The official Carada screen thread. - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 1554 Old 01-13-2006, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
height of screen?

I bought a 100" 1.78 carada ccw to go w/ my mits hc3000u ... what height should I hang my screen at?

I'll be sitting ~12' from the screen.

Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1554 Old 01-16-2006, 04:20 PM

You eyes should be about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom edge of the screen.

Your screen height is about 49 in.
49/3= 16.3 in from bottom = eye height.

Bob
post #93 of 1554 Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 PM

That depends on your theatre seats. From a seminar I attended, architecture guidelines for theatres put the vertical angle from eyes to screen centre at 15 degrees or less. Our screen is mounted with the centre of the screen 12.5 degrees above eye level, which puts the bottom of the screen at eye level. Since we watch sitting in recliners, we find this quite comfortable. It also works well for speaker placement since it allows us to have the main speakers and centre channel speaker right at ear level.

Having the bottom of the screen at eye level may not be comfortable for those watching from upright seating, but lower screen placement introduces other problems -- notably the vertical angle to the main and centre channel speakers. Unless you go with an acoustically transparent screen (which introduces PQ problems), having the bottom of the screen at eye level, the centre of the screen no more than 15 degrees above eye level, and viewing from recliners is a good compromise between acoustics, PQ and comfort.

Ricketty
post #94 of 1554 Old 01-30-2006, 07:35 PM

Seen this question asked a few times and was going to PM everyone in Canada on this thread who has had it shipped north but realized there are a number of Canucks that have received the screen. Can any of you please advise of shipping costs and duty paid for a screen to Canada (looking at 106" screen)? If you cannot post that info on the forum can you please PM me with the information. I have the option of shipping it to a Detroit address but I still have to bring the item across the border. If costs are not crazy, I may just bite the bullet and have it shipped to me directly.

Thanks,

Lorne Foster
post #95 of 1554 Old 02-02-2006, 06:46 AM

Just ordered a Carada 80" Criterion w/ Brilliant white. I plan on using it with my Sony VPL-HS51. What is the normal time it takes from the time you order your screen to the time you get it? I'll post some pictures when I get it installed. Will also let you know how it performs with the Sony.

TWC Milwaukee - HTPC with Windows Media Center
post #96 of 1554 Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster109 View Post

What is the normal time it takes from the time you order your screen to the time you get it?

I ordered a 118" Criterion in BW on January 27th and it's supposed to be here tomorrow. So I would guess about a week. Carada will send you an email with tracking when your screen is shipped.
post #97 of 1554 Old 02-02-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evvlwisc View Post

I ordered a 118" Criterion in BW on January 27th and it's supposed to be here tomorrow. So I would guess about a week. Carada will send you an email with tracking when your screen is shipped.

Actually I was surprised that David Giles from Carada saw my post on AVS and emailed me personally what was happening with my screen...
All I got to say is that I was VERY impressed by the Customer Relations that Carada has. Never really thought of this screen company till I started reading the threads on this site. Hopefully the rest of my experience is as good as I have had so far!

post #98 of 1554 Old 02-03-2006, 06:37 PM

David Giles is a customer service superhero. I asked him many many questions over the last few months before I made my purchase of a 106 inch Criterion edition with CCW material.

I described my theater to him and he recommended the CCW over the BW, which I was leaning toward. I am so glad I took his advice--it looks terrific.

For those who might be curious, I just purchased the Epson 550 to go with this screen and it is a great match. The walls in my room are plum chutney (dark brownish purple), the carpet is a matching mixture of dark colors and the ceiling is flat black.

Had I gotten the brilliant white material I believe it would have appeared too bright. Any of the higher output modes appear overly bright in my room with the CCW material.

The screen itself is awesome....I am very happy with Carada and would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone.
post #99 of 1554 Old 02-04-2006, 03:59 PM

Just recieved the Z4, and recently ordered a 126" criterion BW carada.
It was pretty much this thread that got me convinced.
Anyways I was hoping for some input on how far back I should place the pj. The seating will be about 16 feet back from the screen, and the room is about 25 feet in length total. I was thinking the best way would be to place it just behind and a couple feet above the seating.
Is that far enough back? Just hoping I didnt go too big. I jumped into the purchase without popping any questions with carada. So any ideas?
post #100 of 1554 Old 02-06-2006, 08:10 AM

Placed an order on Tuesday night, by Thursday my order shipped. So on Saturday I was reading some post on AVS and I thought, huh, why not check my tracking info. To my surprise it was delivered to my front door @ 2 in the afternoon. I couldn't believe it!!! The thing that sucked though, I was planning on a Tuesday delivery, so I just painted my Home Theater room! Doh! So far VERY impressed with the packaging, and I had a chance to put the frame together so far. All I got to say is I am VERY impressed with the build quality! Nice work Carada!!! Hope to finish it tonight. I'll let you guys know when I'm done!!!

post #101 of 1554 Old 02-06-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvfoster View Post

Seen this question asked a few times and was going to PM everyone in Canada on this thread who has had it shipped north but realized there are a number of Canucks that have received the screen. Can any of you please advise of shipping costs and duty paid for a screen to Canada (looking at 106" screen)? If you cannot post that info on the forum can you please PM me with the information. I have the option of shipping it to a Detroit address but I still have to bring the item across the border. If costs are not crazy, I may just bite the bullet and have it shipped to me directly.

Thanks,

Lorne Foster

PM Sent
post #102 of 1554 Old 02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Mixon View Post

Just recieved the Z4, and recently ordered a 126" criterion BW carada.
It was pretty much this thread that got me convinced.
Anyways I was hoping for some input on how far back I should place the pj. The seating will be about 16 feet back from the screen, and the room is about 25 feet in length total. I was thinking the best way would be to place it just behind and a couple feet above the seating.
Is that far enough back? Just hoping I didnt go too big. I jumped into the purchase without popping any questions with carada. So any ideas?

B Mixon,
Your plan should be fine.

The calculator on projectorcentral says the Z4 can project a 126" diagonal image from 12.7' to 25.4' (throw range). So 16' will be fine.

With a 126" screen, you are stretching the capabilities of the Z4 a bit, so the BW was a good choice.

I have a Z2 and a 106" Carada BW, it's a great combination. My Z2 is mounted almost directly above my head. This works well, as the machine is very quiet, and it's out of the way. No one can bump into it, as it's over the seating (I'm 6'5 and have a low ceiling). If you find you don't like your PJ location, just move your Sanyo elsewhere, it's an amazingly flexible PJ.

The Carada screens are a breeze to assemble and install. They look great, and work well. The Z4 is easy as pie to setup and install also. They're both great choices.

Enjoy!
post #103 of 1554 Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 AM

Apreciate the feedback.
I was a little concerned that I may of went beyond the Z4's strength in going for the 126", but it sounds like some other people are having no problems with even larger screens. Just lookin forward to getting everyrthing up and going to see for myself.
post #104 of 1554 Old 02-10-2006, 09:45 AM

How do you pick the Aspect ratio?

I have a Panny AE900 celing mounted at 16' from the wall. My seat is 18' away. What is the aspect ratio should I pick? Also, what is the size and screen material? Thanks.
post #105 of 1554 Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Aspect ratio really has nothing to do with seating distance. Ask yourself what you watch the most:
  • Do you watch mostly 4:3 video? Get a 1.33 screen.
  • Watch a lot of HDTV? 1.78 is for you.
  • Mostly a DVD watcher? You may want to get a 1.85 screen.
  • Are you planning to go with a "constant height" setup? 2.35 is what you're looking for.
Screen size: A rough rule of thumb is that you sit at a distance which is 1.5x the width of the screen. So for example, if your seating area is 18 feet from the wall, you could use 18 divided by 1.5 = 12 feet wide. Really though, a lot of people sit further/closer. Me, I'm a close-sitter; I'll only be 12.5 feet away from my 10-foot-wide screen.

Also keep in mind that the gain of screen you're planning to use will affect the screen size. Generally speaking, the higher the gain, the brighter it will be and the larger the screen size you can get. BUT--higher gain screens often have a narrower "cone" of usable viewing area because the higher gain screens relect light in a tighter cone at the expense of people sitting to the far left and right. I'd suggest using the projection calculator at projectorcentral.com as a starting point... it will let you plug in variables such as screen gain, aspect ratio and projector mounting distance, and will tell you what screen sizes work.
post #106 of 1554 Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New Carada website is up:
http://www.carada.com/default.aspx
post #107 of 1554 Old 02-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gammans View Post

Aspect ratio really has nothing to do with seating distance. Ask yourself what you watch the most:
  • Do you watch mostly 4:3 video? Get a 1.33 screen.
  • Watch a lot of HDTV? 1.78 is for you.
  • Mostly a DVD watcher? You may want to get a 1.85 screen.
  • Are you planning to go with a "constant height" setup? 2.35 is what you're looking for.
Screen size: A rough rule of thumb is that you sit at a distance which is 1.5x the width of the screen. So for example, if your seating area is 18 feet from the wall, you could use 18 divided by 1.5 = 12 feet wide. Really though, a lot of people sit further/closer. Me, I'm a close-sitter; I'll only be 12.5 feet away from my 10-foot-wide screen.

Also keep in mind that the gain of screen you're planning to use will affect the screen size. Generally speaking, the higher the gain, the brighter it will be and the larger the screen size you can get. BUT--higher gain screens often have a narrower "cone" of usable viewing area because the higher gain screens relect light in a tighter cone at the expense of people sitting to the far left and right. I'd suggest using the projection calculator at projectorcentral.com as a starting point... it will let you plug in variables such as screen gain, aspect ratio and projector mounting distance, and will tell you what screen sizes work.

I've been confused on what screen to oder because I watch a lot of DVD's and HDTV. On my 51" rear projection TV (16:9) both HDTV and DVD's with aspects from 1.66:1 (disney movies) to 1.85:1 all seen to fill the screen completely. Is this not the case with a 118" projected image? And if so and I pick a 16:9 screen will the black bars be noticable, or are they pretty small?
post #108 of 1554 Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderka View Post

I've been confused on what screen to oder because I watch a lot of DVD's and HDTV. On my 51" rear projection TV (16:9) both HDTV and DVD's with aspects from 1.66:1 (disney movies) to 1.85:1 all seen to fill the screen completely. Is this not the case with a 118" projected image? And if so and I pick a 16:9 screen will the black bars be noticable, or are they pretty small?

Here is the email that I got from Carada: "We generally recommend a 1.78:1 aspect ratio screen because it will match the native aspect ratio of your projector the AE900U. Yes, a lot of movies are made in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio, but because of a function built into the projector called "overscan", 1.85:1 movies will actually fit a 1.78:1 screen better than a 1.85:1 screen. Overscan is a feature common to many display devices including projectors and regular TV sets. It "chops off" 3%-5% of the image on all four sides. The purpose of this is to discard any bad signal on the very edges of the video material. Anyway, by chopping off this small bit of image, it effectively removes the small black bars that you would EXPECT to see when showing a 1.85:1 film on a 1.78:1 screen. So as I mentioned, the 1.85:1 movie will actually fit the 1.78:1 screen better than a 1.85:1 screen."
post #109 of 1554 Old 02-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

vtgt, how did you know that I have an ae900 since I didn't even mention it in my post! You must be a pyschic, and thanks for the info, that's just what I needed to know.
post #110 of 1554 Old 02-17-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderka View Post

vtgt, how did you know that I have an ae900 since I didn't even mention it in my post! You must be a pyschic, and thanks for the info, that's just what I needed to know.

I just cut and pasted the email from Rex (Carada guy). I have 900; hence, he mentioned it in his email.
post #111 of 1554 Old 02-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

You can however turn off overscan on the AE900 if you want to see the whole picture. I imagine this also improves the quality if you're watching a 720p signal since you'd be more likely to get 1:1 pixel mapping.

-
Steve
post #112 of 1554 Old 02-22-2006, 05:47 AM

Well, I have finally finished my projector room...
And front and center is a Sony VPL-HS51 and a 80" Brilliant White Criterion Screen. All I have to say is, the picture quality is simply amazing! One thing that I love about this screen is the fact that you don't actually "see" the screen when there is a bright scene. The build quality is just awesome, customer service is simple the best I have ever had, and the price... Well you just can't beat the quality and the performance for that price range. I've already had a friend say he is going to pick one up now, and when my brother finishes his HT room, guess what I am going to recommend to him... A Carada Screen!!!

Watched some High-Def "24, Olympics and CSI-Miami" Monday night... WOW, the picture just popped off the screen and looked 3D. What a great investment!

Keep up the good work Carada!!!

I will post some pics after i got my posters and plaques up. Stay tuned!

post #113 of 1554 Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 AM

Hello and thank you. I have been reading the forum for quite some time and finally have made my decisions on what to do. I purchased a Carada Criterion 100" CCW screen just the other day. I am looking forward to having it this weekend (thanks to Eric). My projector which I just received is the Sanyo PLV-Z4. My home theater is a converted car port. I am still in paint stage of the room with black ceiling, burgandy walls, soft plush carpet and four reddish brown leather recliners. My audio system is 6.1 all with JVC amp and JBL speakers. These are up and running with my present Hytachi Ultrasound 57" projection TV.

You all have given me so much advice on the perfect solution to this room that I just do not know how to thank you. But I do want to do that and so I say, "Thank you one and all."

Troy

Virginia Beach VA a great place to live.
post #114 of 1554 Old 02-22-2006, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
how is the bw material in ambient light? on my small sample it appear very washed out. but things may look different with a whole screen. also is anybody using a nd filter to increase blacks with the thought as bulb ages to remove and keep a more uniform light output over the life of the bulb
post #115 of 1554 Old 02-23-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsilv View Post

how is the bw material in ambient light? on my small sample it appear very washed out. but things may look different with a whole screen. also is anybody using a nd filter to increase blacks with the thought as bulb ages to remove and keep a more uniform light output over the life of the bulb

BW in a light controlled room is simply amazing... However during the day I do have a little bit of light coming in through my blinds and it does wash it out a bit. But if it is a bright picture, you really don't notice it. Any front projector should be in a light controlled room. I chose the BW because it has a thicker screen and as your bulb gets dimmer over age, you will still have a bright picture. I was kind of leery of the BW myself, but after talking with a good friend he recommended the BW. I was originally going to get the HCG but I am VERY glad I went with the BW. In the end it is what YOU are happy with...

Hope this has helped you. Remember they do have a 30 day guarantee. They might let you try the BW and if your not happy get the CCW or HCG.

post #116 of 1554 Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Troy T - Nice to see another Virginia Beach person on the Forums, I think you are the first I have seen. Hope you enjoy your new screen, I am leaning toward a 118 BW Carada screen as well. You just can't beat the price fro the quality and customer service that they have.

Jon
post #117 of 1554 Old 02-23-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've read in some reviews that the High Contrast Gray Carada screen was just about as good as the Stewart Firehawk in dealing with ambient light. However the HCG has a gain of 0.8, and the Stewart 1.3. If one had a very bright pj, e.g., like the Canon SX50 or 60 (2500 Lumens), then I presume that this would overcome the lower gain of the HCG, and the darker character of any gray screen in general. Is this a reasonably correct understanding of the situation?
post #118 of 1554 Old 02-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanefsky View Post

You can however turn off overscan on the AE900 if you want to see the whole picture. I imagine this also improves the quality if you're watching a 720p signal since you'd be more likely to get 1:1 pixel mapping.

-
Steve

How can I do it? Thanks.
post #119 of 1554 Old 02-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

I was wondering what the general processing/shipping time is on Carada screens. I ordered mine about 4 days ago and so far when I check the status of the order, it just says, "order completed".

To turn off the overscan you need to push the menu button, then select "position" from the main menu and then select overscan on/off, but it will only work for HD signals (component or HDMI).
post #120 of 1554 Old 02-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgt View Post

How can I do it? Thanks.

Just hit menu and scroll to the position menu. You should see the overscan option in the sub-menu.

--
Steve
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page