Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1465 Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler1978 View Post

Did you use the Precision or Criterion model? The Criterion looks to be more strudy, but also more expensive.

I have the Criterion.It does not cost that much more and it looks killer,BOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1465 Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 AM

Liked: 10
Still testing screen material and size for my new pj.
The more material I shift around, the more I seem to like the BW.
I'd be very interested in knowing at what size you find the standard DVD picture being too soft or difficult to focus.
Presently viewing at 96" X 41" (104). Seating distance in my room is fixed at 10' from the screen wall. JVC presently has an ND2 filter temporarily affixed 'till the bulb ages a bit.
Any input on your experience is appreciated.
Tony
post #543 of 1465 Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
After comparing a bunch of screen materials (3 from Stewart, 3 from Carada) I went with a 114" Precision Carada screen w/ Brilliant White material. The only material I thought looked better (brightness and blacks) was the Firehawk G3, but the viewing angle was too restrictive. Our basement is relatively open and the outer seats had noticeable brightness issues. Of course, it would have been hard enough to justify the cost of a Stewart screen but the fact that I couldn't tell a significant difference between Carada BW and Stewart's UltraMatte 150 & StudioTek 130 made the decision easy.

I went with the Precision frame simply to maximize the viewable area. The frame is barely an inch below the ceiling and the bottom is barely above the center speaker ... the Criterion frame, while attractive, would have cost precious inches as I couldn't have used the 114" size. Either way, the screen is beautiful, even better than I expected, and the fabric covering the frame is outstanding. Absorbs light way better than the black plastic & metal surrounding my last screen (manual roll-down Draper Premier). I'll post a picture soon. Very pleased!
post #544 of 1465 Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does the BW screen have a 'preferred' height position for the projector (RS1) in relation to the top of the screen? In other words, does the screen look best with projector level with top of screen, above, or lower, say just above the top of the viewers heads? Or, doesn't it matter for this screen gain?
I have the ability to place the projector lens 5" above the top of the screen, level or about 6-7" below top of screen.
joe
post #545 of 1465 Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post

After comparing a bunch of screen materials (3 from Stewart, 3 from Carada) I went with a 114" Precision Carada screen w/ Brilliant White material. The only material I thought looked better (brightness and blacks) was the Firehawk G3, but the viewing angle was too restrictive. Our basement is relatively open and the outer seats had noticeable brightness issues. Of course, it would have been hard enough to justify the cost of a Stewart screen but the fact that I couldn't tell a significant difference between Carada BW and Stewart's UltraMatte 150 & StudioTek 130 made the decision easy.

I went with the Precision frame simply to maximize the viewable area. The frame is barely an inch below the ceiling and the bottom is barely above the center speaker ... the Criterion frame, while attractive, would have cost precious inches as I couldn't have used the 114" size. Either way, the screen is beautiful, even better than I expected, and the fabric covering the frame is outstanding. Absorbs light way better than the black plastic & metal surrounding my last screen (manual roll-down Draper Premier). I'll post a picture soon. Very pleased!

I would very much like to see the picture of the Precision frame. I am in the same boat as you in that I would like the Criterion because everyone says it looks better on the wall but space is factor. A few inches here or there can make a big difference for me.

shortspark
post #546 of 1465 Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

I would very much like to see the picture of the Precision frame. I am in the same boat as you in that I would like the Criterion because everyone says it looks better on the wall but space is factor. A few inches here or there can make a big difference for me.

Don't forget you also save $$$! BTW, I bought the Criterion BW 136" 2.35:1 screen. I love it!
post #547 of 1465 Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 PM

I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer for me, regarding Carada screens. I am seriously interested in buying one hopefully this month but I have a few questions/concerns about what I might be getting myself into.

First, let's talk about size. Now I have a 127" 16:9 screen right now but due to limitations in my room, I'm unable to go too much bigger than that.

With that said, I have my mind pretty set on a 134" 16:9 screen. It's only just a few inches bigger than the one I have now so I doubt I'll have any issues with it whatsoever...

My question is this: I'm thinking about going with a Criterion Series frame, only because it's bigger than the Precision frame and I want to have as much maximum impact as possible when people see the framing of the screen. Does the 134" screen actually measure from WITHIN the frame (the inside of the frame) or does the actual 3.5" frame border count as part of the screen size?

In other words, if I went with a 134" screen, would it be 137.5" with the border, or would I actually be getting only 129.5 inches of screen, plus the 3.5 extra inches of the frame? This is quite important as I do have space issues.

My second question: How do people with fixed screens keep them clean? Obviously with pull-down screens, one can leave the screen up 99.9% of the time and only bring it down when watching a movie. My room is very, very, very dirty. It's a garage that has tons of dirt everywhere. I have a fixed screen now which is just screen material that I nailed to the wall and it is super dirty, filthy, disgusting and it can not be cleaned because it's horrible material. Knowing what I know about how much dirt can gather on the screen, it's important to know how I would go about cleaning it. Obviously, my best option would be a pull-down screen, but if other people can have fixed-screens, then there MUST be some sort of way of keeping them clean or at least cleaning them when they need to. How do you all keep your screens clean and/or how do you clean them when they get dirty?

Finally and probably most importantly, let's talk about the screen gain. Now I read a professional review out there on Carada screens and something really shocked me to the core. I don't have the review anymore, but I'm sure that if we looked hard enough, it would be easy to find. According to the professional reviewer, the screen material that Carada uses actually absorbs 40% light output.

What this means of course is that getting the ideal 1.0 screen gain for the truest image possible is completely out of the question. I've always wanted to go with a 1.0 screen only because it's the most truthful image you can get out of the projector. But if what this professional reviewer says is true, then that means that the Classic White 1.0 screen that Carada offers is actually more like a 0.6 screen because of the 40% light absorption and I don't need to tell all of you how untrue the image would be if that were the case.

I also understand that Carada makes a Brilliant White screen which has a screen gain of 1.4. Now again, my understanding is that when dealing with higher screen gains, especially at sizes we're talking about here, the screen will have all sorts of horrible "hot-spotting" everywhere you look, plus the blacks will be gone to produce a much brighter/vivid looking picture, but black level is extremely important to me.

With that said, I myself would never go with anything above a 1.0 screen due to hot-spotting issues and incorrect colors when you're dealing with a screen throwing more light output than is ideal back at the audience.

But... according to the reviewer who says that the material they use absorbs 40% light output, I am wondering if perhaps the 1.4 screen again of the Brilliant White will actually go down to a normal 1.0 gain after the light has been absorbed. Thus, this would be the perfect screen.

BUT... if the reviewer is wrong and the material does NOT absorb light, then I end up with a screen that is just way too bright and un-natural.

So... so you my dilemma. Just how accurate are Carada screens when they list their screen gains? Does this professional reviewer have any validity to his claims?
post #548 of 1465 Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

post #549 of 1465 Old 09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens372 View Post

I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer for me, regarding Carada screens. I am seriously interested in buying one hopefully this month but I have a few questions/concerns about what I might be getting myself into.

I also understand that Carada makes a Brilliant White screen which has a screen gain of 1.4. Now again, my understanding is that when dealing with higher screen gains, especially at sizes we're talking about here, the screen will have all sorts of horrible "hot-spotting" everywhere you look, plus the blacks will be gone to produce a much brighter/vivid looking picture, but black level is extremely important to me.

With that said, I myself would never go with anything above a 1.0 screen due to hot-spotting issues and incorrect colors when you're dealing with a screen throwing more light output than is ideal back at the audience.

But... according to the reviewer who says that the material they use absorbs 40% light output, I am wondering if perhaps the 1.4 screen again of the Brilliant White will actually go down to a normal 1.0 gain after the light has been absorbed. Thus, this would be the perfect screen.

?

I am about to buy the BW for a scope width of 120" for a RS2, with anamorphic lens and sled. A review I recall stated that the 1.4 gain was measured by the reviewer to be closer to 1.1. I am crossing the line from a 8" Sony CRT, which has better blacks than a witch's heart! So black level performance is crucial to me but also having enough brightness with a 17 foot throw on that size of screen had made me decide on the BW vs. the matte white.
As you read more you'll see that room surface color, ambient light control, projector,lens, throw distance all come into play as does screen material and gain.
happy hunting,
joe
post #550 of 1465 Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:

First, let's talk about size. Now I have a 127" 16:9 screen right now but due to limitations in my room, I'm unable to go too much bigger than that.

With that said, I have my mind pretty set on a 134" 16:9 screen. It's only just a few inches bigger than the one I have now so I doubt I'll have any issues with it whatsoever...

My question is this: I'm thinking about going with a Criterion Series frame, only because it's bigger than the Precision frame and I want to have as much maximum impact as possible when people see the framing of the screen. Does the 134" screen actually measure from WITHIN the frame (the inside of the frame) or does the actual 3.5" frame border count as part of the screen size?

In other words, if I went with a 134" screen, would it be 137.5" with the border, or would I actually be getting only 129.5 inches of screen, plus the 3.5 extra inches of the frame? This is quite important as I do have space issues.

My second question: How do people with fixed screens keep them clean? Obviously with pull-down screens, one can leave the screen up 99.9% of the time and only bring it down when watching a movie. My room is very, very, very dirty. It's a garage that has tons of dirt everywhere. I have a fixed screen now which is just screen material that I nailed to the wall and it is super dirty, filthy, disgusting and it can not be cleaned because it's horrible material. Knowing what I know about how much dirt can gather on the screen, it's important to know how I would go about cleaning it. Obviously, my best option would be a pull-down screen, but if other people can have fixed-screens, then there MUST be some sort of way of keeping them clean or at least cleaning them when they need to. How do you all keep your screens clean and/or how do you clean them when they get dirty?

Finally and probably most importantly, let's talk about the screen gain. Now I read a professional review out there on Carada screens and something really shocked me to the core. I don't have the review anymore, but I'm sure that if we looked hard enough, it would be easy to find. According to the professional reviewer, the screen material that Carada uses actually absorbs 40% light output.

What this means of course is that getting the ideal 1.0 screen gain for the truest image possible is completely out of the question. I've always wanted to go with a 1.0 screen only because it's the most truthful image you can get out of the projector. But if what this professional reviewer says is true, then that means that the Classic White 1.0 screen that Carada offers is actually more like a 0.6 screen because of the 40% light absorption and I don't need to tell all of you how untrue the image would be if that were the case.

BUT... if the reviewer is wrong and the material does NOT absorb light, then I end up with a screen that is just way too bright and un-natural.

So... so you my dilemma. Just how accurate are Carada screens when they list their screen gains? Does this professional reviewer have any validity to his claims?

I have the BW screen from carada,And it has no Hotspotting.It is a perfect screen for most FP.The gain is more like 1.2 IMHO.It compares with the Stewart studiotech for much less.You should tell us what FP you have,I highly recommend the CARADA BW.If you have a dim FP like the sony aw15 then a highpower screen would be better.BOB
post #551 of 1465 Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

The gain is more like 1.2 IMHO.It compares with the Stewart studiotech for much less.You should tell us what FP you have

I'm using the JVC RS-1
post #552 of 1465 Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

I have the BW screen from carada. And it has no hotspotting. The BW is a perfect screen for most FP's. IMHO, the BW's gain is more like 1.2. The BW compares with the Stewart studiotech for much less. You should tell us what FP you have? I highly recommend the CARADA BW, if you have a dim FP. For example the sony aw15, a the Sony highpower screen would be better.

BOB

One consideration is black level reproduction with the Brilliant White screen material. When I compared the three screen sample from Carada, I found the gray to be too dim on whites and colors, while the BW to wash out the black level. I chose the middle ground of the Classic White to offer decent black level, while still preserving the "color pop". BTW: My projector is the BenQ 8720, which I find the image a little on the dim side.

But as Bob points out, the screen choice is dependent on the projector. Other considerations are room enviroment, light control, throw distance and individual tastes. As always, I would suggest getting screen samples and see for yourself.

Ron
post #553 of 1465 Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM

How big are these screen samples?
post #554 of 1465 Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:

How big are these screen samples?

The samples are about 8x12" (roughly). They were actually much larger than any other samples I received for the other manufacturers.
post #555 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebetter View Post

Can't say about size but I think BW for your projector may be a little too bright. I swapped out projectors recently to one of these 1080p "dim-jectors" and replaced the Carada Classic Cinema screen (1.0) with the BW. Big difference and big help but I'm only working with 1000 un-calibrated lumens, not 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybean View Post

Sweet. I just hope that a Brilliant White screen paired with an AX100U won't blind me with an explosion of photons.

The room I have will be totally light controlled (basement) BUT I can see myself wanting to watch movies in readable light, or playing video games with friends in light. I don't know which of Carada's screen materials best serves this dual-use, but so far the people at Carada are steering me towards BW.

Hmmm... I'm getting the Panasonic PT-AX200U, and I'm leaning towards the CCW instead of the BW. I'm not interested in the grey one. My room isn't very well controlled for light at the moment, but the Panasonic is very bright.

Has anyone tested the CCW against the BW with the AX200U at short throws, with a small amount of ambient light?

P.S. If the Precision has equal quality, I'd consider just getting that just cuz it's cheaper, although the Criterion is definitely nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

My BenQ has about 500 hours on it. I tried all three of the Carada material compared to the Firehawk screen I currently have (and am selling in the display classifieds area ).

The gray was too dark, but produced terrific black levels vs the firehawk and other two carada samples.

When I compared the Classic white, it had terrific pop vs the BW and Firehawk...though the later two had a slight edge to the CW. The BW and firehawk were similar with colors and brightness.

The Classic white black level was better than the BW, but not as good as the Firehawk.... but in black level...firehawk was the winner between the CW and BW. The gray material produced the darkest black level, as one would expect.

Black Level
1) Gray/Carada
2) Firehawk /Stewart
3) Classic White/Carada (close to Firehawk, but side-by-side FH has an edge)
4) Brill. White/Carada

Brightness/Color pop

1) Brill. White
2) Firehawk (very close to BW, but hard to discern with the small screen samples)
3) Classic White
4) Gray

If I had my druthers, I would stick with the Firehawk for my set up...but due to price of buyiung a new screen...I have to go to a cheaper alternative in Carada. I chose Classic White as the best compromise between black level and brightness (colors/whites).

Great post. I still don't know which to get though.
post #556 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Hmmm... I'm getting the Panasonic PT-AX200U, and I'm leaning towards the CCW instead of the BW. I'm not interested in the grey one. My room isn't very well controlled for light at the moment, but the Panasonic is very bright.

Has anyone tested the CCW against the BW with the AX200U at short throws, with a small amount of ambient light?

P.S. If the Precision has equal quality, I'd consider just getting that just cuz it's cheaper, although the Criterion is definitely nice.

Great post. I still don't know which to get though.

I may have missed this but...did Carada make a suggestion as to which one?
-t

The Precision and Criterion are of the same quality. The Criterion is a little bigger on the edges and a little more upscale in appearance. If you need to save a few $$, go with the Precision. It's the screen material you're after in the long run.
post #557 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoguy View Post

I may have missed this but...did Carada make a suggestion as to which one?

I emailed them but I got no response. However, I didn't realize at the time that Monday might be a holiday for some. (I'm in Canada where it's a holiday, but since Projector People was working today I assumed it was not a holiday in the US. Now I learn it's Columbus Day.)

Quote:

The Precision and Criterion are of the same quality. The Criterion is a little bigger on the edges and a little more upscale in appearance. If you need to save a few $$, go with the Precision. It's the screen material you're after in the long run.

So it comes down to looks, and whether or not it's worth $100+ plus extra for the shipping. Hmmm...

I'm not convinced that the bevel will really reduce shadowing. Does it?
post #558 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I emailed them but I got no response. However, I didn't realize at the time that Monday might be a holiday for some. (I'm in Canada where it's a holiday, but since Projector People was working today I assumed it was not a holiday in the US. Now I learn it's Columbus Day.)

So it comes down to looks, and whether or not it's worth $100+ plus extra for the shipping. Hmmm...

Yes, it is Columbus Day. Some businesses observe it, some don't. I worked today but some friends had the day off.

It is mainly looks...Reduce what shadowing?
-t
post #559 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoguy View Post

Yes, it is Columbus Day. Some businesses observe it, some don't. I worked today but some friends had the day off.

Well, it turns out Carada is working today too. They saw my post and PM'd me to send another email.

You guys weren't kidding when you were praising Carada's service.

Quote:

It is mainly looks...Reduce what shadowing?

Probably no shadowing. It didn't make any sense to me either, but I saw a few posts somewhere mentioning this (as a theoretical issue).
post #560 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:

It depends on where your lighting is. I have a 104" 16:9 Precision screen with wall sconces. With the lights turned up, I get about a 1" shadow on my screen on the left and right side. I didn't even think about this when I was ordering the screen. In the end, I would have still gone with the Precision due to space constraints (I would have had to drop to the 100" in order to fit the Criterion due to ceiling height.)

If you don't have space constraints, I would recommend the Criterion. It's a great looking frame, but the bevel is what would sell me on it. If your lighting is such that shadowing won't be an issue, then the Precision will be fine, too, but you really need to think about that first.
post #561 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Here's a picture of my setup. You can see where the 1st pair of wall sconces are located. These are the lights that cause the shadow on the screen due to the Precision frame.

(Sorry the picture's not the greatest, but you can get an idea.)
LL
post #562 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I

Here's a prev. discussion on the beveled frame

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912792
post #563 of 1465 Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMac View Post

With the lights turned up, I get about a 1" shadow on my screen on the left and right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Here's a prev. discussion on the beveled frame

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912792

OK, that makes sense then. The reason I didn't understand it before is because I thought people were talking about shadowing from the projector source and wall reflections etc.

I am thus leaning towards the Criterion now. Unfortunately, 92" with the Criterion is gonna be a tight fit. An 88" or possibly a 90" is looking more attractive now. (One good thing about Carada is they'll custom make a 90" screen, for the cost of a 92".)

88" would give me more leeway in terms of left/right placement, and as I understand it, the Carada mount lets you slide things left and right as you please.
post #564 of 1465 Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Is anyone concerned about working with a company that only uses email for communication? I use email for everything, but to hold an interactive conversation via email can be difficult. You ask a question, they respond which raises another question, and all the sudden a day is gone.
post #565 of 1465 Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprager View Post

Is anyone concerned about working with a company that only uses email for communication? I use email for everything, but to hold an interactive conversation via email can be difficult. You ask a question, they respond which raises another question, and all the sudden a day is gone.

Why don't you call them?
post #566 of 1465 Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Call them. I'll probably have to do that soon, as I haven't heard from them lately. The last message I got said they had tons of emails over the w/e and are trying to work through them.

However, I'm not in any particular rush myself since I don't actually have my projector in-hand quite yet, and I'm not planning to order the screen until after I receive the projector.
post #567 of 1465 Old 10-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy View Post

Why don't you call them?

I think that's his point. On their website, in the contact us section, they specifically state that they don't have folks sitting around to answer phones and that email should be used for contacting them.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #568 of 1465 Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Call them. I'll probably have to do that soon, as I haven't heard from them lately. The last message I got said they had tons of emails over the w/e and are trying to work through them.

However, I'm not in any particular rush myself since I don't actually have my projector in-hand quite yet, and I'm not planning to order the screen until after I receive the projector.

There is no number listed on their web site, that I can find.
post #569 of 1465 Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no number listed on their web site, that I can find.

Good point. I can't find one either.
post #570 of 1465 Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

I think that's his point. On their website, in the contact us section, they specifically state that they don't have folks sitting around to answer phones and that email should be used for contacting them.

Mike
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page