The official Carada screen thread. - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
They don't have the wall bracket's for the screen. Looks like I need to order some from Carada or go to home depot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
They don't have the wall bracket's for the screen. Looks like I need to order some from Carada or go to home depot.
I forget what they look like, but I am sure you can just use a French cleat. You have to mount the top and bottom. I mounted my acoustical panels with cleats from the Home Depot.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I'm thinking on getting at home depot and putting Furring Strip Board. Then mount the French cleats to the board. What's the total weight of the screen.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the screen set up but not mounted yet. I notice that the back of the screen is white and not black like other screens. Does the light go straight through the screen.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the screen mounted and so far looks good. Got to watch some football and a movie tonight. The picture looks sharper and color's have more pop not bad at all for $200.

Last edited by jsil; 11-17-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which carada would you choose?

I'm looking at the different carada screens and while the pictures on their website are a bit lacking I think understand the general difference in look between the criterion and precision and am curious on some thoughts of my situation. I'm looking at the 110" screen and will be projecting a Sony HW40ES onto it. My front wall is 100" and then on both sides there is a 135 degree angle where the wall continues out. The precision width with frame is exactly 100, same as the wall so would fit perfectly. Unfortunately, looking at both I think I like the look of the criterion better, which is 102.5". So that would work, but I would have to mount the screen 1" off the wall to do so. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Steve
Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveko23 View Post
I'm looking at the different carada screens and while the pictures on their website are a bit lacking I think understand the general difference in look between the criterion and precision and am curious on some thoughts of my situation. I'm looking at the 110" screen and will be projecting a Sony HW40ES onto it. My front wall is 100" and then on both sides there is a 135 degree angle where the wall continues out. The precision width with frame is exactly 100, same as the wall so would fit perfectly. Unfortunately, looking at both I think I like the look of the criterion better, which is 102.5". So that would work, but I would have to mount the screen 1" off the wall to do so. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Steve
I love the look of my Criterion frame as it makes the screen look more professional IMO. I would ask David Giles your question. David and Carada are top of the line when it comes to customer service.

davidg@carada.com

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I chose the Criterion frame and think it looks great. Mind you, the flocking material that Carada uses on its frames is so black that from any distance you can't discern the bevel under normal conditions. But I like the fact that side-lighting casts no shadow on the screen as you might see with a rectangular frame. As an artifact in its own right, the Carada screen is an object of beauty, and to my eye the wider Criterion frame is of satisfying proportions.

I can also testify (and please don't ask me how I know this) that the frame is extremely robust.

Lastly, I concur that Carada's customer service is superb.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 AM

Awesome, thanks! I sent David an email. My other option is to go with the 106" criterion which is 99" so would also fit pretty perfectly, but I'd be giving up 4" of screen (which I'm not honesty sure I'd notice, but figure bigger is better).
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Wow, you guys were right about the customer service, David responded to me in under 5 minutes! Very impressive. He said they could make a custom 107" that would cost the same as the 110". So I'd guess that'd be where I'm leaning right now.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Wow, you guys were right about the customer service, David responded to me in under 5 minutes! Very impressive. He said they could make a custom 107" that would cost the same as the 110". So I'd guess that'd be where I'm leaning right now.
Great choice.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Customer service at Carada is outstanding.

Looky here!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
New Owner

Happy Holidays to all ! I just received my new Criterion 96 in screen today which I wont be setting up till the weekend and was wondering if anyone puts Blackout cloth or anything behind the screen ? Im asking because upon reading one review it said the screen only reflects 65% of the light which would incur 35% is going straight through ? ? ? Thought it might be wise to have that reflect back from some white material . Is this really an issue or just forget about it ?
Cant wait to see it in action with my new Epson 5030 ! ! !

Tom O.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post
Happy Holidays to all ! I just received my new Criterion 96 in screen today which I wont be setting up till the weekend and was wondering if anyone puts Blackout cloth or anything behind the screen ? Im asking because upon reading one review it said the screen only reflects 65% of the light which would incur 35% is going straight through ? ? ? Thought it might be wise to have that reflect back from some white material . Is this really an issue or just forget about it ?
Very curious to hear people's thoughts on this as well.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have owned the same 96'' Criterion frame screen w/ the Brilliant White screen material for 5 years now. Originally used it with my Panasonic AE3000, before moving on to the 5030 last month. Up until Spring of 2013 the wall behind the screen was a light beige color and the picture always looked fine to me. The wall is now a dark brown and I couldn't honestly tell you if I notice a difference or not. Which screen material did you get? I believe the Cinema White material is a lot thinner than the Brilliant White. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Today, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
65% reflection doesn't necessarily imply that 35% penetrates; some amount will be absorbed in the material.

Having said that, I don't think you want whatever portion that penetrates the screen surface to scatter off something behind and illuminate the back of the screen with a diffuse glow. If anything, I would put something dark and absorptive behind the screen, not something white.

Before mounting my Carada HCG screen I noted that it does allow a noticeable amount of light to penetrate, so I stretched out and stapled a piece of black cloth on the wall behind it just in case. I can't say that it made any difference because I did not do a before-after comparison. The proprietor of Carada was of the opinion that it should not be necessary "but you could do it if it would make you feel better" (or words to that effect).

I did, and it does.
Old Today, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
New screen

Well I put up my new 96 in. Cinema White screen as previously posted was wondering about light going through screen . I read the other post and luckily for me this screen is covering a window - why lucky ? Because that window and adjoining walls were already covered with a flat black sheet of wood ( : Screen looks nice 650 plus bucks nicer than my old blackout cloth not really but it is smoother . Im glad I did it it would have bugged me never knowing if it made a difference or not .
Did a before and after quick check with spears & muncil and brightness and contrast were almost identical . Watched Pacific Rim and Under the Sea both looked great to me . Ive been through 4 projectors starting out with an old Infocus4805 to my new 5030UB figure this screen will be with me for at least a couple more before I upgrade it . Man this is an Expensive hobby sorta like my JEEP ( Just Empty Every Pocket ) ( :

Tom O.

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u
Gear in this thread - Lae700 by PriceGrabber.com