The official Carada screen thread. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1432 Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rob- You might want to get in touch with someone like David as I am sure they will make custom sizes - and as so many have commented they really are very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1432 Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff2 View Post

Rob- You might want to get in touch with someone like David as I am sure they will make custom sizes - and as so many have commented they really are very helpful.

Funny you mention that- I just checked their website and they do indeed make custom sizes, and very reasonably, I might add! A custom size (assuming a standard aspect ratio) is the same price as the next size up. So if I was to order a 75" or 77" it would cost the same as a stock 80".

Very cool! My next screen very well may be a Carada!
post #363 of 1432 Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 PM

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone here seen the Vutec SS screen? What did you think of it, compared to the BW.
post #364 of 1432 Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post

Every time I think I've got it figured out something else comes along! I'd initially dismissed Carada due to the low-gain/high-light-loss of the screen, but I hadn't considered BW. If the BW has a true gain of about 1.1 (as someone here measured) it may work well for me. By all accounts they're well made, and I like the looks of the trim material.

I just wish they had more sizes in the smaller end- they go right from 72" to 80". Too bad they don't have a step or two in between.

I read several reviews that made me nervous about the Carada screens around the time I was going to purchase. I was in contact with David and expressed my concerns and asked his advice about whether I should get the BW screen for my situation.

I ended up getting the CCW instead and have to say that I am very pleased. I can detect none of the light loss or low gain issues I read about, and I was coming from a Draper M1300 Clarion in my last theater which, if memory serves, was a true 1.1 gain screen.

I think that I would have been overwhelmed by the BW in my very dark totally light controlled environment. Unless you have ambient light issues I can't imagine your not being happy with the Carada product. I got the criterion edition and the build quality is amazing. The screen really looks high dollar with the lights on and the performance is great.

B
post #365 of 1432 Old 08-26-2006, 09:04 PM

Perhaps the CCW would suffice, but the review at AH (where I'm a moderator) made it sound like the BW has more accurate color. Plus I like the idea of the thicker screen material which Carada's own website says allows less light to leak thru.

But if I go with Carada I'll probably call or email for specific advice first.
post #366 of 1432 Old 08-26-2006, 09:53 PM

One last point in favor of BW- Audoholics reviewed the PJ I own with the Carada BW screen. They found it a great match and conjectured that BW would give the best performance of the 3 materials with the Optoma.
post #367 of 1432 Old 08-28-2006, 08:11 PM

Wow! They must be reading my mind or my emails! I see Carada just added a 77" Criterion screen sometime since last nite! 77" is exactly the size I've been shopping for.

They gotta have spies! Perhaps I'll have time on Weds to call 'em and place an order.
post #368 of 1432 Old 08-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle View Post

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone here seen the Vutec SS screen? What did you think of it, compared to the BW.

I tested the SS, Hipower, Carada BW, and ended up getting the SS. It is a spectacular screen.
post #369 of 1432 Old 08-31-2006, 12:04 PM
kel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcewin View Post

I tested the SS, Hipower, Carada BW, and ended up getting the SS. It is a spectacular screen.

Did you have a strong second place ? =)

I am still trying to decide between the HP and the BW (SS is out of my price range).
post #370 of 1432 Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 PM

How does the Precision match up vs the Criterion? Both are probably sufficiently rigid to keep from bowing under the tension of the screen, or are they? I know the Criterion is wider which probably means it's stronger.

Is the Criterion a lot better visually? The inside edge is bevelled vs square for the Precision. Does it make any difference? Has anyone had the opportunity to directly compare the two?
post #371 of 1432 Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 PM

very happy with my HCGrey 90" Carada, has been going about a year now.
post #372 of 1432 Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 AM

All,
I purchased the Optoma H6800 and 106" Grey Wolf II screen combo from Costco. The projector is ceiling mounted in a light controlled environment. The image looks ok until you stand up (retroreflective) and I can see what I'm missing. I'm thinking about a 106" Criterion Brilliant White. How are the viewing angles (cone)?

As far as PQ is concerned I'm happy with DVD playback on the Oppo 971 and most HD looks great however when viewing the wide shot on football games the image looks more like a SD shot. I quess I'm used to the 42" Panny and since the screen is so much smaller it doesn't suffer from this.

Thanks in advance Dave
post #373 of 1432 Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaument View Post

All,
I purchased the Optoma H6800 and 106" Grey Wolf II screen combo from Costco. The projector is ceiling mounted in a light controlled environment. The image looks ok until you stand up (retroreflective) and I can see what I'm missing. I'm thinking about a 106" Criterion Brilliant White. How are the viewing angles (cone)?

As far as PQ is concerned I'm happy with DVD playback on the Oppo 971 and most HD looks great however when viewing the wide shot on football games the image looks more like a SD shot. I quess I'm used to the 42" Panny and since the screen is so much smaller it doesn't suffer from this.

Thanks in advance Dave

I use a 110in carada BW with the ae900.The image is perfect at any angle.Even last weekin when we had all the kids over for a all nighter,They had a blow up mattress on the floor in front of the screen,I layed on it and even below the screen the image was fine.BUDDA
post #374 of 1432 Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 PM

Planning to get the carada screen, I email them to send me samples but I have one question, at totally dark room would the HCG screen still give me good blacks than Classic White? I mean if your PJ display a no video black screen would a HCG give it a darker black? I am planning to pair it with my wd2000u.thx
post #375 of 1432 Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Rob- I went with the Criterion and have to say it looks great. The screen is a 128" 2:35 but since it is mounted on a black wall it takes away some of the impact you would get on one painted a lighter color. I think it is worth the extra cost which is quite reasonable. You might want to consider the Precision frame if your screen will be say 120" 16x9 or larger if you mount it on a wall that is no higher than 8 ft. as there needs to be at least 1/2" at the top of the frame and ceiling so you can place it on the bracket. The extra 1 1/2" may make the difference when you do not want the screen too low. I would think the extra width of the Criterion would make it a bit more rigid.
post #376 of 1432 Old 09-15-2006, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff2 View Post

Rob- I went with the Criterion and have to say it looks great. The screen is a 128" 2:35 but since it is mounted on a black wall it takes away some of the impact you would get on one painted a lighter color.

Are you saying you should not paint the screen wall black? I thought that was recommended? Please clarify.
post #377 of 1432 Old 09-15-2006, 02:56 PM

I think he means the wide frame of the Criterion would be more impressive against a white wall whereas you don't see it against a black one. Painting the wall black would be ideal.

I've basically decided on the Criterion, BW, 80". I might order it right away or I might finish buying the rest of my acoustic treatments first. If so, I'll wait a couple weeks on the screen.
post #378 of 1432 Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 PM

I just hung my Criterion BW. I have a HD6800 that's ceiling mounted and it really bothered me the the picture got considerably brighter when I stood up. All the problems are now solved, not a bad seat in the house. PQ is noticebly better....brighter with colors that truly pOp. Dave
post #379 of 1432 Old 09-15-2006, 11:50 PM

Hi, I'm planning on getting the Sony Pearl projector and I'm wondering if I should get the classic white or BW screen? Screen size I'm looking for is Criterion 88'' diagnoal or Precision 92'' diagnoal. Wall color is white and the viewing distance is around 12 feet. There is some ambient light in the morning/afternoon.. Thanks!!!
post #380 of 1432 Old 09-19-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has Carada ever hinted of an AT screen?

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #381 of 1432 Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 PM

After reading all of the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the BW screens I have to say that more than any single factor I think going from a 110" DIY blackout cloth 2:35 to the 128" Carada the effects of SDE have probably put the Hitachi PJX 200 at it's limit. I did notice some definite softening of the image ( watching Apollo 13 on HD DVD ) and never seemed to notice the colors "pop" any more than I was used to. I did eventually lower the brightness and increase the contrast compared to the blackout cloth so the BW obviously had more gain. Still, I find it quite watchable at around 18 ft. back and after viewing Sahara and then The Searchers and finally Seabiscuit ( all HD ) came away feeling it was well worth it. I suppose I am picky and/or too critical! Basically I'll just have to wait for an affordable 1080 pj to get the most out of HD movies ( perhaps the upcoming Panasonic AE1000U ).
post #382 of 1432 Old 09-20-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd90210 View Post

Hi, I'm planning on getting the Sony Pearl projector and I'm wondering if I should get the classic white or BW screen? Screen size I'm looking for is Criterion 88'' diagnoal or Precision 92'' diagnoal. Wall color is white and the viewing distance is around 12 feet. There is some ambient light in the morning/afternoon.. Thanks!!!

I am in the exact same position! Same room conditions, same viewing position, and same projector consideration!
That said, I would be very interested in hearing anybody's opinion on the subject.
post #383 of 1432 Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 PM

Hey hmcewin,

I know the SS is a brighter screen and in a different league compared to the BW - but tell me the BW still held it's own. I wanted the SS and had it on my package list (all priced out and ready to buy) but now I'm having to "trim the fat" off my large video purchase and am now going with the BW over the SS. Does the BW still have some degree of "pop"? compared to other screens in it's relative competition?
post #384 of 1432 Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post

I have now had my Carada BW 92" paired with an Infocus IN76 for 3 days and I'm almost speechless!!!

Let me just make it real simple for all you out there trying to decide...

Order the BW Carada screen you won't be disappointed. It has a 30 day return policy so there is no reason not to try it.

The Criterion frame is really nice and well built. The company is extremely customer focused.

I have mine in my basement and I can have several recessed lights on without washing out the picture.

I can also move freely around the basement without loosing any viewing quality.

Now in all fairness a PJ other than the IN76 might produce better/worse result and I have not compared it to anything else. I bought it based solely on the reviews I read here but I'm hard pressed to think that a $1700 Stewart screen could look much better and if it did I would still be happy with the quality/cost of my Carada screen.

That sounds great. I too am looking at both that pj and the bw screen. Tell me, how's the "pop" and brightness of the BW with that pj. Do you have any screen shots you could share with us?
post #385 of 1432 Old 10-05-2006, 12:01 AM

I hate to harp on that review, however, I am new to this and was just about to buy one, and was told to read that review. After reading it, to say the least I was shocked. I have read reviews on bad screens where they will still say, for the money it is good. But on projector centrals review, they even go on to say that if your willing to pay 600 dollars spend a bit more and go with the da lite. Wow, Some say take what they say with a grain of salt. Although, what do they have to gain from giving a bogus review. To top it off, projector central has links to corada's sight if you want too buy their screens, I don't know if corada is paying them for that or not. Which makes it even more strange. Out of 6 screens tested corada came in last place in terms of reflection of light, I think something like only 45% of light was being reflected off of the screen while the rest was passing through. I believe that was for the hcg. I've read many post which rave about the screens, most of which the people have never compared their screen side by side with a da lite or whatever is a good competitor. It would be interesting to know how the team at corada feels about that review when a lot of people take what they say to heart before buying any of their equipment. Or why hasn't corada replied on this site to deal with what they say. lets remember,they are cheaper but your still spending good money.
post #386 of 1432 Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by astonn View Post

I hate to harp on that review, however, I am new to this and was just about to buy one, and was told to read that review. After reading it, to say the least I was shocked. I have read reviews on bad screens where they will still say, for the money it is good. But on projector centrals review, they even go on to say that if your willing to pay 600 dollars spend a bit more and go with the da lite. Wow, Some say take what they say with a grain of salt. Although, what do they have to gain from giving a bogus review. To top it off, projector central has links to corada's sight if you want too buy their screens, I don't know if corada is paying them for that or not. Which makes it even more strange. Out of 6 screens tested corada came in last place in terms of reflection of light, I think something like only 45% of light was being reflected off of the screen while the rest was passing through. I believe that was for the hcg. I've read many post which rave about the screens, most of which the people have never compared their screen side by side with a da lite or whatever is a good competitor. It would be interesting to know how the team at corada feels about that review when a lot of people take what they say to heart before buying any of their equipment. Or why hasn't corada replied on this site to deal with what they say. lets remember,they are cheaper but your still spending good money.

Was that the Brilliant White though? I think it wasn't.
post #387 of 1432 Old 10-05-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonn View Post

That review was old.And did not review the Carada BW screen,This is their best screen.They usally will recommend the BW for most.I have one and it is very nice,The image pop's off the screen and is even from all points in the room'No hot spotting.Read the Carada review at projector review,Art give it his highest reating and best buy,BUDDA
post #388 of 1432 Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
It's interesting how similar the Audiohaulics review is to the Projector Reviews one. I'm in the process of selling my 100" Da-Lite HCCV because of several issues and getting either a 118" Carada BW or a Stewart ST 130. It's funny that these two reviews mention that the Carada mimics the Stewart in performance, but at more than half the price.

It seems that once again I'm discovering that just because something's more expensive, doesn't mean it's better. If what they say about the Carada is true, it doesn't seem likely that the Stewart screen is really a thousand dollars better.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #389 of 1432 Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 AM

Thanks budda, so are you saying i should go with the bw over the grey when my room suits the grey because of the bright walls, I do have control over light though. You sound very happy with your bw. Maybe thats the way to go.
post #390 of 1432 Old 10-05-2006, 01:06 PM

Yes, p.c. only reviewed the grey and the classic white not the bw. Seeing that I am getting the panasonic ax100u and everyone seems to think I need a grey screen, I'm now lost. Will the bw work well for the new ax100 or should I still get the grey even though its only .8 gain and some of the light passes through the screen. Are there any people out there that can help, I know its personal preference but I still like opinions
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page