The official Carada screen thread. - Page 53 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1561 of 1570 Old 05-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Did David explain why he recommends the BW over the CCW?
The extra brightness the BW gives over the CCW. He explained that the bulb won't need to be exchanged as often with the BW and one can run their projector in ECO mode instead of high mode (Epson owners). I am sure the CCW is a great screen as well as people have stated on here.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1570 Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 185
The difference between the BW and CCW brightness is tiny unless they changed the BW material over the last 8 years and it is now brighter. I expected the CCW to be a good bit dimmer based on the sample I attached to my BW but when I swapped out the full screen material the CCW looked just as bright and I have my iris setting on my X500 at the exact same setting as I did with the BW.

As I said in my lengthy review of the CCW weeks ago, I really see no reason to buy the BW over it given they are so close in brightness and the CCW produces a superior black level and just has an extra bit of clarity and depth. The CCW's improved black and clarity and depth easily trumps the miniscule increase in brightness of the BW. The BW is a nice screen but the CCW is IMHO simply better.

ROB
post #1563 of 1570 Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I guess a 2x4 won't work in this case.

I don't know whether the Carada screen is meant to be taken on and off repeatedly. I don't own one myself, but looking at the installation instruction the frame bottom snaps over the bottom bracket; not sure how easy it is to "unsnap" it.
You don't need to use the bottom bracket if the screen hangs plumb. That and if you don't have any issues with the screen being pushed upwards from below.

ROB
post #1564 of 1570 Old 05-04-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
As I said in my lengthy review of the CCW weeks ago, I really see no reason to buy the BW over it given they are so close in brightness and the CCW produces a superior black level and just has an extra bit of clarity and depth. The CCW's improved black and clarity and depth easily trumps the miniscule increase in brightness of the BW. The BW is a nice screen but the CCW is IMHO simply better.
The brightness difference between CCW and BW for my projected image size was enough to go BW.

HT: JVC RS4910, Carada BW 150", Oppo 103D, Onkyo 876, Polk RT
Panasonic 65ST50, 55ST50, 50PZ85U
post #1565 of 1570 Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx View Post
The brightness difference between CCW and BW for my projected image size was enough to go BW.
Did you first have the CCW and then swapped it for the BW?

ROB
post #1566 of 1570 Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 AM

No, just samples taped to a 144" Carl's ProWhite I've had up for a few weeks before deciding on a screen. At that size, the brightness difference was absolutely noticeable and I wanted to go even bigger to 150" diag/130" wide. Color & detail was very good on both Carada samples.

post #1567 of 1570 Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, that's what I noticed too when I first taped up the CCW sample to my BW screen as the brightness seemed decently significant where I'd have actually bought into the stated gains of these screens meaning the BW did look like it was 25-30% brighter.

When I ordered the full CCW screen I was thinking I'd just have to open up my X500 iris a lot more to compensate and was figuring I'd have to swap out the screens again when the bulb started to get up in hours and dim. It was when I swapped out the materials and turned the projector on I noticed that the big brightness difference I saw from the sample was simply not there and they looked almost identical in brightness and my measurements using my i1 display pro backed this up since the difference was less than 1 fL. In Jeff Meirer's screen report he had the gain at 0.97 for the CCW and 1.03 for the BW which based on that percentage difference is around what I measured with the BW being about 6% brighter. I should point out this is for a calibrated image as I had to touch up the greyscale calibration a bit with the CCW compared to the BW and the projector in its calibrated state is able to eek out a bit more light on the CCW compared to on the BW. I believe Jeff also calibrated when he did his tests.

I have no idea why the sample was so different than the full sized screen but it was. Since you use the same projector as I do, the difference in brightness was like going from -11 to -10 with the iris. Well, it'd be more like going from -11 to -9.5 if there was a 9.5 setting.

ROB

Last edited by rlindo; 05-11-2015 at 07:59 AM.
post #1568 of 1570 Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 AM

That's really interesting. I'm probably skirting the max recommended size for our projector. Do you think the same would apply for a screen area that is 100% larger than yours?

I am running it calibrated, on low lamp w/ iris clamped down to -11/auto2. Plenty bright (for now @ ~200hrs), but I'm also running it close to the widest end of the lens (shortest throw).

post #1569 of 1570 Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx View Post
That's really interesting. I'm probably skirting the max recommended size for our projector. Do you think the same would apply for a screen area that is 100% larger than yours?

I am running it calibrated, on low lamp w/ iris clamped down to -11/auto2. Plenty bright (for now @ ~200hrs), but I'm also running it close to the widest end of the lens (shortest throw).

That is a big screen. In your case, you needed all the help you could get gain wise to have a bright picture.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1570 of 1570 Unread Today, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using a 100" Precision CCW screen with a Sony 40ES at close to minimum focusing distance and in Eco mode in a totally light controlled room with dark gray walls and ceiling and the picture looks really great. I was advised by Carada to use the CCW and the advice was good.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page