The official Carada screen thread. - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1505 Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you guys like your ccw? Im thinking of pairing one with a Epson 8700. How does the screen handle small amounts of ambient light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1505 Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Same here,
Mine is only 13 months or so old yet is still flawless.

As you mentioned Geof, if you remotely had an issue I'm positive that Carada would make it right instantly.

Mine came packaged extremely well without any creases etc.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #1173 of 1505 Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks KJ. I'm still planning on a Carada CCW and don't expect any problems but I'm confident Carada will make it right if I do have issues.

Geof
post #1174 of 1505 Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM

Hey everyone,

after reading up reviews and opinions on various screen manufacturers, I was really intrigued by Carada screens. After doing a bit of searching I found someone locally who is selling a Criterion CCW for about half as much as new. It's 126" and I will be using it with my panasonic ae4000u.

My question is will the CCW be okay for the panny? or should I go for the brilliant white and buy one new? And what are your thoughts as far as buying a used screen goes? The screen is going for a really good price and the owner has had it since '07 and has taken good care of it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

My HT Build:The Cool HT Build
post #1175 of 1505 Old 11-02-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big Or GoHome View Post

My question is will the CCW be okay for the panny? or should I go for the brilliant white and buy one new? And what are your thoughts as far as buying a used screen goes? The screen is going for a really good price and the owner has had it since '07 and has taken good care of it.

At half price, and I presume we are taking < $500 here, I would say go for the used CCW. I believe the difference is only .1 or .2 in gain, and from others experience with both the CCW and BW - they are both great and at that cost you really should be very happy with the CCW and your Panny.

Do you have good/great control of lighting in your room?

Cheers

Love DIY
post #1176 of 1505 Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Well I am in the process of building my basement and that is where the home theater will be built. It won't be built in a dedicated room, but I will definitely have good lighting control. There are two 2x4 foot windows nearby, and two more on the opposite side of the basement, so light from outside won't affect the quality too much.

And I think I will go for the used CCW, I'll let you know how it turns out!

My HT Build:The Cool HT Build
post #1177 of 1505 Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Question for owners and testers of the ccw. Do you feel it is one of the highest quality 1.0 gain screens out there? I am trying to find the best 1.0 gain screen out there and from what i have researced, its between the jkp, studiotek 100, and the carada ccw. Anyone have any thoughts on these 3? Interested in some opinions on it.
post #1178 of 1505 Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Forum Notification System

Liked: 21
As a reminder this is the official "Carada" screen thread. A few posts have been cleaned up to keep thread on topic. Please post other brands to their dedicated threads all ready in progress. As always, we appreciate your understanding & support.

Thank you!
post #1179 of 1505 Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantsflood View Post

Question for owners and testers of the ccw. Do you feel it is one of the highest quality 1.0 gain screens out there? I am trying to find the best 1.0 gain screen out there and from what i have researced, its between the jkp, studiotek 100, and the carada ccw. Anyone have any thoughts on these 3? Interested in some opinions on it.

Look for umr's screen test report (the link is in his signature). Last I looked he stated the Carada CCW was the closest alternative to the Studiotek 100. I even think he owns one IIRC.

----

I ordered a Criterion frame with a CCW screen and it arrived about a week after I placed the order. Everything seems to have survived shipping but I have not yet put it up. That should happen this week but I don't expect any surprises. Regardless of when it's installed, I'm waiting for my preordered RS50 before I can marvel at the glorious imagery.

Geof
post #1180 of 1505 Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to follow up......I have installed the screen. I think Carada makes a nice product and generally it's packed well although mine did arrive with some minor damage to the Black hole material on one of the side pieces. IMO they could better protect the frame for shipment.

My main concern, and one which I asked about before purchasing, is wrinkles. Mine has many wrinkles in multiple areas. The whole left side has a wrinkle that looks like it was caused by bubble warp (which was wrapped around the outer layer). The lower right has wrinkles that look like stretch marks. I will give it a day to stretch out and then try Carada's suggestions to remove the wrinkles. If this is not successful it will be going back.

Geof
post #1181 of 1505 Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Just to follow up......I have installed the screen. I think Carada makes a nice product and generally it's packed well although mine did arrive with some minor damage to the Black hole material on one of the side pieces. IMO they could better protect the frame for shipment.

Wow,
Sorry to hear that Geof.

I wonder if they have gotten a bit too busy and complacent..

I'll admit, mine was packed so well it truly amazed me... I'm a bit anal and tend to internally (and many times externally) nit-pick those types of things...

If it doesn't get returned I'm sure you will send them an appropriate critique.

Love DIY
post #1182 of 1505 Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
My main concern, and one which I asked about before purchasing, is wrinkles. Mine has many wrinkles in multiple areas. The whole left side has a wrinkle that looks like it was caused by bubble warp (which was wrapped around the outer layer). The lower right has wrinkles that look like stretch marks. I will give it a day to stretch out and then try Carada's suggestions to remove the wrinkles. If this is not successful it will be going back.
Mine had a few wrinkles too upon installation. Some disappeared after a few days, leaving just 1-2 more which got me concerned. Carada told me to be patient and indeed they did disappear after perhaps a week. So my screen now is perfectly smooth and wrinkle free.

I think you can expedite the wrinkle disappearance by using a hair dryer carefully.
post #1183 of 1505 Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Carada has offered to send me a replacement side because of the damage. I can't ask for anymore than that.

As to the wrinkles, Carada is confident they will subside with time. I have seen some improvement on the bubble wrap like wrinkles running from top to bottom on the left side of the screen. It looks like these may gradually fade. The "stretch mark" wrinkles on the lower right portion of the screen have not changed. Nor has the one wrinkle near the center of the screen on the far right hand side. I'm not optimistic these will come out without further help (hair dryer) but I will wait to see. Carada was extraordinarily helpful with this issue as well and has offered to have David Giles drop by and replace the screen since he will be in the area on other business. I certainly can't ask for anything more than that.

So with both issues Carada has stepped up to the plate and hit homers. It's obvious they want to "make it right" (step aside Mike Holmes) and make their customers happy. Nobody can ask for anymore than that.....

Geof
post #1184 of 1505 Old 11-21-2010, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Hello Geof

Glad to see Carada took care of your problem. Mine, a 114" on a Criterion frame was in mint condition and that was ship to Northern Canada in the mid of winter.

Lots of company do sell good products nowaday. But the few that stant out is always about their cutomer service.

Carada is one of them on my short list.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #1185 of 1505 Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

After installing the screen I waited three days and then applied a little heat to several areas. There was a "bubble wrap" impression running from top to bottom on the left side of the screen. Some were pretty deep. Most of it had pretty much faded but heat helped take care of the remaining impressions. On the other side of the screen there was about a 1 sq-ft area that had what appeared to be stretch marks. There was also a very deep "ripple" near the middle of the screen on the right edge. Neither of those problems were showing much progress by Sunday hence I decided to try heat. Much to my relief, it worked. At this point it's looking pretty flat. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my new RS-50 so it'll be awhile before I can actually use the screen.

So, I guess the ole "patience is a virtue" applies here......

Carada's (and Oppo's) customers service is second to none....

Geof
post #1186 of 1505 Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I have a JVC RS40 on pre-order and will use a DIY screen while I setup and fine-tune my theatre room, but, I was planning to try a Carada 100" diagonal Precision screen. I was thinking of the Brilliant White material, but, I like low black levels, so I may go with the CCW instead. The Crtierion screen is nice but height restrictions limit my ability to use a screen with a thicker frame.

Is there anybody else with a new RS40,50 or 60 on order who will use their projector with a Carada Brilliant White screen? Is this a good choice? My throw distance will be 12.5 feet. Is BW a good material to use with an RS40 projector? Is CCW a better choice if I want the lowest black levels? I'm not too into 3D...but I'm sure I'll eventually use the feature and don't want a screen that is bad for this feature.
post #1187 of 1505 Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I have a JVC RS40 on pre-order and will use a DIY screen while I setup and fine-tune my theatre room, but, I was planning to try a Carada 100" diagonal Precision screen. I was thinking of the Brilliant White material, but, I like low black levels, so I may go with the CCW instead. The Crtierion screen is nice but height restrictions limit my ability to use a screen with a thicker frame.

Is there anybody else with a new RS40,50 or 60 on order who will use their projector with a Carada Brilliant White screen? Is this a good choice? My throw distance will be 12.5 feet. Is BW a good material to use with an RS40 projector? Is CCW a better choice if I want the lowest black levels? I'm not too into 3D...but I'm sure I'll eventually use the feature and don't want a screen that is bad for this feature.

I thought I read where the 3D projectors liked the high gain (BW) screens. Basically, even with the JVCs the 3D content was dark - or tended to suck the brightness down etc.

Love DIY
post #1188 of 1505 Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

I thought I read where the 3D projectors liked the high gain (BW) screens. Basically, even with the JVCs the 3D content was dark - or tended to suck the brightness down etc.

That seems to make sense. I think there is some sort of issue regarding the matte finish screens being better. Something about polarization etc. Again, 3D performance isn't really the biggest concern for me, but there's no use spoiling it by overlooking the 3D needs.
post #1189 of 1505 Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I also have a new RS40 on order with Jason at AVS. Since this is my first FPJ I am going to wait and play around with various positions in my living room by projecting on the wall before I decide on a screen. Since my living room is not a dedicated "bat cave" ambient light could be a problem. I have a 60" plasma at one end of the room for most of my sports daytime viewing and the JVC will project at the opposite wall for night time movies. I hope the BW will be OK with with these light walls I have since like you I hope to use the screen for 3D and I imagine the extra gain over the CCW will come in handy. I don't remember any comparisons in this thread about the black levels of the two screens, but I just may have forgotten.
post #1190 of 1505 Old 11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big Or GoHome View Post

Hey everyone,

after reading up reviews and opinions on various screen manufacturers, I was really intrigued by Carada screens. After doing a bit of searching I found someone locally who is selling a Criterion CCW for about half as much as new. It's 126" and I will be using it with my panasonic ae4000u.

I have owned both the CCW and BW and there simply is VERY little real world difference between the two. As has been mentioned, the real world gain dif between the 2 is .1 -.2 at best. I say buy it

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1191 of 1505 Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM

I was quoted 3-4 days to make my screen, plus 3 days shipping.

Ordered last Thursday afternoon, screen shipped Friday, arrived today!

(134.1" diagonal, 2:1 aspect ratio (ie 10'x5' viewable), precision series, CCW)

Now my only problem is I am WAY too busy to set it up right now, so I have to just look at the box for a few days....
post #1192 of 1505 Old 12-16-2010, 08:05 PM

I hear ya on the fast shipping. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. I ordered it Monday and it shipped yesterday. I ordered a CCW in 110". It will be a movie weekend.
post #1193 of 1505 Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 AM

I am looking at ordering a JVC 250 and am trying to figure out the optimal screen. I am in a basement with total light control. Nobody has talked about the High Contrast Grey screen for their JVC. Is this just because the JVC has good black level already or that they don't want to lose any brightness?
Andreas
post #1194 of 1505 Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas K View Post

I am looking at ordering a JVC 250 and am trying to figure out the optimal screen. I am in a basement with total light control. Nobody has talked about the High Contrast Grey screen for their JVC. Is this just because the JVC has good black level already or that they don't want to lose any brightness?
Andreas

Both,
Blacks are great on JVC PJ's and the gray could definitely decrease your brightness. Especially considering the HD250's 25K contrast ratio.

I too have yet to hear someone comment on "gray" screen matched to a JVC. I'm sure they are out there though - however with the upper end RS25/35 + with very high contrast ratio's etc (twice and three times that of the HD250...).

With the HD250 I would think the BW would be the way to go. That would give you the best "pop" out of your HD250/25,000-1 contrast ratio

Love DIY
post #1195 of 1505 Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Toe, do you still own a carada screen or have you moved on to something else? Since you have had the ccw and the bw maybe you can help me out. Im trying to decide between the 2. It will be epson 9700, 118 diag, dark gray ceiling, light tan walls and carpet, no windows, open basement, all lights off for movies, some lights on in back of basement for football parties. That about sums it up lol. Anyone else with this similar setup feel free to chime in. Thanks guys
post #1196 of 1505 Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantsflood View Post

Toe, do you still own a carada screen or have you moved on to something else? Since you have had the ccw and the bw maybe you can help me out. Im trying to decide between the 2. It will be epson 9700, 118 diag, dark gray ceiling, light tan walls and carpet, no windows, open basement, all lights off for movies, some lights on in back of basement for football parties. That about sums it up lol. Anyone else with this similar setup feel free to chime in. Thanks guys

Got alot of pics of the Epson 9700 in screen shots over at the 9700 ub thread
3000 + section...but there not on this type of screen....
post #1197 of 1505 Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I'm curious about the talk of polarization in screens in terms of the 3D of the JVC RS40 etc. projectors.
post #1198 of 1505 Old 12-25-2010, 01:48 PM

hello carada user. i need some suggestion, which carada screen surface is the smoother one? because i don't like screen texture.. please help....
post #1199 of 1505 Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlun View Post

hello carada user. i need some suggestion, which carada screen surface is the smoother one? because i don't like screen texture.. please help....

I can't speak for the gray, but the BW sample I had was smoother than the CCW material I have. The BW had virtually no texture.
post #1200 of 1505 Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Just put my Carada 118" Criterion BW up on the wall and I love it. Assembly was a breeze and had it up in less than an hour from the time I opened the box. Now I just wish my projector would arrive.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page