The official Carada screen thread. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1505 Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sweet. I just hope that a Brilliant White screen paired with an AX100U won't blind me with an explosion of photons.

The room I have will be totally light controlled (basement) BUT I can see myself wanting to watch movies in readable light, or playing video games with friends in light. I don't know which of Carada's screen materials best serves this dual-use, but so far the people at Carada are steering me towards BW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1505 Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Anyone here have experience with both a Da-lite Perm Wall and Carada Precision screen?

I'm wondering how big a difference there is in the assembly and installation of the two products.

Thanks,

I.
post #453 of 1505 Old 12-28-2006, 08:53 AM
kel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybean View Post

Interesting! I'm trying to decide between Graywolf and Carada. So the texture of the Graywolf is too noticeable, eh?

I have a GW and the texture is the reason I am reading the Carada thread It seems to be one of those things that can fall on the line anywhere between not bothering people at all and driving them crazy (my case).

For me, I am sadly at a stalemate, trying to decide between the Carada BW and a Dalite HP, both of which seem to get rave reviews and have no apparent texture (from the reviews).
post #454 of 1505 Old 12-29-2006, 09:36 PM

please help;
I have a Sanyo Z2, DIY Parkland Plastic screen 100 inch screen, basement HT with complete light contol, dark red side walls but white ceiling, viewing distnace about 12-14 feet'

Usually watch DVD movies in the dark, but occassional sport get togethers.

Would a Carada screen be that much better compared to my DIY? I am willing to spend the money if people have noticed a significant improvement in PQ ( say 20% better with Carada). I value color vibrancy more than the darkest blacks. Which screen material?

Thanks in advance,
Imu

at somepoint you stop the research and just buy it
post #455 of 1505 Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 AM

The glowing reviews and comments by people on this thread have me interested in a BW 106" Carada screen. I was on the fence over white vs. grey for a while but the information in the thread below helped convince me that white was the way to go. (The information gets better as the thread goes on.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769423

Here is my last question:

Stewart reworked the coating on thier ST130 screen to be finer so as to provide better resoultion for 1080 projectors. Does Carada use a coating and is it fine enough for 1080? The reviews are old enough to most likely have been made with a 720 projector.

Thanks,
Tom

-----------------------------------------
The Lava Lounge Construction Photos
post #456 of 1505 Old 01-04-2007, 06:08 AM

What, no takers?

-----------------------------------------
The Lava Lounge Construction Photos
post #457 of 1505 Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllava View Post

What, no takers?

Have you tried emailing or calling Carada?

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #458 of 1505 Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllava View Post

What, no takers?

Good question - just don't know the answer. I'm actually in the market for a BW 118" as well for my new RS1 arriving hopefully in Feb./Mar and would love to hear the response as well.

While you have them on the phone, ask them if they have a higher gain screen in development that is retroreflective with a wider viewing cone than the HP and doesn't suffer from sparklies.
post #459 of 1505 Old 01-04-2007, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Why does everyone buy the BW and not the CCW?

I definitely don't need the gain for my light controlled room. I'm surprised everyone else does (I see a lot of people with light controlled rooms buying BW).

As for light getting through CCW instead of being absorbed... why do I care as long as it is not reflected and keeps my gain at 1.0? Especially if the light just goes through to a black wall. You could always cover the screen back with felt if your wall is white.

Thicker material is an advantage I guess for long term durability. But I don't want to sacrifice black levels.

Is there an advantage I'm missing?
post #460 of 1505 Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_vogel View Post

Why does everyone buy the BW and not the CCW?

I definitely don't need the gain for my light controlled room. I'm surprised everyone else does (I see a lot of people with light controlled rooms buying BW).

As for light getting through CCW instead of being absorbed... why do I care as long as it is not reflected and keeps my gain at 1.0? Especially if the light just goes through to a black wall. You could always cover the screen back with felt if your wall is white.

Thicker material is an advantage I guess for long term durability. But I don't want to sacrifice black levels.

Is there an advantage I'm missing?

I have wondered that myself. I have a light controlled room. I recently bought a CCW for my Mits HD1000 based on recommendations from Carada and my viewing of the samples. The CCW sample had slightly better black levels and generally produced a slightly better image. I was leaning toward a BW based on all the comments I had read but My wife, son and I all picked the CCW from the "lineup" of samples. I am running the Mits on low lamp mode and it is plenty bright even with lights on.

The BW material may have been slightly thicker, but the CCW material seems very durable. I don't anticipate any problems with that.
post #461 of 1505 Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post

I have wondered that myself. I have a light controlled room. I recently bought a CCW for my Mits HD1000 based on recommendations from Carada and my viewing of the samples. The CCW sample had slightly better black levels and generally produced a slightly better image. I was leaning toward a BW based on all the comments I had read but My wife, son and I all picked the CCW from the "lineup" of samples. I am running the Mits on low lamp mode and it is plenty bright even with lights on.

The BW material may have been slightly thicker, but the CCW material seems very durable. I don't anticipate any problems with that.

I've been pondering this a lot lately too (I also have the MIT1000U). Side-by-side, I consistently prefer the CCW next to the BW, if only by a little bit, but that doesn't seem to be the way the crowd is going, or is what Carada is recommending. I've got 4 kids whose passion is throwing hot wheels cars, so durability is certainly a consideration, but the last problem I have in my room with this projector is brightness - on low-lamp mode, projected on a very low-gain gold wall, it still lights up the whole room. I'd rather have darker blacks than any more brightness.

At any rate, its encouraging to hear you're happy with the CCW.

-Reid
post #462 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'll throw in my recommendation for the CCW.
After going thru many samples by lots of manufacturers, the CCW was the best choice for me with an Infocus 7205 in a light controlled basement HT room.

I was PM'd by a few folks who were also told to go with the BW over the CCW and wanted to know why I went against the grain, so to speak.

All I can say is that I'm very happy with the choice!
-t
post #463 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 AM

Oh, no. I just ordered the BW last night and now I'm wavering based on these comments. I didn't have time to wait on samples as I needed to get my screen for a party in a couple weeks. I have a AX100 and a light controlled room. Should I switch to CCW?
post #464 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I chose the BW because of the limited light control I have. Had I had total light control I probably would have gone with the CCW.
post #465 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM

I just talked to Rex at Carada and I believe that I made the right choice. Thanks Rex. Great customer service!
post #466 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I just corresponded with Carada and David Giles brought up a good point - the projector bulb will lose 30-50% of it brightness over time. This is a huge drop - more than the difference between the CCW and HCG gains. I was trying to optimize the white levels with a new projector.

On the other hand, I don't want to stare at an overly bright screen for a hundred hours until it comes down to a comfortable level. So I'm looking into using a bright screen with a neutral density filter and the projector lamp on "low". I can then remove the filter and/or set the lamp on "high" as the bulb ages.

Prompt replies from Carada though!
post #467 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just corresponded with Carada and David Giles brought up a good point - the projector bulb will lose 30-50% of it brightness over time. This is a huge drop - more than the difference between the CCW and HCG gains. I was trying to optimize the white levels with a new projector.

On the other hand, I don't want to stare at an overly bright screen for a hundred hours until it comes down to a comfortable level. So I'm looking into using a bright screen with a neutral density filter and the projector lamp on "low". I can then remove the filter and/or set the lamp on "high" as the bulb ages.

That sounds like EXACTLY what I would do - get the most from your bulb and optimize brightness over time.
post #468 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's what some folks try to do if they're afraid they may have too much light coming out of their pj. Run the lamp at low-power or use an ND filter to cut light by half. Then as the bulb gets to half-life, remove filter or go to high-power.

-t
post #469 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

As long as the extra fan noise in high lamp mode doesn't bother you...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #470 of 1505 Old 01-05-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

In direct A/B full size (not swatch) comparisons - I preferred CCW over BW in my light controlled theater using a Panny 700. I stapled thin black carpet behind the CCW screen to absorb any pass-thru light. The CCW definitely had better black level. Been using the CCW for over three years now (w/ 3 projectors) and it's been fabulous.

Will be interesting soon when I match up the CCW to a JVC RS1 - which has 15,000:1 native (no DI) on/off contrast (vs. Panny's 750:1) Will no longer need the help w/ the black level the CCW provides - and may then prefer BW (for a little extra punch).
post #471 of 1505 Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

In direct A/B full size (not swatch) comparisons - I preferred CCW over BW in my light controlled theater using a Panny 700. I stapled thin black carpet behind the CCW screen to absorb any pass-thru light. The CCW definitely had better black level. Been using the CCW for over three years now (w/ 3 projectors) and it's been fabulous.

Will be interesting soon when I match up the CCW to a JVC RS1 - which has 15,000:1 native (no DI) on/off contrast (vs. Panny's 750:1) Will no longer need the help w/ the black level the CCW provides - and may then prefer BW (for a little extra punch).

That will be quite a match up John!
From what I've read in the AVS thread the RS1 has some amazing potential.
Hope you post back with what you see.

-t
post #472 of 1505 Old 01-08-2007, 06:28 PM

I received the samples from Carada today and taped them up in three different positions on my DIY screen. I then watched my reference DVD movie- Finding Nemo.

Here is my question: is this a fair way to compare different materials?? Is it almost mandatory to have the full screens side by side for a true comparison??

Thanks,
IAE

at somepoint you stop the research and just buy it
post #473 of 1505 Old 01-09-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imuesmail View Post

I received the samples from Carada today and taped them up in three different positions on my DIY screen. I then watched my reference DVD movie- Finding Nemo.

Here is my question: is this a fair way to compare different materials?? Is it almost mandatory to have the full screens side by side for a true comparison??

Thanks,
IAE

I put my samples side by side taped to my temporary sheet hanging on the wall so that I could get get a good comparison. I wanted to see the same thing on each sample to the extent possible. As I watched, I would also occasionally pause my DVD or DVR and compare the samples.

Having very large samples or full screen would be the best way of course but not practical in most situations.
post #474 of 1505 Old 04-24-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

thread was disappearing...

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #475 of 1505 Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrjim View Post

thread was disappearing...

Folks must be busy watching movies on their Carada screens.

-t
post #476 of 1505 Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 AM

Anyone have the Sanyo Z5 with the BW screen? I received some samples and the blacks look washed out and gray compared to the CCW sample. Can you calibrate the projector to fix this or will the blacks always look this way on the BW Screen?
post #477 of 1505 Old 04-27-2007, 12:59 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Interesting: Rex from Carada adviced me to get a BW screen over a HGC in a BRIGHT room (no light control) with a AE900 ("the AE900U doesn't have the lumens power to overcome the negative gain of the Grey material and stay in the SMPTE standard"). I always thought that Grey was the way to go in these type of rooms.
post #478 of 1505 Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Interesting: Rex from Carada adviced me to get a BW screen over a HGC in a BRIGHT room (no light control) with a AE900 ("the AE900U doesn't have the lumens power to overcome the negative gain of the Grey material and stay in the SMPTE standard"). I always thought that Grey was the way to go in these type of rooms.

Well, the BW has a higher gain than the HGC. And in a BRIGHT room, that higher gain will be able to show off more of the picture. If you had more light control the grey would deepen the blacks (more contrast) BUT you loose overall "brightness" of the picture.

Have him send you samples of each and put them up on the wall that you'll be using, under the same light conditions and project a movie up onto them and judge yourself. Yes, it's tough with 8x10" sample sizes but it'll give you a better idea and why he suggested what he did.

-t
post #479 of 1505 Old 04-27-2007, 02:24 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoguy View Post

Well, the BW has a higher gain than the HGC. And in a BRIGHT room, that higher gain will be able to show off more of the picture. If you had more light control the grey would deepen the blacks (more contrast) BUT you loose overall "brightness" of the picture.

Have him send you samples of each and put them up on the wall that you'll be using, under the same light conditions and project a movie up onto them and judge yourself. Yes, it's tough with 8x10" sample sizes but it'll give you a better idea and why he suggested what he did.

-t

Excellent suggestion, thanks!
post #480 of 1505 Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 AM
KMR

I have the HD1000U throwing about a 100" image from ~13 feet away. The room is 12 x 17 feet. The walls are covered with tan-colored panelling halfway up, and the the upper halves and the ceiling are painted flat white.

Would the CCW be a good choice for me? I'm thinking that the HCG would be a tad too dark, while the BW would kill any kind of black levels for me.

Light control in the room isn't too terribly bad; it's pretty dark in there without the projector on. However, I'm sure my image (thrown onto just the white wall at the moment) is washed out some from the white surrounding areas.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page