The official Carada screen thread. - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1411 of 1430 Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Just a reminder, I'm selling a 118" 16x9 screen BW Criterion Carada screen for a very good price. PM me if interested.
dlbeck is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 1430 Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Member
 
Petro49er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question. I have a new Mitsubishi HC5 that's lens resides 164" from the screen wall. I have a couple of ceiling beams that my screen will need to fit between which stand 107.5" apart. That leaves me with either a 114" Criterion or a 118" Precision. Seating will be from about 12.5' away. My screen wall and ceiling are a very dark matte color also if that matters. Do you guys prefer the extra size of the Precision or the larger frame of the Criterion.

Thanks.
Petro49er is offline  
post #1413 of 1430 Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro49er View Post

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question. I have a new Mitsubishi HC5 that's lens resides 164" from the screen wall. I have a couple of ceiling beams that my screen will need to fit between which stand 107.5" apart. That leaves me with either a 114" Criterion or a 118" Precision. Seating will be from about 12.5' away. My screen wall and ceiling are a very dark matte color also if that matters. Do you guys prefer the extra size of the Precision or the larger frame of the Criterion.

Thanks.

 

I really like the look of my Criterion frame/screen.  It looks very professional IMO. Mine is 118" in the brilliant white. 4" won't make a really big difference in viewing, so I would go with what looks better for a small upgrade in price, but that's just me. You will be happy either way as the screen and customer service are great. 


Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #1414 of 1430 Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Member
 
Petro49er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

I really like the look of my Criterion frame/screen.  It looks very professional IMO. Mine is 118" in the brilliant white. 4" won't make a really big difference in viewing, so I would go with what looks better for a small upgrade in price, but that's just me. You will be happy either way as the screen and customer service are great. 

That's what I was originally leaning toward. Then I got it in my head that I wanted to maximize my screen area. At the end of the day, 4 inches isn't much and I do like the look of the criterion. Not sure why I'm struggling with this decision so much. Everything else was easy in comparison hah. Thanks for the response.
Petro49er is offline  
post #1415 of 1430 Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro49er View Post


That's what I was originally leaning toward. Then I got it in my head that I wanted to maximize my screen area. At the end of the day, 4 inches isn't much and I do like the look of the criterion. Not sure why I'm struggling with this decision so much. Everything else was easy in comparison hah. Thanks for the response.

 

I understand where you are coming from in wanting to maximize screen size. 118' was the biggest I could go due to wall constraints. The next size up was 126" and that is the one I really wanted but just could not do it. The Criterion looks very nice. I am sure the Precision does as well but the Criterion is a step up in appearance.  


Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #1416 of 1430 Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Petro49er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

I understand where you are coming from in wanting to maximize screen size. 118' was the biggest I could go due to wall constraints. The next size up was 126" and that is the one I really wanted but just could not do it. The Criterion looks very nice. I am sure the Precision does as well but the Criterion is a step up in appearance.  

I went ahead and ordered the 114 Criterion in BW this morning. Looking forward to getting it!

Thanks for your input.
Petro49er is offline  
post #1417 of 1430 Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro49er View Post


I went ahead and ordered the 114 Criterion in BW this morning. Looking forward to getting it!

Thanks for your input.

 

Nice!  Let us know what you think after a few Blu Rays.......


Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #1418 of 1430 Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
vikram2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Greetings,

 

I have just ordered JVC DLA X500R for my theatre room. It is 25'X13' with dark walls & fully light controlled. The projector mount is 14.5' from the wall. I'm planning to order Carada Brilliant White 114". Is it the right size?

 

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

 

Thanks.

vikram2003 is offline  
post #1419 of 1430 Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram2003 View Post

Greetings,



 



I have just ordered JVC DLA X500R for my theatre room. It is 25'X13' with dark walls & fully light controlled. The projector mount is 14.5' from the wall. I'm planning to order Carada Brilliant White 114". Is it the right size?



 



Your feedback will be highly appreciated.



 



Thanks.



I sit about 11 feet from my 118" screen which is the biggest I could handle visually without having to move my head left/right up/down to watch the movie. Size depends on your comfort level. I used painting tape to mark off the screen size and sat in my chair to see how my eyes/head would be able to handle the 118" size. I tend to sit about 3/4 back in a movie theater so I knew I was not going to go with a huge, huge screen at 11 feet from my chair.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #1420 of 1430 Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
hmunster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just posted, if it is accepted, on the main screen forum. I basically just wanted to let people know that Dave and Darryl are really interested in customer support.. I had a problem with a screen, and after trying a couple of things that Dave recommended that didn't work, they got a replacement out to me. It was a little more involved than this, but my point is just to let people know that these guys really are there for the customer, and they produce a top-notch product at a fair price.
Thanks again
hmunster2 is offline  
post #1421 of 1430 Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I just posted, if it is accepted, on the main screen forum. I basically just wanted to let people know that Dave and Darryl are really interested in customer support.. I had a problem with a screen, and after trying a couple of things that Dave recommended that didn't work, they got a replacement out to me. It was a little more involved than this, but my point is just to let people know that these guys really are there for the customer, and they produce a top-notch product at a fair price.
Thanks again

 

Agree. The customer support is top notch with Carada. 


Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #1422 of 1430 Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
danielrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Thanks for the help. I decided to go with the CCW, ordering tomorrow.

I am planning to get the same exact projector (Epson 6030UB), 110" 16:9 screen, in a light controlled room with dark walls and carpet (all paint has an LRV < 8), dark chocolate carpet...

How did your choice work out? Are you still happy with CCW instead of BW?

I want to run in Eco mode if I can. At my elevation in Utah, bulbs tend to get a little hotter and I don't like high elevation fan. I can keep it off if I run in eco mode.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
danielrg is offline  
post #1423 of 1430 Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
danielrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigging View Post

Thanks!! It's getting delivered tomorrow, I can't wait to get it setup and try out some movies. It's going to be a long day at work tomorrow, I get off work four days for thanksgiving so ill be having some fun.

So, how was your experience? No news is good news? Often people will post about how they are getting their equipment - then we never hear from them again. I like to think this is a good thing biggrin.gif

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
danielrg is offline  
post #1424 of 1430 Old 05-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Member
 
udtsealeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a great room HT build (64'x15'x9') with an island riser (12'x9'x12") with 3 seating positions. The HT section is 25' with the riser starting at 11' if the seating position are correct? 1st at 11' (couch floor), 2nd at 16' (prime 3 chair on riser) and counter seats at 20' (riser). Looking at the Criterion Series 16:9 in BW (ambient light but controlled), but do not know the size of screen (126"-134"-142"). TBD on projector DLP > BenQ 7500 or LCoS > Sony VPL-HW55ES, I watch 65-75% HDTV sports. I would like some information on screen size and my seating positions??

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
udtsealeod is offline  
post #1425 of 1430 Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
danielrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by udtsealeod View Post

Have a great room HT build (64'x15'x9') with an island riser (12'x9'x12") with 3 seating positions. The HT section is 25' with the riser starting at 11' if the seating position are correct? 1st at 11' (couch floor), 2nd at 16' (prime 3 chair on riser) and counter seats at 20' (riser). Looking at the Criterion Series 16:9 in BW (ambient light but controlled), but do not know the size of screen (126"-134"-142"). TBD on projector DLP > BenQ 7500 or LCoS > Sony VPL-HW55ES, I watch 65-75% HDTV sports. I would like some information on screen size and my seating positions??

I just read an article on this at projector central. The comments are also very helpful:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/build_home_theater_screen_size.htm

Also on aspect ratio, again the comments help:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/build_home_theater_screen_aspect_ratio.htm

It seems a number of folks seem to think the best seats are 1.4x to 1.7x the screen width (for a 16:9) - or 3x the screen height. So for you making the middle seats the ideal, picking 1.5x - makes the screen at 142" diagonal about 10.3' wide. This is then 1.07x for front seats and 1.94x for the rear seats. Seems like a nice spread.

I'm going to have mine at about 1.2x and 2.0x.

Next to think about is brightness. I don't know the brightness levels of those projectors except maybe Sony but for sure so check my #s. I think the Sony will get you about 900 - 1000 lumens calibrated, try the projector calcs at projectorcentral.com to see what you get for foot-lamberts. Their reviews often give lumens. For sports no ambient light you probably want at least 16-18fL. If you get 1000 lumens that's a little over 18 fL with a 1.1 gain screen (which most people think is about right for the BW.

Please check my figures! I can't remember if Sony gets that high in best mode, but for sports you may want a more dynamic mode and could achieve 1100 or 1200 lumens. I don't know about the BenQ, I'm not a fan of DLP, I seem to see rainbow on all of them.

Look at the theater calculator here: http://carltonbale.com/home-theater/home-theater-calculator/

You can enter screen sizes, ratios, and projector lumens (not the advertised, get the real calibrated lumens from reviews) and see how many foot lamberts you'll get and it also tells you other good stuff.

Sweet room!

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
danielrg is offline  
post #1426 of 1430 Old 05-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Member
 
udtsealeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you danielrg for a very informative feedback! The seating arrangement can move (1'-2)' with the riser depending on screen and projector. The reason for the DLP choices is my viewing profile of HDTV sports, a faster fresher speed than LSoC. If a Sony or JVC projector is close to or it's not an issue, I would prefer the LSoC. I'm not sold on a brand/model yet!

The screen is my bigger issue, what brand-what size?? The HT is in my great room in the basement and ambient light can be controlled. BUT, always a but! For movies it will be almost a black pit. But for sports you watch with controlled ambient light, you don't sit in the dark. Behind the HT is a rec area; pool table, air hockey, shuffle board, etc. So the screen becomes the question, not the projector. I can place the projector at 15-18' and maximize the lumen, can't I?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
udtsealeod is offline  
post #1427 of 1430 Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
danielrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by udtsealeod View Post

Thank you danielrg for a very informative feedback! The seating arrangement can move (1'-2)' with the riser depending on screen and projector. The reason for the DLP choices is my viewing profile of HDTV sports, a faster fresher speed than LSoC. If a Sony or JVC projector is close to or it's not an issue, I would prefer the LSoC. I'm not sold on a brand/model yet!

The screen is my bigger issue, what brand-what size?? The HT is in my great room in the basement and ambient light can be controlled. BUT, always a but! For movies it will be almost a black pit. But for sports you watch with controlled ambient light, you don't sit in the dark. Behind the HT is a rec area; pool table, air hockey, shuffle board, etc. So the screen becomes the question, not the projector. I can place the projector at 15-18' and maximize the lumen, can't I?

From all the stuff I've been reading, 15-18' should be fine. The closer you put it the brighter it will be when it is at the wide end of the zoom range, up to 40% dimmer is possible when at the farthest throw zoom, for some models with long throw. You'll have to calculate the zoom range for your projectors of choice. For a large screen like a 135, you might be at the wide end of zoom at 15-18', which would be nice. Another side benefit of doing the widest zoom is that the closer to the screen, the less likely heads can get in the way of the projection wink.gif But be wary of wide zoom too. If you put it right at the edge, you can't zoom the picture any bigger, for example if you want to zoom it some for different aspect ratios.

I have a friend with a DLP - he loves it, and loves the brightness - you just have to get the projector type that works for you and your situation.

Screen material is important too. If you'll have ambient light then you might want higher gain ambient light rejecting screen, or a gray - I'm not actually too smart on which is better as my room is going to be dark viewing only so I haven't read as much about that. But don't get too high gain if you might have wide viewing angles.

I feel like I'm just making things more confusing... rolleyes.gif

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
danielrg is offline  
post #1428 of 1430 Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 AM
Member
 
udtsealeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I feel like I'm just making things more confusing... rolleyes.gif

No, it's information to look into. My choice of projector and the possibility of a DLP is only based on my viewing profile. Like plasma and LED TV's, thus I have a plasma. Now actually seeing the results of refresher rate is another story! It's hard to determine what screen or projector to buy, you can't take them out on a test drive.

The screen choices would come from previous usage, except I have none. So I ask for recommendation of those that have a HT and have used the different products. A lot of the time the recommendations are one sided, like buying a Ford and only liking Fords. The A/V sub I'm using has recommended DaLite or Draper, because that's his brand of choice.

All my question have gained me knowledge to ask better question of both my A/V sub and here. Slowly I'm learning and the individual elements are coming together. The main question is how to build with the future in mind, changes to your choices are harder once the drywall is up!!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
udtsealeod is offline  
post #1429 of 1430 Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Member
 
sm4llz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got a criterium brilliant white 136'' 2.35:1. It looks amazing paired with my jvc x500r. Great company and great product!
sm4llz is offline  
post #1430 of 1430 Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
I just got a criterium brilliant white 136'' 2.35:1. It looks amazing paired with my jvc x500r. Great company and great product!
Welcome to the club.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off