Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1786 Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

from my limited knowledge of ht, I would agree with you. However, Elite's literature states that the Matte White is for moderately controlled ambient and the high contrast gray is for "controlled" ambient light. My understanding (admittedly I could be wrong) was that the high contrast greys such as the Optoma Greywolf were better for rooms where ambient light was only moderately controlled which is opposite of what Elite states in their literature for their screens. I was also under the impression that high gain screens were better for rooms where ambient light could be an issue.

If anyone could clarify this, it would be greatly appreciated.

i believe high gain white should work well in ambiant conditions only if the ambiant light is coming from the sides and if you are using a retroreflective high gain screen (the light is reflected back in the direction of the source) however you should place the projector as close to your head as possible to maximize the gain effect. i believe the elite screens high gain white only has a gain of 1.5 and i believe it's not really retroreflective so it won't really help in ambiant conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1786 Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone using the High Contrast Gray (light gray)? How does it work with some ambient light, and in dark?
post #273 of 1786 Old 04-17-2007, 05:44 AM

I went from a HD70 + 92" Graywolf II table mounted, to a Epson Cinema 400 + 106" Elite High Contrast Gray screen ceiling mounted. I absolutely LOVE the high contrast gray screen! It really looks wonderful, although calibrating it properly was a bit tricky, since its pretty dark and only 1.0 gain, so you need to use more power then usual to get white levels and such to look good. After calibrating everything looks amazing to me tho. The black look especially great, and there is no "viewing cone" that you get from the Graywolf II, it looks excellent no matter where you sit. For the price i paid on special from Visual Apex, i cannot recommend it ENOUGH.
post #274 of 1786 Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Also saw the V.A. price. You mention it's pretty dark, but the sample I have is light gray screen. Did you receive the matte gray (dark)?
post #275 of 1786 Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Also saw the V.A. price. You mention it's pretty dark, but the sample I have is light gray screen. Did you receive the matte gray (dark)?

Mine is the HCG screen with the 1.0 gain. I picked it up from the warehouse myself.
post #276 of 1786 Old 04-26-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcarr View Post

well i finally recieved my 120" cinetension 16:9 in matte white. this was a replacement for a defective screen i recieved about a month ago. elite was very easy to work with and gave me absolutely no hassels in exchanging the screen for a newer model.

the newer screen is a version 3 screen denoted with a "2" at the end of the model number.

the screen and casing is higher quality compared with the previous one that i had recieved. i mounted it into the ceiling and everything works flawlessly. blacks are black and colors pop with great clarity.

although it took 2 tries and about 6 weeks... i could not be happier.

it's paired with a panny ax100u and an oppo dvd player.

DrCarr,

I am looking at the same screen for my AX100U, but can't seem to get good dimension data.

My question is if you mount the screen using their brackets to the ceiling and lower the screen to the point where you use the least drop, what is the measurement between the ceiling and the very bottom of the screen.

I have 70" in-between my ceiling and a piece of furniture and am trying to determine weather to get a 120" or a 135".

Thanks!
post #277 of 1786 Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM

I am looking for a tensioned, recessed screen around 82" @ 16:9. I was wondering if it is possible to mount the Cinetension 84" screen inside a ceiling cavity and fake a ceiling recessed screen. I guess what would happen is that the bottom bar would remain proud of the ceiling slot.

Can the cinetension screen stop retraction anywhere, even at ~3" of screen drop? Or is it preset to certain height stops? Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks
post #278 of 1786 Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM

I just had my Cinetension 106" HC grey screen mounted today. This afternoon it owrked fine, tonight the screen would not come down with the remote or the box, Anyone else experience this or know how to fix?
I emailed Elite as well...
post #279 of 1786 Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM

you can stop the cinetension screens as high or low as you would like... down to 18" of drop from the bottom of the casing.
i am loving mine!!!
post #280 of 1786 Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM

My viewing position is only 9' from the screen. I will be getting the small 84" screen to use with an old Panny AE700U in a moderately light controled (but not cave like) room. We only watch stuff at night. The viewing angle need not be large due to the room geometry.

The question is, what screen material should I go with: gray, white, or high gain?

I think the image will be pretty bright since it is such a small screen and so close to the projector. That would indicate going for a gray screen to punch up the blacks. However, after reading Tryg's High Power review i am tempted to get the high gain. Then again, maybe I should just split the difference and get the white.

Help!
post #281 of 1786 Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 AM

These are pretty handy:

Screen Materials
Screen Features

The second one lists a CineTension 3 screen.

HTMarket actually suggested that i get the High Gain screen!
post #282 of 1786 Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBee View Post

Mine is the HCG screen with the 1.0 gain. I picked it up from the warehouse myself.

JackBee, there are two types of high contrast grey that Elite uses for their screens. One is the SilverGrey, which is one can get on their Manual (Grey) screens, their SilverMax screens, and their ezCinema Plus screens. The other type is the CineGrey material which can be had on their EZ-Frame, SilverFrame, CineTension, PureVision, and Cinema235 screens. All that can be found on the Screen Materials link form the post above.

That being said, and since other posters said that the sample they have is a lighter grey, I was just wondering what model screen you bought from them? I am in the market for an intro screen an am looking at getting an Elite Screen manual pull down, either a 92" or 100" and am trying to figure out which woul dbe best, the High-contrast grey (SilverGrey in the case of manual pull screens) or a matte white (MaxWhite material) screen, which is actually listed as having a high contrast rating (negligable considering it's 1.1 compared to 1.0).
post #283 of 1786 Old 06-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Please I need some advice. I have a Sony Pearl, and I'll probably buy an ELITE CINE TENSION SERIES 2,120". The question is, wich material between MATE WHITE and HIGH GAIN?, I only see film material at night in a moderately light controlled room.

Thanks in advance
post #284 of 1786 Old 07-03-2007, 06:47 AM

I'm a bit miffed at elite right now. The literature appears to indicate that the 12v trigger is included as part of the basic system, however Elite says that there is a special "adapter" for the trigger function - at the low, low price of $40 (including shipping). Seems a bit steep for a $250 screen, if you ask me (and $15 of that is shipping...somebody needs to tell them they don't have to send it in a 10lb box).

Anyway - does anyone know what the pinout is on the RJ45? My screen location is wired with a bare cat5 on both ends anyway, so if I knew the 12v and ground pinouts I could hook it up...unless there's some current limiting or voltage modifying hardare involved in the adapter.

Edit - got my answer...maybe it will save somebody else $40. The CS rep at elite said that you could use a cat5 cable and just connect the orange and green wires as spec'd, but you can't. The proper pinout for a v1.4 screen is to use pin 7 as +12v and pin 8 as ground. For a standard cat5, that means the brown/white-brown pair is the proper pinout. Note that the ground, in combination with several other pins (no, I didn't write them down) has a voltage from 1.4 to 3.7, and shorting across the pins provided up, down, and trigger-like (up=closed, down=open) functions.

In Elite's defense, the $25 might not be out of bounds for a rarely used item that clearly was hand-crimped with a custom color order, then trimmed, heat-shrinked, and pre-cut for stripping, then boxed and and packed (in a HUGE shipping box). Still, with a simple diagram I could have crimped one up with my own tool for about $0.75 and been done a week ago.
post #285 of 1786 Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Update on the Elite Spectrum:

I just had a chance to test it out with an Epson 400 (720p). There were some waves in the screen when I got it, and some small squeaks the first few roll/unroll cycles. It's probably got 12-14 roll/unrolls and I left the screen hanging open overnight for about 24 hours. The "new" smell is pretty much gone, as are the waves and the squeak. It's about 1/4 the speed of a motor-in-roller (da-lite), but also about 1/4 the sound.

The material definitely has sparkles...bummer. They are noticable in an 18-24" circle on the specular reflection angle from the projector. It is mostly visible on white test screens, and somewhat on bright, single tone areas of the image. I watched Toy Story (for my 4yo), so there are some "digital whites" where I noticed it. It was not noticable for most of the program, but I expect to see it in snow scenes from now onl. The wife didn't notice at all. The 4yo, of course, wouldn't have cared even if she saw it. I did not notice any hotspotting. FWIW, the projector was on an end table at (nearly) eye height, since the mount isn't in place yet.

Overall, I'd say 1.5 thumbs up for the cost, and worth the money if you're on a budget and want the wow of an electric screen. The cheap (though annoying) trigger is a plus, and the very small size of the case offers favorable mounting options.
post #286 of 1786 Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Liked: 12
I see a couple people are running the AX100U, which is the PJ i'm getting for my new house. The room will have some ambient light, but we will have curtains over the windows. The goal is to be able to watch Sunday afternoon NFL games, as well as watch movies at night.

Here's my setup for my basement:

Room size is 37'L x 29' W x 10' H. I will have two small windows 36" x 24" on the same side of the wall as the screen. This would be the East wall. On the south wall, at about 25 foot mark, I will have the escape Window. Approximate size is 48" x 48". This is a required emergency exit.

Room will be painted a dark coffee color walls, and white drywall ceiling.

Now, given all this, I called Elite today, to enquire on a 120" fixed frame screen recommendation. They recommended the SilverFrame High Gain Screen. This has a 1.8 Gain.

Based on ProjectorCentral, I can setup the PJ at 16 feet Throw with 1.52x zoom, and still get a 24fl Brightness. Will this be a sufficient setup for daytime viewing?

By the way, how well does the light harmonizer work?

Thanks for your input
post #287 of 1786 Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylenz View Post

These are pretty handy:

Screen Materials
Screen Features

The second one lists a CineTension 3 screen.

HTMarket actually suggested that i get the High Gain screen!

I like the gain vs. angle charts for the materials. Very nice. The CineGray only gives the rated gain in a very narrow cone at the middle, and drops what I would call pretty substantially as you move to 30 and 45 degrees from center. For my friend, he has a light controlled room but I'd like to assist the perceived blacks as much as possible (the HD1000 has that white segment), but recommending he go CineWhite because he'll have viewers from 45 degrees left to 45 degrees right of center.

Suspect Elite's recommendation of CineGray for side ambient light environments is because it's gain curve is a lot like other high power stuff, much reduced gain at larger angles, such as light from the sides. (I'm assuming gain of light from center going out to the sides would be parallel to gain of light coming in from the sides going out to center; that might not be how it works in reality).
post #288 of 1786 Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 AM

For the one interessed, here's my room setup and pictures with the Elite VMAX100UWH

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=883919

For 300$ CND all included from TigerDirect.ca, it's definitly a deal

And service was great, actually the first screen came in broken (the plastic ring connecting the motor to the screen tube was broken so engine was turning free)... I've called TD and they've issues me a replacement and they even paid my return fees!

And I did adjust the screen drop with the hidden orange hex... took me some time to figure out but is simple. You turn it a little and drop the screen to see where it stop and you repeat that as long as needed.

Finally, picture quality is good enough for me, sure a high gain/tension tab would be great but you can reach 4 digits for that... too much for my budget.

Overall, I'm definitly happy with
post #289 of 1786 Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel2167882 View Post

For the one interessed, here's my room setup and pictures...

Are we doing pics?

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #290 of 1786 Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 AM

^^What Elite screen it is? CineTension I guess... how wide? Which material?

It's an Elite screen thread after all

BTW, really nice room there
post #291 of 1786 Old 08-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator

106" CineTension2... matte white.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #292 of 1786 Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 PM

I'm looking into getting an elite screen. Does anyone know how the Spectrum and VMAX models compare to each other?
post #293 of 1786 Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice setup. Yours is a bit like mine, a smaller "TV" behind the drop down screen. And then you have yet another LCD to the side? Going for the sports bar feel? Will the RPTV be seeing its way out of the house, or do you find times where its still preferred?

How do you like the center speaker mounted up high above the screen like that? I've debated if the sound would be ok with it coming so out of line with eye level. Does it sound like the dialog is coming from above the screen? I'm sure having the fronts up high along with the center helps. Maybe it wouldn't pull off as well since I have front floorstanders.

Oh yeah, on topic, nice Elite screen. My buddy's RP92WH1 (Is that right model for ezFrame?) is on its way. How long have you had the CineTension2 and have you seen it starting to develop any "lines" issues from rolling up and down? The Dalite and Draper tab tensioned screens are so much more expensive than the Elites. Is there a design difference that justifies the cost, or is it simply "charge what you think you can get people to pay" confidence thing?

South Bend, nice town.
post #294 of 1786 Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac770 View Post

Nice setup. Yours is a bit like mine, a smaller "TV" behind the drop down screen. And then you have yet another LCD to the side? Going for the sports bar feel? Will the RPTV be seeing its way out of the house, or do you find times where its still preferred?

Thanks. The 32" flat panel serves two purposes, it can be swung over for two games at the same time (way better that PIP), or so people sitting on the other side of the room at the poker table can still see a screen.

Quote:

How do you like the center speaker mounted up high above the screen like that? I've debated if the sound would be ok with it coming so out of line with eye level. Does it sound like the dialog is coming from above the screen? I'm sure having the fronts up high along with the center helps. Maybe it wouldn't pull off as well since I have front floorstanders.

The center is aimed down quite a bit to the "sweet spot" and I can't tell the difference from when it was mounted on the shelf directly above the RPTV.

Quote:

Oh yeah, on topic, nice Elite screen. My buddy's RP92WH1 (Is that right model for ezFrame?) is on its way. How long have you had the CineTension2 and have you seen it starting to develop any "lines" issues from rolling up and down? The Dalite and Draper tab tensioned screens are so much more expensive than the Elites. Is there a design difference that justifies the cost, or is it simply "charge what you think you can get people to pay" confidence thing?

The Cinetension2 was a warranty replacement for my original Elite Home series screen. It had waves in the material and Elite replaced it. They were out of stock on the 106" Home series so they upgraded me to the Cinetension at no cost.

Quote:

South Bend, nice town.

Not really.

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #295 of 1786 Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM

Hello,

I'm planning to get a 100" Cinetension 1 or 2. I need the 16" drop on the top since the screen will be ceiling mounted.

I'm getting conflicting information from both ProjectorPeople and Elite.

I called Elite and spoke to a salesperson who said that the Cinetension 1 model (TE100HW1) has the 16" drop, while the Cinetension 2 models don't. Elite's web page indicates that the 16" drop is standard. However, a ProjectorPeople sales rep contacted Elite and got this response:
I confirmed with our product manager and none of our screens have the 16" drop.... (our previous screens from 2004, 2005 did...but the vertical drop adjustments were a big issue with many customers and we found that the majority didn't need more than 6" of drop so that's why our models were changed up...) Perhaps the AV FORUM comments are coming from customers who had purchased the older VMAX or CINETENSION screens somewhere....? Again, the website is being corrected...and again, I do apologize for the confusion-

Tks-
National Sales Manager-ELITE SCREENS
So two people inside Elite are giving me different answers. @drcarr (post #279) - your screen has the drop. When did you purchase the screen? Is it an older model by any chance? Is there anyone here who does *not* have the larger drop? I'm confused.

-Chakra Srivatsa.
post #296 of 1786 Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had considered removing my DIY Blackout Cloth (BOC) screen and replacing with an Elite ezFrame screen. I called the company and had them send me samples of the White and Grey for comparion. I got the samples Wednesday and put them up on my BOC screen Wed night to see how they compared.

To my absolute surprise, the White completely blended in with my BOC screen. I put them up on the screen with some tape and walked back to my seat. When I got back to the seat, I thought that the tape had given away and had allowed the sample to fall behind my center channel. I got back up to the screen and to my surprise the White was still adhered. I played some different titles and moved around in the room (off axis) to see if I could notice any difference in scenes (dark & light) to see if there was some compelling reason that I could use for the purchase of the White Elite screen. I couldn't find any. I guess I'm sticking with my BOC...
post #297 of 1786 Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM

I got a definitive answer on the differences between the Cinetension and the Cinetension 2 models.

Cinetension: 16" max black drop
Cinetension 2: 10" max black drop, IR "eye" on left edge of case, 12V trigger

Tech support recommends to NOT use the max drop, but leave 2"-4" inside the roller. For the original model, recommended max drop is 12". For the "2" the max recommended drop is 8".

The original Cinetension models are being phased out. I ordered one of the last TE100HW1 (the warehouse had two left), since I need the larger drop. The newer models have a "2" at the end, like TE100HW2.

Hope that info helps others here.

-Chakra.
post #298 of 1786 Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakrax View Post

IR "eye" on left edge of case...

Mine's on the right.

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #299 of 1786 Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 AM

I have my 92 inch "tension white" screen up (TE92HW2).

I took me about 5 hours to get it up, and that time included rehanging and leveling the projector, running wire for the 12V pickup, running the power cord through the wall and sealing the holes. Putting it up is mostly a 1-man job. You will need a second person for about 5 minutes while you put the screen onto the hangars (one person to hold it up, the other to attach the hangars).

I couldn't be happier. This is one impressive screen. It is easy to put up (other than the part where I had to physically hold up 50 lbs for about 2 minutes), it is super easy to adjust both the drop and the level of the screen and it has a great picture.
post #300 of 1786 Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM

does anyone have a comparison of the Elite screens to the Stewart screens? my concern would be general quality of materials and mechanism. The street pricing I have found shows Elite about 1/3 cost of the Stewarts. thanks/

Why does anyone have to start a sentence with "So"?
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page