The official Carada screen thread. - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1439 Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What should I use to clean the Carada 136" screen? Kids bumped into it -- got some dirt marks on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1439 Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Carada will do custom screens for you, just ask.

I use the Sim2 HT380 projector. I had a buddy come over and he said it was "too big", so to each their own lol. If I had a back row, he would have been sitting there...=(

For a 180" screen, what is your viewing distance?

Mike
post #1083 of 1439 Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
13-17ft right now. It is a 2.37 ratio (not 1.78) so it's maybe not as large as some think.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #1084 of 1439 Old 02-14-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

is it 180" wide or diagonal?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #1085 of 1439 Old 02-14-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

is it 180" wide or diagonal?

Boy, at 180 / 2.37 it's near a wash..

And here I thought I was too close: 11-13ish feet for a 126" dia screen..

Impressive elmalloc!!

My wife would want the rear row as well...

Love DIY
post #1086 of 1439 Old 02-14-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

170" wide 2.37.

Hah, I haven't shown it to too many people yet as I'm not nearly done setting the theater up ( in fact have no speakers right now, argh). So I'm 1 for 2 in saying the seats are in the right position.

Current Projects:
post #1087 of 1439 Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish I had the room to go 170" wide. If I went wall to wall I go still only go 130" wide

Hopefully one day I'll have the room to go much bigger by then.

My First Home Theater

post #1088 of 1439 Old 02-15-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

You never know man, I started looking at all of the rooms in my house and all orientations. I started to get crazy ideas once you open your mind to get away from outta the box situations.

Also filling the complete width of a wall gives the illusion of a larger screen. I bet your 130" wide (if fully taken) would look like mine (size wise).

My friend thought it was too big and kept looking left to right (lol). Most of the action is in the middle anyway. I'm going to have something odd I think, chairs in the 1st "row" will not be in front of the chairs in the 2nd row, so they don't block its reclining mechanism due to not enough room for two rows - and it allows some people to sit farther away.

-ELmO

Current Projects:
post #1089 of 1439 Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My friend thought it was too big and kept looking left to right (lol). Most of the action is in the middle anyway. I'm going to have something odd I think, chairs in the 1st "row" will not be in front of the chairs in the 2nd row, so they don't block its reclining mechanism due to not enough room for two rows - and it allows some people to sit farther away.

-ELmO

It all comes down to personal preference anyway - and I bet your room/setup will be awesome ELmO.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #1090 of 1439 Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

13-17ft right now. It is a 2.37 ratio (not 1.78) so it's maybe not as large as some think.

When do you get your screen bro? I'm dying to see the monster setup and in action. GL bro

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #1091 of 1439 Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

So, I'm finally finishing the home theater in my basement. Here is what I have:

InFocus IN76 DLP Projector
1280x720 resolution, 1000 ANSI lumens, 3000:1 contrast

It's ceiling mounted about 13' from the wall. Currently I have an old DaLite tripod screen set up in front of the wall, but I want to replace it with a Carada screen.

One thing that might affect the help you give is that I intend to replace this 4 year old projector with a 1080p one at some point in the next couple of years. I'm still on my original lamp, and have been running it in econ (not high power mode) the whole time.

Questions

1. As everyone asks... which screen surface? Given that the basement is completely dark even during midday, I am leaning towards the Classic Cinema White (CCW). What about the high contrast grey - is it even necessary given most newer projectors now?

2. Can the Critereon frames be mounted "off" the wall easily? I have an access door in the middle of the wall that I will cover over with the screen, and it sticks out about 1.5 inches from the wall. So i was planning on adding some wood to raise the mounting brackets about 2 inches away from the wall. Feasible?

3. I am leaning towards the 102" diagonal screen. Which is pretty much as large as I can get and have room for speakers on the sides. The wall is 152" wide, and the 102" diagonal screen is 93" wide with the frames - leaving about 30" on each side of the screen. Thoughts? This fits well with the InFocus IN76 lens and throw... and hopefully will fit with future projectors.

Thanks for any help!
-Dan
post #1092 of 1439 Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgehred View Post

Hi Everyone,

So, I'm finally finishing the home theater in my basement. Here is what I have:

InFocus IN76 DLP Projector
1280x720 resolution, 1000 ANSI lumens, 3000:1 contrast

It's ceiling mounted about 13' from the wall. Currently I have an old DaLite tripod screen set up in front of the wall, but I want to replace it with a Carada screen.

One thing that might affect the help you give is that I intend to replace this 4 year old projector with a 1080p one at some point in the next couple of years. I'm still on my original lamp, and have been running it in econ (not high power mode) the whole time.

Questions

1. As everyone asks... which screen surface? Given that the basement is completely dark even during midday, I am leaning towards the Classic Cinema White (CCW). What about the high contrast grey - is it even necessary given most newer projectors now?

2. Can the Critereon frames be mounted "off" the wall easily? I have an access door in the middle of the wall that I will cover over with the screen, and it sticks out about 1.5 inches from the wall. So i was planning on adding some wood to raise the mounting brackets about 2 inches away from the wall. Feasible?

3. I am leaning towards the 102" diagonal screen. Which is pretty much as large as I can get and have room for speakers on the sides. The wall is 152" wide, and the 102" diagonal screen is 93" wide with the frames - leaving about 30" on each side of the screen. Thoughts? This fits well with the InFocus IN76 lens and throw... and hopefully will fit with future projectors.

Thanks for any help!
-Dan

I got a CCW 104" 2.35:1 Criterion about a month ago now. I have good light control in my basement HT, and I am happy I chose the CCW for when my wife wants a little low level lighting. Panasonic PT-AE4000u at 14'. viewing at 13'.

For your point 2, you might want to request two small mounting brackets to replace the one large. That way you could have one bracket on each side of the door. And get good quality wall anchors if you need to go into drywall. You could probably put up a 2x4 attached to studs and mount the brackets to that to give extra door clearance.

post #1093 of 1439 Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Is there a big difference between the Classic Cinema White and Brilliant White ?

I'm looking to go to a 114" from 15' but my projector is rated at 1200 lumans(Sanyo Z2000).
Just wonder if I should go with the BW to get the extra gain or if my projector will emit enough light to use the CCW.

*I currently have a 100" with a gain of 1.3 and the projector is at 10.5'.

post #1094 of 1439 Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 AM

I thought I would write a quick comparison as I just switched from a 100" firehawk to a 128" 2.35 Carada. I was concerned when I sold my Stewart that I would suffer a downgrade in PQ, however after hanging the Carada Brillant White screen I can say I am truly impressed. I have not used any measuring equipment but the picture appears to be brighter and has more pop I have not noticed any degradation in the picture whatsoever. I truly have no regrets about switching.
The one area where I had issues with the Carada was the attention to detail in the build quality. None of the holes were drilled correctly so I had to drill 20 holes out to get the screws to catch. However once everything was put together and hung the screen and frame look excellent. If anyone is reading this and considering switching to a Carada I think you will be very happy.
post #1095 of 1439 Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very strange having to drill out those holes. I wonder how that got screwed up at the factory.

Having not heard that before and mine being perfect in it's quality control, it sounds like a one-off thing. What did Carada have to say about it?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1096 of 1439 Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Very strange having to drill out those holes. I wonder how that got screwed up at the factory.

Having not heard that before and mine being perfect in it's quality control, it sounds like a one-off thing. What did Carada have to say about it?

That is bizarre.... shouldn't he have used toggle bolts if he was drilling through sheet rock? Toggle bolts have enough strength carrying capacity to hold up a screen.
post #1097 of 1439 Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Just a quick question. Has anyone gone from Black out cloth to this type of screen. I currently use black out cloth (at the time i was kinda broke), but have decided to pull the trigger on a new screen. I'm having trouble deciding what screen to go with, and honestly carada fits my budget. Even if the image doesnt improve much, I will love the clean look of a professionla screen. I just wanted to see if anyone had gone from BOC to this.
post #1098 of 1439 Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Completely concur...?

My Carada purchase/screen was bar far one of the best purchases I have made/received in quite some time.. Product was literally flawless and perfect in shipping and packaging. I thought the construction/quality of workmanship was superb. Only issue I had was the instructions for mounting the upper and lower brackets was about 1/4 of an inch different.

Hopefully Tim reported his issues to Carada.

Love DIY
post #1099 of 1439 Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 PM

I would have to agree my carada 110 inch came packaged very well and the fit and finish is superb. I did have the same issue with the top and bottom bracket being off about 1/4 of a inch. Other than that 100 percent pleased with the screen and picture on it.
post #1100 of 1439 Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 AM

After I posted my comments on the Carada screen I got an email from Rex almost immediately asking for more information on my build issues (I guess he reads the forums). It is so nice to do business with a company like Carada where they actually are concerned about the quality of their products and the experience for the end user.

To respond to the other comments on here the problem I had was with the screws that held the frame together. When I tried to tighten them I couldn't get the screws to thread without striping the heads out, after messing with them for about 20 minutes I decided it would be easier to open the holes up slightly which worked perfectly. It really was a minor inconvenience and the finished product looks amazing, every bit as good as the Stewart that I had before for about 1/3 the price.

Last night I watched the first movie on the new screen and it is safe to say I enjoy the picture from the Carada more than the Stewart. The Brillant White material has a nice even gain that adds a nice bit of punch to image. Overall I couldn't be happier with the screen.
post #1101 of 1439 Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
I know this question has come up from time to time, but I haven't seen it addressed in a while - with all the great, professional masking options that Carada offers, have they considered developing some kind of acoustically transparent material? I see the two (masking and AT material) going hand in hand because masking is all about achieving that "polished" look in your theater, and nothing could look more polished than having your speakers hidden behind your screen, projecting sound from where the action is happening

I currently have a CIW Masquerade with a 96" diag DIY AT screen, but I'll probably be moving in the next 6 months to 1 year and will be wanting to move to a much bigger CIH screen. Ultimately I could do another DIY screen, but I would honestly pay extra for a fully integrated Carada AT/masking solution rather than going through the pain of building another screen myself.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #1102 of 1439 Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Carada has no intrest in a AT screen I wish they would.

KJ
post #1103 of 1439 Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Rich
post #1104 of 1439 Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^^^

I'm not sure if that is "on topic",,, but I can handle it - and see the relevance.....

Love DIY
post #1105 of 1439 Old 03-16-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I can see the ad with that picture now..."With a properly calibrated projector you too can see perfect skin tones on her ass cheeks with a Carada screen!"

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1106 of 1439 Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post

Carada has no intrest in a AT screen I wish they would.

Would probably boost there sales..

My First Home Theater

post #1107 of 1439 Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jive turkey View Post

i can see the ad with that picture now..."with a properly calibrated projector you too can see perfect skin tones on her ass cheeks with a carada screen!"

+1 :d
post #1108 of 1439 Old 03-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

^^^^^^^^

I'm not sure if that is "on topic",,, but I can handle it - and see the relevance.....

Hey its a 110" BW Carada screen. It have much relevance.

Rich
post #1109 of 1439 Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is anyone using a Carada with a Mitsu HC6800???

I am considering a Carada Criterion BW 118 diag in 16/9 format. I thought that the Criterion would be easier to mask with the foam masks mentioned elsewhere in the forum since they may fit just by friction within the 1" border? of the screen.

According to PCentral, the screen brightness would be around 21 FL for that screen..Would that be a good FL target...particularly over time when the lamp dims out?? I don't want to have a too dim screen..

Does anybody knows if the PCentral calculations are based on the Projector in High or low lamp???

I woud like to have a 2.35:1 screen, but a 103" wide will give me just a 43" ht image in 16/9 format program...which may be too small....a 110 Wide will be 46" ht in 16/9 and 19 FL which could be a good compromise....but my room is just about 12 ft wide, so it is maybe too close....Otherwise, using some type of horizontal masking on the 16/9 might do the trick, and I may end with the best of both worlds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was considering a HP 2.8 screen, but my sample yielded to high black levels which I don't like, considering that the Mistus 6800 is not a high contrast projector... that concerns me.....I understand that samples won't tell the whole story,,,but thats what I got to test....Will the Carada BW have a similar effects on the blacks levels..?????
post #1110 of 1439 Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

....Otherwise, using some type of horizontal masking on the 16/9 might do the trick, and I may end with the best of both worlds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bump a thread called "My latest masking trial" in the DIY Screen subforum regarding some masking I made for my 118" 1.78 Carada screen. Follow through to the end of the thread where the final results are shown.

See ya. Dave

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page