The official Carada screen thread. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 AM
 
buddahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I read the same article.This review is 2 years old.I have read some great reviews of the BW Carada screens by some excellent reviewers.They claim it is the best screen at the price one can get and is the best value out their.I just ordered a 110 in centurion BW from Carada.Should have it by this coming monday maybe.I will be using the panny900.I hear this makes a great combo at a good price.The panny has a $400 rebate plus $300 blockbuter savings and a extra yera warranty.So i should have about$2400 invested in a 110 hdtv.I have a 55in HDTV Mit RPTV now in my HT setup which is a great tv.It will go upstairs to the LR.I will post my impression when i get it all going next week.I have allways wanted a FP setup since i got my house.My father was the first person in the louisville area to go FP back in 78.He bought a Avid 72in FP crtv that had the curve screen.It was before cable even was here/We used a laser disk then beta and vhs.It was calibrated at our house by them and for it;s day had a great pic.Kids would line up to get in are house to see it.They were used at alot of pizza joints back then such as MR Gattis.But they were usally never set up right in those places and the pic were usally bad.Sorry to digress.I am getting the room ready for the switch over.My basement has a unfinished ceiling with the joist showing.They have been sprayed a sea green.I think i will hang the screen with eye bolts from the joist,Does this sound okay.THANKS BUDDAHEAD
buddahead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
How does the Carada BW compare with the Dalite HighPower when ambient light is a consideration? The Carada website says that the BW (gain 1.4) has only a slightly reduced viewing angle, while the HP (gain 2.8) has a viewing angle that is more significantly reduced. I presume this means that the HP will be better in rejecting ambient light (so long as it is not coming from behind the viewers), provided of course that the narrower viewing angle is not a problem for one's room configuration. And they are roughly the same price, IIRC. Anybody have any direct experience in comparing the two?
millerwill is online now  
post #273 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Newbie
 
Fred Miranda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was also considering the Dalite HP but heard too many complaints about its quality control. (streaks showing, returns, etc...)
Then I was between the Stewart Studio 130 and the Carada BW. Since I'm getting the panny900 for such great price ($1,400) after rebate, I decided to go with the Carada Criterion 118" BW for $916.65. The Precision model was about $135 less but I think the bevel and extra inch of frame may be worth it. I will be paiting the back wall black and still may change my mind between Criterion and Precision as I may not even see the frame...

Thanks for the input on the review. It scared me a little...
Fred Miranda is offline  
post #274 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Miranda View Post

I was also considering the Dalite HP but heard too many complaints about its quality control. (streaks showing, returns, etc...))

Hmmm. The only quality control issues I've heard about the HP is that the manual pull-down versions usually have some waves/wrinkles in them. Though this doesn't seem to bother people (apparantly they don't tend to show up because of the retro-reflective character of the screen), I wouldn't want this. I'm planning on a fixed-frame screen, though, so I haven't been worried about this. I've not heard anything about other 'streaks'; in fact many people comment on how the screen surface 'disapears' when a pic is on it.

I have no screen at present--still shopping and trying to educate myself here in the Forum! The only thing that 'scares' me about the BW is the wide viewing angle, for I do have a window on the side of my room through which some light filters through the shutters. It sounds like the HP will deal with this better (but how does one know?), and it's also brighter.
millerwill is online now  
post #275 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 01:04 PM
 
buddahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bill i also was looking at the Da-lite but for the 110in Dalite HP with the extra custom velvet wrap on the edges they wanted about $1600.I went with the Carada.Light from a window can be controlled cheaper by blocking than with the screen i think'BUDDAHEAD
buddahead is offline  
post #276 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Light from a window can be controlled cheaper by blocking than with the screen i think'BUDDAHEAD

Good point! Bill
millerwill is online now  
post #277 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Member
 
g550guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have my carada crirerion BW in a finished basement with daylight windows. I put a curtain over the window. the carada paired with ae900 looks really nice- no problemo. go for it.
g550guy is offline  
post #278 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Newbie
 
Fred Miranda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Hmmm. The only quality control issues I've heard about the HP is that the manual pull-down versions usually have some waves/wrinkles in them. Though this doesn't seem to bother people (apparantly they don't tend to show up because of the retro-reflective character of the screen)

Here is a link where many users report quality control issues (streaks, etc...) on "fixed" Dalite screens - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=597954
It started with the member "ike" posting his issues...
Fred Miranda is offline  
post #279 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Miranda View Post

Here is a link where many users report quality control issues (streaks, etc...) on "fixed" Dalite screens - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=597954
It started with the member "ike" posting his issues...

The comments I see from 'ike' there have to do with Dalite's High Contrast Cinema Vision (HCCV) screen material, not the HighPower. Still, I agree that it does give one pause about Dalite in general.
millerwill is online now  
post #280 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Member
 
drober30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have now had my Carada BW 92" paired with an Infocus IN76 for 3 days and I'm almost speechless!!!

Let me just make it real simple for all you out there trying to decide...

Order the BW Carada screen you won't be disappointed. It has a 30 day return policy so there is no reason not to try it.

The Criterion frame is really nice and well built. The company is extremely customer focused.

I have mine in my basement and I can have several recessed lights on without washing out the picture.

I can also move freely around the basement without loosing any viewing quality.

Now in all fairness a PJ other than the IN76 might produce better/worse result and I have not compared it to anything else. I bought it based solely on the reviews I read here but I'm hard pressed to think that a $1700 Stewart screen could look much better and if it did I would still be happy with the quality/cost of my Carada screen.
drober30 is offline  
post #281 of 1505 Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Newbie
 
Fred Miranda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

The comments I see from 'ike' there have to do with Dalite's High Contrast Cinema Vision (HCCV) screen material, not the HighPower. Still, I agree that it does give one pause about Dalite in general.

You are right. I don't remember any posts related to the HP model but it was not only a HCCV issue. The Dalite High Contrast Da Mat also showed problems in bright areas of the image. After I read serveral posters with the same issue, it made me decide to look elsewhere. I'm a photographer and very picky about image imperfections. So far the Stewart and Carada screens do not have such negative feedback.

I have a question.. I decided on the 118" BW and my room is about 22' long. Do you guys think it's too big? I intend to have the first row of 2 rows at about 12' from the screen. I will be using the panny900 pj as well. Thanks for any input.
Fred Miranda is offline  
post #282 of 1505 Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Member
 
g550guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Miranda View Post

I have a question.. I decided on the 118" BW and my room is about 22' long. Do you guys think it's too big? I intend to have the first row of 2 rows at about 12' from the screen. I will be using the panny900 pj as well. Thanks for any input.

definitely not too big. mine is a 114" in a 14' long room with seats about 10" back from screen. panny 900 as well. i could have gone a little bigger than 114".
g550guy is offline  
post #283 of 1505 Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by g550guy View Post

definitely not too big. mine is a 114" in a 14' long room with seats about 10" back from screen. panny 900 as well. i could have gone a little bigger than 114".

Wow! I'm looking for a 'big screen' set-up (planning on 120" diag screen from 12 ft; now sit 10 from a 73" rptv), but a 114" (or larger) screen from 10 ft is about the closest viewing distance I've seen reported. Can you say how high the bottom of your screen is from the floor, and your eye level from the floor? TIA
millerwill is online now  
post #284 of 1505 Old 06-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Member
 
g550guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sitting on a standard couch with screen approx 30" from floor. 9' cielings. we can sit 10-12' and it looks just fine.
g550guy is offline  
post #285 of 1505 Old 06-23-2006, 03:38 PM
 
buddahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My screen arrived today from Carada.It is a 110in BW,It went togeather very nicely and looks great.My only problem is i have no projector.You talk about tease.My Pan AE900 won't be here intill tureday so i guess i will just stare at it and dream.It is big.It does have a few wrinkles in it but i assume they will go away after it is togeather now.Well Carada service so far is excellent.Great packaging and the craftmenship is supperb.Well will post when the 900 gets here and what i see.THANKS BUDDA
buddahead is offline  
post #286 of 1505 Old 06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
eliocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi all,

So I'm really close to buying a Carada 100" BW Criterion screen. I have a couple of questions. I am currently using an Optoma Graywolf I 92" with a Panasonic AE900. I notice a slight blooming with the Graywolf when white credits appear over black. Is the BW material going to alleviate this? How much of a difference in contrast will there be? I had originally intended on going with a fixed frame Graywolf II but I really don't like the granular quality of the screen anymore. My room is totally light controlled with no ambient light. Walls and ceiling are painted black and the carpet is dark blue. Basically a cave. In addition, it appears from the sample Carada sent me that the image is a bit sharper/better focus on the sample than on the Greywolf. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Elio
eliocon is online now  
post #287 of 1505 Old 06-25-2006, 11:57 AM
 
buddahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just received the 110 CARADA BW screen friday.I have to say it it just unreal.Mindblowing,Even the wife says it is the best pic she has seen.I am using a MIT hc3000 right now.Testing it out.It throws up a excellent pic.The colors are dead on.But it won't work in my room due to it's lack of lens shift.I have the pan ae900 coming tuesday.I hope it has the quality of the Mit/But i can Say the Carada screen BW are perfect IMHO.BUDDAHEAD
buddahead is offline  
post #288 of 1505 Old 06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
eliocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I pulled the trigger on the 100" BW Criterion. I'll do a compairison when I get the screen. Rex ROCKS!!

Elio
eliocon is online now  
post #289 of 1505 Old 06-29-2006, 05:50 AM
 
buddahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You will love it Elio.BUDDAHEAD
buddahead is offline  
post #290 of 1505 Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
eliocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I received my 100 Brilliant White Criterion screen yesterday and I have to say I'm totally floored by the quality. I can't believe what an enormous difference it makes. I upgraded from a 92 Optoma Graywolf 1 manual screen. My equipment is as follows: Panasonic AE900, Denon DVD 3910, Dish Network HD PVR, Yamaha RX Z1, 8 Infinity Beta speakers and an MK sub. My HT room is painted matte navy blue on all the walls except the wall the screen is on. That and the ceiling are painted black. Navy blue carpeting finishes the completely light controlled room. It's a cave.

Unpacking: As everyone else that has purchased one of the screens has said, the screen was packed perfectly. Everything was in perfect order and without any blemishes. The screen, which comes rolled on a cardboard tube, was smooth and wrinkle free even before I stretched it onto the frame.

Construction: The frame was surprisingly rigid while not being terribly heavy. I really thought it would feel less hefty than it does. The difference between closing the door on a Toyota as opposed to a Mercedes. This feels like a Mercedes. And the velvet covering is really something. I had assumed that, for the price, the frame would be covered with something that would look and feel more like black wallpaper flocking than real velvet. I'm not sure what the material is but it looks and feels really great. It's the kind of elegant touch you expect will cost you a couple of hundred dollars more. I still can't get over the quality feel of every component of this screen. It went together perfectly. All the corners slid solidly and smoothly into each other. The hardest part was stretching the screen material over the snaps and even that wasn't hard. From unpacking it to standing back and admiring it on my wall literally took 30 minutes. And I installed it alone. Now granted my room had a low ceiling so the screen isn't hung to high but still it's amazing that something so large can be comfortably handled by one person.

Picture Quality: Here's where the Brilliant White material really shines. As much as I liked my Graywolf, I still think it's a really nice screen for the price, I always had several issues with it. First was the granular surface. It always made the image look like I was viewing it through frosted glass. The Carada doesn't have this issue at all. Hit it with an image and the screen material disappears completely. The picture is crisp and sharp from corner to corner without a bit of hot spotting. In addition I had a lot of blooming occuring on text with a black background. The Carada eliminated this.

My second issue with the GW was color uniformity. Or more specifically lack thereof. Granted 3 chip LCD projectors always have varying degrees of uniformity issues but the GW screen aggravated a somewhat minor error by exaggerating it. On the GW I had a splotch of green near the center top of the screen, blue to the left and red to the right. On the Carada I see NONE of these. At all. I have looked at every shade of gray on all 3 of my test discs and the splotches just aren't there anymore. And these weren't dust blobs either. I know what those look like. I had always thought there was something wrong with the AE900 and that I'd have to send it in for a new optical block. It wasn't the projector it was the screen. I guess the unevenness of the coating was exaggerating colors on certain areas of the screen.

Issue three was the viewing angle. My AE900 is ceiling mounted and, even though my ceiling is a low one, the angle that I sat at forced me to sacrifice a lot of the brightness coming from the Graywolf. It also didn't hold its brightness from one end of the couch to the other. The Carada has a MUCH wider viewing angle. I can't see any difference at all whether I'm sitting, standing, left or right on the couch. It's made my entire room the best seat in the house.

The black level on the Optoma was really nice but since it has a 1.8 gain and the Brilliant White has a 1.4 I think it's a wash. At least to my eye it is. The black levels on this screen are richer than I expected. And since it's so bright I was able to lower the brightness on my AE900 and boost the blacks a bit more without losing any shadow detail. I do have the Denon set to 0 IRE which tends to crush the black a bit but man oh man it looks good. That goes for my HD DVR as well. And I can't control the black level on that at all and I get deep inky blacks with it.

Colors just pop off the screen with the Carada. Everything looks zingier and fresher and more three-dimensional. The Graywolf always had a certain dinginess to it. Overall it's one of the best screens I've ever seen.

Service: Here I get to sing the praises of Rex Bittle and David Giles. Both those guys really know customer service. They respond quickly and thoroughly to any and all email questions no matter how large or small. Both of them are incredibly patient and knowledgeable. I felt like I was in very good hands in the 3 months it took me to make my decision. I used to work in management for Apple Computer retail and good customer service was something we always put before everything else. Rex and David have Steve Jobs beat. If everyone treated their customers like these guys do the world would be a better place. Thanks guys!!!

If anyone considering buying or switching from a Greywolf to a Carada please feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.

Elio
eliocon is online now  
post #291 of 1505 Old 07-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Member
 
Stitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll second Eliocon's comments on Carada's customer service. I rec'd my 118" BW in 3 days flat, from ordering to my front door. The screen was easy to put together and everything fits like a glove. Best part was I had some questions on installing it, I sent an email to Rex on Sat night and David Giles answered for him on Sun! I can't remember the last time I got a response from any company on a Sun. All I have to say is this company sets the bar for cust svc, very impressive.
Stitz is offline  
post #292 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

I received my 100 Brilliant White Criterion screen yesterday and I have to say I'm totally floored by the quality. I can't believe what an enormous difference it makes. I upgraded from a 92 Optoma Graywolf 1 manual screen. My equipment is as follows: Panasonic AE900, Denon DVD 3910, Dish Network HD PVR, Yamaha RX Z1, 8 Infinity Beta speakers and an MK sub. My HT room is painted matte navy blue on all the walls except the wall the screen is on. That and the ceiling are painted black. Navy blue carpeting finishes the completely light controlled room. It's a cave.

Unpacking: As everyone else that has purchased one of the screens has said, the screen was packed perfectly. Everything was in perfect order and without any blemishes. The screen, which comes rolled on a cardboard tube, was smooth and wrinkle free even before I stretched it onto the frame.

Construction: The frame was surprisingly rigid while not being terribly heavy. I really thought it would feel less hefty than it does. The difference between closing the door on a Toyota as opposed to a Mercedes. This feels like a Mercedes. And the velvet covering is really something. I had assumed that, for the price, the frame would be covered with something that would look and feel more like black wallpaper flocking than real velvet. I'm not sure what the material is but it looks and feels really great. It's the kind of elegant touch you expect will cost you a couple of hundred dollars more. I still can't get over the quality feel of every component of this screen. It went together perfectly. All the corners slid solidly and smoothly into each other. The hardest part was stretching the screen material over the snaps and even that wasn't hard. From unpacking it to standing back and admiring it on my wall literally took 30 minutes. And I installed it alone. Now granted my room had a low ceiling so the screen isn't hung to high but still it's amazing that something so large can be comfortably handled by one person.

Picture Quality: Here's where the Brilliant White material really shines. As much as I liked my Graywolf, I still think it's a really nice screen for the price, I always had several issues with it. First was the granular surface. It always made the image look like I was viewing it through frosted glass. The Carada doesn't have this issue at all. Hit it with an image and the screen material disappears completely. The picture is crisp and sharp from corner to corner without a bit of hot spotting. In addition I had a lot of blooming occuring on text with a black background. The Carada eliminated this.

My second issue with the GW was color uniformity. Or more specifically lack thereof. Granted 3 chip LCD projectors always have varying degrees of uniformity issues but the GW screen aggravated a somewhat minor error by exaggerating it. On the GW I had a splotch of green near the center top of the screen, blue to the left and red to the right. On the Carada I see NONE of these. At all. I have looked at every shade of gray on all 3 of my test discs and the splotches just aren't there anymore. And these weren't dust blobs either. I know what those look like. I had always thought there was something wrong with the AE900 and that I'd have to send it in for a new optical block. It wasn't the projector it was the screen. I guess the unevenness of the coating was exaggerating colors on certain areas of the screen.

Issue three was the viewing angle. My AE900 is ceiling mounted and, even though my ceiling is a low one, the angle that I sat at forced me to sacrifice a lot of the brightness coming from the Graywolf. It also didn't hold its brightness from one end of the couch to the other. The Carada has a MUCH wider viewing angle. I can't see any difference at all whether I'm sitting, standing, left or right on the couch. It's made my entire room the best seat in the house.

The black level on the Optoma was really nice but since it has a 1.8 gain and the Brilliant White has a 1.4 I think it's a wash. At least to my eye it is. The black levels on this screen are richer than I expected. And since it's so bright I was able to lower the brightness on my AE900 and boost the blacks a bit more without losing any shadow detail. I do have the Denon set to 0 IRE which tends to crush the black a bit but man oh man it looks good. That goes for my HD DVR as well. And I can't control the black level on that at all and I get deep inky blacks with it.

Colors just pop off the screen with the Carada. Everything looks zingier and fresher and more three-dimensional. The Graywolf always had a certain dinginess to it. Overall it's one of the best screens I've ever seen.

Service: Here I get to sing the praises of Rex Bittle and David Giles. Both those guys really know customer service. They respond quickly and thoroughly to any and all email questions no matter how large or small. Both of them are incredibly patient and knowledgeable. I felt like I was in very good hands in the 3 months it took me to make my decision. I used to work in management for Apple Computer retail and good customer service was something we always put before everything else. Rex and David have Steve Jobs beat. If everyone treated their customers like these guys do the world would be a better place. Thanks guys!!!

If anyone considering buying or switching from a Greywolf to a Carada please feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.

Elio

Can you tell me how the ae900 paired with the Carada BW works with some low level ambient light in the room?

I'm thinking that I might not want a 100% dark room for football games in HDTV -- so how is the picture with dimmed lights (say 60% level) and this projector/ screen combo?

Is the picture still good -- definitely watchable?
caesar1 is offline  
post #293 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Member
 
ghotihead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the Carada 118" BW today. I'm a total HT newb, and I'm putting together my first room. I bought the Panny 900 last week because I couldn't pass up on a great deal and I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade in the next 2-3 years or less so I didn't want to spend too much right now. I was looking at the Hi Power to complement the Panny but I'll be ceiling mounting and our ceilings are high (10') so I wouldn't be getting the most out of the screen. The Carada seems like the perfect compromise between price and performance.

One question - I didn't go too big did I? The general consensus in my house was to get the biggest screen possible for the wall. (We're 25-yr old guys with no sense of subtlety.) Does a bigger screen mean I'll have to control the ambient light even more? There are two huge windows in the room that I was planning on getting blackout shades for. Also, from what I've read the Panny can handle a screen this large, right?

Lastly, I want to send a thank you out to everyone on this forum, who without their help I would be completely lost on this project. This place is a godsend.
ghotihead is offline  
post #294 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Member
 
ghotihead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, btw my room is 12x19 with seating around 12' and 18'.
ghotihead is offline  
post #295 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
eliocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Can you tell me how the ae900 paired with the Carada BW works with some low level ambient light in the room?

I'm thinking that I might not want a 100% dark room for football games in HDTV -- so how is the picture with dimmed lights (say 60% level) and this projector/ screen combo?

Is the picture still good -- definitely watchable?

It's still good. Certainly better than the Optoma. How big you planning on going? It'll affect the brightness.

Elio
eliocon is online now  
post #296 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
eliocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotihead View Post

Oh, btw my room is 12x19 with seating around 12' and 18'.

I think the 118" will be fine. 120" seems to be where the Panny maxes out as far as the brightness goes.

Elio
eliocon is online now  
post #297 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

It's still good. Certainly better than the Optoma. How big you planning on going? It'll affect the brightness.

Elio

I was thinking either a 110 or 114 inch diagonal screen (no less than the 110 though).
caesar1 is offline  
post #298 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 PM
 
buddahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the ae900 and a 110in Carada BW screen'It is pretty bright for games on HDTV.The pic still looks good with light on as long as the light is place right in the room.
buddahead is offline  
post #299 of 1505 Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
roland6465's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OK, I've just been given the go ahead to order a fixed screen, and I'm looking hard at the Coradas.

I have a 2+ year old Optoma H76 whose bulb is starting to dim, but I have a new one on the shelf. I have about 90% light control in a dark dedicated room. Small....about 14x15. I'm projecting a 92" image on a 106" Da-lite model B pull-down, but I'm going to shrink it down to 88" so I can overscan about 1/8" or so on all sides.

Do I want bright white or gray and why?
roland6465 is offline  
post #300 of 1505 Old 07-07-2006, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

I have the ae900 and a 110in Carada BW screen'It is pretty bright for games on HDTV.The pic still looks good with light on as long as the light is place right in the room.

What would be the right place for lights in the room? I'm thinking recessed lights towards the sides and back of the room and/or wall sconces.
caesar1 is offline  
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off