post #361 of 1704 Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg1999 View Post

I currently have a 100" cinetension 1 and I have about a 1-2" gap on the top of the image where the actual screen material seems to be cut incorrectly. I read where some users are using tape to tape over the screen to make it look correct.

Due to movers mishandling my screen, I have to get a new one. I purchased the Cinetension 2 and I am hoping this fixes the issue of the screen being "out of whack" with my projector.

Thoughts?

I have a 100" cinetension2 and my picture fits just fine. No issues. Build date was late summer/early fall 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1704 Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post

I have a 100" cinetension2 and my picture fits just fine. No issues. Build date was late summer/early fall 2007.

So I guess they fixed the "enlarged" screen issue to make it fit perfect 16x9. How loud is the motor in the cinetension 2?
post #363 of 1704 Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I guess they fixed the "enlarged" screen issue to make it fit perfect 16x9. How loud is the motor in the cinetension 2?

It's not quiet, but it doesn't sound tortured. Its' smooth, but clearly audible from 16' away. Don't know how else to describe it. It's also short lived, as it only takes 7 seconds or so to go up and down.
post #364 of 1704 Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post

It's not quiet, but it doesn't sound tortured. Its' smooth, but clearly audible from 16' away. Don't know how else to describe it. It's also short lived, as it only takes 7 seconds or so to go up and down.

Good to hear - my cinetension 1 is quite loud, so I welcome a newer motor. Too bad it can't be delivered until after Thanksgiving...
post #365 of 1704 Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 PM

I love my Cinetension 2. Good bang for the buck.
post #366 of 1704 Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Is this an issue for you? I just bought the last series 1 - 84" they had in stock for $495 shipped, which they told me it had the enlarged problem. I really don't mind the image getting out a bit. Is it that disturbing for you?
post #367 of 1704 Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post

Is this an issue for you? I just bought the last series 1 - 84" they had in stock for $495 shipped, which they told me it had the enlarged problem. I really don't mind the image getting out a bit. Is it that disturbing for you?

Well, it does leave a good 2" of the screen without an image. Just a pet peeve.
post #368 of 1704 Old 11-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It would drive me insane, personally. Dealbreaker.
post #369 of 1704 Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Does anyone have the cinetension2 with the 1.8 gain screen? I was wondering how it looks. Does it have hotspots? I am looking at getting one this week. Any input good or bad would be great. Thanks
post #370 of 1704 Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:

What, but from where? The top, sides? I thought if you just zoom your projector a little more than the size of the screen it will fill it.

Mine is 84", which is supposed to height 41". They told me is around 41.3" by the normal width of 73" inches.

Man, I hope I made the right choice because I had to get that screen because of the 18" drop I need for a proper offset.
post #371 of 1704 Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Hey guys anyone handy with modifying the wiring on these elite screens ?

I have an elite vmax100UWH model electric screen with both the power cord and the 4 prong cord that goes from the switch to the screen casing.

So all i am missing is the 3 way switchbox that goes inbetween, elite wants $85 for the kit with cords and remotes (dont need cords or remote) just want the wall switch.

Anyone know how if possible to wire this up to make it work with a different type of wall switch or something?

Or where I can get the 3 way switch itself cheaper than buying that whole kit setup?

Bill
post #372 of 1704 Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:

What, but from where? The top, sides? I thought if you just zoom your projector a little more than the size of the screen it will fill it.

Mine is 84", which is supposed to height 41". They told me is around 41.3" by the normal width of 73" inches.

Man, I hope I made the right choice because I had to get that screen because of the 18" drop I need for a proper offset.

I have zoomed the projector to fit the sides, it just doesnt fit the top/bottom properly.
post #373 of 1704 Old 11-18-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know if you can get an ezFrame with the PowerGain screen material?

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #374 of 1704 Old 11-18-2007, 04:29 PM

anybody knows how much of a extra drop down the cinetension2 135" got?
need to go down about 90 inch from the bottom of the casing to create screen at a good height (so bottom case to bottom of total screen iow bar?
I got a multi level house and a 20foot wall where the screen goes (open area in the wall does not allow me to put the case of the screen lower than 120inch from floor). seating is 15-17 feet from screen

also got a ambient light living room and thinking about P. AX200U with High gain 1.8 screen... any ideas? viewing will be day (HDTV) and night (dark; HDTV and movies). Would size of screen work or will I lose a lot of PQ?

Thanks (awesome forum btw)
post #375 of 1704 Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 PM

Is anyone using the Elite Cinetension perforated screen? I am considering placing the speakers behind the screen so I can go with 120' diag w/ 13 ft seating, PT AE2000 @14 ft throw / ceiling mounted. Room is 15 wide x 21 long 8 1/2' ceiling height. I could put the center speaker below the screen but it would be helpful to have the front left and right in the spce behind the screen.

Just wondering what peoples experiences have been. TIA

Ray
post #376 of 1704 Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 AM

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone here has purchased a replacement screen from Elite for their EZ Frame screen?

I recently purchased a 92" EZ Frame in white, and although I havent installed it yet, I am starting to wonder if I made a mistake and should have bought the gray one instead. Obviously if the cost to replace just the screen material starts to approach the cost of the whole screen/frame setup, I would be better off buying a new screen/frame and selling the "old" one. Also, if anyone is in the opposite scenerio and wants to go white from gray, let me know.

Thanks for the help.
post #377 of 1704 Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Finally got my screen last week and got it mounted during the weekend. I have about a 1" gap from the top and bottom that it's verily seeable. However, I order some black masking tape from findtape.com that should be arriving any time now.

Some words about the screen. It's really amazing. The motor is very quiet and takes about 10 seconds to drop all the way down. I currently have it set to drop 14" from the top to match my Pj offset. HD and Bluray looks fantastic; way better than on my old Elite Home Series.

In conclusion, for $495 I don't think I couldn't have found a better deal. The enlarged thing doesn't bother me at all and will post some pics as soon as the tape arrives.

On quick question, where can I find the date it was made?

Best,
post #378 of 1704 Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM

Currently have the Cinetension1 in Gray, which has been way too dark from day one. I can control my ambient light reasonably well, and have a 61 inch DLP for day time viewing anyway. Because of this, I just ordered a Matte White Series2 to replace my gray screen.

With the gray screen, I had about an inch top and bottom (on 16:9, fit well on 4:3), but because the gray was so dark it really wasn't too noticeable. With the white I am sure it will be. I am a bit hesitant to use tape, as I fear it may come loose and jam up the roller.

Has anyone used tape for an extended period of time with success? If so, what brand?

As an alternative, I have a very low ceiling and can shoot the image right up next to the case. Would it be better to adjust the drop so that the white is still in the case? If there some glare from the case, I think I could use some matte black tape on that, and it wouldn't be very noticeable.

Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.
post #379 of 1704 Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpartyshack View Post

Has anyone used tape for an extended period of time with success? If so, what brand?

As an alternative, I have a very low ceiling and can shoot the image right up next to the case. Would it be better to adjust the drop so that the white is still in the case? If there some glare from the case, I think I could use some matte black tape on that, and it wouldn't be very noticeable.

Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I used 1" electric black tape for about a year to fill my old Elite screen home series until I replaced my PJ. No problem what so ever.

I think you will notice the gap on the new screen and you could use the same tape I ordered for mine. Trust me you'll have no problems what so ever with this tape.
post #380 of 1704 Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I ordered for mine. Trust me you'll have no problems what so ever with this tape.

Thanks very much, I have bookmarked that site and will see what I have to work with when I get the screen next week. I have read here that the actual image area can vary significantly, so maybe I will get lucky and not need it (although I'm certainly not counting on it).
post #381 of 1704 Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpartyshack View Post

Thanks very much, I have bookmarked that site and will see what I have to work with when I get the screen next week. I have read here that the actual image area can vary significantly, so maybe I will get lucky and not need it (although I'm certainly not counting on it).

You're welcome. How do you know your screen is defective? Did they tell you? When I bought mine they told me it was defective and gave a great discount. Remember mine is the series 1, which now is discontinued.
post #382 of 1704 Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 PM

It seems that my TE-106HW2 is on backorder until January. I am wondering if I should go for the High Contrast model. I have an Epson 1080P Home Cinema in a room with minimal ambient light. As in, I have blackourcurtains, but some light does come in via the stairwell.

Should I wait or grab the High Contrast?
post #383 of 1704 Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:

It seems that my TE-106HW2 is on backorder until January. I am wondering if I should go for the High Contrast model. I have an Epson 1080P Home Cinema in a room with minimal ambient light. As in, I have blackourcurtains, but some light does come in via the stairwell.

Should I wait or grab the High Contrast?

Hmmm. I just ordered the exact same screen yesterday, and was told I should have it in 6-10 days. I am in Virginia as well, and that took into account the coast to coast shipping. She double checked the computer inventory at Elite and said it should be no problem. I may call back now just to verify.

At to your question . . be patient, and DO NOT get the High Contrast Gray, especially if you have minimal ambient light. It is way too dark. I know from experience, as that is what I have now, and why I am ordering the Matte White. I had a professional calibrate my DLP and projector, he said the gain on the gray is no where close to 1.1, and measured out to just above 0.6. FWIW, my projector is a Panny AE900.

One caveat, my gray screen is about a year old Series 1, but I doubt the screen material has changed that much.

Good luck . . .

EDIT: Just called . . she said it shipped from the manufacturer today and confirmed the model number. She also said she would have Elite send an email with a tracking number by the end of the day. PM me if you want the company name, pricing, etc.
post #384 of 1704 Old 11-21-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:

You're welcome. How do you know your screen is defective? Did they tell you? When I bought mine they told me it was defective and gave a great discount. Remember mine is the series 1, which now is discontinued.

I'm not sure if it is defective, I have truthfully never measured against the specs as it never bothered me. It is a Series1 as well, almost a year old.
post #385 of 1704 Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM

well I'm sure someone on here will somehow turn things around and try to blame me for this problem I had with Elite. Do me a favor though and don't waste your time writing back if that's the case. I'm not going to get in an argument with someone who wasn't involved.

for those of you who may find my situation useful - here is my tale of woe:

I have a room that is 20X24 with 20" ceiling. The projector is mounted 8' from the floor and 18' from the screen. Seating is 22' from the screen. The backwall where the screen is mounted is 80% glass windows and there are no other windows in the room. I called Elite to discuss size, materials and THE FACT THE SCREEN WOULD BE IN FRONT OF WINDOWS. We came up with the 150 inch, Cinetension 2, white matte. I was reassured that the screen WOULD HAVE SOFT BLACK VINYL BACKING that would BLOCK SUNLIGHT FROM THE REAR.

Since my windows face west, I was quite concerned with having a screen in front of them so I went on the Elite website and read through materials and found a PDF file that showed a picture of the screen material having 2 layers with the words - soft vinyl backing "prevents light penetration" the pdf is still on the website here http://elitescreens.com/pdf/Elite_Sc...tion_Guide.pdf

OK that's great right? I called an AVS Forums sponsor and ordered my Pana AX200 and asked them to confirm one last time that the Elite Cinetension screen would have backing materials to stop light. They confirmed "yes you will be fine" so I ordered the 150" motorized screen.

Screen was delivered 2 days past the eta - no big deal - and packaging was good. This thing weighs about 80 pounds. I got the kids and wife to help mount it about 12 feet up , very level. Then we pushed the remote button to lower it. Surprise surprise you can see through the screen. NO BLACK BACKING!!

My calls back to the retailer started the Elite process. I take pictures with the sun shining through the screen and showing the white backing. E-mails are sent to Elite. Guess what - they nonchalantly say "on no, the screen doesn't have black backing but maybe in February 2008 it will". geez then why does your website and your sales department say differently???

well I tried to talking to the president of the company but got passed around to no avail. I was looking for some kind of creative solution but their feedback was "oh well". Taking this screen down, repacking it and getting pick up via truck to ship back is a major pain - it is quite oversize and overweight. The screen works fine and is very nice at night. The family has fallen in love with the Pana AX200 and 150" screen for late afternoon through early morning viewing. Elite is offering a 15% refund. I guess that is all they can do since they claim they do NOT have a screen with black backing regardless of what their website says.

I couldn't afford a $6000 Stewart screen so I went with Elite. I have now gotten quotes for motorized shades from $1400 - $2500. this looks like my only option if I want to keep my windows clear when I am not using the screen.

I thought I would share my experience just in case anyone else is expecting to use an Elite Screen with light behind it and thinking it will will have a backing material. If anyone has any ideas or know places to get motorized shades 150" wide cheap, please let me know. I've even thought about buying a second screen from Elite and painting it black than hanging it behind the white screen.
LL

Why does anyone have to start a sentence with "So"?
post #386 of 1704 Old 11-21-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastturb View Post

I guess that is all they can do since they claim they do NOT have a screen with black backing regardless of what their website says.

Are you saying Elite is claiming that *none* of their screens have the black backing or just your particular model? I've been looking at their ezFrame screens and have seen the black backing feature mentioned all over the Elite website and on dealer webpages.

If you're getting nowhere with Elite, I'd check with your dealer. They are at least partially responsible in telling you "yes, you will be fine."

I really only see two options:

1. See if Elite or your dealer will pay the freight for you to send it back and give you a refund (hopefully 100%).
2. Settle for a discounted price.

I'd probably try to get a full refund....from the look of that pic, I wouldn't think you'd be happy with the screen as is.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #387 of 1704 Old 11-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Here is my Elite SilverFrame 100" 16:9 screen in action. Many pictures were taken with a crooked tripod and without the screen 'supporting bar' in the back. The screen needs the back bar to restraigten the frame and further tension the screen.
http://picasaweb.google.com/imuesmai...ey=Fe2fVz3zUqU
gasdoc

at somepoint you stop the research and just buy it
post #388 of 1704 Old 11-23-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

I was reassured that the screen WOULD HAVE SOFT BLACK VINYL BACKING that would BLOCK SUNLIGHT FROM THE REAR.

I recently received samples of the 3 screen materials offered with the Cinetension 2 and they had black backing. Perhaps the black backing is only available for screen sizes up to something less than your 150" model. I have a similar situation for the HT that I'm getting ready to build (6 windows with 3 behind the screen to deal with) and I've elected to go with manual light blocking roll-down shades on all of the windows since with a front projector you really need to stop all light (or as near as you can get) from entering the room when watching TV. These roll-down shades have 3 layers of material with a black layer of vinyl facing the inside of the room, a layer of fiberglass (for light blocking) and a layer of white vinyl facing the window. I'm not certain that simply adding a layer of black vinyl to the back of the screen material would really be sufficient to totally block direct sunlight. I would also be concerned with direct sunlight on the back of the screen (especially with black backing) causing sections of the screen material to get quite hot and over the long term resulting in stretching and sagging of the screen material.

Also in your photo there are a lot of waves evident at the bottom right and left corners of the screen. Have you tried to adjust the tension to eliminate these?

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #389 of 1704 Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 AM

here is one of the e-mail exchanges regarding the "black backing":

From: Charlie Barrentos [mailto:charles.b@elitescreens.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:54 PM
Cc: jeffchen@elitescreens.com; 'Elena Marquez'; 'Ruben Villanueva'
Subject: RE: Customer filled in service form

Please let this customer know that those screens do not currently come with a black back. I was informed that we do not have screens with black vinyl backing in stock at this time. However, we will have some available in February. We know this is a long time to wait, so I was authorized to offer the customer a discount to keep the screen as is. If this isn't enough for him, I was told we can also accept a return for credit.

I'm not entirely sure how his facilities are set up to use his screen, but I know the screens aren't designed to be used/hung directly in front of a window. If he hangs the screen away from the window, there will be no problems, and images will be displayed on his screen perfectly, with no glare or distortion.

Please contact the customer and let him know. If you or he has any questions, feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

"Charlie" Barrentos

Elite Screens, Inc.
16410 Manning Way
Cerritos, CA 90703
Phone: (562) 483-8198 Ext.202
Fax: (562) 926-8655
charles.b@elitescreens.com

Warranty Service Form:
http://elitescreens.com/service_form.htm
Warranty Policy:
http://elitescreens.com/warranty_policy.pdf
Manuals/FAQs:
http://elitescreens.com/faq.htm

as far as the wrinkles/waves, I have adjusted the tension and removed most of the waves. I've left the screen hang down overnight and hope they will finally flatten out. If you tighten the tension too much you actually add waves and wrinkles. It may be something to do with how large this screen is and maybe smaller screens don't have the problem. Too bad the president of the company is not interested in customer service.

I know there are some folks in this discussion that love and recommend Elite from their experiences. But from my experience - buyer beware.

Why does anyone have to start a sentence with "So"?
post #390 of 1704 Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too bad the president of the company is not interested in customer service.

I know there are some folks in this discussion that love and recommend Elite from their experiences. But from my experience - buyer beware.

Not trying to be argumentative, but in your opinion, what would be good customer service and resolve the situation (i.e. what would you do if you were the president of Elite)? I understand how you are frustrated, but I'm yet to read what you expect.

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page