Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1678 Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzh10 View Post

We've been told the ceiling trim kits aren't available until late March, but we have one on order for an installation with a Cinetension2

thanks for the quick reply please post pics when able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1678 Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into getting a new screen to go with my new theater setup and projector. I've almost settled on 150" as the image size I want. I've previously owned an Elite 96" manual screen, and was satisfied with the quality for the price. My first instinct would be to just get a bigger version of the same screen.

But, I am worried that at that size waves/wrinkles will be unavoidable. The screen will be in the down position 99.9% of the time, if that effects the chances of getting waves. Given that I really dont need to roll the screen up, I am considering a fixed screen. Elite looks like the make a good fixed screen that is also tensioned, but its roughly 2x the cost. Not to mention that I'd have to get creative with mounting options as there are some "features" on the wall in question that a pull down screen would avoid.

Any advice? I am open to other screen options.
post #453 of 1678 Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 AM

does anyone have usb-uirt or even pronto codes for the motorized home series elite screens?

I lost my remote, but have a usb-uirt that I could use instead.. I just need the codes.

I tried the ones here http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...otorizedscreen

but with no success. I also saw some "codes" in the documentation that comes with them, but those don't seem to work either, at least in the software i'm using (xlobby or girder)

thanks!
post #454 of 1678 Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Liked: 13
I bit the bullet and ordered my sister-in-law a VMAX2 AccousticPro motirzed screen. I will let you all know how it turns out. I guess I am an AVS guinea pig for this one!
post #455 of 1678 Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Any ideas on an Elite screen around 92" for a Mitsubishi HC1500???
post #456 of 1678 Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

Any ideas on an Elite screen around 92" for a Mitsubishi HC1500???

Are you looking for fixed frame, electric or manual?

Also, what is your room like as far as ambient light?

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #457 of 1678 Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

probably looking for a manual since i live in an apartment and there is no good way to hide an electrics power cable. The room is white...eeek. and the ambient light in the room will be covered up with blinds and then curtains. I was looking at the 92" pulldown Silvergrey. Is this any good?
post #458 of 1678 Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

Are you looking for fixed frame, electric or manual?

Also, what is your room like as far as ambient light?

I am curious as well although, my projector is a optoma hd70. I want a grey 106" screen...i sit 14 feet back and have slight/controllable light coming through my slider window. I am looking at grey screens but i keep seeing that the sellers say thier for LCD projectors...

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #459 of 1678 Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

I am curious as well although, my projector is a optoma hd70. I want a grey 106" screen...i sit 14 feet back and have slight/controllable light coming through my slider window. I am looking at grey screens but i keep seeing that the sellers say thier for LCD projectors...

i disagree wth grey screens being for LCD's. If you have a room with white walls and ambient light and it will be good no matter what in my opinion. Perhaps not a dark grey but more silver
post #460 of 1678 Old 04-18-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

so do all the Elite Pull Downs get waves? Im looking at the 92" M92UCH silver grey finish. Any advise?
post #461 of 1678 Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

I suspect the suggestion that the gray screens are better for LCD projectors is a hold over from the LCD projectors from a couple of years ago. They were notorious for the poor black levels. The gray screen would have helped with that even in a fully darkened room.

There is still a good reason to use a gray screen if you are not setting up a dedicated theater room with black surfaces and no lights. Many of us are now setting up our projectors in family and living rooms. The conditions are typically not ideal. Lighter colored walls, white ceilings, and poor light blockage on windows are more common. Any ambient light in the room, be it from leakage around blinds, low ambient lighting, or even the light from the screen reflecting off the light colored walls, will illuminate the darker areas of the image and reveal the screen color. If the screen is white then the image will get washed out.

A gray screen will significantly improve the image in the presence of some ambient light but will not have as detrimental an effect on the image in dark conditions as you might think.

Here is a comparison of a white panel and a gray panel with some ambient light.

Note how washed out the white image looks.

Then we turn the lights off, the white screen is a bit brighter.
The gray screen demonstrates a little reduction in the brightness of the whites.

However, the loss of brightness on the gray screen should be properly compensated for when you do a Brightness & Contrast calibration.

Not calibrating for the gray screen is something many don't know to do, myself included. Once I discovered the THX Optimizer on my Terminator II DVD and used it to set the brightness and contrast for my gray screen I was a lot happier with the image brightness.

In short, gray screens, now, are more for ambient light compensation than to compensate for the poor black levels of obsolete LCD projectors.
post #462 of 1678 Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

so do all the Elite Pull Downs get waves? Im looking at the 92" M92UCH silver grey finish. Any advise?

I started shopping for a screen two years ago. I did buy a screen back then but I still take a close look at every retractable screen I come across. Most are screens in conference rooms and some have been screens in pubs. I have yet to find one retractable screen that did not have V waves.

If you can afford one of the Elite Cinetension screens I would highly recommend you consider it.

When you consider that for less than $1000 you get an electric retractable screen with both IR and RF remote and it is tab tensioned it really is a very good deal.
post #463 of 1678 Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 PM

I just bought and hung a VMax 100" screen (16:9), and thought I'd share my experience. This is the third screen I've owned. The first was a cheap manual DaLite, and most recently a more expensive DaLite Cosmopolitan Tensioned screen).

I recently got a Panasonic AX200U and wanted a 16:9 screen, which is why I got the Elite VMax.

Arrival and Unpacking

The screen was unceremoniously left on the doorstep by FexEx without a signature. Strange, because I live is a relatively high theft area of San Francisco, and they usually don't leave anything without a signature. After noticing a dent in the box, I suspected that perhaps the driver didn't want to deal with a damage claim.

The dent didn't look bad, so I unpacked the screen. It was packed pretty well, and survived undamaged. There were two flaws that didn't look related to shipping:

(1) The back of the case was bent in strange way, as if someone tried to pick up the screen by wrapping their hand around the sheet metal in the center of the case. This must have occurred before the projector was packed.

(2) The black paint on the case was uneven, parts were glossy and other parts were matte.

After hanging the screen however, both these flaws aren't visible.

Mounting

I mounted the screen from chains hanging from the ceiling. Easy job, except that the sheet metal at the ends with the holes was so thin that it bent by 45 degrees when the screen tapped the wall while I was lifting it. I fixed it with some pliers, but it would be nice if the metal was a bit thicker

There are 2 adjustment screws to control both the drop and the closing position. Once I found it, the drop screw was relatively easy to reach with a hex wrench (not included). It was not sensitive: I had to turn it about 23 times to get to the drop position I needed.

The close position adjustment screw is completely unreachable without dismantling the case. Luckily, the screen closed correctly (not too tight and didn't leave anything hanging) so I didn't need to adjust this.

The screen is very slow going up and down (30 seconds vs. 7 for the DaLite), but almost completely silent. The remote controls (IR & RF) came with a battery each, but one battery was completely dead. The remotes themselves are poorly built but seem to work fine.

The control box attaches to the projector with a wire that's only about 6-8 feel long, which is a bit annoying. I'd prefer to put the box somewhere farther way from the projector, but since it's a proprietary (4-pin) cable, I'll have to live with it. Also, the cable plugs into the projector at the top, not the back, which causes two problems: (1) the cable is visible after it's mounted, and (2) the cable is pressing against the chains holding the screen, since the chains are at a 45 degree angle. Hopefully it will last.

Picture and Size

The size of the screen seems a tiny bit off the 16:9 ratio, though I haven't measured it. If so, it's only perhaps 0.3 inches too high, so it's not really noticeable. The material is very similar to Dalite's Matte White, so the picture really had no surprises, good or bad. With a calibration DVD, I was able to get a pretty stunning picture (due mostly, no doubt, to the Panasonic).

There are some waves in the screen when it's fully extended, but they are pretty minor and not really noticeable when watching a film. It's nowhere near as flat as my tensioned screen, but then again, it's much better than my old DaLite manual pull down, which had some very obvious waves.

Summary

Overall, I was happily surprised with the screen, given the sub $300 price. It had some manufacturing flaws, but none visible after the screen was hung. Why they didn't provide a longer cable for the control box is beyond me, and is probably one of the biggest flaws. The screen material itself was fine, and the motor is silent (but slow). While not as flat as a tensioned screen, it has no major waves. The screen has big drop (I think 18"), which gives you lots of flexibility when mounting.

Hope this helps!
post #464 of 1678 Old 05-20-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Grabbed a 120" elite matte white screen to replace my 106" m2500 fixed frame screen today.

Couldn't pass up the compusa $99 price...

Robert Clark
post #465 of 1678 Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Grabbed a 120" elite matte white screen to replace my 106" m2500 fixed frame screen today.

Couldn't pass up the compusa $99 price...

Please tell me what are your impressions. I had the 100" matte white and the screen texture / sparklies on bright scenes annoyed the hell out of me.
post #466 of 1678 Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Hello, my roommate and I just installed the elite 106 cinetension cinawhite today and we were wondering where the stop screw is so we can sit it up where we want it to stop. Any help would be great. Love it so far.
post #467 of 1678 Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Sparklies on matte white? That doesn't sound good...

Robert Clark
post #468 of 1678 Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Sure doesn't. My screen had a sheen which made bright scenes look nasty. Hope your new screen won't be like mine.
post #469 of 1678 Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 AM

tngreene: Great write up buddy!

I own the VMAX 100" white too since a full year now and no regret, for 300$, this screen worth it.

Only complain so far, borders started to roll up forward, no much throught, only 1in or so on the black border. The white screen is still 100% flat.

What I've done to "fix it" is to stick 6 wire retention plastic clip (3 on each side) on the wall so I can grab the screen on the edge.

My clips are like thoses, just leave them open it will give enough gap to slide the screen in and the plastic is enough flexible to open it wide to remove the screen if you need to pull it up; just don't forget that before!

http://www.szwasun.com/en/ketiaosi_peixian_gdz_1.htm

http://www.szwasun.com/en/ketiaosi_peixian_gdz_1.htm
post #470 of 1678 Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM

I just received a 135" Cinetension II screen this week. It came well packaged and was easy to install. Works great the picture I get is better than my DIY Polywall screen I made from material at Lowes. I got the matte white and am very satisfied.
post #471 of 1678 Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay912 View Post

Sure doesn't. My screen had a sheen which made bright scenes look nasty. Hope your new screen won't be like mine.

You guys had me worried.

My Elite M120H Matte White arrived and I threw it up in front of my M2500 1.8 gain angular reflective screen (106" diag).

Love the black case. Pulled the screen down and examined the surface. No problems noted. Fired up the Mitsu HC1500 and put on a BD.

There are no sparklies, no visible texture, and definitely no sheen on my screen. Whew. It also has the fewest waves of any pull down screen I've owned, including my old HighPower (80" wide).
I am missing the "pop" of the M2500, brightness, contrast, and colors all seem a bit muted but the huge 120" screen is a nice tradeoff (particularly when watching a double bill of the Lakers/Spurs final game and season finale of Lost).

I will end up with a 120" HighPower, (and a 1080p DLP) but for now, I can't think of a better screen bargain than this one at $99 shipped...

Robert Clark
post #472 of 1678 Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 AM

Robert,

I'm glad your screen didn't have any of the negative effects I saw on my screen. Mine was actually model M100XWH MaxWhite bought from VisualApex, probably different from your M100H. My projector is also an HC1500.

Keith
post #473 of 1678 Old 06-01-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay912 View Post

Robert,

I'm glad your screen didn't have any of the negative effects I saw on my screen. Mine was actually model M100XWH MaxWhite bought from VisualApex, probably different from your M100H. My projector is also an HC1500.

Keith

Ah, that makes sense. When I asked Elite for samples, they sent me quite a few that were some variation of "white", including MaxWhite. Examining my screen closely, I can see some slight horizontal banding (very slight) that would probably be much more noticable on a high gain screen (such as my M2500).

Robert Clark
post #474 of 1678 Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Does any forum member know (for certain) if the Powergain screen material is retro-reflective or angular-reflective. I interested in it for use with a ceiling mounted projector where a angular-reflective screen is the better choice.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #475 of 1678 Old 06-03-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys had me worried.

My Elite M120H Matte White arrived and I threw it up in front of my M2500 1.8 gain angular reflective screen (106" diag).

Love the black case. Pulled the screen down and examined the surface. No problems noted. Fired up the Mitsu HC1500 and put on a BD.

There are no sparklies, no visible texture, and definitely no sheen on my screen. Whew. It also has the fewest waves of any pull down screen I've owned, including my old HighPower (80" wide).
I am missing the "pop" of the M2500, brightness, contrast, and colors all seem a bit muted but the huge 120" screen is a nice tradeoff (particularly when watching a double bill of the Lakers/Spurs final game and season finale of Lost).

I will end up with a 120" HighPower, (and a 1080p DLP) but for now, I can't think of a better screen bargain than this one at $99 shipped...

Just a question for you on your old M2500 vs. new M120H. As for the "nice tradeoff" you mention, did the M2500 have any specific issues (sparklies, sheen, etc.) that troubled you or did you go to the new 120" M120H just to get a larger screen screen?

Ron Jones
post #476 of 1678 Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought the m120mh simply because it was $99 and 120", and my m2500 is 106". The m2500 is in many ways a marvelous screen, a high gain retro reflective screen, but it has a verticle texture, often referred to as "tire tracks". High Power is still the king of screens and I'll buy another one someday. But I wanted a 120" and for $99 it was a no brainer.

Robert Clark
post #477 of 1678 Old 06-03-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought the m120mh simply because it was $99 and 120", and my m2500 is 106". The m2500 is in many ways a marvelous screen, a high gain retro reflective screen, but it has a verticle texture, often referred to as "tire tracks". High Power is still the king of screens and I'll buy another one someday. But I wanted a 120" and for $99 it was a no brainer.

I've read that Draper had quality control problems with their m2500 material (is the one you have a Draper? I haven't seen a model number like that from Elite).

Ron Jones
post #478 of 1678 Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, it's the Draper... great screen, unfortunate marks...

Robert Clark
post #479 of 1678 Old 06-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Well, I bought an Elite Cinetension 2 High Contrast 120" screen. Mounted it on the wall. Hit the descend button. And then the screen came down a whole .5 inches and then stopped and hummed at me. I guess that is what I get for saving a few bucks and going with elite. Actually, I guess it could happen with any brand. I guess now it is up to Elite to come through on the warranty and make me happy. Wish me luck!
post #480 of 1678 Old 06-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

I suspect the suggestion that the gray screens are better for LCD projectors is a hold over from the LCD projectors from a couple of years ago. They were notorious for the poor black levels. The gray screen would have helped with that even in a fully darkened room.

There is still a good reason to use a gray screen if you are not setting up a dedicated theater room with black surfaces and no lights. Many of us are now setting up our projectors in family and living rooms. The conditions are typically not ideal. Lighter colored walls, white ceilings, and poor light blockage on windows are more common. Any ambient light in the room, be it from leakage around blinds, low ambient lighting, or even the light from the screen reflecting off the light colored walls, will illuminate the darker areas of the image and reveal the screen color. If the screen is white then the image will get washed out.

A gray screen will significantly improve the image in the presence of some ambient light but will not have as detrimental an effect on the image in dark conditions as you might think.

Here is a comparison of a white panel and a gray panel with some ambient light.

Note how washed out the white image looks.

Then we turn the lights off, the white screen is a bit brighter.
The gray screen demonstrates a little reduction in the brightness of the whites.

However, the loss of brightness on the gray screen should be properly compensated for when you do a Brightness & Contrast calibration.

Not calibrating for the gray screen is something many don't know to do, myself included. Once I discovered the THX Optimizer on my Terminator II DVD and used it to set the brightness and contrast for my gray screen I was a lot happier with the image brightness.

In short, gray screens, now, are more for ambient light compensation than to compensate for the poor black levels of obsolete LCD projectors.

Any way you can try to repost these 2 pics? They are not showing up. I'd like to see the difference.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page