The official Draper screen thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 87 Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Please post all your questions and answers releated to Draper to this thread.
Please no sales or marketing. It will be removed. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 09-28-2005, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
What would be your suggestion for an Electric, Recessed, Tab Tensioned screen in a basement that is 14'11" long and will have the projector about 16 feet from the screen? It is a standard basement with only 2 windows and lighting will be what I make of it with the dimmers on my can lights.... There is a wetbar on the other side of the theater and no door... Total room length is around 27 ft. We will watch movies, TV is likely with company over while playing pool in the other area next to the bar....

Would you say that I can go as large as a 106" or what would you recommend size-wise?

Also, what manufacturer would you recommend knowing that I want the best I can get, but am trying to keep the screen reasonable price-wise... (2K or so)

Is there an electric screen with the trap door that opens and closes in that range?

Sorry if I asked too many questions.... I am trying to make a decision soon as my basement is being finished as we speak..

Thank you,
Robert
post #3 of 87 Old 09-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Anyone know how to install the darn Cineperm screen? The instructions are a joke...or maybe this rocket scientist is making too much of too little.

The frame has these plastic pieces around the ends, but the instructions don't say to leave them on or take them off. I have tried to take them off, but they won't come off and the frame is too small to put them over without cutting into the plastic....aarrggghhhh... poor instructions give me the perception the design is poor too....

Any advice appreciated.
post #4 of 87 Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Seeking hands/eyes on experience from anyone who has a Draper 92" diagonal M2500 fabric coupled with a Sony HS50/51.

FtL, black level information and how is the over all reproduction?

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #5 of 87 Old 10-02-2005, 05:43 PM

walkabt,

The Cineperm is actually meant for boardroom situations, or situations where you will build a frame for it or use some sort of fabric to cover the edges, 'cause it's butt-ugly.

You gotta really stttttretch that fabric to make the snaps all snap-on, too.

Eric
post #6 of 87 Old 10-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

My theater consists of a ceiling mounted JVC SX21 w/panamorph lens and a Draper Clarion 16x9 106" w/M1300 and velvet border. Its a great setup, but I keep reading about all the people that claim that going to a "silver" or other high gain screen made a huge difference in their picture.

I wish Draper had a "high gain" screen, so I could just unsnap the material and snap in something new.

Has anyone experienced the difference between M1300 and M2500? Is it significant?

thanks
michael
post #7 of 87 Old 10-06-2005, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Highjinx,
I have a 125" wide M2500 for my Benq PE8700 and it's great. The material does have history for horizontal streaks and mine does show some as well under bright white scenes. It also has a tendency to hot spot. The color temperature is excellent with great contrast. I get nothing but praise for the image--that from people who don't know or see it's limitations.
Bob
post #8 of 87 Old 10-07-2005, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Highjinx,
I have a 125" wide M2500 for my Benq PE8700 and it's great. The material does have history for horizontal streaks and mine does show some as well under bright white scenes. It also has a tendency to hot spot. The color temperature is excellent with great contrast. I get nothing but praise for the image--that from people who don't know or see it's limitations.
Bob

Thanks for that Bob......my present intension is to couple the 92" M2500 with a Sony HS60(Things could change however!). After reading CKL's review on the Sony, where after bulb ageing, the lumen output is predicted to be around 238 lumens, thats only 9FtL or so the 2 gain draper should see it at 18 in the prime viewing position....now that appeals to me!, but I am concerned about elevating the black level.

I hope Draper have addressed the QC issues with the streaking. The hotspotting you mention concerns me, so if I do get the M2500, I'll mount the projector at least 1.8 to 2 screen widths away.(EDIT: Dosen't look like this is possible with the HS-60 1.6 seems the max ....just checked again....possible )

Thanks again

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
post #9 of 87 Old 10-07-2005, 06:25 PM

Does anyone have any real info no the AT1200? All I can find is that it is "comparable to the finest speaker grille cloth" Is there anything technical? How does it compare to the vutec sound screen or the clearpix?

Thanks,
stefan
post #10 of 87 Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Highjinx, Getting a streak-free screen is a crap shoot, from what I've read and even talking to Draper. They did not recommend the M2500 for digital projectors, only CRTS where the streaking is less noticeable. I, however, liked both the price, size and brightness as compared to other screens and was willing to live with the very vague streaks--just in one square foot spot on my screen. Now what's interesting is, I turned the screen around (backside) to see how the image would show on it and wow, it was pristine, evenly lit and about 1.3 in brightness. I suspect the material used is the M1300 material with a coating to get to 2+. Of all the screens I've ever had, though, the Dailite Hi-Power is without doubt the best, but works best with a floor or desk mounted projector because of how the light is reflected back to the source. So for a ceiling mount, it looses brightness. The M2500 was my next choice and has a better color temperature (less yellowish). I have over 640 hours on my current PE8700 bulb and the brightness is still outstanding. I simply tweaked up the brightness and contrast a notch, but it doesn't appear much different than when I first bought it.

Bob
post #11 of 87 Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Highjinx, Getting a streak-free screen is a crap shoot, from what I've read and even talking to Draper. They did not recommend the M2500 for digital projectors, only CRTS where the streaking is less noticeable. I, however, liked both the price, size and brightness as compared to other screens and was willing to live with the very vague streaks--just in one square foot spot on my screen. Now what's interesting is, I turned the screen around (backside) to see how the image would show on it and wow, it was pristine, evenly lit and about 1.3 in brightness. I suspect the material used is the M1300 material with a coating to get to 2+. Of all the screens I've ever had, though, the Dailite Hi-Power is without doubt the best, but works best with a floor or desk mounted projector because of how the light is reflected back to the source. So for a ceiling mount, it looses brightness. The M2500 was my next choice and has a better color temperature (less yellowish). I have over 640 hours on my current PE8700 bulb and the brightness is still outstanding. I simply tweaked up the brightness and contrast a notch, but it doesn't appear much different than when I first bought it.

Bob

My viewing distance will be approximately 2.25 screen widths from the screen to the seating position. From your past experience, assuming the screen is delivered with the dreaded tyre marks, will they be visible from that distance?.

Many thanks!

post #12 of 87 Old 10-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

things are looking like I might be getting a Draper screen. I was wondering if anyone knows which housing is best for a hometheater setup.... one that well help reduce waves in the screen. Looks like my choices are: Draper Silhouette/Series M, Draper Luma, and Draper Luma 2. If anyone know that would be great. I'll be getting screen samples by the end of the week.
post #13 of 87 Old 10-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Seeing how this forum is um... how do you say..... no response... I just got all my Samples from Da-lite and Draper. My choice for the 4805 is the HiDef Grey from Draper. It's a tad darker than the HCMW and HCCV from Da-lite, but not as dark as the HCDaMatte also from Da-lite. Now back to which housing? Luma or Luma2..... Is there much difference? I'll probably have to call Draper to find out the answer!
post #14 of 87 Old 10-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sorry I've got that wrong.... It's not the Hi Def Grey that I like... It's the Hi Contrast Grey that I like. .8 gain ... It's nice!
post #15 of 87 Old 10-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey guys, I have a tab tensioned electric 92" silhouette v with an installed screen trigger, this is the first projector screen I've owned so I can't compare it with any others except a 106" draper premier that I helped a friend purchase, both were the m1300 fabric. We are both running a panasonic ptae 700u. The screen is great, absolutely NO hotspotting, it seems to me like a neutral gain, not darkening nor lightening the picture, overall I think it gives a very accurate representation to what the projector is displaying. No streaking on the 1300 fabric (that would be a bummer). The screen is very quick and pretty smooth going up and down and the screen trigger for a 100 bucks extra is a great option (better than a remote IMHO) If you are on the fence about this I would say it is a good buy but be aware that I have nothing else to compare it to, but I find no flaws in the ones that I have. Any other questions?

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #16 of 87 Old 10-25-2005, 07:47 AM

I have a Draper Access V, electric, tab tensioned screen. I purchased the screen in October 2000. Approx 12 months ago, I began to notice horizontal lines, about 1" thick running across the screen in about 8" intervals. They look like a mark that could be made when the screen is rolled and sitting in the housing (like the screen material was worn smoother)...

Unfortunately, now that I have the AccessV housing installed in my ceiling, I don't want to replace the housing, but would consider purchasing another Draper screen which can be placed inside the housing.

Are the bands which I am seeing the "Horizontal Streaking"....

Has any one else had a similiar issue with the screen developing bands (Draper or other makes) with roll up screens...

I'd also like to get other user opnions on the M2500 material since if I upgrade to a Ruby, I might benefit by the extra gain...

Flavorguy
post #17 of 87 Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Hijinx--sorry on not getting back to you. Yes, you will see the streaking from that distance--about the same distance I sit from my screen. It's a contrast problem created by an uneven flow of the chemicals spread on the vinyl to increase the brightness. The M2500 material is very flimsy (or should I say filmsy) and stretchy and requires a Cineperm tensioned screen frame. I'll try to get some pics of the streaking this weekend if I can.
Bob
post #18 of 87 Old 10-29-2005, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hijinx--sorry on not getting back to you. Yes, you will see the streaking from that distance--about the same distance I sit from my screen. It's a contrast problem created by an uneven flow of the chemicals spread on the vinyl to increase the brightness. The M2500 material is very flimsy (or should I say filmsy) and stretchy and requires a Cineperm tensioned screen frame. I'll try to get some pics of the streaking this weekend if I can.
Bob

Thanks Bob!........................look forward to those pics! I may have to convince myself to lean toward a High Power and find away to table mount the projector!

post #19 of 87 Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 AM

Just got my PLV-Z3 last week, and the room's finally set up to where it's time to get a screen. It's a small, budget setup I'll only run about 80"-82" diagonal, with the PJ mounted on a rear shelf just above the viewers' heads.

As a default, I'll take Elite's budget 80" screen (they call it 84", but that doesn't account for the masking borders). However, I'm curious about color accuracy on a Draper Luma with the high-contrast grey material. My wife likes a little ambient light during movies (), and the Luma looks like about the only screen I can find in that small a size with a high-contrast material....

Any input? Thanks in advance.
post #20 of 87 Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WabashMX5 View Post

I'm curious about color accuracy on a Draper Luma with the high-contrast grey material.

Anyone willing to share their two cents' worth on this? I hope to upgrade from our temporary screen (a bedsheet ) to the real thing soon!
post #21 of 87 Old 11-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Never mind -- looks like my setup is ideal to take full advantage of a GrayWolf, so I just put one on order.
post #22 of 87 Old 11-16-2005, 08:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMovies View Post

My theater consists of a ceiling mounted JVC SX21 w/panamorph lens and a Draper Clarion 16x9 106" w/M1300 and velvet border. Its a great setup, but I keep reading about all the people that claim that going to a "silver" or other high gain screen made a huge difference in their picture.

I wish Draper had a "high gain" screen, so I could just unsnap the material and snap in something new.

Has anyone experienced the difference between M1300 and M2500? Is it significant?

thanks
michael

The M2500 is the high gain material from Draper.
I like white screens, true colors, no hot spotting, easy to watch.
I was at a trade show and a projector was being shown on a silver screen and the presenter said to come back tomorrow when their white screen would be in. Was damaged in transit. The projector looked so much better on white than silver.
post #23 of 87 Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Ontheinside,

So, you are saying you saw a particular setup using a silver screen one day and with a white screen the next day (which you preferred)?

Whose/which screens did you see and what type of projector was it?

thanks
michael
post #24 of 87 Old 11-19-2005, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I own a Draper 7' high contrast grey and it's a great screen for DLP ,LCD ,and DiLA projectors.

tony4k
post #25 of 87 Old 11-27-2005, 05:02 PM
fhw

I have a dedicated HT setup in my basement with very dark walls (chocolate brown) and low ambient light. With a panny 900, would the Hi-Def Grey be a better or worse performer than the M1300? It will likely be 92" Cineperm, with a viewing distance of about 15-17 feet.
post #26 of 87 Old 11-27-2005, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The M1300 works better with crt's. Yes ,the HC Grey works great with digital projectors.

tony4k
post #27 of 87 Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 PM
fhw

tbase1,

The HC Grey is only available with pull-down screens. Is there a difference between it and the Hi-Def grey in performance (I'm going with a fixed screen).

Something that confused me was that Projector Central (the supposed leading review site) was down on the HiDef screen relative to Stewart (fair enough), but didn't directly compare it to DaLite's HCCV. I have the opportunity to get a Draper screen wholesale, which means I would be paying the equivalent of $150 US dollars LESS for Draper than DaLite, and close to $800 LESS than than Stewart.

Is there any way to justify that increase in cost, relative to, for example, upgrading my choice of projector or DVD player?
post #28 of 87 Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm amazed that the problems with the M2500 have not changed.

I went through 3 of them about 5 years ago when I purchased my first pj. Each of them had vertical streaking that was very visible on all light, bright scenes. One had a creased, tread pattern on it as if it was cut from the end of a roll.

But, colors just pop off the screen. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. I could not live with the vertical streaking but sure do miss the vibrancy of tthe colors.

I wound up with the M1300 with a gain of 1.0 (although it sounds like it's 1.3) on a fixed snap frame. It is perfectly smooth with no hot spots.

I've considered changing fabric for better blacks from lcd pj but Draper wants me to send back the frame for a perfect match.

I just know that there is no way I would be able to get the frame pieces apart as I had to hammer them into each other at the time.

I would probably get a complete new screen of 1.3 gain from another manufacturer if I decided to get a defferent material.

Draper was great to work with, though, replacing my screen three times for no charge. And they always sent the screen fabric rolled on a core at my request to avoid any creases due to folding.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #29 of 87 Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 PM

I read that it is possible that Draper offers an acoustic transmissive screen that may work for my needs. I am getting a Pan AE900 to go with my Focal Sib&Cub 5.1 in a new HT in living room, light controlled but will be some ambient light (as people need to walk around safely) and white ceiling/yellow walls. In our space, the best place by far for speakers is behind screen. As the AE900 does not have very high light output, ideally Iwould use a high gain, but I have read with ambient light best to go with a light grey or matte white at best. Screen must be a pull down (manual or electric) ideal size 106" diag. in 16:9 format. I am hoping not to spend more than 1,000 bucks. Does Draper offer something that is likely to work?

Thank you for your time..
post #30 of 87 Old 12-28-2005, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Bob

I have an older M2500 that has some streaks...they don't bother me much tho. However, I purchased a new motorized version of the same screen for a new room I was building. Purchased it about a year ago. Just tried it out yesterday and I lucked out. No streaks at all! I got a perfect M2500. Sweet!

Ron
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page