Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1465 Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Will I be able to have my center speaker behind the Carada screen? It would be about 2' from the speaker.

Carada does not make acoustically transparent screens. If you place your center channel speaker behind the screen, it will block a lot of the high frequencies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1465 Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 AM

KC,

According to the projector calculations I did online. I should be able to mount it 16' from the screen. My room is 15x17 and the seats will be around 13'-14' from screen. The room is in the basement and there are 2 small windows in the room but I will have black out shades on them and for the most part will have total light control down there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #633 of 1465 Old 01-04-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone using a Carada BW screen with a Mits HC6000?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #634 of 1465 Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Just another mini update. I never realized how many new movies come out in 2.35:1 until now. Now more than ever it is important to get a good masking system. Of course I never really worried to much about the "gray" bars until I could get rid of them. Now even my family reminds me to "cover" the bars...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #635 of 1465 Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Get a decent projector with good blacks and you won't need to.
post #636 of 1465 Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 AM

Has anyone used a Carada Brilliant White screen with the new JVC RS2?
post #637 of 1465 Old 01-22-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr1 View Post

Has anyone used a Carada Brilliant White screen with the new JVC RS2?

Using one with the HD1, 126 inch. Wanted to go for the 134 but thought about the image when the bulb ages. Nice screen and the PQ is outstanding

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

post #638 of 1465 Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 PM

What is the best way to decide which Aspect Ratio to get? Do I need to go through my DVD collection and see which and how many movies per ratio I have the most of and decide on that factor or just get one that seems to be the standard in home theater? I mean I was going to get the 178.1 16:9 106" brilliant white screen and then I was looking at some of the other ratios like the 185.1 and 205.1

Also Carada's site gave the screen dimensions as 92.4" wide x 52" high (viewing surface) however when I went to another site (to figure out the throw and placement of the projector from screen) and plugged in how big I wanted the screen it said it would be 60" H x 122" Diagonal x 106" wide and placement would be 16' back in a 15x17 room. Are those dimensions (the latter) accurate for a 106" screen? Now that I think about it, if I use the OUTER FRAME dimensions of the Carada screen of 99.1 W x 58.6 H, that puts me closer to 106.

post #639 of 1465 Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Anyone using a Carada BW screen with a Mits HC6000?

I am. Mits 6000 and a 114" Carada BW Precision screen. With Lights out, its amazing. Complete 3d feel, blacks look great, colors great. This is my first projector and I am loving it. I was hoping for a little better black with the ambient lights on, but my theater room is in no way tuned for a theater, and its much better watching with lights out
post #640 of 1465 Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My setup will be similar to yours. Already looking at blackout shades. About the only time we will be here during daylights hours anyway will be on the weekends. It is usually dark when we go to work and dark when we get home. I will be projecting on a 92" screen.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #641 of 1465 Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 AM

I am looking at getting the Sony VW60, I just pulled the trigger on a 16:9 106" Criterion BW, .. the room is in the basement, and light control isn't an huge issue, the room is rather large, but not pitch black.

Seating will be 11-13' and PJ will be about 14' from the screen, .. anyone use a VW60 with this screen? Should I have gone with the 1.0? I don't want to wash out.

Also, I don't plan on getting a Panamorpic Lens anytime soon, but would 'consider' it for the future, are there any FAQs about aspect ratios I could browse through? Don't know if I should buy 2.35 and mask for 16:9 (assuming that's doable) for now ... or the other way around.

Advice would be most welcome ... or links to resources.

TIA.
post #642 of 1465 Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Check the 235 forum, they have TONS of info on that aspect ration.
Long story short, you could do a CH setup meaning 235 movies fill the screen (by zooming in or using a lens) and you mask the sides for anything else that is smaller.

Its an important decision of course so do much research before settling on either format and decide what you do a lot of.

An expert at anything was once a beginner...
Founder of the "F-WAF" group.
" WAF?!? F*** WAF! I put in on this house too you know... " =)
post #643 of 1465 Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM

Just ordered a 96" 16:9 in Brilliant White, which I'll be pairing up with the Panny AX200. Distance is about 14 ft, with seating at about 12ft. I've been using blackout cloth which I just have taped up on the wall for the last 3 weeks since I got the projector, but I have it no where near tensioned, there are tons of waves, which are absolutely killing me. But I decided that it would be worth picking up for $15 to play with the projected size when I was deciding how large to go. From my experimenting, I've found that 96" should be ideal.
It should arrive on Wed, and after I have it mounted, I'll post comments regarding how it compares to the droopy blackout cloth (I'm pretty sure you can all guess that they will be positive).

Rob

post #644 of 1465 Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg1983 View Post

I've been using blackout cloth which I just have taped up on the wall for the last 3 weeks since I got the projector, but I have it no where near tensioned, there are tons of waves, which are absolutely killing me. But I decided that it would be worth picking up for $15 to play with the projected size when I was deciding how large to go.

I too am using BOC as a temporary screen. I used thumbtacks and it is tensioned well without any waves at all.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey?
is a mini how-to.
Click
to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #645 of 1465 Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just ordered a Carada Precision 106' Brilliant White to pair with my Panny AX 200. I received several screen samples from Carada and Da-Lite and the BW was the choice of everyone who tested them with me.

The Carada CCW was nice as well, along with the Matte White and High Contrast Matte White from Da-Lite. The High Power positively glowed and probably would be good with sports but may seem unnatural with movies.

I'll be sitting 12 feet back with the projector about 18-20 feet back.

I decided on Carada in part due to the excellent customer service I received from Rex - he is superb!

Contrast that with 2 emails that I sent to another well known vendor that were never returned. No excuse for that.

Looking forward to receiving the screen - I'll post my impressions then.
post #646 of 1465 Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Great to hear, I just email Rex asking for some samples. Should have done that days ago instead of only deciding on what I read.

Does anyone have a Mitsubishi HC4900. I am trying to decide What screen to use with it. I read the BW should be for low power projectors 800 or less. HC4900 is at 1000 so I am wondering if it will be too bright in a very dark HT basement.

Also trying to decide how big to go length of room is over 30' but only 17 wide. Thinking of setting projector around 13' away because a local HT store recommended not going more than 13' away or going with a screen size larger than 120" diagonal. I have been testing it on a tan colored wall and its pretty good pic for no screen. I would like to set it up about 18 back for two row seating but dont want to lose quality. Hoping good screen will help.

any tips welcome
post #647 of 1465 Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshannon View Post

Does anyone have a Mitsubishi HC4900. I am trying to decide What screen to use with it. I read the BW should be for low power projectors 800 or less. HC4900 is at 1000 so I am wondering if it will be too bright in a very dark HT basement.

I have talked to Rex about my 4900 and he also recommended a BW screen.
My opinion is that he is probably right considering its not a HUGE amount of gain and still pretty neutral. On my wall though the CCW sample does look better/more natural but the BW is still a great screen so its a tough tough choice.

post #648 of 1465 Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Other than the black trim around the screen what is the big difference between the Criterion and Precision screen? I hear a lot of people say they have or are getting the Criterion BW screen. I hardly ever hear mentionings of the Classic Cinema or the High contrast grey or the Precision screen. I just bought the Panasonic AE2000 and trying to decide on the right screen. The room is located in the basement and I will have total light control. Brilliant White sounds the most popular but could I get away with classic cinema white using that projector?

post #649 of 1465 Old 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 View Post

Other than the black trim around the screen what is the big difference between the Criterion and Precision screen?

The only real difference between the Criterion and the Precision is the frame. You can get any of the 3 screen materials with either frame. The Criterion frame is wider and beveled (sp?). There are 2 pluses to having the beveled frame. First, it looks nicer, and second, is the elimination of shadows on the screen.

I purchased the Precision frame due to space constraints on my wall. I am very happy with it, but had I had enough room I would have gone with the Criterion. I have wall sconces, and when I have the lights turned up, I get about a 1" shadow on the sides of the screen from my lights closest to the screen. As the lights are dimmed, the problem begins to fix itself, but the beveled Criterion frame would have any shadows on the screen from frame.
post #650 of 1465 Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 PM

I just got my 118" BW from Carada, I am VERY pleased. Sorry about the white balance, I suck at taking pictures but the 2nd pic is with the lights on behind me (large kitchen lights) even though it doesnt look like it. BW is great.

Hats off Carada! I even had a question on SATURDAY about the mounting (I thought I had the wrong brackets) and once I hit send I had a phone call withing 10 minutes from Rex to go over the hardware. What other company does that?!
Thanks for the help REX! You guys got a return customer when I want to go bigger!

(Edit: Adding my info since questions are abound)

PJ: Mitsu4900
Screen: Carada 118" BW 1.78:1 Criterion
(sorry after MUCH debate with myself and my tests I don't think 2.35 is ready for prime time just yet, at least not for this household) Also the bottom pic is from about 12ft away in my seats if anyone is wondering about what that looks like.

post #651 of 1465 Old 02-18-2008, 06:18 AM

Are Panamorph and Prismasonic (sp?) the only two companies making anamorphic lenses for projectors? I am trying to decide if I want to get a 2:35:1 screen or just get a 1:78:1 now then upgrade later to the wider screen and lens.

post #652 of 1465 Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Soon to be another happy Carada Screen owner. My Carada is on its way. Thanks Rex and David for the great presale support. You guys are the best.,
post #653 of 1465 Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Is there a reason why the Carada 2:35:1 screens are cheaper in price compared to the 16:9 screens they make?

post #654 of 1465 Old 02-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 View Post

Is there a reason why the Carada 2:35:1 screens are cheaper in price compared to the 16:9 screens they make?

I have a 104" BW 16x9 but I did not realize the 2:35:1 was cheaper - I wanted a 16x9 and never looked further. My guess is most people are like me so I think it is a matter of supply and demand with the 16x9 being in bigger demand, hence, it can carry a bigger price tag. But I don't care what any Carada screen costs, it is worth it!

shortspark
post #655 of 1465 Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Actually the prices are based strictly on the underlying cost of materials and labor. When comparing a 1.78:1 screen to a 2.35:1 screen with the same viewing surface diagonal, the 1.78:1 screen will have more square footage of surface material as well as more aluminum in the frame, plus extra snaps, Black Hole trim, labor, etc.

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

What image do YOU want to project?
post #656 of 1465 Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 PM

Finally got far enough to put up my 110" BW Criterion screen. Took two of us to snap the screen material into place but was a breeze otherwise to install.

More work to be done on the screen wall but here's a pic:

The
Build Thread.

Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #657 of 1465 Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

I am considering a BW screen but not sure if the 1.4 gain will be too much. My projector lens is 13 ft from 96" diagonal 16:9 screen in total light controlled room. Right now I have Sony HS-20 but am concerned that plans to upgrade to Epson 1080UB might be too bright. I may increase screen to 100 in.but that is the max I can go because my screen is in between two "columns". I do like a bright pic and would pick brightness over contrast (if I have to), but will this set up be too washed out with the 1080UB? If puch came to shove, I could move the projector back to 18 ft. but that would also require new cables. Thoughts?

BTW....Hamster, what a georgeous looking set up you are building there!!! I really like the ceiling.

post #658 of 1465 Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM

I would strongly suggest sending this question over to Carada. They are very responsive, and will certainly give you a recommendation on screen material based on your projector and room setup.
post #659 of 1465 Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimpin View Post

I am considering a BW screen but not sure if the 1.4 gain will be too much. My projector lens is 13 ft from 96" diagonal 16:9 screen in total light controlled room. Right now I have Sony HS-20 but am concerned that plans to upgrade to Epson 1080UB might be too bright. I may increase screen to 100 in.but that is the max I can go because my screen is in between two "columns". I do like a bright pic and would pick brightness over contrast (if I have to), but will this set up be too washed out with the 1080UB? If puch came to shove, I could move the projector back to 18 ft. but that would also require new cables. Thoughts?

BTW....Hamster, what a georgeous looking set up you are building there!!! I really like the ceiling.

Thanks for the comments on the room. I have a Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB and have mounted it about 14 feet back. Shooting at my 110" BW screen is not too bright when I have all the lights off. You might find that your situation is similar.

The
Build Thread.

Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #660 of 1465 Old 03-16-2008, 07:24 AM

I just purchased a Carada Brilliant White 96" screen that is paired with a Sanyo Z2000. The screen produces a much brighter image than my previous Da-Lite screen. The image really pops out. Last night I watched POC at World's End on Blu-Ray. The movie has both very dark scenes as well as very bright scenes. I did not find the increase in brightness to cause any "washed out" appearance. Rather, everything seemed very vibrant. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page