Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1465 Old 04-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

roddey and Chris, interesting posts. roddey, I'm not sure if you have a dedicated HT, but if your local theater is going to close, you may be able to get some good deals on snack bar items, signs, posters, etc.

Going back to 2002 when I first got involved at AVS, I was mostly interested in the sound. I live in a community where people spend considerable sums of money having home theaters built in their basements. Some of them are quite nice with amazing bars and lots of custom woodwork, but I have not seen one yet with any acoustic treatment. I made sure we didn't have an echo chamber and most of the movies I was excited to watch (hear) had big LFE tracks. I had what was considered a pretty good projector (BenQ7800) in it's day. It was a $5k projector but only 576p. I could upscale via an Oppo 971 and DVI. But now I have an FPJ1 and I just go down to the HT and just stare at the screen late at night with the volume turned down Go figure. Our room is dark and with all the lights and the pj off, you have to feel your way out. I've tripped on the step up to the rear riser quite a few times. I'm still using a cheap 110" screen kit that cost me $220. I'm quite satisfied with that screen in our dark room, but I do wonder if I would see the difference if I bought a better screen.

Yes the theatre must be in probate right now. Its been closed for about 6 months and is untouched. I am keeping an eye on it.
About the screen I cant commit about the change because I have not seen mine on a screen like yours. Just a white wall. But I think Carada gives a trial period? Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1465 Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Should I stay with a 1.78 carada or go with a 2.35 or 2.40? Any suggestions?

Thought about just doing a masking system but wont my 2.35.1 image be bigger if I go with a 2.35.1 screen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #903 of 1465 Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

How far back are you siiting from you 126 inch screen?

Chris my 1st row is at 12.5 feet and my 2nd row is at 15 feet. Perfect as I don't feel like I'm very close at all. I wanted to go larger but with the help of Rex I went with the 126 and it fits my room just perfect. FYI room is 14x22 with black screen wall and ceiling. Screen is 16:9 aspect, Criterion model using BW material paired with JVC RS10

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #904 of 1465 Old 04-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

Chris my 1st row is at 12.5 feet and my 2nd row is at 15 feet. Perfect as I don't feel like I'm very close at all. I wanted to go larger but with the help of Rex I went with the 126 and it fits my room just perfect. FYI room is 14x22 with black screen wall and ceiling. Screen is 16:9 aspect, Criterion model using BW material paired with JVC RS10

Ah, thanks for those pics. I am about to buy that same 126in screen. I have a 20x20 room. How far back is your projector? I think I am going with a Panny 3000 so I think I should be ok. It's a bat cave.
post #905 of 1465 Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

at 12.5 ft does the image look good and are you having to move your eyes around more? is the 15ft distance better then the 12.5ft?

I might decide to go with 2.35 screen. But not sure yet.

post #906 of 1465 Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesc View Post

Ah, thanks for those pics. I am about to buy that same 126in screen. I have a 20x20 room. How far back is your projector? I think I am going with a Panny 3000 so I think I should be ok. It's a bat cave.

My projector is the JVC RS10 and its mounted back at around 19 feet. Panny should be ok, I suggest using PJ calculator.

Quote:

at 12.5 ft does the image look good and are you having to move your eyes around more? is the 15ft distance better then the 12.5ft?

I might decide to go with 2.35 screen. But not sure yet.

No I dont have to move my eyes at that viewing distance, image looks very good. I even game in the 1st row on the 360. 2nd row is good but I normally sit in front row and enjoy. I was thinking of going bigger but I dont think I can. The 126" puts you right there in the action and the Criterion screen looks awesome when not in use.

post #907 of 1465 Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Count me in as a new owner. I ordered a 106" Precision BW and service from David has been very good (with emails answered very promptly).

Coupled with my Panny AE3000, the images are great.

One question though: there are some minor wrinkles on the screen. It's been installed and stretched for about 3 days now and the wrinkles have faded somewhat but still there. Has anyone got any tips on how to get them out?
post #908 of 1465 Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

One question though: there are some minor wrinkles on the screen. It's been installed and stretched for about 3 days now and the wrinkles have faded somewhat but still there. Has anyone got any tips on how to get them out?

You could try using a hairdryer, but I would contact Carada, first...just to be sure.
post #909 of 1465 Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Knd

Liked: 11
We bought a 118" BW Precision (Epson 6500 from 14.5 feet - looks great on low lamp) a couple of weeks ago and we also had wrinkles. I emailed Carada and they sent back a detailed description of what to do - basically wait long enough they will will most likely disappear (due to screen tension) or you can apply gentle heat (preferrable to the back of the screen) and they will slowly disappear. They said to use a hair dryer and not a heat gun and to slowly heat up. If you're applying heat to the screen surface be very careful as you could affect the the screen properties and it will be noticeable while viewing. Also, don't touch the screen or try and press them out while heating. I don't have the email in front of me but that's what I recall them telling me.

Our wrinkles were not visible during projecting and can only be seen when you get up close to the screen, so I'm just waiting to see if they eventually disappear. To be honest they may already be gone as I haven't check in a week or so.
post #910 of 1465 Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Thanks MarkMac & Knd. I received a message from Rex setting out the do's and dont's and I'll be trying that out later.
post #911 of 1465 Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any Canadian owner know how much duty they got nailed for when they got their screens?

I'm debating on a Carada or an Elite since it's already at some suppliers here and would save huge on shipping, duty, taxes etc.

I love the look of Carada and deff want one but trying to see how much more it's actualy gonna be by the time it goes onmy wall.

Also anyone know if they have Gov't pricing?

Thanks

Must love home theaters!!
post #912 of 1465 Old 06-30-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyle13 View Post

Any Canadian owner know how much duty they got nailed for when they got their screens?

Hi bdoyle13,

Fortunately Carada Projection Screens are duty-free to Canada, and brokerage fees are included in the shipping price. Of course as you know, there is still applicable GST (as well as PST and HST in some provinces). I believe the going rate for GST is 5% at this time but as a Canadian resident you will probably know more about that for your area than I do.

There aren't any special discounts to apply to the selling prices but there is also no upcharge on the screen for being a Canadian resident. The price is the same as a US resident; it just costs a little more to ship it to you.

You are welcome to PM me if you have more specific questions to be answered or need help choosing the screen to fit your theater. Thanks for your interest in Carada bdoyle13!

Rex Bittle

post #913 of 1465 Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
PM sent. Thanks

Must love home theaters!!
post #914 of 1465 Old 07-04-2009, 07:11 AM

I brought my used Carada 110" BW 16:9 Criterion from a member here and i love it. Epson 6500 throw is about 13.5~ to the screen and we sit right under the PJ and the picture is amazing. This is a major upgrade from a 8 year old 27" T.V with rabbit ears

post #915 of 1465 Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone used velcro on a the black hole frame material for DIY masking. Wondering if using a couple of velcro dots the adhesive will destroy the material when removed after being in place for a long time?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #916 of 1465 Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Anyone used velcro on a the black hole frame material for DIY masking.

Yes! I have velcro strips along the top and bottom of my 2.35:1 92-inch Carada screen. I hang matte-black foamcore panels on the left and right to create 1.85 and 1.33 masking, and it works great! HOWEVER... the Velcro does need to be "heavy duty" or "industrial strength" in order to cling effectively to the black hole material, and it will still start to peel off over time. I've made a habit out of patting it down from time to time. But it's worth it; super-cheap and super-effective masking!
post #917 of 1465 Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze View Post

Yes! I have velcro strips along the top and bottom of my 2.35:1 92-inch Carada screen. I hang matte-black foamcore panels on the left and right to create 1.85 and 1.33 masking, and it works great! HOWEVER... the Velcro does need to be "heavy duty" or "industrial strength" in order to cling effectively to the black hole material, and it will still start to peel off over time. I've made a habit out of patting it down from time to time. But it's worth it; super-cheap and super-effective masking!

I guess the fact that it needs patting down every now and then is a good tradeoff from it peeling off the black hole material when removed. Thanks.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #918 of 1465 Old 07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got to find the industrial strength velcro; regular velcro didn't work. The top bar, made from 1/2" rigid insulation with J metal top and bottom (not velveted yet), pulled the velcro off the black hole material within 24 hours.The masking bar fell to floor. Glad I thought to put a couple of pillows and a comforter over my my Dunlavy HRCC center channel speaker just in case!

See ya. Dave

post #919 of 1465 Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Tried the Industrial Strength Velcro, but have removed it. I've decided the room gets too warm during the day with the windows closed, usually when no one is home, to trust the adhesive between the Velcro and the black hole fabric.

Plus, velcro really grabs tight between the hook and fabric patches, making adjustments a minor chore. I do want maximum flexibility in setting the masks for different aspect ratios (2.35 and 2.40, and centering issues for example), but I've got to come up with something easier I think. I suspect it'll be something with the masks extending past the screen edges and supported from the wall, but I haven't seen the right solution on any threads so far. Something that could allow the masks to slide up and down into random positions manually, like seperate pulleys for top and bottom, that doesn't look like somebody's clothesline.

See ya. Dave

post #920 of 1465 Old 07-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Tried the Industrial Strength Velcro, but have removed it. I've decided the room gets too warm during the day with the windows closed, usually when no one is home, to trust the adhesive between the Velcro and the black hole fabric.

Plus, velcro really grabs tight between the hook and fabric patches, making adjustments a minor chore. I do want maximum flexibility in setting the masks for different aspect ratios (2.35 and 2.40, and centering issues for example), but I've got to come up with something easier I think. I suspect it'll be something with the masks extending past the screen edges and supported from the wall, but I haven't seen the right solution on any threads so far. Something that could allow the masks to slide up and down into random positions manually, like seperate pulleys for top and bottom, that doesn't look like somebody's clothesline.

The idea I've been cooking around my head is to mount some pins or brackets to each side of the screen at the proper hieght from the bottom and maybe top. And then a stiff pipe...heavy gauge aluminum or steel to run the length of the screen. Material with a pocket to run the length of the pipe thru.

From the bottom of the screen, lift it up in place.
From the top of the screen, let it roll down. Might not even need the pipe.
Or use pipe to create side masks when viewing 3:4.

That's the idea anyway...
-t
post #921 of 1465 Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm milling around a pulley system, where the cable and two pulley's are spaced two mask widths plus apart. The mask is attached to the front part of the cable that runs around the pulley's. Pull it up or down into position depending if it's the top mask or the bottom mask (being two separate systems), and turn a thumbscrew coming from the front of the pulley and cable to secure. Easily adjustable to wherever the top and bottom of the picture end up, depending on aspect and centering. Mount it all on a board, so the whole thing is just a little bit deeper than the thickness of the screen frame. Maybe put a cap over it all just for appearances. The system sits left and right of the screen, attached to the wall, and the mask extends that much beyond the screen edges.

Problem is, I'm better at thinking stuff up then implementing. And when I do implement, I screw it up a couple of times before getting it somewhat right. If I could buy this setup (Hello Carada folks!) I would, rather than going through the motions.

See ya. Dave

post #922 of 1465 Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Carada should make some manual masking panels like SMX has. I bet they would sell good and it would be great for us who cant afford a electric masking system..

Would any of you DIY people be able to make some masking panels and sell them?

post #923 of 1465 Old 07-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Carada should make some manual masking panels like SMX has. I bet they would sell good and it would be great for us who cant afford a electric masking system..

I agree a manual system would sell decently but lots of folks want that "push button" ability. That's what dealers go for. Better margins on the sale too.

DIY folks take the longest to do anything!! Took me 2 years to build my HT!

-t
post #924 of 1465 Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be a nice alternative. I'm still saving for my masquerade, so close just not sure I want to splurge that kind of coin.

post #925 of 1465 Old 07-15-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Chrisx510;16825941]Carada should make some manual masking panels like SMX has. I bet they would sell good and it would be great for us who cant afford a electric masking system..

QUOTE]

I'm sure the Carada crew have seen our posts. Only question now is can they have them ready by next weekend?

See ya. Dave

post #926 of 1465 Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
I just wanted to throw my two cents in here for anyone considering Carada screens. I just ordered my 118 BW after changing my mind roughly 36 times, even after placing the order. Simply put it was one of the very best customer service experiences I have had from the advice to the samples to the shipment and the 15 emails in between. I realize this is simply an echo of everything already reported but when a company goes that above and beyond it is worth repeating.

Looking forward to receiving the screen in a few days.
post #927 of 1465 Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Yep.

In my very complicated home theater reno I've dealt with a great many manufacturers and contractors, and nothing has come close to the customer service of Carada.

Rich H

post #928 of 1465 Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I don't think the current carada frames can accomodate manual masks like the SMX propanels so they may have to redesign the frames if they wanted to go down this route. Just my guess though.

Personally, I think manual masks are easy enough to DIY and I'd rather have Carada focus their attention on creating a woven AT screen that can snap into their current frames. It'd be an easy way for current customers to move to AT.

post #929 of 1465 Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post

I don't think the current carada frames can accomodate manual masks like the SMX propanels so they may have to redesign the frames if they wanted to go down this route. Just my guess though.

Personally, I think manual masks are easy enough to DIY and I'd rather have Carada focus their attention on creating a woven AT screen that can snap into their current frames. It'd be an easy way for current customers to move to AT.

Unfortunately, because their Criterion frame has a beveled edge down to the screen, a friction fit mask isn't really possible as it is with others. I'm having trouble coming up with a somewhat easy way of attaching otherwise. Velcro and magnets on the frame face haven't really panned out, and I haven't wanted to mess up the walls on the left and right with a beyond the frame edge mask yet. If there was a real clean way to do that, and could still be adjustable, I'd jump on board.

See ya. Dave

post #930 of 1465 Old 07-21-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I can't imagine manual masks being very hard to DIY. How bout this...

- create 2 panels out of foam board and wrap in velvet.
- install 2 very small black hooks at the top of each side of the frame
- make 2 small holes in the foam board and then hook the masks onto the frame when watching 16:9.

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page