya pay for :)
post #27 of 63 Old 10-18-2005, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
ya get what ya pay for :)
OK. I guess this is normal. The Draper Luma is about the same price and build quality on the mechanicals is better than the model B.
post #28 of 63 Old 10-19-2005, 12:52 AM

Anyone try the Model C Matte White.
Thinking of trying it.
I read here that HCMW has problem with waves.
Does MW have the same problem?
post #29 of 63 Old 10-20-2005, 05:08 PM

Can anyone with some Da-lite screen knowledge take a moment and tell what exactly the differences are in these screens:

1. Cinema contour (Most exspensive)
2. DA-Snap (Mid priced)
3. Perm-Wall (cheapest)

Thanks

Troy
post #30 of 63 Old 10-20-2005, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Matte white will get waves as do all the non tensioned materials eventually. But the matte white and the high power are harder to notice the waves in regular viewing. The HCMW is easier to notice the waves. The model C with the bigger roller tends to get less waves than the model b.

Troy,

1. Cinema Contour 3" frame that is beveled into the screen. Very nice in appearance. Screen attaches to the rear of the frame. I highly suggest the pro trim option.

2. Da-snap 1.5" square frame. Screen attaches to the rear. Again, I highly suggest the Pro - Trim. Not the best solution if your projector has a big offset (mounted above the top of the screen, or below the bottom of the screen). If the PJ has a big offset you will get a slight shadow from the screen itself on the top or bottom of the screen because the screen is not beveled and blocks part of the picture from the PJ. Not a concern for most PJ's.

3 The Perm wall screen attached to the front of the frame. There is no pro trim option for this screen. This is a good screen to use if you mount it into cabinet or build framing around it. The frame is screwed to the wall and the screen is attached to the front. You can make your own protrim for this if mounting into a cabinet since you only need to add it to the front. The other two screens need a little room on the top and bottom of them to set them on their mounts. So changing or repairing screen material later can be a pain if it is built into custom cabinetry.

If you are not building framing around the screen, in cabinetry or woodwork then go with the Da-snap or the Cinema Contour with the pro trim. The Contour is definitely better looking hanging on the wall but has no bearing on picture quality.

I wouldn't try to add a velvet type material to the basic frame. The pro trim velvet is wrapped around the frame and not just on the front of it. It is worth the extra money IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page