The official Carada screen thread. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1512 Old 08-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No sooner than I posted this... Rex replied to my email. (Must be ESP).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1512 Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 PM

I should note that Rex also PM'd me about the creases in the screen I'm purchasing. This kind of attentiveness to those purchasing their product, even on the second hand market, shows that the folks at Carada have their priorities straight.
post #723 of 1512 Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

I am getting ready to buy a Carada screen for my Z2000 and have the same concern. I do have the samples, but has not been easy to test this. (long story).

What would be the recommended screen for a Z2000, batcave dark room black walls, 13' throw, 104" diag? I may be able to cut this down to about 11-12 feet throw by moving the screen forward by a foot or two.

I would have liked an AT screen, but I my main concern right now is image quality, to improve the pop and hopefully keep the black levels under control.

Thanks for any input.

Do youe self a favor and get the Briilant white.The z2000 is one of the dim fp.So the Bw will give you a killer pic.
post #724 of 1512 Old 08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I've tested both the Classic Cinema White (gain 1.0) and the Brilliant White (Gain 1.4) and honestly the difference wasn't that noticeable for me. I did A/B comparisons with the Carada samples, side by side, and spent 2+ hours with different grayscale patters, real-life movie conditions etc. To me it was more like a 1.0 vs 1.1 gain difference. Just so you don't expect miracles from a CCW screen... In any case, I would not like the greyish blacks that a true 1.4 gain white would provide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Do youe self a favor and get the Briilant white.The z2000 is one of the dim fp.So the Bw will give you a killer pic.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #725 of 1512 Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

I've tested both the Classic Cinema White (gain 1.0) and the Brilliant White (Gain 1.4) and honestly the difference wasn't that noticeable for me. I did A/B comparisons with the Carada samples, side by side, and spent 2+ hours with different grayscale patters, real-life movie conditions etc. To me it was more like a 1.0 vs 1.1 gain difference. Just so you don't expect miracles from a CCW screen... In any case, I would not like the greyish blacks that a true 1.4 gain white would provide...

Agreed.
I had the brilliant white, clasic cinema white and a few other samples over my Stewart ST130. The 1.4 gain Brilliant white was not as bright as the 1.3 stewart.
post #726 of 1512 Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
OK, after tinkering, and dragging my feet, it is finally time to finish my space...at least v1.0...and get a "real" screen. I'm glad to see there is a Carada thread; I've always been leaning this way, if for no other reason than a) they offer 1.85:1 ratio screens (I know the others will make whatever size you ask for, but who wants to go through that hassle; Carada offers these "out of the box"), b) the selection process is simplified (Da-Lite, do you want Cinema Contour, Da-Snap, Perm-Wall, Series 200, Series 300, etc...), and c) all things being equal, they seem to offer great value.

Here's a pic of v0.1

That's a 8' x 4' piece of laminate, so when the screen-wall is finished I should keep about 96" of width, but obviously my "real" screen is going to come down some. Once the room is rocked, I don't want to butt too close up against that sloping ceiling, but I'm hoping I can do 100 or 104" and still maintain about 28-29" to the bottom of the screen (I need that for my proposed cabinet and center). Here's a question, if I have to choose, would you go 104" with the thinner Precision framing, or go a little smaller, like 100", but with the thicker Criterion? The idea being, I assume, the thicker framing does a better job of "defining" the image, preventing light bleed, etc.? Even so, is it enough of a difference to sacrifice 4" or so of sweet, sweet digital video?

I currently have a VPL-AW15, so I'm definitely looking for a little gain, which means I'll be going BW. Now I said c) all things being equal, Carada seems to offer great value, but I will probably have a chance to order a Da-Lite at around the same price (I know a guy who knows a guy kinda thing). Any thoughts on comparing the two? Is it Carada is the better value, but at the same price Da-Lite has an edge, or is it still a pick-'em, even though I can get a deal on a Da-Lite?

Thanks for any help; can't wait to put that first BD up on the new screen,

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #727 of 1512 Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally finished up my dedicated room. Went with the Carada 126" 16:9 screen paired with the JVC HD1. Awesome pq and the quality of the frame is superb. Tad bit of a work snapping the material too frame but its a good thing, no creases or anything. Appreciate the help David/Rex and many thanks for shipping the screen to Japan.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #728 of 1512 Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Carada's booth at CEDIA Expo in Denver:

We're at booth # 375 on the main floor, showing the current Masquerade as well as our new Masquerade CIH (native 2.35:1) which will be shipping soon.

Please stop by and see us for a live demonstration.

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

What image do YOU want to project?
post #729 of 1512 Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great pic David! Wish I could be there to check it out. Great picture quality considering the ambient light that is probably present.

Any idea on pricing for the 2.35 CIH setup?

Just curious, what projectors are you using?
post #730 of 1512 Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks John! We haven't finalized pricing on the Masquerade CIH systems yet, but their pricing will be in roughly the same range as our current Masquerade systems. We hope to have that pricing posted on our website within a week or two after CEDIA.

The projector's we're using in our booth are Epson Pro Cinema 1080UB projectors that were graciously provided courtesy of Epson USA.

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #731 of 1512 Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Can we get some more pics of the CIH system, hard to see as it truly dissapears into the background (which is certainly a good thing).
post #732 of 1512 Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

We'll definitely post some nice photos of the Masquerade CIH when we have it in an appropriate environment for closeups. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, it is virtually impossible to get decent photos of the Black Hole trimmed system mounted on a black wall under the shadows of the booth's roof. But the Masquerade CIH uses the same fascia extrusions as our horizontal Masquerade, so a CIH system will look just like the systems on our website, except in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (and of course the masking panels will drop vertically on each side of of the image as opposed to deploying across the top and bottom of the image as on a native 16:9 system).

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #733 of 1512 Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

ive been looking at the criterion series...more than likely between 114 and 134 and 1.0 gain...i looked through some of the posts and dont see any major complaints about hotspotting...anyone have major hotspotting problems? carada seems like a nice choice as i HATE special ordering from dealers in my area...every time ive tried special ordering anything from any of them (other than ken cranes) they take WAY to long to get anything delivered and customer service has been nothing to write home about either...and since we have peeps who work at carada on this thread about how long does it normally take to ship one of these to san diego? i didnt see anything on the page about overnight shipping, 3 day shipping or anything like that...just a flat rate
post #734 of 1512 Old 09-08-2008, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

WaveyD4vey:

A 1.0 gain will not produce any hotspotting. Even a 1.3 gain should produce no noticeable HS... but again, 1.0 reflects straight back, so no HS.

post #735 of 1512 Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

...and since we have peeps who work at carada on this thread about how long does it normally take to ship one of these to san diego? i didnt see anything on the page about overnight shipping, 3 day shipping or anything like that...just a flat rate

Hi WaveyD4vey,

We ship from central Alabama via FedEx Ground & Home Delivery service so most screens take about 4-5 working days to get to San Diego (after production of the screen of course). The shipping price on our website is for this shipping service. Home Deliveries are made TUESDAY-SATURDAY each week except for published holidays at FedEx.

Expedited shipping is usually available as an option after production of the screen, but that is quoted individually based on the specific delivery address. Contact us at info@carada.com with an address and screen size, aspect ratio and frame style and we will provide you a quotation for 3-day, 2-day and/or overnight delivery service.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Rex Bittle

post #736 of 1512 Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Nice write-up on the Masquerade in this months Home Theater Magazine.
post #737 of 1512 Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks NashTech!!

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #738 of 1512 Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 AM

David or anyone for that matter,

I need a 110" screen that will be mounted about 7 inches from the ceiling (only possible location). The projector (1080UB Home) will be ceiling mounted, as close to the ceiling as possible to avoid someone walking into it. My take is the lens will be close to level with the top of the screen. Not ideal, I understand but the best we could do. The room will be complete light controlled. What would be the best Carada 16x9 screen with a fixed frame mount? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #739 of 1512 Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Just me_2004,

With the 1080UB on a 110" diagonal screen I would recommend Brilliant White. Either of our frame styles will work well, unless your projector's lens is above the screen's frame in which case the Criterion Series would be a better choice because its beveled face wouldn't block any light from the projector.

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #740 of 1512 Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Ordered a 106.7" (Custom) Criterion, Brilliant White screen this morning from Rex. Helpful service over the phone, fielded all my questions and then quickly replied to some follow up questions over email afterwards. What a nice way to start my morning.

The screen is for my folks, I am working on finishing their basement theatre, picked up a Sony VW60 for them and decided to go with the Brilliant White after chatting with Rex because of the throw distance. Can't wait for it to show up and see it in action.
post #741 of 1512 Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The Criterion Screen is awesome. The bevel is what I really like about it. Looks like a huge plasma on the wall. Very happy customer here as Im sure your parents will love it with the VW60.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #742 of 1512 Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 118 inch brilliant white criterion series screen, aspect ratio is 1.78 to 1,that I'm looking to sell. We are moving soon and am getting rid of some stuff before hand. Screen is like brand new still and my home is smoke free. I'm from Oklahoma so anyone from Oklahoma or surrounding close by states could possibly meet me somewhere so no shipping would be involved OR I can ship to anybody. Cost me about $1,000 when I got it last year, looking to get $750. If interested please pm me.
post #743 of 1512 Old 09-21-2008, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Read the forum rules... the admins get real testy about posts like this... posting items for sale is not welcome in the forums. Don't ask me why, as I personally dislike the rule, but I just warn this will get you banned forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

I have a 118 inch brilliant white criterion series screen, aspect ratio is 1.78 to 1,that I'm looking to sell. We are moving soon and am getting rid of some stuff before hand. Screen is like brand new still and my home is smoke free. I'm from Oklahoma so anyone from Oklahoma or surrounding close by states could possibly meet me somewhere so no shipping would be involved OR I can ship to anybody. Cost me about $1,000 when I got it last year, looking to get $750. If interested please pm me.

post #744 of 1512 Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Finally... after having to let my folks 106" BW Criterion Carada screen sit in its box while we waited for the basement to be finished we got a chance to assemble the screen the other night!

It was fun and easy to do, the white gloves are the perfect added touch. The Sony VW60 looks great, sat through large portions of the new Indy and Ironman on Blu Ray and the picture is perfect, looking forward to the Hulk this weekend. It makes me not want to come home and watch my 720p 92"

I think my folks are going to enjoy the theatre for a couple of months and then we are going to look at brining in a professional calibrator to tweak it out a little more.
post #745 of 1512 Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post

I think my folks are going to enjoy the theatre for a couple of months and then we are going to look at brining in a professional calibrator to tweak it out a little more.

Does brining the calibrator make him more tender and tasty?
post #746 of 1512 Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy View Post

Does brining the calibrator make him more tender and tasty?

Maybe not, but it sure would create a picklish situation for doing a calibration.
post #747 of 1512 Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM

Hi David or Rex

I'm very new too this so bear wit me, I just purchase the Sony VPL-HW10 projector and currently using a panoview 120" screen, no matter how much I adjust the picture I still end up with about 1/2" of overspill on the lower right cornner. Will the carada screen fix my problem since on your website state it absorb any overspill.

Also if I go with the 2.35 screen, how would a 1.78 picture would look like?

Many Thanks!
post #748 of 1512 Old 10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pkkf26 View Post

Hi David or Rex

I'm very new too this so bear wit me, I just purchase the Sony VPL-HW10 projector and currently using a panoview 120" screen, no matter how much I adjust the picture I still end up with about 1/2" of overspill on the lower right cornner. Will the carada screen fix my problem since on your website state it absorb any overspill.

Also if I go with the 2.35 screen, how would a 1.78 picture would look like?

Many Thanks!

Hi b1pkkf26,

It sounds like your projector isn't mounted perfectly "square" with respect to your screen, causing the image to be non-rectangular. No screen can actually "fix" that problem, although our Black Hole trim DOES do a very good job of absorbing overspill. But depending on how bright the image is, you MAY notice the overspill on occasion.

If you go with a 2.35:1 screen, when you project a 1.78:1 image within the height of that screen, you will have vertical black bars on both sides of the image. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email. Thanks b1pkkf26!

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #749 of 1512 Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM

thanks for your quick reply David, can you pm your email address, I have a few more questions.

Thanks again.
post #750 of 1512 Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pkkf26 View Post

thanks for your quick reply David, can you pm your email address, I have a few more questions.

Thanks again.

You're welcome! Actually the word "email" in my first message was a clickable link to my email address, but for clarification the address is davidg@carada.com

I'll look forward to hearing from you!

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page